• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I dunno. I mean, yes they absolutely are brutal, but also this game gives you *way* more tools to work with than the previous ones (especially the ability to go back into stealth).
True. You can go back into stealth but there are some encounters where you're screwed because there is less cover. You spend a long time patiently taking out enemies but then you're spotted with no way to escape.

Anung

Un Rama
Just finished Crushing. Exposes a lot of the weaknesses of combat and the encounters. The last few chapters are infuriating bullshit. I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to walk away hating huge parts of the game.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Beat the game the other day. So good.

Had tons of fun with the stealth...always got so close to clearing everyone till someone spotted me or a dead body lol.

Throwing grenades in a stealth position is fun too lol.

Pilgrimzero

Just beat it. Loved everything
except the final sword fight.

Great send off if they never make another.

Would love to see more of
Cassie even if it might step on Laras toes.

ActWan

I didn't think I would be amazed from the graphics...and I wasn't.
At first that is...after I got to the
spanish prison
at the start of the game...just HOLY SHIT. Those fucking plants holy fuck I spent atleast an hour just hanging out in that area

Finally beat it! No more living in fear of spoilers. It was a near flawless experience the whole way through and definitely the best uncharted game, no question. Also the ending was perfect, what a send off.

My only gripe that I can think of is the
lack of any supernatural elements in the story. oh well maybe for the DLC

Finally beat it! No more living in fear of spoilers. It was a near flawless experience the whole way through and definitely the best uncharted game, no question. Also the ending was perfect, what a send off.

I can't be the only one not at all expecting supernatural elements, right? It seems to me that they accidentally became a series staple despite none of the games after 1 really needing them. In that game, they came at the perfect time to shake up the chore that shooting goons was beginning to become. In 2, they were there sort of to set the tone of the mysticalness of Shambala, I guess? But really they just felt like elements bleeding over from the first. In 3, they were just a cameo whimper of a thing to make it feel like crazy things were happening, even though it was just whatever (much like the rest of that game, I might add). In 4, all things considered, like the fact that the storytelling is more grounded than ever and the supernatural stuff has been on the down swing, it just seemed to make sense they'd drop it.

kennyamr

in fact in the opposite, in glad they dropped it. this one felt more grounded and real, with a real attainable treasure and story. perfect.

Fucking hell! Now thats how its done!
And even in constant mid-air swinging motion, nailing his shots mid-swing with a high explosive against groups of enemies he was still black and white by the end there from the constant precision fire from enemies at all angles.

Enemies are too accurate for that style of play to be dependable. You get those moments, others you just ragdoll out of the sky. It can feel random and punishing for being that kind of action movie creative.

Maybe this game is built to be played on easy. Might give that a shot ;p

The Ummah

Banned
Finished the game, loved it. Wish I knew though about what happened
to Nadine.

Same here. I feel like they have a couple plot branches open for future use in some way (Nadine, Sam/Sully tag team, Cassie/Elena/Drake).

Would love to see her story fleshed out a bit more. Great character.

Same here. I feel like they have a couple plot branches open for future use in some way (Nadine, Sam/Sully tag team, Cassie/Elena/Drake).

Would love to see her story fleshed out a bit more. Great character.
Honestly, all of those things are more left up to your imagination or the implications of the events of the story. They're not there to be spelled out for you. That's the charm and their place in the story.

leng jai

That gif further proves just how creative the combat is. You're creating your own blockbuster encounter.

Yeah but stuff like that is virtually impossible on anything higher than normal since all the enemies have pinpoint accuracy and you die in 3 hits.

Jennipeg

I loved the sense of place the island had, it feels like its own character. I thought there was a lot of diversity in environments still (and the best looking ones) and it has most of the best combat encounters and story moments. The build up to it and the discovery of the pirate story there was fantastic as well

Same here, the sense of discovery was stronger in UC4. The gradual realisation of what happened was fantastic, that's one thing they lifted straight out of TLOU. Also
The barricaded courtyard and the dining room with all the skeletons blew my tiny mind. No big set piece required, they were still 'holy shit' moments for me.

I always enjoyed the single area of UC1, I liked being stranded on an island, it gave it a bit more of a survival horror feel, especially when you get to that part. That's what I liked about 2013 Tomb Raider. UC4 was a mixture of the grand adventure from 2 and 3, and the trapped feeling of 1.

Dmax3901

Something that I can't quite fathom:
how the King's Bay car chase sequence was the most impressive in the entire game. Like I get you gotta go all guns blazing in the marketing but shit... I was so disappointed that that was spoiled. And then when you get back to the hotel I was like "oh yeah Elena's gonna be there". It ruined a powerfully emotional scene cause I knew she was gonna be there.

Something that I can't quite fathom:
how the King's Bay car chase sequence was the most impressive in the entire game. Like I get you gotta go all guns blazing in the marketing but shit... I was so disappointed that that was spoiled. And then when you get back to the hotel I was like "oh yeah Elena's gonna be there". It ruined a powerfully emotional scene cause I knew she was gonna be there.
The meat of the scene is the exchanges between the characters given the circumstances and where they go from there, not the surprise that she shows up. Knowing that she pops in at that point does not ruin much of anything IMO.

TyGLynx

Neo Member
I didn't think I would be amazed from the graphics...and I wasn't.
At first that is...after I got to the
spanish prison
at the start of the game...just HOLY SHIT. Those fucking plants holy fuck I spent atleast an hour just hanging out in that area
Panamá
it's not Spain

Dmax3901

The meat of the scene is the exchanges between the characters given the circumstances and where they go from there, not the surprise that she shows up. Knowing that she pops in at that point does not ruin much of anything IMO.

Maybe not in the grand scheme of things, but it certainly ruined that moment of "Oh shit caught red-handed".

Maybe not in the grand scheme of things, but it certainly ruined that moment of "Oh shit caught red-handed".
I personally wouldn't have showed it off, but it is kind of an inevitability anyway. I don't think a single person playing this game would not guess how it would turn out. It'd be lol-worthy if the game ended with Nate just going home and Elena just doing the dishes totally naive-like.

I love this section of the game.
aogO4DL.gif

Dmax3901

I personally wouldn't have showed it off, but it is kind of an inevitability anyway. I don't think a single person playing this game would not guess how it would turn out. It'd be lol-worthy if the game ended with Nate just going home and Elena just doing the dishes totally naive-like.

It was such a great sequence of events, right from the moment you leave the clocktower with Sully right up until the hotel, even with already seeing it play out at E3. I guess my issue (not even issue really, just find it interesting) is that balance of having an impressive first showing of the game, VS saving things for that first playthrough.

pupcoffee

Starting a 2nd playthrough on Hard mode.

Gotta say, if you actually make yourself care about the treasures, the quiet parts of the game are more interesting to run/climb around in if you are like me and get paranoid, looking everywhere (and dammit, I missed THAT many? How?) It feels less like "playing through" a section, more like "hanging out" in one. Kind of like how, say, Grand Theft Auto V feels when you decide to just hang out in a place in GTAV without shooting anything. I'm liking it.

pupcoffee

The game introduces minor mechanics and drops them fairly often.

You only carry boxes underwater once. You only pick-pocket once. You only search around in draws/boxes for an item once. You only climb around spotlights once. etc.

whoszed

This is a fun game

I guess the downside to playing on hard is that often you get shot down in a matter of seconds if you try to pull shit like that when there's dozens of guys shooting at you. Specifically that part of the game was a bit rough as it did not emphasize the strengths of the game (planning your attack, sneaking around and picking off guys one at a time).

Am i the only that liked
the final sword fight

I actually found it one of the most atmospheric boss fights I've ever played.
Yes it was kind of easy and they introduced a new mechanic which i generally don't like it when done in other games, but here to me it made sense, because the story is about pirates and it fitted perfectly as a climax for the final arc of the story.Even after finishing the game i get goosebumps when thinking about this fight, because of raving Rafe, because of the setting, because of the music they nailed everything about this fight IMO.
I think people don't like this fight because they died a couple of times (me included) without knowing what to do, but honesty Rafe does the same moves over and over again so it's just a pattern boss

Laws00

I don't think this is a spoiler because it's pretty common

Every time I hit/touch a waterfall it seems in this game or some form or part of water Drake says, "AH, FRESHING!"

Is that a reference i'm missing to something from a past game?

The only thing that comes to mind to me for this is in the 3rd game where.......
You're dying of thirst in the desert and you fall down the well all the while looking for some water.

valkyre

Am i the only that liked
the final sword fight

Yes it was kind of easy and they introduced a new mechanic which i generally don't like it when done in other games, but here to me it made sense, because the story is about pirates and it fitted perfectly as a climax for the final arc of the story.Even after finishing the game i get goosebumps when thinking about this fight, because of raving Rafe, because of the setting, because of the music they nailed everything about this fight IMO.
I think people don't like this fight because they died a couple of times (me included) without knowing what to do, but honesty Rafe does the same moves over and over again so it's just a pattern boss

I loved it.

The whole build up to it, the dialogue, the music, the stakes. Everything clicked for me.

Initially
i thought it would just be a QTE event and nothing more. But then I realized that I can also attack, move around and time my slashes, instead of just parrying the enemy attacks. It felt like a real sword fight to me and I absolutely loved the mocap work done for this specific scene.

Granted higher difficulties are certainly going to ruin the excitement due to the completely unforgiving nature of it.

I guess the downside to playing on hard is that often you get shot down in a matter of seconds if you try to pull shit like that when there's dozens of guys shooting at you. Specifically that part of the game was a bit rough as it did not emphasize the strengths of the game (planning your attack, sneaking around and picking off guys one at a time).
Yeah, as someone that played on hard I noticed this as well. Uncharted 4's best attributes don't often accommodate the harder difficulties. This is pretty much my biggest gripe with the game. I tried to swing like a madman but the game was like stop having fun.

valkyre

Yeah, as someone that played on hard I noticed this as well. Uncharted 4's best attributes don't often accommodate the harder difficulties. This is pretty much my biggest gripe with the game. I tried to swing like a madman but the game was like stop having fun.

True, its really meant to be played on normal for first playthrough. Crushing is really hard this time around, to the point that I believe it was designed with cheats in mind (thats why cheats dont disable trophies) in order to have fun playing that.

Not that it is impossible to complete the game on crushing, first go, its just that it is a pain to do so and almost all of the crazy shit you are able to do normally are simply prohibited to attempt on crushing.

It works, you just need to move around a lot. I love the combat on higher difficulties, expect for the final two chapters or so, when the envrionments are less sandboxy than they are in the rest of the game and basically become a scramble for power weapons.

Am i the only that liked
the final sword fight

Absolutely loved it.

nib95

Banned
And even in constant mid-air swinging motion, nailing his shots mid-swing with a high explosive against groups of enemies he was still black and white by the end there from the constant precision fire from enemies at all angles.

Enemies are too accurate for that style of play to be dependable. You get those moments, others you just ragdoll out of the sky. It can feel random and punishing for being that kind of action movie creative.

Maybe this game is built to be played on easy. Might give that a shot ;p

To be fair, that's the single hardest encounter in the entire game, and on top of that he had an entire army firing at him. If he hadn't gone black and white it would have been ridiculous, unless he was playing on Explorer or something.

MrJTeera

Man, wish I could pull more sick melee animations. The enemies don't really put up much of a fight in Moderate and lower difficulties, and pulling those off in Hard and Crushing would usually resulted in death.

Man, wish I could pull more sick melee animations. The enemies don't really put up much of a fight in Moderate and lower difficulties, and pulling those off in Hard and Crushing would usually resulted in death.

I think I got over 100 melee kills on my Hard playthrough, so it's definitely doable. You just need to time your actions well. :)

valkyre

I am not sure I understand. I have finished the game in Hard and normal and I have seen equally great melee animations in both playthroughs.

In fact I would say that in normal difficulty it was even more enjoyable.

Top Bottom