• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

There's an acceptable level of suspension of disbelief and this game goes about a thousand miles beyond that.

Ending spoilers:

Yes Cassie, let me tell you about the time I saw mystical blue men... Or more recently, the time I decimated an entire army of mercenaries. Oh yes, at one point I didn't even take cover and slowly walked toward them with a massive machine gun which I stole after killing a fully body armored highly trained soldier.

This is why I still don't know if I'm comfortable with the
Epilogue.
There's humanizing a pulpy adventure story, but then there's humanizing a pulpy action-adventure shooter to the point that it starts to feel weird. This is the first game in the series where stuff started to get weird for me. Like if you want me to connect with
the Epilogue and not feel strange about Nate having to explain why he's taking a picture with a shotgun to his young daughter
..... actually, no, there's no way that wouldn't be weird. ND probed too much there and got themselves in trouble like when they made Lazarevic talk about how he and Nate are so similar because they kill tons of people. Nooooo Naughty Dog, please stop mentioning these things.

Eh

there are a few lulls throughout.

Fixed :)

:(

Ascenion

Just gotta say...playing this on crushing with no assists (no slow aim, auto aim, weapon spawns), who the fuck thought this was okay?

This is why I still don't know if I'm comfortable with the
Epilogue.
There's humanizing a pulpy adventure story, but then there's humanizing a pulpy action-adventure shooter to the point that it starts to feel weird. This is the first game in the series where stuff started to get weird for me. Like if you want me to connect with
the Epilogue and not feel strange about Nate having to explain why he's taking a picture with a shotgun to his young daughter
..... actually, no, there's no way that wouldn't be weird. ND probed too much there and got themselves in trouble like when they made Lazarevic talk about he and Nate are so similar because they kill tons of people. Nooooo Naughty Dog, please stop mentioning these things.

Fixed :)

:(
I tend to forget about this (as in block it out of my mind) because it's the single stupidest line in the entire franchise.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
up to chapter 16 on my second playthrough

still love chapter 12 but it definitely needed a boat shootout at the end there, either on the way off the island or just have us play the opening again. chapters 14 & 15 are incredible to me. the introduction of Libertalia is really well done, and it looks so damn amazing that exploring that environment is still a ton of fun. a few good combat arenas in there too.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
When you believe Elena forgave Nate because or only after he pulled off "a couple of quips and a pirate reenactment", I think it's quite clear you didn't get it or the characters motivations and/or sentiments. That borders beyond simply pointing out any subsequent flaws in the characterisation of the plot, and is instead in my mind a complete misinterpretation or misunderstanding of it.
I believe it was at odds with itself in terms of the tone they're established going back and forth between a realistic portrayal of human relationships and walking adventure movie cliches, Again, it straight up magically resolves itself and that's the end that we here of it. There's not nuance to "get." It's not a complicated or thought provoking portrayal of relationships that needs analysis or an expert mind to "get." It's cliche as fuck.

Trojan

Just finished the game...quick impressions:

Overall just a fantastic game. I thought the epilogue was extremely well done and loved the inclusion of their daughter to really hit home the generational message.

I wasn't as disappointed with the "final boss" fight as others. I think boss fights in story games can be contrived anyway, so while it wasn't particularly well done I wasn't expecting much. More importantly, the story pacing at the end wasn't horribly interrupted by me dying on the last boss fight which is a pet peeve.

I thought UC2 was a better game at the time I played it, but the story of UC4 was so well done that it's got to be my favorite in the series. Until next time, Naughty Dog.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just started this last night, so glad Crushing is unlocked from the start, finally. Only took 5 games to get it right. Thanks ND. _b

The Argus

Playing on Hard, now more than ever do I hate having roll and cover as the same button. I love trying to escape behind a corner but instead clinging the wall and making Nate an evn bigger target.

Finished it. It was good but things like the completely shit pacing and the ending kind of put a damper on what could have easily been game of the year.

I don't get why the pacing of this game was so slow. It felt even slower than TLOU! Why? Did these guys forget what kind of game they were making?

It seemed like the directors and writers mostly holding this one down. Everything from a pure mechanical perspective was great. The combat was better than it's ever been...so of course now is the time they choose to tone down the number of encounters. Instead of thinking "Oh goddamn it another encounter" like in the other games, I would get excited because it had been so long since the last one. They're so fast and frantic now, and the enemies are actually smart and will surround you quickly, so movement is so important. I had a blast there and wish the whole game stuck to that balls to the wall action throughout.

But no. Instead we get a game that's often slow and ponderous with a LOT of characters just sitting around talking, I don;'t mind downtime but the game just wants to have so much of it that it's ridiculous.

In the end it's still polished and well made and I had some good fun with it. Some of the creative decisions are pretty baffling though.

I feel like I could have held off on this game, but the desire to see the ending without being spoiled after what ND was saying about it compelled me to make the jump and hold off on Overwatch instead. Now I'm wondering if I should have done the opposite.

LukasF

So that first firefight in the
ship graveyard
is abysmal on Crushing. Not just hard, but actually cheap. Anyone else have issues there? Any way to cheese it so I can spare myself another headache?

I feel you mate, this one was just painful and I was only playing on Hard. In the end I accidentally cheesed it by progressing towards the next area, which is forward and to the right of the ship most enemies spawn in; There'll be a second half of the fight where two heavies spawn from this new area as well. I died to them, but eventually it checkpointed me into the next phase of the fight (inside another ship).

Jennipeg

I'm just starting my crushing run, and I've noticed that treasures are there, even though I have already collected them in my last play through. I transferred the stats to my new save and in my treasure list it's showing that I have it. But it's also there in front of me in game. Is this weird?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm just starting my crushing run, and I've noticed that treasures are there, even though I have already collected them in my last play through. I transferred the stats to my new save and in my treasure list it's showing that I have it. But it's also there in front of me in game. Is this weird?

No it's normal. All the treasures reappear, even when you've collected them. The only exception to this are the rock cairns in Madagascar, those stay destroyed.

btw I noticed something on my treasure hunt: if you play on Explorer, the treasures are easier to spot, and you can see the triangle input from farther away.

Going through a replay of this and seriously, the wheeled crate lobby had to have put a gun to ND's heads while extolling the virtues of wheeled crates throughout all of human history and explaining how no hero can ever truly be a hero without the help of wheeled crates.

Jennipeg

No it's normal. All the treasures reappear, even when you've collected them. The only exception to this are the rock cairns in Madagascar, those stay destroyed.

Oh ok thanks, that's good to know. I think I may have cried if the trophy glitched at the end or something, I have 70 treasures to collect.

Just noticed your edit, I think I may leave treasure hunting for later, might be too difficult on crushing anyway.

Ratrat

This makes no freaking sense so

It's cool to kill pirates at first because in the end the bad guys want to use it as a weapon. But killing pirates to save your brother, which is a way better reason then going on a treasure hunt is reprehensible because there is no person trying to use the treasure to take overt the world?

This argument is nonsense regardless because it's a video game and stuff like this in a videogame where guns are used is always gonna happen. And in every game these people are actively trying to kill him, the motivation to fight back is so much stronger in this game then others.
Really? Drake witnesses Rafe murder the warden and they continue to kill a bunch of prison guards who are rightfully doing their job(considering they let Sam live, it wasnt justified either). He continues to work with the murderous Rafe even after. All the rest of the killing is a result of Sam lying because he didn't want Rafe to have any of the treasure, even though they wouldn't have gotten anywhere without him. All of these people are kind of shit. Except Nadine, the only sensible one.

I believe it was at odds with itself in terms of the tone they're established going back and forth between a realistic portrayal of human relationships and walking adventure movie cliches, Again, it straight up magically resolves itself and that's the end that we here of it. There's not nuance to "get." It's not a complicated or thought provoking portrayal of relationships that needs analysis or an expert mind to "get." It's cliche as fuck.
Who cares? Most fans of the series wanted a happy ending. This shit about Elena leaving Nate and other negative stuff is not how the series should end.

Jennipeg

Really? Drake witnesses Rafe murder the warden and they continue to kill a bunch of prison guards who are rightfully doing their job(considering they let Sam live, it wasnt justified either). He continues to work with the murderous Rafe even after. All the rest of the killing is a result of Sam lying because he didn't want Rafe to have any of the treasure, even though they wouldn't have gotten anywhere without him. All of these people are kind of shit. Except Nadine, the only sensible one.

You don't kill any guards after killing Vargus, you don't have a gun throughout that entire chase (I just played it a minute ago). I suppose Nate didn't have much else to do after he thought Sam was dead and went with Rafe. He eventually got sick of him and left. It seems killing civilians, and killing in cold blood is a no no. Mercenaries and anyone pointing a gun at you is fair game in this universe.

Also forgot to mention in all my posts, how much I LOVE the opening credits, I wish they sold some of these illustrations as prints or something. It's just a big nostalgia trip watching it.

hesido

Last night I fell to my death twice in those exploration / character development / walking simulator scenes because I fell asleep (not kidding, woke up to "Nate! Nooo!" with a gray screen.) It's a testament to how cinematic the game is.

eso76

I mean..explorer mode is a nice addition but what I would really like is a "solve puzzle" button after your first playthrough.
I thought I'd replay chapter
11 but had to quit when I was asked to go through the process of examining paintings and rotating those tiles
It was decent at first (except you're asked to do the same thing three times) but couldn't be bothered to do that again.

Exodust

Banned
Call me an idiot, but
I loved the final boss fight against Rafe, it was a lot better than Uncharted final boss fights in the past.

Jennipeg

I was gonna ask how the Hell do you have 7 platinum trophies in 5 games, but I forgot the Nathan Drake Collection has allows additional trophies.

If I platinum this, I will have 6. I didn't get the plat in UC1 PS3, and I haven't got round to getting UC3 in the collection yet. I'll end up with 7, I can't bring myself to do UC1 again, the bunker.... freaks me out too much. I got the plat for Golden Abyss, is that rare?

Edit: Just checked PSN profiles and it has Golden Abyss at 28%.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Who cares? Most fans of the series wanted a happy ending. This shit about Elena leaving Nate and other negative stuff is not how the series should end.
I guess every series should just have the happiest most self indulgent ending possible to appease fans. ND certainly had the wrong idea with their two projects.

I guess every series should just have the happiest most self indulgent ending possible to appease fans. ND certainly had the wrong idea with their two projects.

What is this other project that you speak of? You had a problem with TLOU ending as well?
And yes if you are emphasizing that this is the last game do you really want to send it off on a bitter note? Long time fans would not be happy with that. Yes ND are artists and they should stick their vision for the most part, but I think they also have a responsibility to respect their fans that put them in this position. A lot of people were very worried that Druckmann would take this game down a path too dark for the history of series and I think he did a great job of delivering a story with a much more serious tone that also respected fans expectations and wishes.

You seem to think they took the easy way out, but I don't think it is that cut and dry.

Ratrat

You don't kill any guards after killing Vargus, you don't have a gun throughout that entire chase (I just played it a minute ago). I suppose Nate didn't have much else to do after he thought Sam was dead and went with Rafe. He eventually got sick of him and left. It seems killing civilians, and killing in cold blood is a no no. Mercenaries and anyone pointing a gun at you is fair game in this universe.

Also forgot to mention in all my posts, how much I LOVE the opening credits, I wish they sold some of these illustrations as prints or something. It's just a big nostalgia trip watching it.
Right, I mistakenly had the two prison escapes merged into one. Anyway, were the guards at the auction house also Shoreline? Why are mercenaries fair game, considering in most of these cases Drake is intruding/stealing from them?

It really annoyed me when Nate didn't kill Rafe after beating him. He killed a bunch of hired men, but not the guy responsible. Makes no sense.

Jennipeg

I'm not sure how giving fans what they want is self indulgent? I understand you have issues with the way things wrapped up. But I aren't sure how self indulgent applies here? You could say they are pandering to their fans wishes.

Ratrat

Uh, he did, the treasure dropped on him wasn't just trinkets. He crushed Rafe to desth.
He had a chance after beating him but let him go. Then we get a very cliche unrepentant villianous backstab, which allows Drake to blamelessly kill him with a somewhat indirect, environmental attack.

Jennipeg

Right, I mistakenly had the two prison escapes merged into one. Anyway, were the guards at the auction house also Shoreline? Why are mercenaries fair game, considering in most of these cases Drake is intruding/stealing from them?

It really annoyed me when Nate didn't kill Rafe after beating him. He killed a bunch of hired men, but not the guy responsible. Makes no sense.

I'm not sure about
the guards at the auction, I think the implication is that all of the criminal underworld is there, and the guards are hired by rather unsavoury characters. If they were just resort security it would be harsh to kill them. I think they were mercs, though i'm not sure if they were necessarily Shoreline. Although Nate and Same did find Shoreline supplies so perhaps they were.

I'm not sure about
the guards at the auction, I think the implication is that all of the criminal underworld is there, and the guards are hired by rather unsavoury characters. If they were just resort security it would be harsh to kill them. I think they were mercs, though i'm not sure if they were necessarily Shoreline. Although Nate and Same did find Shoreline supplies so perhaps they were.

They weren't Shoreline. Nadine later scolds Rafe for not letting her use her men at the auction.

He had a chance after beating him but let him go. Then we get a very cliche unrepentant villianous backstab, which allows Drake to blamelessly kill him with a somewhat indirect, environmental attack.

I don't think it matters, though, the intent was always to kill because he had no choice. There's absolutely blame. Nate knew exactly what would happen. It's not blameless just because it's not direct or bloody.

Jennipeg

They weren't Shoreline. Nadine later scolds Rafe for not letting her use her men at the auction.

Ah right, so they are
Rafe's hired security. I figured they were too well equipped and too well trained for resort guards.
I haven't got to this part in my replay yet.

Scotch

I really liked it, but it's probably my least favorite game in the series (never played Golden Abyss). I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and more jaded, or because of the changes in this game, but I frequently found myself a little bored.

The pacing is my biggest problem. Too many climbing sections that go on too long, and not enough combat. Which is a shame because the combat is the best it's ever been.

The crumbling ledges, breaking bridges and last-second saves have always been a trope of the series, but it felt like they took it even further this time, and the climbing lost any sense of suspense it had left because of that.

I didn't like Sam that much, but otherwise I enjoyed the story. Still, I can't help but wonder how Hennig's vision of this game had panned out.

Ratrat

I'm not sure about
Didn't they stop Rafe? I dont think they are his. But yeah, I guess they were 'unsavoury' types.

I don't think it matters, though, the intent was always to kill because he had no choice. There's absolutely blame. Nate knew exactly what would happen. It's not blameless just because it's not direct or bloody.
If he had the intent why not do it when he had the chance? He gives Rafe his life back for what? Cause it would be wrong to kill him after everything? And its indirect because he might not even have died from it. I half expected him to chase Drake when the ship starts sinking.

Kaversmed

I'm not usually interested in trophy collecting but I've decided to go for the platinum in this one just because I love it so much. I'm just worried about the speedrun playthrough.. Is it tough to complete within six hours?

SpokkX

I really liked it, but it's probably my least favorite game in the series (never played Golden Abyss). I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and more jaded, or because of the changes in this game, but I frequently found myself a little bored.

The pacing is my biggest problem. Too many climbing sections that go on too long, and not enough combat. Which is a shame because the combat is the best it's ever been.

The crumbling ledges, breaking bridges and last-second saves have always been a trope of the series, but it felt like they took it even further this time, and the climbing lost any sense of suspense it had left because of that.

I didn't like Sam that much, but otherwise I enjoyed the story. Still, I can't help but wonder how Hennig's vision of this game had panned out.

I have played about 50% and i it will definately not reach tlou imo

Good:
+ stealth as an addition to combat
+ vehicle sections
+ improved shooting
+ physics (especially the rope)
+ story is enjoyable

Bad:
Some of the following will really DESTROY replayability

- long boring unsuspensful auto-climb sections (the worst offender)
- funneled chase sequences. Just find them a drag
- walking sim sections (manegable though)
- "puzzles". Why even bother?
- still a shooting gallery with lot spawning stupid enemies. I hade hoped they had taken inspiration from tlou with less and smarter enemies :(

I am inclined to agree with the eurogamer piece that this HAS a lot in common with "walking simulator". It really plays itself way to often

in regards to the pacing I find it quiet humorous seeing feedback that there's not enough shooting considering one of the main critiques from previous games were "endless waves of enemies" and "Nate is a mass murderer"

Opinions and all

" Another lifetime, Chloe."

Pretty much what I would have said to sum it all up about her too if I was Nate.
mjcry1.png

Edit
I stood in front of the mirror.. First thing i noticed our boy Drake is Llooking at it intently.. Then he goes on to give his hair a quick fix.. darn ND.
banderas.png

Dunno whats wrong with me right now, just not enjoying this at all. Every time I play it I wish I was playing something and its just not holding my attention. For context, I have played through all 4 previous UC's and got the platinums, so I dunno.

At Chapter 12 now, my God is this game gorgeous. I love the new pacing of the game too, more exploration and puzzles- less giant arenas that signal murder mayhem time.

eso76

K just started the game recently
I'm passed the boat-chase, teenage segment and small tower expedition thingy
, does it get any better? I'm not trying to be facetious or anything but it's not clicking

No, the first three chapters are literally the best part of the game.
/S

Endo Punk

UC4 did the quite moments really well for me and I actually enjoyed the platforming. I don't even bother pressing X to climb faster because I really love the way Nate moves from one handhold to the next. Puzzles hands down my fav too and spread out well.

All the "faults" people are coming up just doesn't apply to me(a lot of it is reaching or impatient play), and the issues I have are just so negligible. I said it before and I'll say it again, UC4 feels the most comfortable in its skin compared to the past trilogy. It respects its history but delivers something so much more, it honestly goes beyond what you typically expect from a sequel. This is the closure I so desperately wanted for the franchise after UC3.

Take your place next to bloodborne and Transistor as the prime gaming experiences of this gen as far as I'm concerned.

The stealth in this game is so fucking bad. I'm trying to get the scotland cemetery trophy and i's terrible, absolutely terrible. Don't put stealth mechanics in your game when you don't know how stealth mechanics work.
Not being able to hide bodies is a complete joke, too.

Edit: I give up, what a frustrating piece of sh...

The stealth in this game is so fucking bad. I'm trying to get the scotland cemetery trophy and i's terrible, absolutely terrible. Don't put stealth mechanics in your game when you don't know how stealth mechanics work.
Not being able to hide bodies is a complete joke, too.

They know how stealth mechanics work. They were great it The Last of Us. Just utter shit here.

just finished the game, damn just magnificent
love every minutes of it. the secenary, the characters, the mechanic, even the villain.
such a beutifull love letter to the fan
and for the haters that want dark and grim story, boo fucking hooo, you need a hug and hot choco bruh

Top Bottom