• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

You don't make a point about the viability of the rope-swing on Crushing by playing stealthily.

Why not?

The point was that you're pretty much dead the moment you get on the rope on Crushing during an actual firefight. The burden of proof then lies on you to disprove that, and your response did not provide an actual rebuttal.

That is not what he said. Again, you need to read his comments thorougly.

In hard and crushing, the moment he gets flying on the rope he gets seen and he is prety much dead.

Stealth mechanic is very basic or nonexistent and it is broken on harder difficulties. Try to do the things that we are seeing in various videos on crushing difficulty, especially the aerial rope kills and you will see the problems of the mechanic. Aerial roping usually means instant kill for you in crushing.

Raysod

Banned
I don't know how much evolution that would be, they would just be putting mechanics from TLOU into the Uncharted franchise, that wouldn't move the genre forward either. Because they did it with TLOU and Left Behind. If you are looking for evolution I wouldn't expect it in the swan song of a beloved franchise. That's what TLOU was for, they tried out new things. That's why I hope their new game is a new ip.

I agree with what you wrote.

That’s why I got a little disappointed.

Since I heard that U4 will have stealth, my mind instantly went on how ND could insert LOU mechanics into Drakes vertical environments, combined with the storytelling and camera design.

I believed that ND could bring the two worlds together (action and stealth) and give us something we haven’t see in an action game.

Maybe the development problems the team had didn’t allow them to take some risks and they had to cut back on their scope, especially after the delays.

You are right when you suggest that a new IP from ND could be where they could experiment more with ideas like that.

cackhyena

I have zero interest in the game changing up the enemy type to the point where I have to use stealth to get by. This series isn't about that. The addition of stealth is more about culling the herd, seems to me. It was never meant as an alternative to the action. It doesn't need to, or shouldn't try to be both Uncharted and TLoU here. Supernatural shit suuuuucks in this series anyway.

And this is coming from someone who's got a boner you can see from space for stealth. It's my jam. The complexities of a Splinter cell aren't needed here to me, tho.

True, using the rope when nobody can see you doesn't automatically alert enemies. Truthfact, as demonstrated.

Using the rope when within enemy line of sight can and often does get you torn up though. As does most everything else.

Maybe Naught Dog devs just prefer their action in black and white.

Jennipeg

I agree with what you wrote.

That’s why I got a little disappointed.

Since I heard that U4 will have stealth, my mind instantly went on how ND could insert LOU mechanics into Drakes vertical environments, combined with the storytelling and camera design.

I believed that ND could bring the two worlds together (action and stealth) and give us something we haven’t see in an action game.

Maybe the development problems the team had didn’t allow them to take some risks and they had to cut back on their scope, especially after the delays.

You are right when you suggest that a new IP from ND could be where they could experiment more with ideas like that.

I know what you mean, I think some of your suggestions about stealth would have been great additions. But ND are in an interesting position where they have this new ip with TLOU and an established franchise with Uncharted, how do they balance the 2, and implement what they have learnt from LOU without totally changing the established Uncharted formula.

From reading peoples opinions, the changes they have made haven't pleased some people. It's tricky to mess around with a formula like that. I'm kind of glad they won't have the problem any more since Uncharted is done. For me they did a great job of putting a few LOU influences in there without totally changing Uncharted.

I can't wait to see what they do next, I half hope it isn't TLOU 2, i'd like to see something new.

Raysod

Banned
Why not?

That is not what he said. Again, you need to read his comments thorougly.

From the moment you get spotted on crushing difficulty, there is no stealth and no rope hanging.

You are instantly dead if you go for the rope and you cannot go hiding again.
That is what I mean.

The gameplay mechanic of the rope and the mobility you have to the arena in lesser difficulty settings are gone and you are forced to be behind a cover all the time (and deal with a rain of grenades).

A well designed game mechanic should work well in all difficulty levels; this is what I am saying.

This observation does not imply that the game is bad as a whole; it is something I found in my crushing run and shared here.

cackhyena

From the moment you get spotted on crushing difficulty, there is no stealth and no rope hanging.

That is what I mean.

The gameplay mechanic of the rope and the mobility you have to the arena in lesser difficulty settings are gone and you are forced to be behind a cover all the time (and deal with a rain of grenades).

A well designed game mechanic should work well in all difficulty levels; this is what I am saying.

This observation does not imply that the game is bad as a whole; it is something I found in my crushing run and shared here.
Can you not re enter stealth once caught in Crushing?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Guys, if I restart a chapter and overwrite my game file, will it reset my campaign stats?

I would like to know this as well.

Also, if you start a new game, do the treasures and the like carry over, or do I have to find all of them again, along with the missed ones first play-through?

Guys, what's the jump like from hard to crushing? Any pointers for someone playing the game on crushing for the first time?

As someone who's beat Crushing in the previous three, it's a big jump. Stealth was challenging on Hard but most of the time it's a no-go on Crushing.

Also, if you start a new game, does the treasures and the like carry over, or do I have to find all of them again, along with the missed ones first play-through?

When you make a new game it asks if you want them to carry over.

nib95

Banned

That is what I mean.

None of this is true. Once you get spotted in Crushing you can get back in to hiding and back in to stealth again. I've done it myself many times. You just have to be mindful of your surroundings to note where the enemies are, and swiftly use the arena and your mobility options to get out of sight and stay out of sight. The best way is usually to shimmy along cliff and platform edges, ridges etc. You can use the ropeswing to speedily move across to another area without being gunned down, but only if it's not in the direct line of fire of multiple enemies, and only if you can pull off the move in a single swing instead of needing to swing back and forth in the same spot, in front of so many enemies.

Obviously if you're spotted you can't jump on a rope and expect to automatically go back in to stealth whilst swinging in the air in front of all the enemies. That would be idiotic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When you make a new game it asks if you want them to carry over.

Thank you sir. Cel-shaded play-through here I come!

You can freely overwrite progress and not lose your current chapter progress.

You can carry over statistics and treasures (by choice) but all of the treasures still appear in U4 whereas they did not in past games. So in one way, you have the benefit of being able to follow a guide to the letter and not have to keep track of which ones you have.

I was surprised even the cairns carried over. I hate that word. Ca-irns.

Oh, that is nice! Thanks!

SDR-UK

Also, if you start a new game, does the treasures and the like carry over, or do I have to find all of them again, along with the missed ones first play-through?

You can freely overwrite progress and not lose your current chapter progress.

You can carry over statistics and treasures (by choice) but all of the treasures still appear in U4 whereas they did not in past games. So in one way, you have the benefit of being able to follow a guide to the letter and not have to keep track of which ones you have.

Finished the game. Loved it, easily the best entry in the series for me because no individual section ever felt like it overstayed its welcome.

Most fun:
Driving off cliffs!
Seeing if I could get through areas with just stealth!
The story was a joy and didn't end the way I expected!

Sad to see the series end, but it ends on a high note in my book.

Yes I loved that final boss fight. It was more well done than I was expecting.

Raysod

Banned
I know what you mean, I think some of your suggestions about stealth would have been great additions. But ND are in an interesting position where they have this new ip with TLOU and an established franchise with Uncharted, how do they balance the 2, and implement what they have learnt from LOU without totally changing the established Uncharted formula.

From reading peoples opinions, the changes they have made haven't pleased some people. It's tricky to mess around with a formula like that. I'm kind of glad they won't have the problem any more since Uncharted is done. For me they did a great job of putting a few LOU influences in there without totally changing Uncharted.

I can't wait to see what they do next, I half hope it isn't TLOU 2, i'd like to see something new.

I again agree.

The problem I see is that the lead talent that created the Uncharted formula is gone from the studio and I hope that Druckmann and Straley together with the remaining great designers in ND can pull something spectacular off that will redefine the action genre.

And I really hope that Sony will allow them to go somewhere new and not push for a LoU 2.

My biggest fear is that Sony will push them to do a VR game or that VR will be total failure and in the lack of financial resources Sony downsizes the studio.

We are living interesting times in world economy.

I think this is my favorite Uncharted to play. But, I'm on Chapter
and I think a lot of the story, environment, and set pieces have been lacking compared to previous games. The open environments, stealth, swinging from ropes, and melee make this combat a lot more fun.

Anyway, I have to take a break, but I would like to finish it tonight. I assume I have maybe 2 hours left? Probably less?

Gorillaz

Sony ain't gonna fuck up the ND relationship and force them to do VR or anything else like that. At least I feel like they won't. Even during their whole 3D/Move year (s) They are pretty much let the studio work on UC and TLOU without any of the extra shit getting in the way. Hell watch the UC3 behind the scenes they mentioned Sony letting them set up a better situation with the studio recordings after 2.

They got the juice clout to do their own thing. You get type of flexibility when your at the top of the food chain.

Gaming isn't the only industry to do it like that either

eso76

Sam has no hesitation and pulls the trigger in the part where he held Nadine, before Nathan interrupts her killing by pushing his hand.

I don't think that's what happened.
The gun fired when
Nate pulled it out of Sam's hands, or possibly it was Nate who shot in the air to unload
Anyway I think this game is being overanalyzed. Maybe it's U4's fault for taking itself a bit too seriously at times, idk.

Off topic, but while I would prefer these games to stay away from VR, I would love it if ND could somehow give us the chance to explore key areas of the game through PSVR. Just a "walking simulator" tech demo of sorts. Sense of scale and height would be nuts in first person VR. Can't begin to imagine what it would be like to be inside the clock tower, or
Tew's dining room
for example. This needs to happen.

Raysod

Banned
None of this is true. Once you get spotted in Crushing you can get back in to hiding and back in to stealth again. I've done it myself many times. You just have to be mindful of your surroundings to note where the enemies are, and swiftly use the arena and your mobility options to get out of sight and stay out of sight. The best way is usually to shimmy along cliff and platform edges, ridges etc. You can use the ropeswing to speedily move across to another area without being gunned down, but only if it's not in the direct line of fire of multiple enemies, and only if you can pull off the move in a single swing instead of needing to swing back and forth in the same spot, in front of so many enemies.

Obviously if you're spotted you can't jump on a rope and expect to automatically go back in to stealth whilst swinging in the air in front of all the enemies. That would be idiotic.

If you mean that you have to travel for 5 minutes on cliffs, or run away for miles until the AI resets itself you are probably right.

It’s faster to restart the checkpoint though. It saves you lots of time.

And why the AI should reset if you killed one of their own or if they spot you?

Shouldn't they follow you and flash you out like the AI in Opposing Forces or HL2;

Shouldn't a smart AI call for reinforces or even helicopters and never stepped down?

Shouldn't there be dogs that can sniff you out?

They could do hundreds of things to enhance the battle experience combined with stealth.

Anyway my point is that the rope mechanic and the mobility are lost because the enemies get superhuman aiming and they shoot you in the air from miles away.

The mobility in the arena and the air kills is the most fun part in the new Uncharted combat and should work even in the hardest difficulty…

On crushing in every battle I have two main options.

Either avoid the battle altogether (where I can use the environment to bypass the area) or fight pinned by the enemies behind cover.

I explained in my other posts how stealth could be used in U4 combat to give as a better experience.

Still the fight in the Shipwrecks is one of the best battles in the series...

qUVswaE.gif

Bollocks

Just finished it, ok I'm gonna say it, game was just ok.
Gunplay was bad, I dreaded every single encounter.
It was just not fun, every cover gets shot to pieces, artificial ammo limit lets you only take down max 4 guys before rolling around like a maniac to pickup a new weapon.
If you don't fall off a cliff or get stuck to the environment.
Don't get me started on the
stealth
sections, useless unsatisfying addition.

They should have went full walking simulator and it would still be a great expierence as they take you to some amazing places and the banter while walking through the environment is great.
Graphics, settings are top notch.

Story is ok, not bad not good, it serves its purpose. Although I could never like Sam, he looks like a douche and I couldn't care less about him.
I wouldn't have shed a single tear for Sam, if it came down to it, when Elena played dead, that got me more worked up for a moment.

Props for the ending though.

To sum it up I expected a great game but got a good game instead.
Gunplay is bad for the reasons mentioned above, would have loved some more gamey things like progressions/upgrades whatever, so that there is some meat to it.
They showed with TloU that they know how to make a story heavy game while still putting the game into videogame.

Also when they showed the game at E3 last year, they teased a dialog select screen, crowed went crazy but little did we know that this was only a 1 time thing.
So another half baked addition.

For all the shit that went down with Amy, I don't know if we got a better story out of it or game.

-griffy-

Banned
If you mean that you have to travel for 5 minutes on cliffs, or run away for miles until the AI resets itself you are probably right.

It’s faster to restart the checkpoint though. It saves you lots of time.

And why the AI should reset if you killed one of their own or if they spot you?
No, it means once you get spotted you break line of sight with the enemies using your environment in any way you can, whether that's by running around a building or rock, jumping underwater, entering long grass, swinging around a corner, climbing out of sight, etc. It takes about 15 seconds to re-enter stealth.

When the enemy loses sight of you, they'll search where they last saw you. If you stay out of sight long enough, they'll completely lose you and you'll re-enter stealth, signaled by the music calming down, the enemies vocalizing "I lost him!", and Nate entering his stealthy set of animations again. The enemies will stay in an alerted phase and be doing more aggressive patrols, but you can stealth kill enemies until you are spotted again.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I guess what I'm trying to understand is who is being self indulgent here. The developers or Nate?
Nate.

Agree.
The ending is the main thing that ruins the payoff. You think there is risk and that what is happening actually matters but no. Nate gets away clean. In no world should Nathan Drake be rich, living on a beach happy and healthy after everything he's done. No one should've left that boat alive. I honestly couldn't believe the ending as I was seeing it. There is such a thing as too perfect. Although I do have to say it did fit the general UC tone. The rest of the game on the whole didn't. But the ending did, it's as if the ending came from a different draft.
Exactly, it's way TOO perfect as an ending. And yes the tone is inconsistent because they set out with a realistic tone then switch back and forth between that and typical UC.

My crushing combat gameplay (swing included):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eodBDaA-JQA&t=0m58s

Obviously I am talking about mobility in the arena area when you are spotted by the enemies.

You were not specific in your initial comment.

Most of my friends left U4 and play Doom, if this an indication for the longevity of the game.

It's not.

That is what I mean.

The gameplay mechanic of the rope and the mobility you have to the arena in lesser difficulty settings are gone and you are forced to be behind a cover all the time

I'm sorry to repeat my self, but that is also false.

It does work but with a few caveats.

smh

Keihart

Ok guys, this is ship graveyard in crushing with rope kills , steel fists, blind fire and all that. So yeah is super viable and even the best way to do it, but is not easy becase it is the hardest mode, i mean , what do you expect? it is CRUSHING.

https://youtu.be/sZcVhWXLT5Y

I really hope that ND adds some kind of arcade mode with all the encounters in succesion with points or something, it needs it, the gameplay is too good.

nib95

Banned

Holy shit dude. Boss.

Ok guys, this is ship graveyard in crushing with rope kills , steel fists, blind fire and all that. So yeah is super viable and even the best way to do it, but is not easy becase it is the hardest mode, i mean , what do you expect? it is CRUSHING.

I really hope that ND adds some kind of arcade mode with all the encounters in succesion with points or something, it needs it, the gameplay is too good.

Nice. That's by far the hardest encounter in the whole game too, at least on crushing.

-griffy-

Banned
These moments you are capturing are like as good as that initial multiplayer trailer they put out, where the camera was flying around between all the characters who are doing awesome things back to back, only you are doing it for real without setting it up, using the gameplay camera, and it looks just as cool. Really impressive.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm kind of surprised people are having as much trouble with Crushing as they are. The only thing I hate are sniper enemies and the fact they are all crack shots. Most enemies even the brutes go down in what feels like a couple shots and combine that with instant kill moves like the rope drop and Drakes overall ability to move around the environment means you can stay well ahead of the enemies. The fact you almost always have a companion means its even easier getting through tough situations.

Obviously there are different skills levels for people coming into the game and all that but this feels like the easiest UC of them all. I still dread some of the arena fights in 2 and 3 on Crushing, stupid stupid hard.

Keihart

Animation in this game is ridicously good, they way they blend and the amount of contextual variations is amazing. You can predict the melee atacks based on you direction and momentum even.

When you have a lot of momentum and the enemy is stunned you are almos garanteed to go for the drop kick for example. If you are out of bullets nate will try to steal enemys weapon. I just love really.
I miss the "hold this" and "grenade kick" from the third one tho.

holy shit

Nice run!

KRaZyAmmo

I'm kind of surprised people are having as much trouble with Crushing as they are. The only thing I hate are sniper enemies and the fact they are all crack shots. Most enemies even the brutes go down in what feels like a couple shots and combine that with instant kill moves like the rope drop and Drakes overall ability to move around the environment means you can stay well ahead of the enemies. The fact you almost always have a companion means its even easier getting through tough situations.

Obviously there are different skills levels for people coming into the game and all that but this feels like the easiest UC of them all. I still dread some of the arena fights in 2 and 3 on Crushing, stupid stupid hard.

I'm in crushing right now and I'm at the island jungle part. This is seriously one of the encounters that made me rage so far.

Just started playing this (had to finish Dark Souls 3 first). But the multiplayer is actually really good! Didn't see that one coming.

+ the game is unimaginably beautiful (sp). ND really outdid themselves.

Top Bottom