• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

does playing on harder difficulties make the lack of combat encounters more bearable because maybe you die more? I rashly sold the game after I beat it because I was frustrated with the time spent climbing/walking/talking and I thought I would never play through it again. Lol, but seeing these awesome gifs is making me itch to play more, so maybe I'll just by it again and spend more time on encounter select? Did anyone find the pacing improve on second or third playthroughs (mainly asking people who were let down about the lack of encounters)?

To be clear- I don't have a problem with pacing on the first time through. I loved taking my time and exploring everything in detail (found 80 treasures on the first run).

That being said, you can critical path things very quickly on replay, if that is to your taste. Things like the first half of Chapter 14 or the entirety of Chapter 16 can be gone through in like 5 minutes, if that. Traversal in general in very snappy and the multiple paths help a lot Plus all of the puzzles are quick to solve when you know the answer.

One thing I want to try on Chapter 12 that would streamline things is:

Bypass the tower at the beginning that reveals the arrows and go straight to the hidden cave. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Basically you don't get more combat but it comes much, much quicker.

Any clue? I'm on Chapter 20 now and haven't died since Chapter 18.

Well... chapter 20. :p

Edit: There's a sustained action piece where you could have some trouble, but if you don't then that's it... although
(the final fight being quite different to the rest of the game could trick you aswell)

To be clear- I don't have a problem with pacing on the first time through. I loved taking my time and exploring everything in detail (found 80 treasures on the first run).

That being said, you can critical path things very quickly on replay, if that is to your taste. Things like the first half of Chapter 14 or the entirety of Chapter 16 can be gone through in like 5 minutes, if that. Traversal in general in very snappy and the multiple paths help a lot Plus all of the puzzles are quick to solve when you know the answer.

One thing I want to try on Chapter 12 that would streamline things is:

Bypass the tower at the beginning that reveals the arrows and go straight to the hidden cave. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Basically you don't get more combat but it comes much, much quicker.
I tried it you can't.
when Sam pushes the arrow in the tower it raises the other markers as well as opens the entrance to the cave

I tried it you can't.
when Sam pushes the arrow in the tower it raises the other markers as well as opens the entrance to the cave

Ah, that's simultaneously kind of cool yet disappointing.

I did appreciate that (Chapter 17 spoiler)
When you get to the elevator where you need to use the jeep to stop the water wheel- Elena will figure out that piece of it for you if you climb to the top without trying it yourself.

Question about that 70% accuracy trophy.

Playstationtrophies.org says this about it:
"Glitch Warning*
There's a glitch that makes your hit ratio carry over into the new game. If this happens to you, start encounter select and chapter select a few times on different difficulty settings. Then start a new game again. Now your accuracy should be at zero. Your accuracy stat has to be 70% at the end of the game for the trophy to unlock. So if you start out with 20% accuracy from a previous playthrough due to this glitch it will be hard to pull off. Make sure your stat is at 0 when the new game begins."

I have started a completely separate new game file to get all the collectibles and misc trophies I missed (while retaining the original file and profile data as well). When I started a new game, I made sure to not carry over stats and treasures and my accuracy was 0% when I started the new file and is now current 85%. My original file was 42%. I just wanted to know if I did everything correctly to make sure that the trophy will pop.

Ah, that's simultaneously kind of cool yet disappointing.

I did appreciate that (Chapter 17 spoiler)
When you get to the elevator where you need to use the jeep to stop the water wheel- Elena will figure out that piece of it for you if you climb to the top without trying it yourself.
Yeah speeds it up a little.

LiK

"Glitch Warning*
There's a glitch that makes your hit ratio carry over into the new game. If this happens to you, start encounter select and chapter select a few times on different difficulty settings. Then start a new game again. Now your accuracy should be at zero. Your accuracy stat has to be 70% at the end of the game for the trophy to unlock. So if you start out with 20% accuracy from a previous playthrough due to this glitch it will be hard to pull off. Make sure your stat is at 0 when the new game begins."

I have started a completely separate new game file to get all the collectibles and misc trophies I missed (while retaining the original file and profile data as well). When I started a new game, I made sure to not carry over stats and treasures and my accuracy was 0% when I started the new file and is now current 85%. My original file was 42%. I just wanted to know if I did everything correctly to make sure that the trophy will pop.

You need to carry over stats into new game for the glitch to work cuz you need chapter select. Detailed guides online.

Falchion

Just started going back and getting all the collectibles which is great because it's taking me to a lot of corners of the world I hadn't seen the first time.

During chapter 10 on my first playthrough,
I completely skipped one of the enemy outposts with relics and stuff because I went up the mountain too soon. Glad I came back and did it.

This game has the worst encounters in the series. a total disappointment. Chapter 20 is so damn annoying. Even the worst UC1-3 encounters are fun compared to this.

Edit: turned auto aim on. Now we're talking. No way I'm going to play this on crushing (and I've played all UC games on crushing).

"Glitch Warning*

You should be ok now. Just stay at 70% or above through the whole game. There is an exploit also where you only need to play the prologue to get the trophy.

Alpende

I'm at chapter 12 I think (the beach part) and the visuals keep amazing me. It looks so good, the movement is great, the puzzles aren't too hard and fun. Loving it so far.

You should be ok now. Just stay at 70% or above through the whole game. There is an exploit also where you only need to play the prologue to get the trophy.

I tried doing that, but I didn't work for Sharpshooter. I shot a couple of enemies in Chapter 1, and my accuracy was 95%. I was able to get Charted - Speedrun however.

This game has the worst encounters in the series. a total disappointment. Chapter 20 is so damn annoying. Even the worst UC1-3 encounters are fun compared to this.

Edit: turned auto aim on. Now we're talking. No way I'm going to play this on crushing (and I've played all UC games on crushing).
That one chapter doesn't reflect the entire game though.

Finished it. Loved it for the most part. Already mentioned the great parts. OK another nod to the best graphics in a game I've ever seen.

However the music was disappointing. Very unmemorable.

Didnt like
the sword fight at the end
. Really the worst part for me which was a shame.
Ending didn't really do anything for me tbh
. Wasn't too keen on the new characters really. But not a biggy.

Doubt I'll play it again sadly. It's a long game and while that's a good thing it would just be a slog to get all the missed treasures, journals etc I'd feel.

Game of the year by far though. Don't know if there's anything coming out that will surpass it this year either. Also I'd say the best AAA game this gen by probably a good margin as well.

HMD

Finished the game in 2 days, easily the longest in the series and I took my sweet time exploring in UC3 the second longest in the series. I'm not a big fan of
Elena in this game, she has no drive to be on an adventure and she definitely killed the awesome adventure mood the game was setting up with Sam, I loved their giraffe scene moment and their drive through that romantic road, but I wish they tried to make her a bit more excited for this adventure. For the first I would have preferred if Chloe tagged along instead of Elena (I'm a huge UC1 Elena fan).

The story got a bit dull at times, I had no idea where the plot was going some other times, and I didn't care for old Sam at all, I wish they introduced more new characters, a long game like this would have benefited from that.
But I loved everything else about the game especially the jaw dropping graphics, and the disgusting amount of polish.

TLoU>UC4 can't wait to see what ND makes next, and I hope they get to beat their ultimate god tier game :)

I tried doing that, but I didn't work for Sharpshooter. I shot a couple of enemies in Chapter 1, and my accuracy was 95%. I was able to get Charted - Speedrun however.
I was having issues with it too. There are actually a couple more steps you need to take for the accuracy. I can't remember exactly what you have to do though. I had to look it up.

I was having issues with it too. There are actually a couple more steps you need to take for the accuracy. I can't remember exactly what you have to do though. I had to look it up.

Oh really? Didn't know that.

I am missing collectibles is pretty much every chapter but chapter 2 so its no big deal that I have to play the whole thing over again.

TissueBox

Replaying this and still think the
Rossi estate heist
is the most brilliant, sublime portion of the game. That's just where all the cinematic flavoring, pacing, gameplay, graphics, and combat really flow together to make something at its most stylish and yet controlled.

But it's also the setting that really does it, for me. It's the first of its type in an Uncharted game and the best of its kind in the entire industry. If
GTAV, for example, possessed the same amount of aesthetic precision for its heists in the same vein as this one here, it would be another level, imo. Not to say that its own aren't impressive as they are, because they are, as is the entire effin' beast of a game they're featured in. But UC4's really shows the potential that games have in regards to scraping cinematic gold off the sky -- still really, really far, but here suggesting it may only be a couple arms' reach.
Overall, just thought that what ND did with that segment was really good. Plus, it's a beautiful location that's
not 90% forest/desert/foreign village/abandoned stretches of land, for once, and just like the other instances in the game that reflect this element, I think stands out the most, actually. But it may just be my insisting hunger for ND's take on a contemporary-set game like that. Who knows, maybe I'll get over it one day.

Anyways, still have yet to see the credits back in my face, though, so we'll see if my impressions re-adjust. For my first playthrough I was one of those few (ie non-existent folks) who actually preferred the first third/half, as opposed to the later one(s), so yeah.

Rossi estate heist
is the most brilliant, sublime portion of the game. That's just where all the cinematic flavoring, pacing, gameplay, graphics, and combat really flow together to make something at its most stylish and yet controlled.

Bur it's also the setting that really does it, for me. It's the first of its type in an Uncharted game and the best of its kind in the entire industry. If
GTAV, for example, possessed the same amount of aesthetic precision for its heists in the same vein as this one here, it would be another level, imo. Not to say that its own aren't impressive as they are, because they are, as is the entire effin' beast of a game they're featured in. But UC4's really shows the potential that games have in regards to scraping cinematic gold off the sky -- still really, really far, but here suggesting it may only be a couple arms' reach.
Overall, just thought that what ND did with that segment was really good. Plus, it's a beautiful location that's
not 90% forest/desert/foreign village/abandoned stretches of land, for once, and just like the other instances in the game that reflect this element, I think stands out the most, actually. But it may just be my insisting hunger for ND's take on a contemporary-set game like that. Who knows, maybe I'll get over it one day.

Anyways, still have yet to see the credits back in my face, though, so we'll see if my impressions re-adjust. For my first playthrough I was one of those few (ie non-existent folks) who actually preferred the first third/half, as opposed to the later one(s), so yeah.

Those two chapters were the ones that convinced me that the game was gonna have spectacular set pieces and it delivered completely for me.
Fantastic stuff, reminded me to Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

Flysquare

Hey, can you guys share your game settings please ?
I turned off the auto-aim but i'm not sure i should, i also lowered the sensitivity of the aim... still my aim is not very accurate.
I've never been a very good TPS player but still... headshots were easier before so i'm looking for the best settings...

Vuze

Man fuck these gatling gun guys. Who they hell thought it was fun placing one and a shotgun dude in one narrow ass alley with two wooden boxes as cover.

Every encounter was shit so far. Now I'm out of ammo and there is no new ammo to be found, bullet sponge enemies everywhere. Wow, this is terrible. Great game but definitely the worst of the four.
What difficulty?

You get ammo from defeated enemies but you need to move around to pick it up. Also use stealth to conserve ammo.

Man fuck these gatling gun guys. Who they hell thought it was fun placing one and a shotgun dude in one narrow ass alley with two wooden boxes as cover.

I've seen two of three people complaining at that part but maybe you're pushing it because I did that part two times in hard and moderate without problem, just stay in the back and kill the shotgun guy, the mini gun dies alone against the exploding mummy... you don't need to fight him at all...

Vuze

I've seen two of three people complaining at that part but maybe you're pushing it because I did that part two times in hard and moderate without problem, just stay in the back and kill the shotgun guy, the mini gun dies alone against the exploding mummy... you don't need to fight him at all...
You're right. He always wrecked me behind the first wooden box, now I just camped at the end/beginning of the area and it worked...

Also the exploding mummy shit. Was this section designed by an intern or what. All these pointless explosions are only detrimental to the eerie atmosphere they were trying to build up.

Jeffrey

anyone else awful at stealth? I've never fully cleared an area with stealth. Some dude always sees me snapping someone's neck from above me or something.

Wish enemies were more prone to hanging out in the grass areas in their patrol path... whats the point of this feature if most enemies don't even walk near them?

anyone else awful at stealth? I've never fully cleared an area with stealth. Some dude always sees me snapping someone's neck from above me or something.

Wish enemies were more prone to hanging out in the grass areas in their patrol path... whats the point of this feature if most enemies don't even walk near them?

I've always seen stealth as something you can only go so far with until you go nuts gun blazing. I'm never ashamed to not be able to take out a full area with stealth. I just see it as a head start.

And if too many of the guards went into the tall grass it would be way too easy.

AiCy6Tm.gif

This is absolutely ridiculous. Normal gameplay that looks better than the cutscenes and set pieces of other games.

Wootball

Chapter 20 is brilliant - it's exactly how I wanted the Crushing difficulty to be all throughout the game. It's a shame it took until this late in the game to be how it should be.

What the fuck at the
boat
fight in chapter 20 on crushing. I didn't go in with any ammo so it's a tough start for a fight that lasts forever.

PowderedToast

Rossi estate heist

But it's also the setting that really does it, for me. It's the first of its type in an Uncharted game and the best of its kind in the entire industry. If

what I love about that sequence is that you can see the whole environment that you traverse through from your starting point. you have the mountains where you begin, the hotel which is your goal, and the rooftops through which you escape. ND are masters at selling that feeling of actually traversing through a cohesive environment, and they really nailed it in UC4. i also love the progression of day into night throughout the heist. so good.

I played my first play through on medium and didn't really take advantage of the new combat mechanics. These gifs are making me want to lower the difficulty instead of trying for crushing.

what I love about that sequence is that you can see the whole environment that you traverse through from your starting point. you have the mountains where you begin, the hotel which is your goal, and the rooftops through which you escape. ND are masters at selling that feeling of actually traversing through a cohesive environment, and they really nailed it in UC4. i also love the progression of day into night throughout the heist. so good.

In fact there's an optional chat with Sam on the balcony once you enter the ballroom where he says that he's studying the way out and you can see the final area where you actually leave the place. Awesome.

Rossi estate heist
Was wondering how that level would be to replay. Specifically
is there any way to mix up the Nadine fight? Or do you just have to go through the same flailing motions a second time and play out the fight you can't win? Any way to really change things up at least?

Also,
I failed my first two attempts at pickpocketing, and have no idea whether thats how its designed or if I can actually manage it on a replay without Sam's help?

Liamc723

I just need to wrap up the collectibles and then I have the platinum.

What a game, easily the best game right now on PS4, and the best in the series in my opinion.

I really hope ND fixes the flashlights in photomode glitch, it's really messing with my pictures where I remove a character and there's a floating light source in the way.

MistBreeze

finished the game today ,,,, taking my time with it,,,, playing 2 - 2 and half hour a day,,,

It is long game,,, beautiful ,,, best in the series,,, and best game this gen ,,,,

but it is not perfect by any means,,,

pros:

- best gameplay in the series and one of the best in TPS
- freedom in encounters and open map design,,, verticality witch encourages stealth and different approaches
- some of best well executed set pieces in the series.
- the rope is fun.
- best graphics hands down.

cons:

- the encounters are few and far between ,,,, it becomes more in later chapters which is a shame as the encounters are best of the series ,,,, freedom,,, stealth ,,, open spaces ..etc

- the puzzles are in the easy side ,,,, but it is varied and fun this time

- some of pacing could be done better,,,, lot of stops ,,, walking segments ,,, lasts for too long which breaks pacing and immersion.

all and all a long,,, well executed ,,, high polished ,,, satisfying game a 9.5/10 in my book.

Was wondering how that level would be to replay. Specifically
is there any way to mix up the Nadine fight? Or do you just have to go through the same flailing motions a second time and play out the fight you can't win? Any way to really change things up at least?

Also,
I failed my first two attempts at pickpocketing, and have no idea whether thats how its designed or if I can actually manage it on a replay without Sam's help?

You can do it without Sam.

I finished the game on hard and then a second time on moderate (plus knowledge) and it was so much better!
I finished on hard and I'm almost done with a moderate playthrough and I completely disagree. Hard is the way to go for sure. Moderate has been waaaaay too easy for me. I feel that I've had more epic moments on my hard playthrough than my moderate playthrough.

Top Bottom