• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Wiped89

So how about this:

The epilogue takes place in England at Nathan's funeral, and his daughter is still very young, elana is obviously grieving but is approached by Roger Croft (a handsome world explorer), as the scene fades out Elana introduces herself and her daughter; Laura!!!!!!! Straight fire, BROs!

Cute, but if you pay attention to the
epilogue, their daughter is called Cassie

nib95

Banned
Wait, if you can't play through this game stealthily on harder difficulties, how did I get through 70% or more of the game on crushing using stealth? Some form of magic perhaps? I wish people who suck at the game would stop projecting their own strategic shortcomings on to the game itself. Yes it's much harder and more realistic, sure. Yes you also have to be far more cautious and strategic about how you traverse the map or move around, but that ought to be the case for harder difficulties.

Stealth actually means something on Crushing, because unlike on Moderate, you don't have aeons of time to get back in to hiding when you've been spotted before enemies are alerted, instead they spot you and react immediately, as it should be on the hardest difficulty. Reading some of the complaints, it feels like people just want the harder difficulties to actually just be easy or completely unrealistic. Eg let me swing about on this rope with enemies surrounding me, and not only get away without being spotted, but without being shot too. If you want that, stick to moderate, that's what it's for. Crushing is obviously intended to be a more realistic and punishing experience, which requires considerably more tactical consideration.

Jennipeg

They absolutely took the easy way out because they didn't stick with the tone established. They didn't stick with the UC tone nor did they stick with the more serious tone, ad then we get a perfect everyone wins happy ending that's not thought provoking in anyway shape or form in the same way that MGSV's ending is "You're actually the biggest boss, congrats here's a cookie." And no there's a large difference between bittersweet, and straight up bitter.

Nathan Drake having a daughter living rich on a beach house without a worry in the world and then retelling his story enthusiastically is pretty friggin self indulgent.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is who is being self indulgent here. The developers or Nate?

SDR-UK

Just a heads up (and for people who are fans of themes on PS4), the two dynamic themes for this game are amazing. I particularly like the ink theme which has a slower and softer sounding main theme.

Definitely give them a buy, guys.

Just a heads up (and for people who are fans of themes on PS4), the two dynamic themes for this game are amazing. I particularly like the ink theme which has a slower and softer sounding main theme.

I bought the ink theme and I love it.

Am I the only one who thought the
jeep section with Elana right after she saved Nate was weird?
I mean, I expected them to have something to talk about, but instead they didn't talk a lot at all and when they did it was just about some of the obstacles in their way. I expected some good meaningful dialogue here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well into chapter 11 now and loving just about everything in the game except for the shooting combat. This will sound like hyperbole, I'm sure, but I honestly feel like it's garbage-tier up to the point I am in the game. Maybe I'm playing it wrong or something, but it does not feel good to play at all. Each shooting encounter is pure frustration and I'm only left relieved when it's finally over. Conversely, I'm really enjoying playing stealthily. Part of it is because it's fun figuring out the puzzle of what the right order in which to take out foes without getting caught is, but also because it allows me to not engage with the shooting gameplay.

I thought the combat in the original Uncharted was just OK at the time. It was never great, but didn't piss me off. Uncharted 2 was fantastic, and I actually really enjoyed the combat in that game enough to Platinum it. Both the stealth and shooting were really fun to me. Then I absolutely hated what they did with the controls and encounter design in Uncharted 3. It seems like this is a continuation of Uncharted 3's combat, unfortunately.

Hopefully it clicks for me at some point, but so far the shooting gameplay is the only thing dragging the whole experience down for me.

Jennipeg

Buying it now! Love the ink drawings from the intro. Finally time to replace my 20th anniversary theme.

Edit: Thanks man, that was a good purchase.

-griffy-

Banned
I mean, I expected them to have something to talk about, but instead they didn't talk a lot at all and when it was just about some of the obstacles in their way. I expected some good meaningful dialogue here.

Hm? There was some pretty potent stuff there actually.
Not all of it was conveyed verbally though. The acting of the characters has gotten that good. You can tell Elena is still upset with Nate, but she's also determined to help him get to Sam, because she knows that's important to him, so she's electing to not to lay into him about it in that moment. You can tell she's also worried he's pushing things too far this time, but still, she's not gonna abandon him. This kind of stuff is conveyed as much with looks and when Elena chooses not to speak as it is in the moment when they ride the elevator up together.

sn00zer

Be sure to give an update once you are done with it.
How old are you guys? I'm asking because I totally agree with the 'tacked on multiplayer' comments you guys made and you kind of link that to age.

We'll do a spoilercast thing later... were in our mid to late 20s. We both played ton of multi games in highschool, but we dont have the time or energy for them.

I mean, I expected them to have something to talk about, but instead they didn't talk a lot at all and when they did it was just about some of the obstacles in their way. I expected some good meaningful dialogue here.
What?
they talk plenty about their relationship.

Did you like miss all the optional conversations or something?

There's some real good stuff there.

Raysod

Banned
Wait, if you can't play through this game stealthily on harder difficulties, how did I get through 70% or more of the game on crushing using stealth? Some form of magic perhaps? I wish people who suck at the game would stop projecting their own strategic shortcomings on to the game itself. Yes it's much harder and more realistic, sure. Yes you also have to be far more cautious and strategic about how you traverse the map or move around, but that ought to be the case for harder difficulties.

Stealth actually means something on Crushing, because unlike on Moderate, you don't have aeons of time to get back in to hiding when you've been spotted before enemies are alerted, instead they spot you and react immediately, as it should be on the hardest difficulty. Reading some of the complaints, it feels like people just want the harder difficulties to actually just be easy or completely unrealistic. Eg let me swing about on this rope with enemies surrounding me, and not only get away without being spotted, but without being shot too. If you want that, stick to moderate, that's what it's for. Crushing is obviously intended to be a more realistic and punishing experience, which requires considerably more tactical consideration.

70% of the game is platforming and whole chapters of storytelling without enemies to fight... :p

sorry but I had to make that comment lol

Not all of it was conveyed verbally though. The acting of the characters has gotten that good. You can tell Elena is still upset with Nate, but she's also determined to help him get to Sam, because she knows that's important to him, so she's electing to not to lay into him about it in that moment. You can tell she's also worried he's pushing things too far this time, but still, she's not gonna abandon him. This kind of stuff is conveyed as much with looks and when Elena chooses not to speak as it is in the moment when they ride the elevator up together.

Welp, I spoke a little too soon. Wrote this just before I saw the scene in the 3rd elevator.

The part before that still felt weird. I saw that they kinda went for an elephant in the room type of feel to the whole jeep section but it didn't really work in my opinion. Their practical conversations sounded too normal.

I have to delete all previous updates to download the latest one, kind of annoying. So I just did that, installed it and when I tried to boot up the story mode I have a load time that started at 20 minutes and climbed towards 40 minutes before crashing and the ps4 was no longer able to read the disk.

Rebooted everything and I still I get a climbing timer when trying to start the single player, is this game destroying my ps4?

Raysod

Banned
His motivations weren't anything spectacular, true. But there's enough there from the first time you meet him to know he ain't right, and it makes sense the Drakes would want distance.

Nadine is definitely as sinister to me. Her motivation makes sense. But to me, Sam willing to take her out only shows he's willing to do what Nate never is, but even that was to save them...not because he's anywhere near the levl of rafe in ruthlessness. It's a kill or be killed thing.. Nadine was and is willing to kill them at any point. They went out of their way to avoid her more than once.

Yeah, they are all thieves, but no, not all of them are willing to straight up murder. Especially Nate. Sure he kills hordes of goons, but it's mercenaries set out to kill him. Still not in the league of Rafe who has set those players in motion. But you need no other evidence that he's a piece of trash than the end, where his character has the opportunity to redeem himself by working with them to escape, and instead wants to just gut Nate. He becomes maniacal for being thwarted and ...jealousy, I guess.

Also, I don't remember Nate hiding the cross from Rafe. My memory must be going. I only remember him hiding it from the Prison dude.

There is a small conversation between Nathan and Sam in chapter 2, after we finish the encounter with the guard and have the cross, where Nathan says to Sam to fuck Rafe and that it’s just the two brothers in the treasure hunt, and Sam tells him that without Rafe’s help they could not be able to brake in the prison.

And before they finish Rafe interrupted them and the story continued.

Still I don’t understand what created the amount of jealousy/rage of Rafe against Nathan that drives him to madness in the end.

Logic says that even if Rafe left at that moment from the burning ship and left Nathan to deal with trapped Sam, he still had the upper hand of the situation, he had the two brothers in a near death situation plus he had what’s left of the mercenary army.

If the cave crashed, the treasure would still be there to get even if he needed to dig through the rocks.

I agree that Nathan never was a cold blood killer, but he didn’t show any remorse signs when he killed all the people that he killed, even bad mercenaries.

Maybe a supernatural intervention could set a better ending on the final fight.

I will not make any final judgments before I play the story DLC though. Maybe there ND will give us more background story of the character relationships and development.

Jennipeg

Welp, I spoke a little too soon. Wrote this just before I saw the scene in the 3rd elevator.

The part before that still felt weird. I saw that they kinda went for an elephant in the room type of feel to the whole jeep section but it didn't really work in my opinion. Their practical conversations sounded too normal.

Have you seen
the silent jeep ride? Serious feels right there. And the conversation after it?

Maybe a transcript of what they say sounds too normal.

BibiMaghoo

Just finished, game was the best of the series. I was legit surprised with the ending, I was expecting quite the other end of the scale to be the case.

Fuck that speedrun trophy though, not even going to try.

ActWan

Just got to chapter
, I have a feeling I'm close to the ending. If so, probably gonna finish it tomorrow. The combination of seriousness and all these adventures just didn't click for me, I don't know if I enjoyed this game as much as the other ones in the series...let's see if the ending will change that.

Just finished , the final boss fight was the best of the entire franchise.
The epilogue chapter was perfect , they nailed it.

Overall this is perhaps the best campaign on the franchise overall only doing better than 2 by a small margin.

The amount of dialogue , the set pieces , the size of each level , it was really magnificent

"was it all worth it ?" It was worth it

Ps : i don't know why but the shooting seems very weird to me. i'm fine in MP , but i can't aime like i wish i could in SP. i've tonned down aim assist from 10 to 3 and it's better but still annoying

Keihart

I like the irony. :D

I hope that you are enjoying yourself with all the modern AAA games express their higher gameplay moments as mashes of the Action button.

Here is the prophecy and have some humor lol:

[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6McMaGsn1Yc[/link]

That is the evolution of modern gameplay mechanics and what AAA game designers give us for full price.

If you don’t mash enough the action button you get a failed state, the door stays closed and you don’t progress with the game.

That’s the definition of a QTE

Wasn't QTE "invented" and defined as an element by Yu Suzuki in Shenmue and stands for quick time event.

I hate when QTEs are not employed well like in Resident Evil, but i kinda enjoy them when well executed like in Shenmue or Heavy Rain or whatnot. The mechanic it is gameplay and it is meant to give you interaction when the basic mechanics of the game don't allow you to. Regardless of whatever wikipedia says.

Also crushing is not THAT hard compared to previous games, you have more tools and enemies are more fragile, is just the get gud mode, you cant still kill enemies in all the ways you could before but just have to be more precise about it.

It's like saying that Vanquish is bad in God Hard mode, ha! just git gud basically

In hard and crushing, the moment he gets flying on the rope he gets seen and he is prety much dead.

The mechanic is broken especially in crushing.

False - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFBi_Ddkg8

Stealth mechanic is very basic or nonexistent and it is broken on harder difficulties. Try to do the things that we are seeing in various videos on crushing difficulty, especially the aerial rope kills and you will see the problems of the mechanic. Aerial roping usually means instant kill for you in crushing.

In U4 the enemies in crushing became superhuman,

You are false on all counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKuv32zRxk

Keihart

Guys, what's the jump like from hard to crushing? Any pointers for someone playing the game on crushing for the first time?

Thin the herd with stealth when possible and learn to use blind fire and run and gun as good as you can, you can kill even the more armored enemies with one full clip from any long gun from blind fire, easier with something that shoots fast tho. Grenades not only kill but also stun enemies, use them to reposition yourself too.

That's all i got as general tips.

HardRojo

Just finished the game some moments ago. What a ride! The gameplay evolved in many ways and you can tell they learned a lot from The Last of Us. The gunplay, the hand-to-hand combat, the feel of the open world, and not to mention the GRAPHICS! Holy shit the graphics man! How the hell was ND able to cook those on a PS4? What the hell will they do with Neo!? Blow our fucking minds!? Goddamn!

The intro was amazing,
Sam getting shot and spitting blood from his mouth had me in tears for a while
, and I didn't expect that epilogue, that was a great way to close Nathan's story. I'm overall very satisfied with the game, it was a great experience and I gotta say that, even though I was one of those who didn't particularly like the idea of a new TLoU game, now I'm a believer and I would love to see a sequel, I'm pretty sure ND will be able to craft another masterpiece.

One minor complaint: I didn't like the delay in the HUD between picking a new weapon and it showing its ammo on the HUD. I want to know how much ammo it has left as soon as I pick it up, so I know whether to switch weapons or keep it. It slowed me down a bit and previous UC games handled it instantly.

slider

On a whim I nabbed the special edition(?) off the store. Obviously the most expensive way to do it but it was on a whim.

Wife's travelling overseas with work, my beautiful boy's sleeping upstairs so, despite never having the time to game (or, heck, even relax!) I'm gonna order some food and play the shit out of this in a short while. Excited.

Keihart

Man, the whole of Scotland is so good. I think this is kind of the tone/ pacing they were aiming for in a nutshell, and succeeding at it too.

Chapter 8 has a solid mix of traversal and open ended shootouts, then Chapter 9 has the cave exploration building up to the awesome stretch of encounters as you escape.

The second playthrough is helping me appreciate the good aspects of the game a bit more. Overall it feels more episodic, where the previous games had a very constant and continuous pace to them. Like, reaching Madagascar feels like a natural resting point, and the same with chapter 12 and then 16.

The game really is its own beast. I don't think there's another TPS out there like it. Maybe MGS3 is the closest I can think of (but that could just be the jungle environment).

I agree with those saying the slow bits can be zipped through on repeat playthroughs improving the pacing. I think over time it will be looked at as a game that went for quality over quantity, despite being the longest in the series, even if there's some fat that could be trimmed here and there.

YES! MGS3 or even 2, thats the peace they were going for too i think, linear but with some backtracking to make use of large enviroments.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Finally finished the campaign. Really amazing game. Other than the stealth being a bit too cut and dry, and the last few chapters being a devoid of one last enemy group encounter I was expecting, it does everything else terrifically. The level and environment design is the best part to me. Especially once you hit Chapter 13, it all becomes a very contiguous path forward, which must have taken a great deal of effort to design. The location and its state decay and disrepair also seems a lot more realistic than Uncharted 2 & 3. They are of course taking a lot of logical leaps with historical fiction, but the gradual procession from "real world" inspired locations to the fictional ones is exceptionally smooth.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the co-op mode once it is released. The scope of the objective specific missions should be very impressive.

Commented on this before, but I don't think some people are giving the game enough credit for its implementation of stealth. What it might lack with things like throwing bricks or bottles to distract enemies, or hide bodies anywhere etc, it makes up for with a crazy amount of mobility and traversal options that facilitate stealth, as well as other mechanics like the ropeswing, grass, cover system, contextual stealth attacks, arena design etc. This video illustrates that perfectly. There's no way you could do some of these things in games like Last of Us or MGSV, not with this same degree of fluidity and dynamism, so what it loses in certain features it makes up for in others. ND was clearly aiming for a different type of combat flow with this game.

You can actually get through many of the major gunfights in the game without being spotted or even attacking or killing a single enemy. Scotland outside the cathedral, the jungle encounters, two of the major Libertalia encounters etc. You can completely stealth through all of these.

I completely agree.

So, can you boot up the ship graveyard from Chapter 20-ish on Crushing and try that?

I'll try it when I'm on next.

Stealthing that proves nothing. You've proven nothing.

What? lol

I would suggest you go back and read Raysod's rediculous assertion.

Gsnap

If you're able to maintain stealth, then obviously you won't see what it is that makes crushing so difficult. But in order to maintain stealth (and still do cool stuff) you need to have the entire encounter memorized, as Equanimity clearly has. Otherwise you have to stealth the boring way. And since they don't give you enough tools to make the boring way interesting, it's pretty easy for people to find the stealth unenjoyable because they aren't going to take their time to memorize everything.

On a first playthrough, stealth is pretty uninteresting. And for Uncharted games, the first playthrough is the most important one for a lot of people.

But like I've said before, I wish this game had a challenge mode with enemy arenas. Then you really could dig into the systems and really enjoy them. As it is, I'm not inclined to select chapters and sit through certain parts just to get to another part.

Raysod

Banned
Wasn't QTE "invented" and defined as an element by Yu Suzuki in Shenmue and stands for quick time event.

I hate when QTEs are not employed well like in Resident Evil, but i kinda enjoy them when well executed like in Shenmue or Heavy Rain or whatnot. The mechanic it is gameplay and it is meant to give you interaction when the basic mechanics of the game don't allow you to. Regardless of whatever wikipedia says.

Also crushing is not THAT hard compared to previous games, you have more tools and enemies are more fragile, is just the get gud mode, you cant still kill enemies in all the ways you could before but just have to be more precise about it.

It's like saying that Vanquish is bad in God Hard mode, ha! just git gud basically

I never wrote that U4 was a bad game; I wrote that the overuse of the same mechanics and the constant mashing of the Action button became tiresome for me.

I have 40+ hours in the campaign of the game and I am tired of doing the same things again and again.

I agree that crushing is not very hard, but that has to do more that we don’t have lots of arena areas and in what arenas we get the respawn number of enemies is low compared with what the previews uncharted games had.

They even allow cheating as a design choice to be enabled to get the trophies in the game, that’s the first time a game does that!

Vanquish as a third person action shooter is far more advanced than U4 in its core game mechanics.

My biggest disappointment is that I expected evolution from ND.

Imagine a scenario in U4 where you had the stealth system of LOU and you had a chapter with overwhelming supernatural forces that your weapons could do no damage and that you had to use stealth, sound and the environment to progress.

Jennipeg

I never wrote that U4 was a bad game; I wrote that the overuse of the same mechanics and the constant mashing of the Action button became tiresome for me.

I have 40+ hours in the campaign of the game and I am tired of doing the same things again and again.

I agree that crushing is not very hard, but that has to do more that we don’t have lots of arena areas and in what arenas we get the respawn number of enemies is low compared with what the previews uncharted games had.

They even allow cheating as a design choice to be enabled to get the trophies in the game, that’s the first time a game does that!

Vanquish as a third person action shooter is far more advanced than U4 in its core game mechanics.

My biggest disappointment is that I expected evolution from ND.

Imagine a scenario in U4 where you had the stealth system of LOU and you had a chapter with overwhelming supernatural forces that your weapons could do no damage and that you had to use stealth, sound and the environment to progress.

I don't know how much evolution that would be, they would just be putting mechanics from TLOU into the Uncharted franchise, that wouldn't move the genre forward either. Because they did it with TLOU and Left Behind. If you are looking for evolution I wouldn't expect it in the swan song of a beloved franchise. That's what TLOU was for, they tried out new things. That's why I hope their new game is a new ip.

cackhyena

I don't know how much evolution that would be, they would just be putting mechanics from TLOU into the Uncharted franchise, that wouldn't move the genre forward either. Because they did it with TLOU and Left Behind. If you are looking for evolution I wouldn't expect it in the swan song of a beloved franchise. That's what TLOU was for, they tried out new things. That's why I hope their new game is a new ip.
Yep.

I completely agree.

I'll try it when I'm on next.

What? lol

I would suggest you go back and read Raysod's rediculous assertion.

This has nothing to do with Raysod. You don't make a point about the viability of the rope-swing on Crushing by playing stealthily.

The point was that you're pretty much dead the moment you get on the rope on Crushing during an actual firefight. The burden of proof then lies on you to disprove that, and your response did not provide an actual rebuttal.

Anbec7

Liked so much the conclusion but now I feel empty.
There where some rough spots but other than that is better than 2.
Can´t wait for the story DLC!

Raysod

Banned

Obviously I am talking about mobility in the arena area when you are spotted by the enemies. If the stealth mechanic for you in U4 works well then I am happy for you because you enjoyed the game more than me.

They could use parts of the LOU stealth mechanics and make the combat of U4 a lot more interesting/advanced.

In the Italy chapter you cannot even shoot the lights out…

Some ideas that could enhance the stealth mechanics gameplay would be:

Throwing rocks, bottles, whistle, put fire in the grass (especially in desert environments), construct and use basic traps, explosive traps, sleeping darts, weapons with silencers etch

This is evolution and going forward and is what I expect from a next gen game.

I don’t care about beautiful graphics, the 3rd or 4rth time that you will play the game to get the trophies you don’t care about graphics, but you will care about rich and fun game mechanics.

Imagine a chapter where you had to deal with supernatural enemies and your weapons have no effect against this type of enemy. All you had was your environment, the sound, the lightning and you had to use all of it to survive and progress.

And imagine a mix of this scenario where mercenaries had to battle the supernatural and you as a player had to use your entire arsenal (real weapons or stealth) to progress.

We got a very simple stealth mechanic in U4 if we compare it with what ND achieved with LOU.

U4 is a good game, but in my eyes it is a missed opportunity for ND to create something unforgettable.

Most of my friends left U4 and play Doom, if this an indication for the longevity of the game.

Yeah and you can tell that
Nate felt guilty about it. Man, the parts with Elena is some of my favorite moments in the game. I love how after every few obstacles they talk more about what happened and during the chapters it feels like one long apology from Drake to Elena

Top Bottom