• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

eizarus

Banned
Alright guys, I hate posting these kind of posts but here goes:

I can only buy 1 game this month, and I'm stuck between this and Overwatch. I love the Uncharted series to bits but I've never actually jumped into the multiplayer. However, currently, I need a game with a lasting multiplayer component. Hence the options available.

So... Uncharted now or later?

Nev

Banned
I love this section of the game.
aogO4DL.gif

That was some impressive level design. Every encounter in this game is so fucking great, but some like that one are some of the most perfectly designed combat scenerios ever.

They really managed to make you feel like you're playing a set piece in every encounter, except it really isn't scripted, it's so awesome. I didn't expect them to perfect the formula to this extreme.

Am i the only that liked
the final sword fight

I actually found it one of the most atmospheric boss fights I've ever played.
Yes it was kind of easy and they introduced a new mechanic which i generally don't like it when done in other games, but here to me it made sense, because the story is about pirates and it fitted perfectly as a climax for the final arc of the story.Even after finishing the game i get goosebumps when thinking about this fight, because of raving Rafe, because of the setting, because of the music they nailed everything about this fight IMO.
I think people don't like this fight because they died a couple of times (me included) without knowing what to do, but honesty Rafe does the same moves over and over again so it's just a pattern boss

Disagree.

You thought wrong, I dislike the fight not because it was too easy or because I didn't know what to do (which isn't the case, I knew what to do).
I dislike the fight because I went through all these near death situations to end up fighting a pussified-boy like Rafe. I feel like it's an insult. Nadine is more man than Rafe is.

Rafe is a pointless character. He's a lousy enemy, he's even more pointless than Navarro ever was. At least Navarro gave you a chase of shotgun fights before being pussified.

The final "boss" would have wrapped up better with Nate fighting Nadine in an all-or-nothing death or life situation, where perhaps Nadine has killed Sam. Otherwise, just make Sam the bad guy.

Krakin

After making us wait two extra weeks for a global launch, I think it's high time Sony gave us some sales performance figures...

Disagree.

You thought wrong, I dislike the fight not because it was too easy or because I didn't know what to do (which isn't the case, I knew what to do).
I dislike the fight because I went through all these near death situations to end up fighting a pussified-boy like Rafe. I feel like it's an insult. Nadine is more man than Rafe is.

Rafe is a pointless character. He's a lousy enemy, he's even more pointless than Navarro ever was. At least Navarro gave you a chase of shotgun fights before being pussified.

The final "boss" would have wrapped up better with Nate fighting Nadine in an all-or-nothing death or life situation, where perhaps Nadine has killed Sam. Otherwise, just make Sam the bad guy.

Well
although Nadine was cooler too as a vilain, she wasn't the main one.Nadine is just a mercenary.Just beacause she's tougher doesn't mean that she has a reason at the end to fight Nate.Rafe betrayed her, the treasure is lost, there is no point in fighting her.
Also I found believable the fact that Rafe although pussified/spoiled as a character overall as you said, knows how to handle a sword better than Nate because he's rich, probably from a royal like family, so it makes sense to me fighting him.

Disagree.

Although it could have been a spectacular fight and maybe challenging, Nadie could never be a final boss fight, not in this is storu, it'd make no sense.
The game pretty much builds towards a relation between Rafe, Nate and Sam so either you liked the character or not Rafe is the main antagonist in the treasure hunt story (more an antagonist to Sam than Nate).
Besides the story needed someone to die and couldn't be Sam because it would be silly to kill him twice, it have been Nate but that's tough and insult worthy from fans, so it's Rafe then, easier choice and worked with the plot. Nadine had nothing related to the plot other than being a partner in business with Rage.
She could have been an amazing boss batlle before the end but I like how it ended.

I liked Rafe, boss battle is weak mechanically but the story surround it was awesome to me.

Keihart

No because yes for now the mechanics feel dated or not as great, which is completely true, but as a first experience it blew everything away.

So while the mechanics, visuals, etc are definitely superior in 4, the pacing, the set pieces, the whole package is just a tighter experience.

I prefer Uncharted 3 to 2 even if i played them close to their release, i think it has more to do with what you value in the games, as always really.

Edit: I just want to mention that even on crunshing, in Uncharted 4, an easy way to deal with the armored guys, even the bigger ones, is to use blind fire from cover. In fac if you wait till they are close enough, you can just empty a clip from cover on their faces and they will drop dead, this is especially useful when there are more enemies shooting at you.

LiK

Was trophy hunting last night while doing Crushing playthrough. Dayam, some of those Treasures are pretty well hidden. You need to really explore really carefully to find some of them. I'm happy that YouTube guides exist lol

lt519

Great gif and makes me feel like a fool in retrospect how I approached that encounter, haha.

My problem with the combat was you die so damn fast that playing around like that was hardly worth it. I might play on a lower difficulty just so I can dick around like that.

nib95

Banned
After making us wait two extra weeks for a global launch, I think it's high time Sony gave us some sales performance figures...

Yea, I'm definitely curious to see how well this game sold. It's blowing up on many lets plays, like JackSepticEye's and PewdiePie's, so I reckon it'll have legs.

Was trophy hunting last night while doing Crushing playthrough. Dayam, some of those Treasures are pretty well hidden. You need to really explore really carefully to find some of them. I'm happy that YouTube guides exist lol

Indeed. I'm using a guide that help you with treasures, notes, and convos.

LiK

My problem with the combat was you die so damn fast that playing around like that was hardly worth it. I might play on a lower difficulty just so I can dick around like that.

Yea, when I was playing on Moderate, I fucked around there. Really shows how flexible some of the combat encounters can be in those open areas.

Indeed. I'm using a guide that help you with treasures, notes, and convos.

Yea, I'm using the one from PS4Trophies. I like his commentary. It helps a lot more than just a purely visual guide.

Yeah I felt playing first on moderate was a good descision. It's not too hard (not too easy either) and it really let's you get a handle on the combat mechanics and potential for the mobility. Every fight is one of the coolest action movies ever.

Although it could have been a spectacular fight and maybe challenging, Nadie could never be a final boss fight, not in this is storu, it'd make no sense.
The game pretty much builds towards a relation between Rafe, Nate and Sam so either you liked the character or not Rafe is the main antagonist in the treasure hunt story (more an antagonist to Sam than Nate).
Besides the story needed someone to die and couldn't be Sam because it would be silly to kill him twice, it have been Nate but that's tough and insult worthy from fans, so it's Rafe then, easier choice and worked with the plot. Nadine had nothing related to the plot other than being a partner in business with Rage.
She could have been an amazing boss batlle before the end but I like how it ended.

I liked Rafe, boss battle is weak mechanically but the story surround it was awesome to me.

I'd have prefer a more emotional ending. Sam dying for real would be ok, the trailers before the game was out already confirmed that Sam "dying" in Chapter 2 was bs. So, there's that.

Well
although Nadine was cooler too as a vilain, she wasn't the main one.Nadine is just a mercenary.Just beacause she's tougher doesn't mean that she has a reason at the end to fight Nate.Rafe betrayed her, the treasure is lost, there is no point in fighting her.
Also I found believable the fact that Rafe although pussified/spoiled as a character overall as you said, knows how to handle a sword better than Nate because he's rich, probably from a royal like family, so it makes sense to me fighting him.

Okay fair points from your side.
The boss fight is still my only quip about the game.

Namikaze1

I used a YouTube guide after my blind run to collect everything I missed. I ended up getting almost all the notes and most of the conversations on that blind run. Treasures though was a different story. Got just a bit over 40. As you said, some of them are really well hidden.

Pilgrimzero

Am i the only that liked
the final sword fight

I actually found it one of the most atmospheric boss fights I've ever played.
Yes it was kind of easy and they introduced a new mechanic which i generally don't like it when done in other games, but here to me it made sense, because the story is about pirates and it fitted perfectly as a climax for the final arc of the story.Even after finishing the game i get goosebumps when thinking about this fight, because of raving Rafe, because of the setting, because of the music they nailed everything about this fight IMO.
I think people don't like this fight because they died a couple of times (me included) without knowing what to do, but honesty Rafe does the same moves over and over again so it's just a pattern boss

what I didn't like was that while I could attack whenever I wanted he would always block. The only way to actually damage him was to go through a glorified QTE.

I miss actual boss fights.

FaintDeftone

I finished the game last night. It took me 13 and a half hours to finish it. Overall I think this game has one of the best told stories in gaming, but in order to fully appreciate it you have to make that journey with these characters in the previous three games. I love how they wrapped everything up at the end too, which was very cool.

I like how the set pieces were toned down a notch in Uncharted 4. There are far less over-the-top set pieces this time around but the ones included in the game feel a bit more grounded. At first I thought I would have been disappointed by this but I think it fit the series much better. I also liked how I seemed to spend more time climbing, exploring and puzzle solving than in combat.

My biggest gripes are that I still feel like combat is just competent, with games like Rise of the Tomb Raider being much more enjoyable to engage in firefights. I love the combat scenarios they set up and there is much less cheap bullshit this time around (like Uncharted 3's rocket spamming climbing section), but I still am not a fan of the weapon mechanics and the I feel the game oftentimes punishes you too much for not going the stealth route. At least they save the game during combat once and awhile when you go through a streak of performing well. There are a lot of cool combat mechanics here but I feel like I couldn't use too many of them because the enemies have super aiming and you will die quick if you're not careful and act quickly. I'd say the combat scenarios in the last few chapters (20, 21) were the best.

I also was not a fan of
the sword fight at the end but it took a bit of time for me to get the groove down
. Cinematically and story wise it was awesome but not much fun to actually play. The Jeep controlled like ass during the big chase sequence too, which made split decision making a chore when trying to decide where to turn next. I feel like a few of the chapters could have been trimmed down a bit too, like the
flashback mansion section
, but I can't complain about more gameplay.

All of that being said, the game is thrilling as hell, includes an amazing story and some of the best visuals I've ever seen. This just knocked Dark Souls III out of my #1 spot of the year so far. Congrats, Naughty Dog!

Menaged

I did something similar to that GIF.
I climbed the tower with a sniper rifle, sniped 2 guys, and then jumped down to the rope.
Unfortunately I didn't stick the landing like Sunhi, and just got to the other side and got back to stealth mode.

w0s

Pretty much how I'd like to have played the game. Instead I spend most of my time hanging from ledges and popping off head-shots. Probably not what ND had in mind when designing those amazing environments.

Still managed to grab the Platinum last night though. I'd say Uncharted 4 just about makes it to the #1 spot in the series. For me UC4>=UC2>UC1>UC3.

How hard was the trophy for not getting hit once in the final battle?

LiK

Pretty much how I'd like to have played the game. Instead I spend most of my time hanging from ledges and popping off head-shots. Probably not what ND had in mind when designing those amazing environments.

Still managed to grab the Platinum last night though. I'd say Uncharted 4 just about makes it to the #1 spot in the series. For me UC4>=UC2>UC1>UC3.

That's my ranking too altho I give more love to UC4 because the combat doesn't drag as much as UC2 and the final boss fight was better. Could not stand the fight in UC2.

Onaco

I'm thinking playing on Hard actually ruined my experience, especially after seeing the GIF of the grapple across the two ships on the previous page. I think my next playthrough of Crushing with Auto-Aim might be able to make a more satisfying experience, or trying to speedrun the game on the easiest difficulty. I know that sounds dumb, but I normally don't resent the shoot outs.

This game just made me dread unfair fights that would spawn me next to two guys that could immediately flank me, or other stupid and unfair shit. In fact, the majority of the game made me want to just stealth through sections because I'm sick of everyone in the area finding my position after one guy saw me for a brief second. I also didn't realize in my first playthrough you could get away and hide from enemies at all, so maybe that will change my play style a little bit. I need to go hunt down more than half of the treasure, since apparently I wasn't thorough enough (not a complaint, as I like treasure hunting in Uncharted games).

LiK

I'm playing on Crushing for my second run while doing my trophy run and it's way less fun, imo. The fact that you die so much more quickly means hiding in cover more and being less mobile during some encounters. I can understand people wanting the challenge but I don't find it as exhilarating as Moderate. Also, there are more grenade launcher dudes which is real enjoyable lol

valkyre

The boss fight in 4 would have been awesome if I had actual control.

But you have. Its not just about defending. You can also attack.
I put Rafe in a corner and then slashed him several times. I felt that I was the one dictating the pace of the fight, not Rafe, which would be the normal thing ofc.

In any case you do have control over this fight.

LiK

But you have. Its not just about defending. You can also attack.
I put Rafe in a corner and then slashed him several times. I felt that I was the one dictating the pace of the fight, not Rafe, which would be the normal thing ofc.

In any case you do have control over this fight.

Yea, they did a good job with it. It was flexible enough that you could go ham but you couldn't just stunlock the guy to death or it would be a really easy fight. My fave final fight in the series.

WITHE1982

How hard was the trophy for not getting hit once in the final battle?

With slow motion activated (and replaying encounter in explorer mode) it was extremely easy. I'm not embarrassed to say I took full advantage of the modifiers.
Not auto aiming though. That's a travesty.

what I didn't like was that while I could attack whenever I wanted he would always block. The only way to actually damage him was to go through a glorified QTE.

Yes but
if you think about it, aren't many other boss fights like that too?
You wait for an opening until you can attack because the boss will either hit you first or will block you.That's how most boss fights especially in action games work.
Of cource here it's very simple and primitive, but that's the general idea.Also you actually can hurt him without blocking him first.You have hit him with square when he is near the wall and he takes damage

I know i defend this boss fight a lot, it's just that i wanted to express my different opinion
about it because of the hate that it gets from some posts that I read, but I can understand why some people don't like it

Sure, but then what? Do you still have it where it took place? If not, where? Have (visible or invisible) health bars? What constitutes "actual control," and what other changes would its existence in that fight beget?

You know what I would have done? Same fight but make it just a fraction of a bigger set piece, I think an action sequence that goes around the ship could have been more spectacular, Uncharted action works better when you move around and things go shit around you. Of course they would have to adjust the plot a little but it wouldn't have been difficult, you could still have the same climax.

For reference I mean something similar to how Metal Gear Solid 1 boss fight was while fighting Liquid in a fist fight and then a car chase. Well, Uncharted could have been a sword fight in different spots on the ship.

Still the best boss fight in the franchise in my opinion but... yeah, boss fights are still weak to me gameplaywise (story around it was fantastic).

valkyre

Not true either. You can hit him. He doesnt defend always. And yes I am not talking about the scripted moments you inflict damage. You can slash him if you time it correctly and you put him in a corner/walls. Ofc the game makes it obvious (like Rafe says) that he is a better swordsman than you. Which is perfectly logical.

Finished the game yesterday and really liked it. Really enjoyed how it had more focus on exploration of the environments than the previous games with some areas just being a space to look at such as
different lived in residencies to explore and that's not even getting into the ruins.

For the story it was infinitely more coherent than 3 was and was easily the best in the series. Villain while still not amazing was a step up from the previous games for sure. Of course Sam honestly feels like a living plot hole at times and I would have been interested in how the original creative team would have addressed the plot thread of
Nate's mom since I doubt from the tease in 3 that her being a female Nathan Drake in the 80s was originally the idea. I know its intentionally vague, but I wonder what the illness she suffered from was and whether it was some kind of mental illness or something like terminal cancer. Since either of those could of led to her committing suicide whether it be from a consequence of her mental state or self-euthanasia.

Wootball

OK my first playthrough of this and I went with Crushing - I've just finished chapter 18, but haven't found any of it particularly difficult. I'm at 44 checkpoint failures so far, are the next few chapters difficult? Not trying to be a dick for anyone that found it hard, it's just that for me the mechanics are quite easy to figure out where to stay and pick off enemies, and abusing blind fire against the armoured guys seems to work too well.

Top Bottom