• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

OK my first playthrough of this and I went with Crushing - I've just finished chapter 18, but haven't found any of it particularly difficult. I'm at 44 checkpoint failures so far, are the next few chapters difficult? Not trying to be a dick for anyone that found it hard, it's just that for me the mechanics are quite easy to figure out where to stay and pick off enemies, and abusing blind fire against the armoured guys seems to work too well.

Just one specific part ahead could mean trouble.

The games is not hard, it has two or three difficult encounters but yeah, you're too good. ;)

m4st4

OK my first playthrough of this and I went with Crushing - I've just finished chapter 18, but haven't found any of it particularly difficult. I'm at 44 checkpoint failures so far, are the next few chapters difficult? Not trying to be a dick for anyone that found it hard, it's just that for me the mechanics are quite easy to figure out where to stay and pick off enemies, and abusing blind fire against the armoured guys seems to work too well.

There's one in particular that should be a challenge, yes.

valkyre

Question about property values:

How much does it cost to get beach front property like the Drakes had there?

Millions probably.
the ending gave me the impression that the Drakes got crazy rich during the years. There is a wall of fame in there with all the members of the familly featured in magazine covers, through their findings of important relics and such. Plus we dont know how much Sam was able to loot from Avery.

m4st4

DLC will be all about...

...how Alcazar truly died, after Sean Penn interviewed him. Dude was taking a shyte, reading Savage Starlight, then bam! Press triangle for stroke.

Drencrom

AiCy6Tm.gif

Holy shit, this is art

JBwB

I also breezed through crushing up until a certain point. There's a section within the next few chapters which may or may not test your patience.

lt519

Best part of that second GIF is that he tosses the grenade into the truck first before jumping. Figured the truck exploding was just happenstance, but no..

Was playing the MP last night, not really clicking for me, I think I'll just go back to playing encounters and screwing around with the bonuses, etc.

ViperCommand

Neo Member
Some advice for anyone who hasn't started the game yet and mostly enjoys the exploration aspect of the Uncharted series... My first play-through was on hard with no aim assist and took me almost 20 hours to beat. I almost disliked the game the first time through due to the perceived pacing playing on this difficulty. Every time a battle started I would groan and just get through it as fast as possible while being in cover 90% of the time using none of the new rope kills or other fun ways to defeat enemies. (The other 10% was me running from the nonstop, laser guided, grenades before they exploded). It got to the point that by the time I got to the end chapters I was not enjoying the scenery or looking for treasure I was just sprinting to the next cut-scene to end the whole thing. I replayed the game on an easier difficulty and it completely changed my perception of this game. Being able to experiment with fun ways to kill enemies, not being stressed about if I try to make this jump because there might be a treasure there and I die I have wasted more time made the experience amazing. Had I just played through the game once this would have been probably last place in the Uncharted series but after the second play through it is best Uncharted yet.

TLDR; If you like Uncharted as an exploration adventure, play on an easier difficulty and enjoy yourself 100x more.

Little help anyone? is my ps4 about to break?
I've just started this game and it seems great but i'm getting weird canvas like textures on the faces during cutscenes, it's really distracting.
Is this normal?

What does everyone have their sensitivity set at, because I'm not feeling the shooting at all. Uncharted has never had great aiming but this feels more like Uncharted 3 pre-patch than Uncharted 2, as if there's a half a second of lag whenever I move the reticle.

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any benefits/drawbacks to stealthing through areas rather than shooting? IIRC in TLOU you could get certain dialogue if you weren't spotted and I don't want to miss that sort of stuff.

LiK

Just checked a walkthrough on youtube and it doesn't have the same issue, i'm going to delete and then restart, fingers crossed my ps4 isn't on it's way out...

Might be overheating. Got good ventilation?

The only issue I encountered was it froze my PS4 when I decided to pause during an encounter. Not sure if it's because I've had the game app on and console in rest mode for like a week so maybe something happened there.

SZAkY8v.jpg

Pros:
* (best in the biz) Graphics
*Smooth transition from gameplay to cinematics
*Great SFX/Voice acting
*Engaging story and memorable
*Attention to detail
*Game has heart.

Cons:
Enemy variation (No Bears,tigers,sharks, alligators,really,piranhas,search dogs, IDK..?)
lack of multiple Bosses (where's my helicopter maniac?, Tank boss, uncharted 1-3 maybe?)
Mediocre last boss battle
(It reminded me of the order 1881 wolf QTE battle)
Ch
lack of melee weapons ( no knife? cuz of T-rating? I guess, respect for the character?)
lack of character/weapon upgrades (whaddaya selling? sorry, I just love RE4)
Naideen fight
Puzzle challenge/fun factor was meh
no C4,Landmines? ( I guess this isn't metal gear right? who cares, gives us more options )
Treasure hunting is the only side activity you have in U4, right? is worse than Zelda when you find 100 rupies but you already have 999 rupies.
Let's say you find some treasures, what is your reward...
...Post game bonuses, are not that great, example I've tried to use weapons and I couldn't because I was at the beach, 8 bit, audio, and just meh filters and skins, some slow mo bullet time?

To the guy that said he was worried about uncharted 4 being way to realistic, I agree, I would have also died attempting this jump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_c0HMxrzE

Pilgrimzero

Millions probably.
the ending gave me the impression that the Drakes got crazy rich during the years. There is a wall of fame in there with all the members of the familly featured in magazine covers, through their findings of important relics and such. Plus we dont know how much Sam was able to loot from Avery.

That scene/local almost brought me to tears because that's where I want to live. It's my dream.

And about the only way I'll ever achieve it is if I luck into a treasure horde. And I have the feeling none of that exists in my neighborhood here in the mid west USA.

spyder_ur

I finally finished the story last night - honestly I had to kind of drag myself to the end of the game. Still a fantastic game. Some thoughts:

-The story was the best in the series, and you really could feel TLOU in certain segments of the game
-Obviously, visually stunning
-I hated both the
exploding skeletons and last boss fight
- terrible overlong mechanics in both
-The shooting and combat never clicked for me really - I didn't enjoy any combat encounters as much as a few from UC 2 and 3. The mobility is great, but then you take 2 bullets from perfect-aim enemies, your screen goes dark, and you have to resort to taking cover.

Overall, fantastic experience, but I feel like I'd replay 2 or even 3 before 4.

Oh, and I thought the ending
with the daughter and beach house was cheesy and lame as hell.
. Come at me.

Beat it last night. Great game, but it really started to wear on me towards the end. I felt it got kind of repetitive.

-Fuck those
exploding mummies
-
Last fight with Rafe
was pretty disappointing
-I want an Uncharted prequel with Sully
-Why no final conflict with
Nadine? Seems weird that for all the ass kickings you get from her, that there would be a final fight.
-It was awesome to see
Nate and Elena's daughter, and all the stuff collected over the years.
-Almost 20 years later and
I still suck at Crash Bandicoot. Great easter egg.

I'll likely not want to run through it again, so I'm probably trading it in. Still my GOTY so far though.

-griffy-

Banned
Update on my attempted crushing/speed run trophy run. Made it to chapter 15 at 6ish hours, so it's a no go :p Things were going well until that graveyard fight in Scotland, then Chapter 14 dashed my speed run hopes completely.

Also, holy shit at Sunhi's gifs. One of them is on Reddit's front page too.

3rdbass

Banned
Millions just to get an authorization to build a house there I suppose.

Depends on the beach. Isn't this beach house in Cuba? Maybe not as much as you think. I watch the house hunter shows and I have definitely seen beach houses go for under $500K. It really depends where that beach house is. If it is in California then yes it will be over $1 million easy.

Ducayne

Okay so I'm on the last chapter now but I have some really fun ideas about where the Uncharted series can go if we won't be revisiting Drake and his clan.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if they explored Evelyn's past. Her house was a treasure trove (sry, not sry) of her adventures. I was thinking maybe it can be a dual story, with her in the past, and one of her ancestors in the future. How cool would it be to explore the same areas in two different time periods? Would love some 1930s-esk Indiana Jones set pieces with a strong female lead. Maybe even finding things that Evelyn left behind in certain tombs or areas, mysteries that eluded her, but her ancestor in the future was able to figure out, etc.

Hire me now. I want this game

LiK

Update on my attempted crushing/speed run trophy run. Made it to chapter 15 at 6ish hours, so it's a no go :p Things were going well until that graveyard fight in Scotland, then Chapter 14 dashed my speed run hopes completely.

Also, holy shit at Sunhi's gifs. One of them is on Reddit's front page too.

Crushing speedrun? seems impossible.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this up yesterday, played from Chapter 14 through beating the game in one marathon session.

Really loved it. Definitely my favorite of the series. It's not perfect by any means as it could use more crazy set pieces, the last fight was lame etc. But it's the best looking game I've ever played, had a super solid story and good characterization and was a great send off for Nate's story.

I dove into the MP afterward--never played the MP in UC2 or UC3 as I got them late in the gen. I did all the trials on moderate and then played a handful of matches in the beginners playlist. It's fun and I'll play more today, but I'm not sure it's compelling enough to take me away from Battleborn and Ovewatch (next week).

Raven117

Well, I finally finished....

Overall, I really liked it. The combat never quite clicked with me . . . until the last gunfight sequence where I was a super hero...(Don't know why it worked there). The platforming and climbing were elegant, and the rope was a joy to use. Wish I could have used it more.

Now for the story and the ending
It was a solid story and ending that Uncharted really deserved. Uncharted is not TLoU...it was always an Indiana Jones type spin...nothing crazy dark happens there. We were taken on a ride over the course of 4 games and it had a happy ending. Nothing wrong with that. It was well executed though perhaps a little uninspired. It definitely didn't have the impact of the "Okay" from TLoU. But it was warm, nice, and more or less reminded me of when and where I was in my own life when I first played Uncharted 1.

Now, I really want Naughty Dog to go nuts. Don't copy TV or movie genres. I mean really go for it. Give us something that can only be achieved through the video game medium (Because honestly, Uncharted 4, I could have watched and been perfectly satisfied....except for maybe Chapter 4).

Regardless, Bravo Naughty Dog.

eFKac

Well, I finally finished....

Overall, I really liked it. The combat never quite clicked with me . . . until the last gunfight sequence where I was a super hero...(Don't know why it worked there). The platforming and climbing were elegant, and the rope was a joy to use. Wish I could have used it more.

Regardless, Bravo Naughty Dog.

Haha I'm exactly the opposite.

Loved the combat in the game, the freedom, the level design, different approaches etc.

Except those last two gunfights which reminded me of old Uncharted games, corridors, whack a mole cover shooting. Super frustrating, just terrible.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Beat it last night on my livestream.

Man, what a great game. Wonderful, satisfying ending as well. If Naughty Dog never makes another Uncharted game, I'd be more than happy. This was a beautiful sendoff for the series.

The gameplay, graphics, and narrative, I feel, are as far as you can push Uncharted starring Nathan Drake. Such a great cast of characters, and the feel of being part of a pulpy adventure movie is even more realized in this game than it was in previous entries.

I loved all 3 previous Uncharteds, as well as Golden Abyss, but I do think I like this one more. Each game has felt very different from the others, despite having the same core structure. And each one has built off of the previous in terms of scope, game design, and narrative. It's rare for me to have seen 4 entries in a series maintain such high quality (and Uncharted 3 was fucking quality) consistently.

Uncharted 2 was my favorite, because of how much it expanded on the awesome Uncharted 1, and I loved Uncharted 3 for its risky game design and narrative elements, but I think Uncharted 4 marries the charm, scope, and narrative much more cohesively than the previous titles. What a game. Wow. I'm dying to see what Naughty Dog is working on after The Last of Us 2. I can see them making larger games (maybe even open world one day), in an attempt to see how they can push the cinematic scope of their games, while still giving the player a sense of freedom. Very excited at what lessons they've learned from Uncharted 4, and how they're going to apply it to their next project. You could definitely see how they applied the lessons learned from The Last of Us in Uncharted 4.

emrober5

I finished it yesterday and after letting it sink in this is the best Uncharted yet.

Not a perfect game, I still prefer TLOU, but they took one of my favorite franchises and polished it for the current gen. Gameplay mechanics and story are the best in the series, not to mention the insane graphics.

Also, that ending. Loved it. I just wish I hadn't rushed through it. I beat the game in two days.

J-Skee

I'm listening to the newest PS I Love You right now & it didn't even hit me that the jeep sequence was kind of ruined at E3. It definitely would have been a lot better not knowing about that going in. I think with the next Naughty Dog game, I'm just going to go completely dark from announcement to release. That sounds extreme, but you can only see stuff like that for the first time once.

Jeffrey

Any good videos of people playing the final few encounters skillfully? Feels like every corner I turn there were like 5 dudes shooting at me, so I just camped away, and this was on normal.

btw: does the difficulty options delay some of the hint dialogue? I feel like a complete dumb ass at times because it feels like every other scene either the 'press down for hint you dummy' pops up or your partner yells out the answer to the puzzle or something.

brawly

ND should just make a pirate game set in Libertalia. They got all these beautiful assets and even a story and characters ready to go.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm listening to the newest PS I Love You right now & it didn't even hit me that the jeep sequence was kind of ruined at E3. It definitely would have been a lot better not knowing about that going in. I think with the next Naughty Dog game, I'm just going to go completely dark from announcement to release. That sounds extreme, but you can only see stuff like that for the first time once.

I think most people feel this way, because this was the biggest setpiece of the game and there's nothing comparable. In Uncharted 2 we saw one setpiece in a live demo, but there were others in the game that outclassed it. Here they showed literally the most jaw-dropping segment of the entire game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, I died A LOT during my moderate difficulty play-through, but actually I felt it made me appreciate the game a lot more as it gave me the opportunity to try out a bunch of different approaches to the action.

Not sure what to do on my next run-through. Full on treasure hunt, torture myself on crushing, or just mess about with the encounter select option on various difficulties.

Great game, really enjoyed the campaign.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I also died a bit more than expected in my first run (moderate). Actually, I got the impression this mode was harder than Normal diff. usually is in these games.

I think most people feel this way, because this was the biggest setpiece of the game and there's nothing comparable. In Uncharted 2 we saw one setpiece in a live demo, but there were others in the game that outclassed it. Here they showed literally the most jaw-dropping segment of the entire game.

I kind of wonder if there was some backlash from the reveal just showing a normal gameplay segment. I know there was a lot of "but where are setpieces" stuff on this forum after the PSX reveal.

If nothing else they might have been better served to stick to their guns and not release the second half of the sequence.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I kind of wonder if there was some backlash from the reveal just showing a normal gameplay segment. I know there was a lot of "but where are setpieces" stuff on this forum after the PSX reveal.

If nothing else they might have been better served to stick to their guns and not release the second half of the sequence.

Oh man, that would suck if true. And I don't even get the backlash. They have a new mechanic to show, and the gameplay vid was pretty good. It's definitely better than having those big moments spoiled.

JakR

Just finished crushing.

chapter 20 is pure hell. LOL

In the 3 last chapter or so, I said frakk it and put the bonus menu to use.
Crushing in this game is to much for my soul.

It was not helpful to try the PSX part on crushing and stealth approach on my side. XD

does playing on harder difficulties make the lack of combat encounters more bearable because maybe you die more? I rashly sold the game after I beat it because I was frustrated with the time spent climbing/walking/talking and I thought I would never play through it again. Lol, but seeing these awesome gifs is making me itch to play more, so maybe I'll just by it again and spend more time on encounter select? Did anyone find the pacing improve on second or third playthroughs (mainly asking people who were let down about the lack of encounters)?

Top Bottom