• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

NeoRausch

Im on chapter 18 I think
(just jumped the city gates and Elena saw Sam using her binoculars),
and unless something really good happens I gotta say this game does not beat Uncharted 2, or even Uncharted 3 for me.

The story is moving slowly on top of too much climbing, too much trasversing, the game feels really unnecessarily long.

Still, I feel damn curious about what's coming up and I can't play anything else since the day I got the game. Got a feeling I'll plat it and move on though
(definitely using the trophy glitches because there's no way I'll play again on Crushing, or doing a full speed run).

What are those trophy glitches your talking about?

dragos495

if you finish the game you can replay that part and use the slow motion bonus cheat. It will make it piss easy. Doesnt disable the trophy either.

i tried using slow mo and i didnt even get further than without it. its something in me thats bad at timing and "older" simple games.

care to try it on my account? shareplay? thx

klier

The sword
fight boss battle was really really stupid... i really wanted to just skip that. The ending was also pretty dissapointing.

The game overall gets an 8/10 from me. It doesn't beat uncharted 2.

Same here. Ending was stupid, Nate
has a kid with 4 eyes

Uncharted 2 was something new, Uncharted 4 is simply U2 with better graphics. ZERO innovation whatsoever.

I yanked a guy off a cliff the other night and, for the first time, he grabbed onto Drake's leg and tried to pull me off. I had to kick him down.

Was amazing. First time I've seen it in like 20 hours of gameplay, though.

You just need to keep replaying encounters, esp on harder difficulties. More and more cool things happen.

This happened to me twice in
Scotland
on my first playthrough, then one more time when I replayed Chapter 8. Haven't seen it in any other part of the game, even the PSX demo encounter where I was pulling people off ledges like crazy.

I've seen some other moves that are much more rare for me though:

- Tackle + steal long gun: Steel fist an enemy while you only have a pistol. Did this in Chapter 5 on a 2nd playthrough. Looks so good.
- Cover hop drop kick: The one from Sunhi's
Scotland
gif. Running melee while an enemy is on the other side of chest high cover
- Cover springboard superman punch (this might actually be a pistol whip): Basically a ground level version of the rope smash. You jump onto the piece of cover an enemy is on and melee. Your pistol might have to be equipped. The animation is slightly different and more drawn out than the rope version.

Probably a few more I'm forgetting.

The real best move in this game is the tag team chokeslam though. I can't believe there aren't more scenarios where hand-to-hand and firearms are mixed in close quarters. So much crazy animation blending when you have AI with you (which is most of the game anyway)

Why isn't there more combat in this game gotdammit ffffffffffffff

has a kid with 4 eyes

Uncharted 2 was something new, Uncharted 4 is simply U2 with better graphics. ZERO innovation whatsoever.

It's a bit more than that. Levels are far wider than in UC2, offering more room for exploration and way more interesting combat scenarios. That's on top of other additions, like vehicles, full on swimming and new navigational tools. I'd say in terms of pure gameplay, it's larger than the leap from 1 to 2.

Keihart

Ermm so I've just loaded this up for the first time, and my PS4 sounds like it's running the game at a 1000fps and is due to blow up any minute.

Edit: Was legit scared so I quit lol. My PC fans never get that loud even when it's running at 90 degrees

If you have the tools, open it and clean it up, i did mine and after that it's been barely making noise.

I had people grab onto my legs a bunch in my playthrough. Also did the "steal long hun" move a lot. Never knew about the meleeing dudes over cover though.

The melee in this game is so good. Well, combat in general is.

This game is so different from U2 lol

nib95

Banned
has a kid with 4 eyes

This post is just....eurgh. Firstly, the glasses insult? Really?

Secondly, how is the game just Uncharted 2 with better graphics when many of its gameplay mechanics and systems are fundamentally different, new or improved? Eg the ropeswing, rock pick, mudslides, grander exploration, vehicle segments, wide linear design, multiple pathways, re worked arena design, completely overhauled stealth, underwater swimming, contextual melee with ally tag team options, improved AI and gunplay etc.

valkyre

It's a bit more than that. Levels are far wider than in UC2, offering more room for exploration and way more interesting combat scenarios. That's on top of other additions, like vehicles, full on swimming and new navigational tools. I'd say in terms of pure gameplay, it's larger than the leap from 1 to 2.

The platforming is evolved. The rope is an awesome addition imo, especially with the freedom and options it provides in combat situations. Aiming is better, encounter design is far better, enemy AI is also much better, the stealth is functional and the fact that you can lose sight of the enemies completely alters the way you can approach combat...

And then there is the narrative which is leaps and bounds improved over past games, there is an actual adventure here fleshed out with journals, a sense of history and information, a real sense of discovery.

Honestly i dont even get people that share the opinion "no innovation whatsoever"... like god damn...! Just say you dont like the game. Its fine and respectable not to like it. But saying it does nothing new is just bs.

OK so now I've done the Crushing, Speedrun and Sharpshooter trophies (legit, fuck all of you using exploits and cheats) it really does beg the question - what the fuck is Chapter 16 doing in this game? It's horrendous.
What? It's the chapter that ties the backstory together and provides Drake motivation for literally the entire franchise.

Seems like you're just burnt out from multiple play throughs in succession and because it's a slower chapter.

It can be beaten in like 5 minutes when you know where you need to go anyways.

The platforming is evolved. The rope is an awesome addition imo, especially with the freedom and options it provides in combat situations. Aiming is better, encounter design is far better, enemy AI is also much better, the stealth is functional and the fact that you can lose sight of the enemies completely alters the way you can approach combat...

And then there is the narrative which is leaps and bounds improved over past games, there is an actual adventure here fleshed out with journals, a sense of history and information, a real sense of discovery.

Honestly i dont even get people that share the opinion "no innovation whatsoever"... like god damn...! Just say you dont like the game. Its fine and respectable not to like it. But saying it does nothing new is just bs.

For me, it's innovations are a lot more subtle so they are coming out more on my second play through. Although I think it needed a lot more chapter 11 creativity. My jaw was on the floor that whole chapter.

The setpiece in chapter 11 does suuuuch a good job seamlessly and organically putting just about every single mechanic to use. Such a shame there weren't a few more like that.

Namikaze1

For the love of God I can't get past the (chapter 18...or19? Spoiler)
exploding mummies
on "crushing". The first part was alright, but the part where
the statue covering her eyes and the skulls in her hand in the middle of the circle room

It's killing me! .... And Nathan... Over and over again. While he calmly says "I'm okay"

Any help?
I know which part you're talking about. That shit sucked. I ended up using a YouTube vid to get through that room during my Crushing run.

Wootball

What? It's the chapter that ties the backstory together and provides Drake motivation for literally the entire franchise.

Seems like you're just burnt out from multiple play throughs in succession and because it's a slower chapter.

It can be beaten in like 5 minutes when you know where you need to go anyways.

I don't mind the back story, but the Chapter is terrible in terms of gameplay and badly out of place so much that it ruins the pacing of the midsection of the game. It could have been handled so much better. I'm not burned out by the game, I've played through first time on Crushing and second time on Light for the Speedrun and Sharpshooter trophies, that's all. That chapter just stands out like a sore thumb.

valkyre

Is there a place where I can get information regarding the co-op mode?

Also, besides the story DLC that is in the works, have they announced anything else for the single player campaign?

Is there a place where I can get information regarding the co-op mode?

Also, besides the story DLC that is in the works, have they announced anything else for the single player campaign?

No details on co-op other than release window, which is fall this year.

Story DLC. All we know is that they'll start thinking about what they want it to be after they've finished development of the main game.

One small thing I never liked in Uncharted games in general is the damn greying out of the screen when you take damage. I am playing on crushing atm on my 2nd playthrough and I believe I have spent most of my time watching a black and white videogame! :D

Why have this effect? It practically makes this beautiful game look shitty. I much prefer to have the edges of your screen becoming red ala TLOU.

Agreed lol, I was hoping they'd drop that in UC4.

Also, characters are always in such a hurry to give hints for the puzzles, which aren't hard in the first place. You already get the prompt to see a hint if you need, why do this?

Anyway, currently in chapter 13, loving the game, what an epic adventure this has been and I'm only halfway through, it's amazing.

My only hope is that the story dlc is like a three hour, tightly paced, very combat heavy mini-adventure that culminates in a rad set-piece

It better not be Left Behind part 6

LiK

Yeah, it's fucking stupid trial and error. Made it through after only bazillion tries and the video above.

Yea, even with a guide, gotta be lucky. I dunno who designed that area but they def didn't play it on Crushing when they thought it was a good idea lol

I don't mind the back story, but the Chapter is terrible in terms of gameplay and badly out of place so much that it ruins the pacing of the midsection of the game. It could have been handled so much better. I'm not burned out by the game, I've played through first time on Crushing and second time on Light for the Speedrun and Sharpshooter trophies, that's all. That chapter just stands out like a sore thumb.
The placement is to break up the insanity that just came before and to give the preceding chapter cliffhanger some time to marinate.

What gameplay? It's a chapter about exploring and interacting with your brother. You learn a TON about Sam and Nate in that chapter and the dynamic they share. If you want to explore every nook and cranny of that place you can. If not, you can go straight to the ending in mere minutes. I wouldn't even be responding to this if that section forced you to play at its place or to do more than you wanted to but it really doesn't.

This is a game
about two brothers who were separated from each other and trying to reconnect in present day during this adventure. The mansion also pairs well with how Sam and Nate explored Libertalia together. That night in the mansion is very clearly one of Sam and Nate's fondest memories and why he'd go to such great lengths to just capture that feeling with his brother once more.

It is not out of place or 'terrible', it's essential.

Yea, even with a guide, gotta be lucky. I dunno who designed that area but they def didn't play it on Crushing when they thought it was a good idea lol
It's an embarrassing section and I have no idea how they played through that part and thought 'hey, this is a great idea and a ton of fun!'

Of all the things you can do in that section and they end up just filling it with that garbage.

It better not be Left Behind part 6

?

what were parts 2-5?

All the chapters in this game that were basically Left Behind

37tMSaW.gif

How is that even a burn?

Left Behind has better and more satisfying combat than literally the entirety of this game. I guess it needed more explosions to satiate some.

Wootball

The placement is to break up the insanity that just came before and to give the preceding chapter cliffhanger some time to marinate.

What gameplay? It's a chapter about exploring and interacting with your brother. You learn a TON about Sam and Nate in that chapter and the dynamic they share. If you want to explore every nook and cranny of that place you can. If not, you can go straight to the ending in mere minutes. I wouldn't even be responding to this if that section forced you to play at its place or to do more than you wanted to but it really doesn't.

This is a game
about two brothers who were separated from each other and trying to reconnect in present day during this adventure. The mansion also pairs well with how Sam and Nate explored Libertalia together. That night in the mansion is very clearly one of Sam and Nate's fondest memories and why he'd go to such great lengths to just capture that feeling with his brother once more.

It is not out of place or 'terrible', it's essential.

I think you're giving it too much credit, but ok.

The Lamp

How is that even a burn?

Left Behind has better and more satisfying combat than literally the entirety of this game. I guess it needed more explosions to satiate some.

I can actually only remember like 1 maybe 2 combat scenarios in that entire DLC but maybe that's just my memory lol

noomi

I wish I could forget the game and play it again fresh, nothing like that first experience going in not knowing anything.

tumblr_n06xsh9tim1sta92oo1_400.gif

I can actually only remember like 1 maybe 2 combat scenarios in that entire DLC but maybe that's just my memory lol
There are 6 and two of them are quite long. That's plenty in a DLC that is 90 minutes long. They're also better crafted, more interesting and more dynamic than nearly anything in UC4.

I don't know why saying something is 'Left Behind' is used derogatorily when it got universal acclaim but okay.

I mean it sure doesn't hold a candle that was the glorious shooting sections of Chapter 20 and the end of Chapter 18. /s
Good post. Great jumping off point for a discussion.

Jharp

What difficulty are you playing on?

Whatever the hardest difficulty prior to unlocking Crushing is. I think it's just called hard.

I finished the game after posting my comment, and I suppose my complaint about late game encounter design is largely focused on Chapter 20. They seemed to want to create scenarios that encouraged you to run around and do a lot of beating guys, running and gunning, jumping to a ledge, etc. but that was just not possible when I was dying so quickly. The game must be a real chore on Crushing. Enemies take just a little too much ammo to drop, so I would try to put myself in a corner and kill enemies as they approached, but I ran out of ammo WAY too quickly doing that. I finally started running around and popping guys, but couldn't do melee because that was a one way ticket to pound town, and I just got a little bit lucky.

I really enjoyed the mid-game open ended Far Cry style encounters where I would stealth kill half the guys, get spotted, then have to jump into cover and start shooting. Those encounters and the places they happened in were a lot more fun to play with. When they start forcing you to shoot, it got a lot less interesting. At least in the stealth sections, I could always rely on falling back into stealth if I needed to. In the later encounters, beset by machine gunners that take three grenades to drop, with snipers and god knows how many guys trying to flank, etc. It just got tired and frustrating.

But then, maybe I'm just a baddie and everyone else is better. Never had much trouble with the past games on Hard though.

I don't know why saying something is 'Left Behind' is used derogatorily when it got universal acclaim but okay.

I mean it sure doesn't hold a candle that was the glorious shooting sections of Chapter 20 and the end of Chapter 18. /s.

I actually liked Left Behind a lot. But that type of pacing is not my preference for a game that's 15 hours long especially when it's Uncharted. And there were a couple of sections in the game that felt very much cribbed from Left Behind (Chapter 16 is basically Left Behind but with bad writing, and different silly hats to wear). So for the DLC I'd like them to mix up the pacing, not double down on something we got a lot of already.

And yo the shootout in chapter 20 is better than any combat in Left Behind.

Top Bottom