• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Kin5290

The married people banter between Nathan and Elena is so amazing that I'm kind of mad that she's not around for so much of the game.

I feel like I'm the only one who's really impressed with the AI. The geometry is super complex and has tons of vertivality but finally the enemies can traverse everywhere you can. They're really good at flanking as well. It makes me wish there was an enemy type that could use the rope swings as well, leading to mid-air swinging skirmishes.

Every time I see people getting so upset over trophies I keep asking myself why they do this to themselves. You don't seem to be having fun.

arimanius

Finally finished today and honestly the last several chapters I was just hoping it would be over with. I like the story but it just seem to drag on and not enough fighting for me. Seemed to be way to many long stretches of exploring between the fights or puzzle solving.

mstevens

Every time I see people getting so upset over trophies I keep asking myself why they do this to themselves. You don't seem to be having fun.

If you lost your save file and had to start over a game you would be frustrated. Beating a game or doing something has no inherent value, just like trophies, but it can still be frustrating if something out of your control fucks you. For me, I like laying out a plan to check off all the trophies. When I spend all this time and get all the hard stuff out of the way (crushing difficulty for instance) it's fun and rewarding. After doing all that and hitting a wall with a glitch is *not* fun. It seems pretty straight forward to me.

Anyway, now is not the place to have an argument about it. Three times now I've done chapter 13-14 without killing anyone or even getting spotted.

If you lost your save file and had to start over a game you would be frustrated.

How is that the same thing? I'm not talking about glitches, I'm talking about people complaining that the process of obtaining a trophy is annoying/frustrating/etc but they do it anyway.
OK, nevermind, forget I asked, it's off topic anyway.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah those genuine doctors who didn't even bother to ask Ellie before hand. The fact that they kept Ellie under the entire time discredits them completely.
I don't think they could've and Marlene knew Ellie would go for it anyway. Granted, they should've asked.

Finally beat the game tonight. Overall, I liked it, but I still think the pacing was all sorts of wonky. It felt like there was a bit too much padding in the game, and had probably the worst pacing out of all of 'em.

Also, the final boss was extremely frustrating and totally killed the momentum of the story/scene for me because I was getting pissed. Maybe it's harder on "Hard", but I died like 20 times before finally completing it, lol. I just sucked at it. :p

mstevens

How is that the same thing? I'm not talking about glitches, I'm talking about people complaining that the process of obtaining a trophy is annoying/frustrating/etc but they do it anyway.
OK, nevermind, forget I asked, it's off topic anyway.

Because the trophy I'm complaining about is actually glitched. Since your post was right after mine, I figured that was where your comment was directed.

True. But out of all the factions, they seemed like the least crazy and most genuine, especially those doctors. That is not counting Joel's family, who are saints.

To imply that I don't get the nuance of
What ultimately is a really cliche action adventure plot that's been not only been done before in cinema but better as well
is really insulting. There's not so much nuance that anyone who doesn't think that there's no flaws in the characterization of plot is stupid.

Yea it's great that they went for every obvious plot point and cliche in this type of plot ever EXCEPT for character deaths. Good on them.

I was very relieved that the game ended the way it did.
If any main character on the good side had died I would have been unhappy. Uncharted doesn't need downers like that especially for is supposedly the final game.
This was the perfect way to close out the franchise.

I even thought the ending to that shitty AC Unity game sucked and I didn't even care about the characters. :)

ODDI

Just beat the game on hard pretty damn good I must say lots of pros LOTS but there are cons that dial the game from 100 to 10 real fast (no that's no a score of any kind), now i'm off to play RotTR for some strange reason :)

True. But out of all the factions, they seemed like the least crazy and most genuine, especially those doctors. That is not counting Joel's family, who are saints.

What ultimately is a really cliche action adventure plot that's been not only been done before in cinema but better as well
is really insulting. There's not so much nuance that anyone who doesn't think that there's no flaws in the characterization of plot is stupid.

Yea it's great that they went for every obvious plot point and cliche in this type of plot ever EXCEPT for character deaths. Good on them.
Are you ok? Because you seem really really bitter. The games have always played on cliches of the genre but twist them around new ideas and their own brand of characterization. I don't think I remember seeing a treasure hunting adventure film tackling
the issue of the hunt vs the home life. Hell, I don't think a game has ever tackled that at this level. They could have played it safe and went with the weaponization of the ancient treasure with Drake needing to save the world again, but they didn't.
That wasn't what the game was about.

And seeing you shrug off the Elena stare has me questioning your ability to judge such a topic anyway.

Off of that topic, anyone else wish chapter 4 came before the
prison chapter? It would have played into the fact that Nate didn't want to look into the box of his brother's stuff quite well. Hell, the whole chapter should have been reversed: Nate sits down with Elena - eats, plays the game, talk etc - then he goes upstairs, looks over the paperwork from Jameson, imagines taking the job and pirates show up, grabs the toy gun and goofs around until he knocks over a treasure. He picks it up and then you get control to look over the various treasures and once he gets to the box, he flashes back to the prison yard. I think it would have worked better that way.

Edit: expanding on the idea further:
Start off with the boat crash, segue into the diving job, then the home life, then the flashback to when they were young, and then to the prison yard. From there, back to the docks when Sam shows up.

For the people who didn't like the boss fight, what difficulty did you guys play it on?

I feel like that may be a culprit in the non-enjoyment of it (just guessing). I played it in moderate and it was pretty easy for me to pick up and really get immersed in the mood of everything that was going on. I really enjoyed it.

For the people who didn't like the boss fight, what difficulty did you guys play it on?

I feel like that may be a culprit in the non-enjoyment of it (just guessing). I played it in moderate and it was pretty easy for me to pick up and really get immersed in the mood of everything that was going on. I really enjoyed it.

I didn't like it. Must have died at least 10 times in part 2 of the fight. I chalk it up to my own poor grasp of the mechanics though. I played on moderate.

I didn't like it. Must have died at least 10 times in part 2 of the fight. I chalk it up to my own poor grasp of the mechanics though. I played on moderate.

I think honestly, the problem might have been the controls. Initially I fumbled for a couple of attempts thinking the counters were on Square and Circle which is a much more intuitive controls setup then Triangle and Circle.

I played it on moderate and absolutely hated it. The worst one out of all 4 games. It just never felt great to get the timing right.

Hated it. Worst boss fight in the series (at least the most frustrating to me). I played it on Hard which probably didn't help honestly.

Gono

Banned
I'm at chapter 8
Scotland
Sooooooo beautiful!

Having a blast playing on Crushing. Really hardcore. I fucking love it. Last encounter before
finding Avery's grave
was mind fucking incredible. I stealth-ed all my way in! Took me over an hour of trying, planning, studying soldier's movements and stuff.

Game is fantastic.

Thanks ND.

Moderate. Just could not get it.

aparisi2274

Finished the game today, and I am still trying to process everything that has happened in 22 chapters...

I am happy and yet sad at the same time. Happy that we got an UC4, and sad because this is probably the last one :(

Has anyone went back and played the game in explorer mode? I want to experience it again, but just dont feel like dealing with all the gunplay. Is it worth doing explorer mode??

Edit: After thinking about it for a while, I think my favorite scene is between
Nate and Elena when they find all the dead pirates in Avery's mansion, and he starts to explain to her about how these were some of the greatest pirates in history and she just looks at him with these eyes, like she is looking into his soul or something... Here is the clip I am talking about. https://youtu.be/YpEFYDkpXE0?t=3h6m4s..
. I dont know why, but that scene was just so good.

Also, did anyone else think that the
ending was a bit of a nod to the Goonies?
I thought it was.

Just finished Madagascar on my third ride...
Damn the fight between Nate and Elena... That scene really gets me, I wanted to punch Nate when he treated Sully like a useless guy. Just incredible.

Little detail, I think Elena plays with her wedding ring when Nate mentions his brother.

What? The window timings for pressing triangle and circle are huge. It's an easy fight on moderate.

In the second part of the fight he didn't seem to be telegraphing his strikes nearly much. It basically 3 quick hits and you were dead. I don't think I ever really figured it out. I just kept spamming buttons until I got lucky.

I doubt it. I think in Hennig's version
Sam was main villain with a lot Rafe's characteristics
. Ghosts would have been stupid.

The su
pernatural aspects of Uncharted were never villains of the series in the first place, but rather narrative twist as well as reason to introduce enemies that behave differently from a gameplay perspective for a new combat challenge.

Sam could easily
still be the main villain while there are pirate ghost zombies around

The su
pernatural aspects of Uncharted were never villains of the series in the first place, but rather narrative twist as well as reason to introduce enemies that behave differently from a gameplay perspective for a new combat challenge.

Sam could easily
still be the main villain while there are pirate ghost zombies around

I'm glad it didn't happen.
Elena/Nathan even joked about pirate ghosts. Every adventure game doesn't need to end with a supernatural twist.
That other adventure game
ROTR did it again with the Deathless. It has become cliche.

krae_man

I'm glad it didn't happen.
Elena/Nathan even joked about pirate ghosts. Every adventure game doesn't need to end with a supernatural twist.
Another game
ROTR did it again with the Deathless. It has become cliche.

Uncharted does. Otherwise you are just a selfish douche murdering for greed instead of saving the world. Doesn't matter how awesome a B story you have, no supernatural ruins the A story.

cackhyena

That would have been a better vision.
Ew, no.

Just finished. What a perfect ending. The flow is so different than 2, one of my favorites games of last gen, but this is what I didn't know I needed from this outing. The deeper character dive, more exploration, less fights overall. Really hit the sweet spot for me.

JBwB

I really enjoyed reading the discussions in the last couple pages about the ending / epilogue as well as Nate & Elena's relationship and their development throughout the story.

It's truly amazing what ND has managed to pull off with the characters.

nib95

Banned
Bullet time, plus no gravity and infinite ammo = insane fun. Not only do you pull off some awesome moves and easy as pie headshots, but explosions are exaggerated, animations look sublime, audio sounds really cool, and you also get to appreciate the finer details. Pulled off an awesome slow mo mid swing headshot with a sniper rifle whilst the enemy was dashing across the arena, and it just looked and sounded so damn good.

Past

Has anyone been watching Angry Joe's stream? I don't think he will give it a great score, he looks completely uninterested in the game. He keeps dying and getting stuck despite playing with aim assist.

nib95

Banned

When you believe Elena forgave Nate because or only after he pulled off "a couple of quips and a pirate reenactment", I think it's quite clear you didn't get it or the characters motivations and/or sentiments. That borders beyond simply pointing out any subsequent flaws in the characterisation of the plot, and is instead in my mind a complete misinterpretation or misunderstanding of it.

Uncharted does. Otherwise you are just a selfish douche murdering for greed instead of saving the world. Doesn't matter how awesome a B story you have, no supernatural ruins the A story.

Except having a supernatural twist in this one would literally ruin the theme of the story

Top Bottom