• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

One thing about the whole Libertalia story that I didn't quite get, not sure if it was ever addressed within the story...

Did the game ever
talk about how the colonist were recruited for Libertalia? I imagine that a lot of people had to be recruited through "not-puzzles" to simply "maintain" an entire city. People like craftsmen, blacksmith, etc.

Schlomo

One thing about the whole Libertalia story that I didn't quite get, not sure if it was ever addressed within the story...

Did the game ever
talk about how the colonist were recruited for Libertalia? I imagine that a lot of people had to be recruited through "not-puzzles" to simply "maintain" an entire city. People like craftsmen, blacksmith, etc.

Wondered about that too. Probably everyone who did the trial brought hundreds of people with him.
Or more like thousands by the look of that city...

Did the game ever

The people who started the rebel right? I think during Elena and Nate trip on island, they comment about Avery recruited the engineers who build the elevator. One note in that chapter revealed that the engineers who worked there didn't know about the package they transported (gold, treasure?) so I guess they just picked up random people who had no idea about treasure.

HeelPower

I am at chapter 17 now..Guess its too late for the villains to get anymore screen time.

Its disappointing..The villains had so much potential but they are massively underused yet agaaain.

Walking under the trees at the top of the
giant elevator
looking up at the sun shining through the branches waving in the breeze is the most convincing graphical/sound moments I have ever seen in a game and it isn't even on the critical path. Many would miss it just because they drive through that area.

Hopping between encounters now just to relive the best combat bits from the campaign and it makes you realise just how stellar it is.

Chapter 15 might just be my favourite, even over the last encounter in Chapter 11.

cheez124

just finished the game, such an amazing experience. definitely the best gameplay of the series, although a few sequences near the end were kind of annoying, when they started throwing a ton of sniper rifle/minigun/rpg/armored guys at you. story was awesome too, couldn't have asked for a better ending

barely made it through that final boss, though...came close to dying several times. lucky for me though rafe decided to step back whenever i went to black and white, lol. i'm also surprised that nadine kinda just walks free. i was expecting her to die, since all uncharted villains do (in the games, at least), which makes her the only villain in multiplayer to still be alive. i'm also a little disappointed there was no supernatural aspect this time, but it's not that big a deal i guess.

Donos

Very nice game. I get what that some bother the length compared to the more action focused U2/3.Took me 14 hours on moderate. Overall i like it even when i too thought that some sections were a bit too long and maybe a couple encounters could be added. As whole package, it's very good.

I like that they give you encounter select if you hunger for more shooting with perks/filters etc and not only chapter select. Very nice if you just want to drop some fools on Crushing quick.

[end game spoiler]
I really liked Rafe. His voice and mannerism, his tired eyes.... Outstanding animations. And i liked the final fight with him although i died a lot and most seem to hate it. Epiloge is a nice touch. Nate still working dem legs. Yeah, Nadine vanished a bit quick without proper retribution but i bet they had way more planned but in the end, they have a release date and have to cut things down.

Nadine is the greatest!

Really enjoyed Rafe as a villain as well. His motivations, design and voice work really did it for me.

Up there as some of the series best and nice palate cleanser after Marlowe and Talbot. God they were crap.

Yep. Top game character.

Just beat it and its a great game. Idk if it surpasses Uncharted 2 but its really close. Was pretty surprised
no main characters died. I thought Sully had 0 chance of living.
Wont complain though, felt like ND did a great job with the ending.

Gono

Banned
I think I spent like 6 hours playing through the first 4 chapters. At this pace my gameplay is gonna be around 50 hours.

My jaw is aching with all this jaw-dropping.

ramyeon

U8d97QT.jpg

This game.

Only up to the area in the screenshot at the moment, so early days, but I LOVE it so far. Just came off playing the first 3 games for the first time in the collection and I felt kind of unsure about them - moments of greatness with lots of tedium mixed in. This so far is fantastic though. It is legitimately beautiful, the pacing suits my tastes more with lots of cinematics, dialogue and interaction going on - not just wave after wave of gunfight.

I love the stealth stuff as well. Just cleared an area 90% with stealth and although I got caught at the end it just felt so natural to the flow of the game.

Okay enough typing, back to playing.

Donos

I also now get the rope "complain" thread. Specially later on there are two/three places where it's "how can we move on??..." while having a rope and a hook hanging right there on the hip.

But then again it's like tiny fences in other games which block you from moving forward.

Reached end of chapter 9.
Still not feeling it.

Setpieces aren't doing it for me yet. (the auction level was kinda nice though) platforming and exploration isn't fun yet.
Swinging is nothing special, sliding is dumb..

Idk.
Thinking about trying the old games to see if I still like them.

Don't worry, the exact same thing happened to me, and I was quite disappointed. Chapter 10 onwards felt like a breath of fresh air, and there are some incredible moments ahead.Thankfully Chapters 1-9 are fairly short in comparison to the chapters to come, and there's still a huge chunk of the game to go.

Some thoughts on Uncharted series in general, and why I think Uncharted 4 is my favourite, despite me feeling that none of its high action points are as memorable as UC2 and UC3.

If I were to describe my overall feeling about each game into 2 words each, it would be :

Uncharted 2, the pulpy & high-action.
Uncharted 3, the grandiose & outrageous.
Uncharted 4, the characters & closures.

When I think of what game makes for the best one-sitting experience, what flows from one scene to the next, one dramatic tension to the other, Uncharted 2 does it like few other games. It has one of the tightest balance of having the cast, the dynamic, the pacing, the set-ups that feel seamless, while achieving that globe-trotting adventure feel of a treasure hunt film. The words that were said about that man at the end of Uncharted 4, where
Rafe described it as Uncharted 2’s journey as a “race to Shambala” really speaks of it well.
It really felt that way.

When I think of what moments stand-out, with the combination of masterful art design, amazing intensity and the ones which possess the most grandeur in terms of concept, it’s Uncharted 3. The stark contrast between the discovery to the burning of the chateau, the intensity that permutes the entirety of the cruise ship from its destruction to its sinking, the one-two-one-two punch of the initial airport scene, chasing the plane, being there in its destruction to the point of falling from the plane, the majestic desert plains that accompany an exciting chase of convoys with horses, those are all Uncharted 3.

Uncharted 4 is different. Even though Uncharted 4 has a lot of intense high-action moments, what I will remember from the game are the minutiae, the character moments, the way different moments in the game are paralleled from one character arc to another, how there is a clear understanding of what makes these characters tick, how these characters are reflective of the ongoing story arc that ties in thematically to the underlying story of obsession, greed, and growing up.

For me, it’s hard to look at the dining table scene and not think that it is one of the best character scenes that I can remember in recent years. The way that scene delivers a reflection and impression, not just to the scene itself, but the previous chapter’s highlight of the mundane and what has been missing from one’s life, while keeping it so subtle in a way that doesn’t oversell or undersell the characters is simply marvelous storytelling.

I get a lot of the criticisms of Uncharted 4’s failings in terms of its plodding pacing, the lack of encounters, the weakness of its story pace to escalate encounters in a fluid pace, it’s repetitive mechanics and the points of the game design that doesn’t work well both in terms of pacing design, puzzle design and narrative design.

But Uncharted 4, of all games in the series, is the closest thing to it being a sum of all its parts. And it’s ridiculously hard for me to disassociate the game as a whole, because of how intertwined the pieces of the puzzle within the narrative is.

Chapter 4’s attic scene, Chapter
16’s mansion
, and the
Epilogue
are all more powerful because of each other, because of how the story repeated the beats un deux trois to reflect the different emotional beats that those same actions carried throughout the games. Chapter 4 had
Drake being unable to even take a look at the photo of him and his brother from their youth, Individually, Chapter 16, not that great. As a whole, it’s hard to think how you’d not do that scene to deliver the payoff to the Young Nate from UC3, the fundamental concept of this ludicrous, obsessed kid whose life goals are the pursuit of the legacy of his family and the lie that is the Francis Drake legacy.

One of the things Neil Druckmann likes to talk about with TLoU, and during the development of Uncharted, was the focus on “intimacy” and how something like the photo-booth from Left Behind was just as difficult and time-consuming to develop for as a major Uncharted ⅔ set-piece. I would be inclined to use the same words for Uncharted 4. It’s a game that focuses its lense on the intimate aspects of the characters. On the broader sense it is the greed and obsession that drive these characters to the lengths of the adventure, and in the closer sense of things it highlights the elements of character relationships that we take for granted. Chapter 4 did this amazingly well, with the whole exchange where
Elena’s hesitance to respond immediately about whether or not she’s happy in the current relationship, at first glance is seen as a banter moment, but later unravels to show that the relationship has problems even from her side of the spectrum, but she is more honest about it than Drake is, even if both of them repressed it to an extent.

The game is far from perfect. I think ND could do better mechanically, figure out a better balance of deeper, but simple mechanics that keep the idea that you're playing as Nathan Drake. I don't agree that the pacing is bad, but it could be better. Among many other things, many which have been echoed by many GAFers here.

But it's hard to take away that experience. I come out of Uncharted 4, with lingering thoughts on that table scene, the ending, and much reflections about how earlier scenes feel different in consideration of what we learn in later story scenes, with greater respect of what they're able to do with character storytelling.

Props to Neil Druckmann and Josh Scherr.

Ermm so I've just loaded this up for the first time, and my PS4 sounds like it's running the game at a 1000fps and is due to blow up any minute.

Edit: Was legit scared so I quit lol. My PC fans never get that loud even when it's running at 90 degrees

dragos495

Definetely the best game I have ever played!

4>3>2>1

Words cant do it justice, you just have to play it.
I started and finished it on Crushing, didnt know about the cheats at all. Took me 25h. Got most trophies on crushing as well, during my playthrough.

But, can someone, for the love of all that is holy, help me with the high score trophy? I just cant do it and I dont want controllers to get thrown... Even with slow motion, not only i cant beat the score, I cant even reach the end of the level... what is wrong with me?

Shareplay or whatever, my psn is dragos495. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PaulloDEC

Just finished with nearly 14 hours on the clock.

No idea how I'd rank it against other Uncharted games, but I sure had a great time, especially from
Madagascar
onwards. Overall it felt like a wonderful send-off for the series, and I loved
the little epilogue they threw in at the end.

I already miss this ass.

NeoRausch

For the love of God I can't get past the (chapter 18...or19? Spoiler)
exploding mummies
on "crushing". The first part was alright, but the part where
the statue covering her eyes and the skulls in her hand in the middle of the circle room

It's killing me! .... And Nathan... Over and over again. While he calmly says "I'm okay"

Any help?

dragos495

exploding mummies
the statue covering her eyes and the skulls in her hand in the middle of the circle room

It's killing me! .... And Nathan... Over and over again. While he calmly says "I'm okay"

Any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjZf_gD5DPE

any help with my problem on the previous page anyone? thx!

Camper182

The sword
fight boss battle was really really stupid... i really wanted to just skip that. The ending was also pretty dissapointing.

The game overall gets an 8/10 from me. It doesn't beat uncharted 2.

silva1991

The sword
fight boss battle was really really stupid... i really wanted to just skip that. The ending was also pretty dissapointing.

I understand the boss part, but the ending? what's disappointing about it?

Wootball

OK so now I've done the Crushing, Speedrun and Sharpshooter trophies (legit, fuck all of you using exploits and cheats) it really does beg the question - what the fuck is Chapter 16 doing in this game? It's horrendous.

valkyre

One small thing I never liked in Uncharted games in general is the damn greying out of the screen when you take damage. I am playing on crushing atm on my 2nd playthrough and I believe I have spent most of my time watching a black and white videogame! :D

Why have this effect? It practically makes this beautiful game look shitty. I much prefer to have the edges of your screen becoming red ala TLOU.

OK so now I've done the Crushing, Speedrun and Sharpshooter trophies (legit, fuck all of you using exploits and cheats) it really does beg the question - what the fuck is Chapter 16 doing in this game? It's horrendous.

Its doing something called story, character development and narrative. Also, way to go with the insults.

dragos495

Don't die and grab all the fruit you can. That's all you need to do.

i never made it to the end, let alone while grabbing all the fruit.

the ball gets me and even if i time the jumps correctly, the hurdles part is messing with me and i get stuck...

help, please!

valkyre

the ball gets me and even if i time the jumps correctly, the hurdles part is messing with me and i get stuck...

help, please!

if you finish the game you can replay that part and use the slow motion bonus cheat. It will make it piss easy. Doesnt disable the trophy either.

JBwB

help, please!

Yeah the hurdles are the trickiest bit, just ignore the crates in that section and jump early enough so you don't get caught on the hurdle.

Wootball

Its doing something called story, character development and narrative. Also, way to go with the insults.

It wasn't an insult, it was tongue in cheek.

And for me, it's not the story that's the problem - it's going from a strong and fast paced section of the game to a section in which you walk around for fucking aaaaages clicking a button on every shiny trinket on the planet. It's out of place, takes too long and destroys the pace that the game had built up. It's completely unnecessary. On Crushing I noticed it less because I was already taking my time, but on subsequent playthroughs it's just a huge chore.

valkyre

It wasn't an insult, it was tongue in cheek.

And for me, it's not the story that's the problem - it's going from a strong and fast paced section of the game to a section in which you walk around for fucking aaaaages clicking a button on every shiny trinket on the planet. It's out of place, takes too long and destroys the pace that the game had built up. It's completely unnecessary. On Crushing I noticed it less because I was already taking my time, but on subsequent playthroughs it's just a huge chore.

You may not like it, or not feel involved in this game's story, but for the story it wants to tell, for the closure it wants to give and for the script to make sense, this chapter was one of the most important chapters in the game.

Donos

Don't worry, the exact same thing happened to me, and I was quite disappointed. Chapter 10 onwards felt like a breath of fresh air, and there are some incredible moments ahead.Thankfully Chapters 1-9 are fairly short in comparison to the chapters to come, and there's still a huge chunk of the game to go.

I think it won't get better for him/her reading the complains. Some of them are going to come again and again.But thats ok, not everyone has to like it.

Certain things of this game definitevly bother me when i look at them specifically but the overall game package is awesome.

Ricky_R

I've been going back and forth between the intro and chapter 5. I think I'm ready now to finally start the game again and go all in.

I gotta move on...

SomTervo

Starting a 2nd playthrough on Hard mode.

Gotta say, if you actually make yourself care about the treasures, the quiet parts of the game are more interesting to run/climb around in if you are like me and get paranoid, looking everywhere (and dammit, I missed THAT many? How?) It feels less like "playing through" a section, more like "hanging out" in one. Kind of like how, say, Grand Theft Auto V feels when you decide to just hang out in a place in GTAV without shooting anything. I'm liking it.

This is exactly the experience I'm having.

Man, wish I could pull more sick melee animations. The enemies don't really put up much of a fight in Moderate and lower difficulties, and pulling those off in Hard and Crushing would usually resulted in death.

I yanked a guy off a cliff the other night and, for the first time, he grabbed onto Drake's leg and tried to pull me off. I had to kick him down.

Was amazing. First time I've seen it in like 20 hours of gameplay, though.

You just need to keep replaying encounters, esp on harder difficulties. More and more cool things happen.

I just realised that this (incredible) GIF is compromised by the fact that Nate smacks that guy's head off empty space above the jeep's bonnet to KO him, haha

The sword

Having recently played all UC's, I find this easily the best one. The gameplay, especially combat, is much improved over the previous games and exploration is more fun as well, especially in the vehicle based levels. Navigation is better as well, due to multiple paths through levels, which makes hunting treasures more fun, and even they even included some red herring paths, which was a nice touch. I also think it has the best writing of the lot and I like the lack of
supernatural enemies, they were shit in 2 and 3

Nibel

Reached end of chapter 9.
Still not feeling it.

Setpieces aren't doing it for me yet. (the auction level was kinda nice though) platforming and exploration isn't fun yet.
Swinging is nothing special, sliding is dumb..

Idk.
Thinking about trying the old games to see if I still like them.

First half of the game is horrendous if you ain't emotionally attached to the story yet; it will get much better

LiK

exploding mummies

Any help?

check a video guide. that was a shitty area in Crushing. you need to be in specific spots.

Wootball

You may not like it, or not feel involved in this game's story, but for the story it wants to tell, for the closure it wants to give and for the script to make sense, this chapter was one of the most important chapters in the game.

As a story, fine - but if it's exposition only, have it as a cutscene. As far as game play goes, it's horrible. It does not need to be the way it is.

Windforce

Im on chapter 18 I think
(just jumped the city gates and Elena saw Sam using her binoculars),
and unless something really good happens I gotta say this game does not beat Uncharted 2, or even Uncharted 3 for me.

The story is moving slowly on top of too much climbing, too much trasversing, the game feels really unnecessarily long.

Still, I feel damn curious about what's coming up and I can't play anything else since the day I got the game. Got a feeling I'll plat it and move on though
(definitely using the trophy glitches because there's no way I'll play again on Crushing, or doing a full speed run).

nib95

Banned
As a story, fine - but if it's exposition only, have it as a cutscene. As far as game play goes, it's horrible. It does not need to be the way it is.

It wouldn't have the same emotional resonance and build up if it were just one big long cutscene, not to mention some of the journals and notes in that segment carry some important back story. As is that segment allows for people who appreciate the treasure, collections, history of the artifacts etc, to really savour it, as well as the beautiful art design. I mean, these trinkets, this is what it's all about for the Drake's, and you can tell as much from their knowledge of it all. And those that don't like these things can basically rush through it in like 10 minutes on their second play through if they really want to. You don't actually have to click on every item, just a handful. Personally I thought it was great. It also totally blew my mind when I saw the Tokogawa samurai armour for example, especially given I'm working on a project where I had to research it!

Top Bottom