• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't get all the "climbing was just spamming X" complaints.

Like yeah. Sure. You can just spam X if you want.

But I enjoyed directing his hands and clambering around manually. Just watching the animations was satisfying as fuck, almost to a therapeutic extent. So, so, absurdly well animated.

Agreed. I purposefully positioned them, so I can reach with the sticks and climb that way.

Picked up where I left off from last weekend.

Chapter 11 is some of the best fun I've had in gaming recently.

And everytime I think I'm over the graphics, something new emerges.

Certainly the best looking game I've played.

SomTervo

Agreed. I purposefully positioned them, so I can reach with the sticks and climb that way.

Same here.

Climbed on Sam for the first time the other day, too. Amazing animation. A dynamic, fellow NPC becoming a climbable object when you're nearby. Fucking amazing work.

Picked up where I left off from last weekend.

Chapter 11 is some of the best fun I've had in gaming recently.

And everytime I think I'm over the graphics, something new emerges.

Certainly the best looking game I've played.

Ain't seen nothin yet, bub

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I still dont buy the "well it looks realistic so it should behave exactly like real life". Here is why. Even in movies/films that are made in our reality, they behave unrealistic.

You have can have a "serious" in tone film done but still have some unrealistic characteristics to sell a character, scene or setting. The only thing that is 100% authentic tends to be documentaries. (as long as they arent biased or shot in a way to deceive people or groups)
It's not even that it just looks more realistic than previous games. The characters themselves at moments act more realistic, much more realistic than they did in previous games. Again the game wears the influence of TLOU directly on its sleeve.band even has a subtle moment where ND rejects the previous games when Drake picks up his belt buckle and says "Not my style anymore."

This is why the whole "Drake is a mass murderer" thing falls flat on its face because even in our films that are shot with real human actors, the character they play have unrealistic features. How am I supposed to believe that Indiana Jones is a college teacher when he travels and kills people? I know why, because its a movie meant to not be taken like literal gospel. Just like that, why does Drake get away with it? Oh yea its a gaming mechanic and has me doing something that 99% of the audience likes.
Indiana Jones kills less people in all of his movies combined compared to Drake in this one game, who does so expertly via snapping necks,
If there were more moments in the general gameplay like the one where's he's running from the truck that Shorejne somehow got onto the island which has him very clearly making a shit ton of mistakes and stumbling more than ever than I'd agree. But the way he avoids death in this game is straight up insane compared to how grounded everything is compared to how it was in previous games, even the obligatory ancient treasure place crumbling apart segment is much more realistic than the others.

TLOU is TLOU and Uncharted is Uncharted. Whether ND took some stuff they learnt from their last game doesnt mean Uncharted is going to become a survival horror game with the cast dying left and right.
No one is even asking for that.

That's what ND was saying. They took what they found that worked well in TLOU and injected some of it to U4. Did it work for the best? Maybe. Its debatable as some feel some sections suffered from it. Still, Uncharted remains what it always was, a action like adventure with a plot spreading over the world looking for treasure. Based on the original teaser, I think the story might have been alittle more "dark" as you get the feeling Sam was out for revenge. Given the fact it has reviewed really well, ND did the perfect mix of old school Uncharted adventure with good injection of TLOU experience into it.
Like many aspects o the marketing I feel the game was advertised as having a much braver and way less safe plot than what we got, yes that includes the original teaser.

I personally believe that killing some of the cast in U4 would havebeen a little bad in taste assuming this would be the last official ND Uncharted game. Like did you really want ND to go out in a "bang" with all the player throwbacks (easter eggs,MP skins of old cast, "One last time" adventures with main 3 characters) in this game and then in a sour note of "RIP Nate" or whoever just to satisfy some weird "Well it should be like TLOU depressing" mentality? Its like the polar opposite and I am glad Nate got his story closed like it did in the prologue. I think 99% of Uncharted fans agree.
Considering the hyperbole surrounding the game atm it's very difficult to actually discuss the plot because of something someone aptly named the Unharted effect. And yes,
The marketing and ND themselves teased a much less safe plot line. "oh there's a lot of sadness in the studio due to the ending." "Oh the ending is super divisive." This is like, the most self indulgent and vanilla possible ending to a story, everyone lives and Drake is rich with a daughter and a dog and a beach house. No consequences have been experienced as a result of the plot.

Actually this is touched upon in the story. Like Nate literally tells Sam its not worth the risk. (this is after finding out that it was all a lie and Sam wasnt in Danger from Alcazar) Not only that but the "sub-story" with Evelyn, who worked with Drake's mom, is a reflection of what Nate would end up as if he kept it up....sad and lonely. Plus the Pirate's own letters reflect a horrible experience trying to get the wealth and riches. They all end up dying somewhere.
Even his brother who's the embodiment and reflection of that lives in the end, it's basically all a farce, only Drake and his friends benefit. Nadine lost her army, Rafe died, the poor old woman died after the exposition all talk, it's boring. It doesn't make me reflect on the plot itself at all. It doesn't make the player think about the implications of their actions. It's basically a more realistically toned version of the kind of thing ND said they weren't about as a studio in an oddly paced experience.
So Nate did get his wake up call from U3. He only joined in when he learned about his brother and his lie. Doesnt mean he didnt secretly like it but then that is solved when Elena and him go the legal method of looking for treasures. Since Sam was in prison for 15 yrs, he didnt realize how risky it is to looking for these lost treasures so it can be said Nate has past that realization and Sam has not thus teaming with Rafe/Nadine. (actually he must of know but he wasnt "satisfied" so he still wanted to risk it all, again. Ignoring he had been shot and incarcerated - Nate not willing to risk losing his family Elena and Sully)
Nate learned his lesson especially after seeing a vision of Sully dying in cold blood, but he went back into the adventure and stopped caring about the part where he needs to save his brother, instead he became excited about the treasure itself, Sully and Elena call him out on it and
after they leave that couldve been the cut off point.

Anyways a death from the main cast wouldnt have made for a good closure to the series. The way it has been ended is like the prefect way to rap up Nate's story and perfect send off for the series.
For me it's way too perfect and self indulgent, it even leaves possibilities for more entries. When we got TLOU I honestly expected better from ND and that's without even counting the contrivances like Elena magically finding Nate multiple times in the story or the old woman having a heart attack for the sake of the plot in terms of timing.

Oh you want me to stop ignoring something? Ironic.

Anyhow, there isnt't a hole. Chapter 4 and the purchase cutscene are similar in tone.

The epilogue is not like them.
I went ahead and listens to the epilogue, yea no they're one and the same. I guess the tension never went away. Because apparently smiles mean nothing and especially not the nuance of trying to hide excitement.

Yo seriously spoiler tag your shit, you just wrote out the ending dude.

Yet the game tries as hard as possible to humanize everyone, (except for Rafe) . The tone is at odds with itself because the game wants to be part cliche action movie and part deconstruction of characters and doesn't go all the way on either.

That to me felt like the game saying that Drake did nothing wrong. Since apparently Elena misses adventure too, so thank god that he lied to her for weeks and got her tangled up with mercenaries.

I think there's a pretty clear difference line between vague kinds like
follow the sound of gunfire and having better explanations besides Elena seemingly having telepathy for finding Drake, the other games were way better about that part in particular.
More so, in a pulpy action adventure is all about being self aware of the jumps in logic and dance around what is posible and what is not, that's a big part of what is fun about the genre.

Also the lies about the trip are clearly not what really got Elena upset, but the fact that Drake was liying everyday about what kind of life would make him happy
No it was the part where he lied to her for weeks, "if you were killed o wouldn't even have known about
Maybe is just a taste thing, if you don't enjoy 80´s action movies, then i have no idea what kind of story would you expect out of an uncharted game.
This is the least 80s action movie out of any IC game by a long shot. Again, this would've been fine with me if they hadn't stuck so blindly to every trope established earlier in the plot
Edit: Yes the game pace was a little off and is not perfect, but the things you mention are hardly the areas where i think it can be improved up really

God forbid someone offers up any kind of critique for an Uncharted game.

Acknowledging that he's flawed shouldn't be a get out of jail free card, people who've done worse or better yet less have gotten what they deserved in the end. He's not a straight up villain like Joel but he's pretty damn flawed to get off with absolutely nothing pertinent happening to him besides "oh I might lose my wife."

On mobile so pardon the giant quote.

I don't have any problem with criticising the game, I've done plenty of criticising both the writing and game design, I don't think its a magnum opus, but I do think the narrative is overall exceptional. There are a few plot contrivances like people showing up at just the right time, but those are so far down on the totem poll of narrative importance to me, and since the game mostly gets the important stuff like character writing (barring chapter 16) right, I can let stuff like that slide super easy.

I'm responding to your criticisms because they seem super strange to me. Your issues primarily seem to be with tone, since you expect everything to have the exact same weight that it does were it in real life. And I don't really know how to explain it, because cinema and games have conditioned so many people to this sort of heightened reality. Like in action sequences the aesthetics all work together so that the music, quips, exaggerated ragdolls, crazy action, and lack of citizens screaming about their ruined lives make it clear that the action is doesn't have the ruinous impact it would in real life.
I'm not sure why you think the action tone and character driven narrative are mutually exclusive things, especially when the story doesn't really have those things contradict. You never have some random person going up to drake going like "you ruined my house, now I have to sell my body on the street to make a living"...because that's fucking ridiculous for the tone here. And
Nate hypothetically explaining the story to Cassie is another non issue, it would go "and the shoreline chased me through the city and I saved Sam and made it out by the skin of my teeth" because the people in the story all have the same perspective on the action in the game.
Like...I'm not sure how else to explain it or why you have a problem with it.

Also...Joel was not a straight up villain in The Last of Us lol. But that you see him as one certainly explains your moral outlook on Uncharted.

AzureFlame

Just finished the game after cloaking 18 hours, amazing game, Uncharted 2 still holds the No1 spot but this one might get the 2nd spot, kinda dissapointed at certain things but overall what an amazing ride.

Gsnap

Don't get all the "climbing was just spamming X" complaints.

Like yeah. Sure. You can just spam X if you want.

But I enjoyed directing his hands and clambering around manually. Just watching the animations was satisfying as fuck, almost to a therapeutic extent. So, so, absurdly well animated.

To me, the enjoyment I get out of the climbing is basically related to the overall pacing of the game. Taken on its own, the climbing isn't interesting. It requires nothing of the player. So, when it continues and continues for long periods without breaking it up with other more interesting things it becomes tedious and makes me want to mash x to get it over with faster. But, if the basic climbing is broken up by other things like rope swinging, sliding, big jumps, puzzles, and most importantly, enemy encounters, then yes the basic, peaceful, and almost meditative nature of the basic climbing is quite enjoyable as a pallet cleanser. The sites are beautiful, the animations are wonderful, and listening to the characters chat is nice. But go on for too long.................. and it becomes a chore. I'm on my second playthrough right now and I just finished Scotland. And I think that entire area is perfectly paced. Basic climbing never lasts too long. And the climbing that was there was enjoyable with a good amount of sliding and roping mixed in with timing based jumps to keep you on your toes and engaged. Enemy encounters are spread out in a good logical fashion with multiple encounters (in areas with enjoyable designs unlike some late game areas). Some bigger, some smaller (
sometimes you just run across 2 or 3 guys, adding a simple layer of stealth to the basic climbing
), some calm, and some hectic. There are two big puzzles, but they aren't too challenging to cause a big roadblock, and the story is really ramping up with mystery. Top it off with a
classic escape section that brings it all together
and bam. Perfectly paced few chapters.

But I feel like this pacing starts to fall apart in the last 2/3rds, with too much basic climbing/walking back to back. Of course the last bit has far too many enemy encounters back to back as well.

But anyway, yes. It's quite easy for the basic climbing to become unenjoyable when it lasts as long as it often does in this game.

Crossing Eden

Yo seriously spoiler tag your shit, you just wrote out the ending dude.

On mobile so pardon the giant quote.
Yea that's my bad, I was on mobile as well and it was really hard to keep track on the format hence all the errors, fixed.

I don't have any problem with criticising the game, I've done plenty of criticising both the writing and game design, I don't think its a magnum opus, but I do think the narrative is overall exceptional. There are a few plot contrivances like people showing up at just the right time, but those are so far down on the totem poll of narrative importance to me, and since the game mostly gets the important stuff like character writing (barring chapter 16) right, I can let stuff like that slide super easy.
I really can't as those things are especially egregious in comparison to the parts that they get right in the same way that the overuse of the crate pushing mechanic is egregious as hell compared to the idea of the rope swinging mechanic and the rope itself.

I'm responding to your criticisms because they seem super strange to me. Your issues primarily seem to be with tone, since you expect everything to have the exact same weight that it does were it in real life.
I don't expect it to have the same tone as real life, but when they go out of their way to ground the characters early on
compare Hector Alcazar in the flashback the way he threatens Sam compared to someone like Badguyovich or Talbot and he's WAY more intimidating and grounded in tone especially compared to the initial villains, just like the issues with pacing I feel the game, or rather ND had issues with deciding if they wanted to be all grounded or fully committed to making an UC title and what we got is this weird in-between where some moments are incredibly believable but other moments are completely stuck to action movie tropes. This culminating in an ending that feels almost obligatorily happy instead of genuine, I feel that bittersweet would've been more genuine in the same way that ROTJ feels strange with Anakin becoming a force ghost and everyone partying at the end compared to what the original idea was, the one Mark Hamill preferred that was bittersweet. I also feel it's a missed opportunity to critique some of the tropes that the series stuck to so vehemently, because it does it sometimes and doesn't other times.

And I don't really know how to explain it, because cinema and games have conditioned so many people to this sort of heightened reality. Like in action sequences the aesthetics all work together so that the music, quips, exaggerated ragdolls, crazy action, and lack of citizens screaming about their ruined lives make it clear that the action is doesn't have the ruinous impact it would in real life.
Honestly in past games it was nowhere near as egregious as the Madagascar sequence, much of the destruction happened away from people in past games and the game made it a point to show that it wasn't ok when actual civilians got hurt, like that village in UC2. Drake in this game even says easy on the civilians early on, but contradicts that later in the game. Again it's that clashing of tones and ND not being able to deliver on a good middle ground between what UC is supposed to be and "what they learned from TLOU."

I'm not sure why you think the action tone and character driven narrative are mutually exclusive things, especially when the story doesn't really have those things contradict.
They aren't mutually exclusive but there are better ways to do some of the things they did in this game.

You never have some random person going up to drake going like "you ruined my house, now I have to sell my body on the street to make a living"...because that's fucking ridiculous for the tone here. And
Nate hypothetically explaining the story to Cassie is another non issue, it would go "and the shoreline chased me through the city and I saved Sam and made it out by the skin of my teeth" because the people in the story all have the same perspective on the action in the game.
Like...I'm not sure how else to explain it or why you have a problem with it.
Again it's the self indulgent nature of it and the back and forth tone between action movie and realistic character study, i understand why they ended it this way but seriously it's disappointing compared to how much they were hyping it up and the tone of the story at points compared to the actual payoff we get, like Dunkey said, it starts to magically resolve itself. In fact, there should be tension that purchase scene, but it looks like this
V28W9tP.gif

yet THIS is tension.
hL1gUFm.gif

Also...Joel was not a straight up villain in The Last of Us lol. But that you see him as one certainly explains your moral outlook on Uncharted.
He certainly wasn't a hero. Actually that's wrong, there's a point where there's no longer a straight up antagonist for the player to fight due to the defeat of David. The entire end sequence was spent emphasizing how bad he was from the perspective of Ellie, the way he talks doesn't seem genuine at all. And again it's down to player agency, you don't have to kill the doctors but you're allowed to.

dralla

Wow, did you know you can skip part
of the E3 jeep set piece? In the market place area you can run past the the armored and go up the stairs and get into the jeep without going into the building at all, avoiding the roof top platforming bit,

Crossing Eden

of the E3 jeep set piece? In the market place area you can run past the the armored and go up the stairs and get into the jeep without going into the building at all, avoiding the roof top platforming bit,
That's the way to speed up that sequence during a speedrun since there's no other way to proceed other than the stairs.

Frozone

THE best PS4 game to date! What a blast! I loved the ending although I hated the final boss battle.

Rock on Naughty Dog!

Keihart

Same here.

Climbed on Sam for the first time the other day, too. Amazing animation. A dynamic, fellow NPC becoming a climbable object when you're nearby. Fucking amazing work.

Ain't seen nothin yet, bub

How about that cover also, parterns don't use your cover, you can actually share the same space similar to how it was in TLoU.

Tag team melee atacks are way too fucking cool, like when Drake holds Elena from her hips to kick the enemy.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He certainly wasn't a hero.

I disagree with that. The whole "sacrifice" premise rests upon believing the Fireflies are as good as they say they are, something that utterly flies in the face of everything we've learned over the course of the journey.

How about that cover also, parterns don't use your cover, you can actually share the same space similar to how it was in TLoU.

Tag team melee atacks are way too fucking cool, like when Drake holds Elena from her hips to kick the enemy.
The game recognises opportunities for tag team melee attacks but weirdly not tag team stealth takedowns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_QUIxyqQE even though the mechanic is introduced by Sam in a previous chapter?

nib95

Banned
And the
lying to Elena bit..like did you miss the whole point of the story and how Sam'a lie mirrors this or any of the character development as to why he lied?
Did you miss the part where he lied to her for weeks and she still forgave him after a couple of quips and a pirate reenactment. This dude lied for weeks.

He lied to her to save his brothers life and in some ways to protect not only Elena, but himself because he feared losing her with the truth. Regarding Elena taking him back, refer to this post of mine earlier.

I also think some people just don't really understand the characters or appreciate the nuance of the story telling or character exposition. Elena doesn't fall for Nate's quips, what an insulting premise. The whole point is that Elena not only empathised with why Drake lied, but deep down Elena was herself subduing the monotony and lack of adventure in her own life, just masking it better than Nate. Lest we forget she used to be an investigate journalist who of her own accord would be involved in death defying situations, and know how to sift them out. In several scenes such as the Pirate banquet, this realisation dawns on her, and it's the reason she invests in the company at the end in the first place. It's an escape for both of them, allowing them to do what they both yearn and love, but without as much danger.

Also, she never forgave him over the
Pirate reanactment.
She forgave him when she went back to help him, despite her walking out on him earlier in the game. Her sentiment over the
Pirate reanactment
wasn't one of forgiveness, but as I stated above, one of the realisation that they are both not cut out for this boring mundane and ordinary life, and that they both blossom only with these sorts of findings and this sort of adventure. She had been lying to herself as much as Nate had.

I also really do find it perplexing that you feel like a pulp, popcorn action flick type experience like this, needs death and retribution to balance things out, like there has to be some sort of grave misfortune as atonement for all their sins. A death would have been such a cliché thing, and everyone and their mother pretty much expected one. So glad they didn't go that most obvious route.

Keihart

He lied to her to save his brothers life and in some ways to protect not only Elena, but himself because he feared losing her with the truth. Regarding Elena taking him back, refer to this post of mine earlier.

I really do find it perplexing that you feel like a pulp, popcorn action flick type experience like this, needs death and retribution to balance things out, like there has to be some sort of grave misfortune as atonement for all their sins. A death would have been such a cliché thing, and everyone and their mother pretty much expected one. So glad they didn't go that most obvious route.

Yeah , in fact i loved the moment when
Sam asks Nate to leave him and makes you think for a moment that we are in that cliche moment but then Uncharted team plays in the background and Nate has de brilliant almost stupid idea of shooting a canon to escape like it was MCGiver

Crossing Eden

I disagree with that. The whole "sacrifice" premise rests upon believing the Fireflies are as good as they say they are, something that utterly flies in the face of everything we've learned over the course of the journey.
True. But out of all the factions, they seemed like the least crazy and most genuine, especially those doctors. That is not counting Joel's family, who are saints.

To imply that I don't get the nuance of
What ultimately is a really cliche action adventure plot that's been not only been done before in cinema but better as well
is really insulting. There's not so much nuance that anyone who doesn't think that there's no flaws in the characterization of plot is stupid.

I also really do find it perplexing that you feel like a pulp, popcorn action flick type experience like this, needs death and retribution to balance things out, like there has to be some sort of grave misfortune as atonement for all their sins. A death would have been such a cliché thing, and everyone and their mother pretty much expected one. So glad they didn't go that most obvious route.
Yea it's great that they went for every obvious plot point and cliche in this type of plot ever EXCEPT for character deaths. Good on them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I only have the dolphin trophy left for the platinum... and I hate it so much. I've been looking at vids but I can't get a third one. There are some lame trophies on the list, but this is by far the worst

If I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying, that's exactly what I did on both playthroughs. Never did any rooftop platforming lol

Cubed

I only have the dolphin trophy left for the platinum... and I hate it so much. I've been looking at vids but I can't get a third one. There are some lame trophies on the list, but this is by far the worst
A lot of people seem to think this is glitched or just plain difficult... I lucked out and got it 4 minutes after first trying to get it.

Just drive around the mini-islands near the shipwreck to find that third dolphin.

Kalentan

True. But out of all the factions, they seemed like the least crazy and most genuine, especially those doctors. That is not counting Joel's family, who are saints.

Yeah those genuine doctors who didn't even bother to ask Ellie before hand. The fact that they kept Ellie under the entire time discredits them completely.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A lot of people seem to think this is glitched or just plain difficult... I lucked out and got it 4 minutes after first trying to get it.

Just drive around the mini-islands near the shipwreck to find that third dolphin.

I'm only driving back and forth in that area, like the guide vids show, only gives me two. Going to try again for a while and put on some music, this trophy is the worst

takoyaki

The terrible
boss fight against Rafe
at the end really annoyed me. Was having such fun too.

Just finished the game and loved it, but I agree that this part was horrible.
I hate it when a boss fight introduces a new mechanic that hasn't shown up before and expects you to die over and over until you either get it or just succeed because you get lucky.
The shooting felt better in UC4 but I still didn't really enjoy it. Otherwise, this game was pretty much perfect and the most fun I had with a AAA game in a long while.
And that Epilogue scene was the perfect way to end the series imo.

Blablurn

Naughty Dog mastered gameplay with 2

But they killed it in terms of story telling with 4. Respect to the voice actors too. Incredible work.

Yeah , in fact i loved the moment when
Sam asks Nate to leave him and makes you think for a moment that we are in that cliche moment but then Uncharted team plays in the background and Nate has de brilliant almost stupid idea of shooting a canon to escape like it was MCGiver
I was literally so close to getting up and walking out of the room if
they went through and killed him. I'm glad they went that route.

DOWN

Banned
I just finished the game so spoilers:

it feels like ND tried to leave SONY with a period of adventuring in the timeline that Sam and Sully could star in if they want returning characters to keep the franchise alive, and some openness with the daughter.

Also, no supernatural twist in this game was surprising but fine by me

Fantastic game and graphically stunning

SomTervo

Just finished the game and loved it, but I agree that this part was horrible.
I hate it when a boss fight introduces a new mechanic that hasn't shown up before and expects you to die over and over until you either get it or just succeed because you get lucky.

Engame spoilers
The new mechanic was literally two buttons. It immediately made sense and was very, very easy to understand.

I completed the boss fight in one go without dying.

It absolutely wasn't the best, but
"wah wah, new mechanic in last fight" argument definitely doesn't apply here. This isn't like MGS4's last fight where 8 new button actions and three whole new mechanics were introduced. This is exactly the same controls with Triangle and Circle doing different, very intuitive things.

Again, not the best boss fight by any means, but that criticism holds no water for me.

mstevens

Well..

Peaceful resolution is officially glitched for me. I've done it twice now (first time was full stealth, no yellow or anything, and I was watching sam the whole time). Second time I just ran through as fast as I could. Didn't pop either time, even after hanging out in chapter 15 for 2-3 minutes.

Very annoyed.

I just finished the game so spoilers:

it feels like ND tried to leave SONY with a period of adventuring in the timeline that Sam and Sully could star in if they want returning characters to keep the franchise alive, and some openness with the daughter.

Also, no supernatural twist in this game was surprising but fine by me

Fantastic game and graphically stunning
It was a smart move. I wonder if they were given total freedom to make that call on their own or how much Sony pressured for it to be put in.

Engame spoilers
The new mechanic was literally two buttons. It immediately made sense and was very, very easy to understand.

"wah wah, new mechanic in last fight" argument definitely doesn't apply here. This isn't like MGS4's last fight where 8 new button actions and three whole new mechanics were introduced. This is exactly the same controls with Triangle and Circle doing different, very intuitive things.

Again, not the best boss fight by any means, but that criticism holds no water for me.

The problem
is that they made the fight too easy to "luck" your way through it on moderate so some won't really get it, despite it being a simple fight.

The harder difficulties make it feel like more of a rhythm game where you're actually
punished for messing up. I enjoyed it much more on my second playthrough. It's not a great fight by any means, but not a big deal compared to some of the other flaws of the game and let's face it, Uncharted has never had great final boss fights anyway.

sn00zer

I really enjoyed this, also the Ratchet & Clank review was great (I even gave the video a like so you don't have to cry yourself to sleep at night).
Are you the one who finished the game or the one still playing?

Ah cool thanks for the listen. Im the one who hadnt finished.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first Uncharted game. I didn't get U3 for the PS3. Pretty good so far.

takoyaki

Engame spoilers

I'm glad that you had fun with that scene but in my case, it definitely applied and really killed the momentum.
It felt like a poor implementation of a great idea, stuck between a QTE scene and a real fight where you're in control. If they had to include that fight the way it was, at least have Nate and Sam have a similar fight with wooden swords in the flashback scene or something like that as a reference point.

RDreamer

I'm glad that you had fun with that scene but in my case, it definitely applied and really killed the momentum.
It felt like a poor implementation of a great idea, stuck between a QTE scene and a real fight where you're in control. If they had to include that fight the way it was, at least have Nate and Sam have a similar fight with wooden swords in the flashback scene or something like that as a reference point.

They should have had the mechanic available in most of the hand to hand fights through the game. Then have some of the fights include something like a pipe or a bat or something once in a while just to throw that look and the animations, too. As it is, the fights are missing some sort of dodge button anyway.

People saying the music isn't good are crazy. The melody that plays in chapter 17 after
Nate and Elena come out of the elevator
is spot on.

People saying the music isn't good are crazy. The melody that plays in chapter 17 after
Nate and Elena come out of the elevator
is spot on.

It's more subdued than the other Uncharted scores, and perhaps even not quite as good. But it's certainly very strong, there's a lot of great pieces on there and it fits the tone of the game perfectly.

mstevens

FUCK the peaceful resolution trophy.

I did it successfully twice. Third try, they checkpoint me at the very end in a spot that I get spotted in immediately. Fuck this shit.

Top Bottom