• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

THIS is the game where all of that crazy stuff from UC3 (large scale ship graveyard chaos, sandstorm shootout, hand to hand brawls, shootout in a burning/collapsing Chateau, shootout in a capsizing ship, the airport stuff, etc.) would've worked, but we never get anything really over the top.

I remember thinking this the entire time in 4. Everything in 3 becomes fantastic with 4's mechanics, particularly the bolded — I remember dudes shooting at me like it was the clearest weather, even though I couldn't see a thing

The boat/plane setpieces could've had sliding while shooting, the desert walk could've had an actually open expanse around the crashed plane in which the player could scavenge for supplies, the hand-to-hand could avoid having QTE prompts and having as much jank, actually being able to lose enemies in the ship graveyard, and so forth.

Maybe if 4's co-op has remixes of past single player levels like 3 did in Co-op Adventure, we might actually get some of that.

As much as I like the open arenas, the game was definitely lacking those designed encounters with their own flavor to them like the
elevator.
Well designed encounters like that are a big part of what made Uncharted 2 so memorable.

Agreed, though I genuinely would've been satisfied with more of those open arenas. They actually had great design overall.

daman824

The last act of the game was spread out way, waaaay too long. And that
big shootout while rescuing Sam
is everything wrong with the combat of all previous games. Thankfully pretty much every other encounter was great.

But seriously that third act feels like half the game. Way too long. And it changed my view on the game for the worse.

Man, this game.

cP2xQME.gif

(found on r/pcmasterrace)

great detail, but in terms of technology there is nothing so special

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it. I've experienced a few uncanny valley moments along the way that made me feel weird. Sometimes the models seem a little too real.

I feel like some of the gunplay sequences go on a lot longer than necessary, but overall it's really good.

Agreed, though I genuinely would've been satisfied with more of those open arenas. They actually had great design overall.

They are well designed, the
cliffside locations with Sam, and flooded building with Elena
especially, but the more creative if a bit more linear stuff like the
elevator encounter
is what the singleplayer offers that multiplayer can't, and that's the kind of stuff I miss. I think the game needed WAY more smaller, linear encounters like that. The kinds that are halfway between a 1 and a 10 on the intensity scale that don't let the game become plodding, and don't make it feel like the game is constantly hopping between extremes. (slow traversal/slow stealth vs. all out warfare when you get spotted)

zsynqx

elevator encounter
is what the singleplayer offers that multiplayer can't, and that's the kind of stuff I miss. I think the game needed WAY more smaller, linear encounters like that. The kinds that are halfway between a 1 and a 10 on the intensity scale that don't let the game become plodding, and don't make it feel like the game is constantly hopping between extremes. (slow traversal/slow stealth vs. all out warfare when you get spotted)

I think the end of
Scotland
had a real nice flow. Love replaying that section.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man. Not only is Drake's Fortune hard to go back to in terms of the feel of shooting, the environments, but it's also just weird how the game is constantly sending Drake off on his own now that the series has evolved to have the characters together constantly. And then the game also feels cramped and ends super quickly in the second half. Stealth is also pretty much non-existent... they're incredibly different games.

yeah it's absurd how far they've come. even in those first two hours there were long stretches where Nate wouldn't even say a word and at that point it's like, "well why am i even playing this?"

and oh my god the traversal suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks lmao

I think the end of
Scotland
had a real nice flow. Love replaying that section.

You're right, and I always leave
Scotland
out because I'm so focused on the post-Chapter 11 structure. I actually had almost no complaints for Chapters 8-9 when I was doing them initially. I noted the slower pace, but the shootouts were still doled out at a solid rate in Ch. 8, and the whole sequence definitely finished strong. It's the way the rest of the core game (aka non set-pieces) doesn't feel like it steps up from those chapters that I have a problem with.

Dmax3901

There were probably four or five combat encounters that had me frustrated and not having a fun at all, and I played on moderate. They just drop you in really awkward positions and you have to move up an area being fired at from all different angles and grenades being thrown and I just ended up getting cornered. This would be ok if the actual gunplay itself was fun but it's kinda dull.

I know this ain't TLOU and it wouldn't make sense to have that type of combat in UC4, but man it felt like a step backwards.

elevator encounter

That's why there's a disconnect for some players with the combat sections. The game doesn't ease you into the flow of combat by sprinkling in smaller scale shootouts before those nice arenas.

I disagree. I preferred the location-hopping first two acts to the stuck-on-an-island third. Felt the same about 2 and 3. The early parts felt more propulsive and adventure-like. The third act felt like a long journey through very similar locations while suffering countless setbacks. It was like the overly long Scotland cave venture but even longer. It probably didn't help that I went in hard trying to find treasures though. No guide, and I got maybe 75% of them.

I loved the sense of place the island had, it feels like its own character. I thought there was a lot of diversity in environments still (and the best looking ones) and it has most of the best combat encounters and story moments. The build up to it and the discovery of the pirate story there was fantastic as well

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I loved the sense of place the island had, it feels like its own character. I thought there was a lot of diversity in environments still (and the best looking ones) and it has most of the best combat encounters and story moments. The build up to it and the discovery of the pirate story there was fantastic as well

yes

right up there with Nepal as my favorite UC setting

Really hope you're right. I got to chapter 14 using the barrak, infinite ammo, bullet time, and auto aim. Then out of no where I got super paranoid its disable the trophy as the game is insanely easy with auto aim

You're good, but I heard that they remind you
that you've used auto aim in
the chapter select screen lol

Dmax3901

That's really cool that you get the trophies with those bonus things enabled. Means I may actually play it through again.

Are the multiplayer trophies fairly easy to get?

Alex

Finished earlier, great game, sad that the series has to end. Uncharted was one of the few remaining things on consoles I'd always go out of my way to pre-order and play day one.

Not many complaints, can agree that there maybe should have been more combat though, felt super good every time. 4 def had the best plotting in the series though, genuinely interesting stuff.

Started tearing up when
they were on the plane at the end. I was overjoyed that they all lived but that was also the moment it hit me that I had finished the final Uncharted game. (So they say, anyway.)

The ending was perfect.

JBwB

I haven't tried it yet, but there's no way they made it harder than Drake's Fortune. That game's crushing breaks me.

I've beaten both on crushing (platinumed all console UC games). It's close but the combat sections in UC4 are harder in general imo.

The first section in Chapter 20 is ridiculously brutal.

Top Bottom