• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Commented on this before, but I don't think some people are giving the game enough credit for its implementation of stealth. What it might lack with things like throwing bricks or bottles to distract enemies, or hide bodies anywhere etc, it makes up for with a crazy amount of mobility and traversal options that facilitate stealth, as well as other mechanics like the ropeswing, grass, cover system, contextual stealth attacks, arena design etc. This video illustrates that perfectly. There's no way you could do some of these things in games like Last of Us or MGSV, not with this same degree of fluidity and dynamism, so what it loses in certain features it makes up for in others. ND was clearly aiming for a different type of combat flow with this game.

You can actually get through many of the major gunfights in the game without being spotted or even attacking or killing a single enemy. Scotland outside the cathedral, the jungle encounters, two of the major Libertalia encounters etc. You can completely stealth through all of these.
I know people get lost in the set pieces and graphics but in general this game has some of the most polished mechanics I've ever seen in a TPS.

Jennipeg

That's been my experience too. I'm finding the campaign to be surprisingly replayable, mainly because I'm going through at a far faster clip than I did on my first run. Traversal and combat both benefit hugely when played at speed.

I'm exactly the same, I'm finding everything flows even better the second time. Plus
knowing Sam isn't 'evil' for definite now makes the earlier scenes interesting to re watch. I was distracted by my own suspicions of him throughout my first play through.

Trophy Question....

To get the
speed run - finish the game in under 6 hours
trophy, does it need to be in one sitting? Can you save and still get the trophy? Also,
Can you use saving as a "cheat" to get the trophy? Meaning, save after each section to make sure you do it in as little time as possible?

Thanks for any answers!

The best thing about replaying the game is you have a decent grasp on the stealth mechanics and enemy AI, so the encounters are a lot more fun. Some of the encounters during my second playthrough reminded me of the PSX demo.

Gintamen

generic is the right word I think to describe a lot of design choises in Uncharted 4.

Really can you tell me how U4 advanced the third person action adventure genre gameplay wise?

Its biggest advances in game mechanics is the borrowing from tomb raider of the grappling hook, the rope and the nail to grap on in middle of platform jumps.

I expected more from ND, i am a fan of their work since crash bandicoot, and i just write why i felt a bit let down from U4.

The constant praising of this kind of game design will bring an even simpler U5 in the future.
Don't worry, you aren't the only one with that opinion.

Gorillaz

U4 is designed as a game to be appealing to the masses. Its more a movie than an action shooter.

TLOU is a different beast in many areas. (story, game mechanics, enemy AI, crafting system ecth).

Going from TLOU into U4 is a downgrade of what ND achieved in TLOU in many areas.

I don't want TLOU2 to be a quick time event festival/with walking simulator chapters with a generic story on top, in order to make better sales.
Have you played uncharted before? Uncharted 4 is the most reserved game in the series. 2 and 3 had more action then this.

Its been stated countless times in this thread that the influence of TLOU was all up in this shit. Its clear as day in the pacing.

JBwB

Trophy Question....

To get the
trophy, does it need to be in one sitting? Can you save and still get the trophy? Also,
Can you use saving as a "cheat" to get the trophy? Meaning, save after each section to make sure you do it in as little time as possible?

Thanks for any answers!

You can do the speed run like any other playthrough, meaning you can save whenever you want and come back to it later. Just remember to constantly check your timer in the statistics menu.

Liamc723

Trophy Question....

To get the

Thanks for any answers!

Why not just use the exploit and get it in like 10 minutes?

RDreamer

The best thing about replaying the game is you have a decent grasp on the stealth mechanics and enemy AI, so the encounters are a lot more fun. Some of the encounters during my second playthrough reminded me of the PSX demo.

Yeah in my second playthrough I'm fucking around a ton. Even on crushing it seems they reward you quite a bit for moving around and even hip firing/run and gun mixed with some stealth.

madmackem

Just finished it what a ride, loved every minute of it. I don't get the it dragged on remarks I've heard from some in the press, I was nearing the end thinking I wonder when this dragging on a bit comes and it never did. I don't think it will be beat this gen in the visual department, it's just simply unbelievable that my £300 console can output this game I'm stunned I never stopped being impressed right till the end. What a send of for Nate and the gang.

Raysod

Banned
I see that a lot of people disagree with what I say. That’s ok, I love a good argument and I will try to explain my thoughts a little better.

Let me write again that I played and got the platinum in all Uncharted games and I am on the path to do the same with U4.

When I write about generic game design choices in Uncharted 4, I mean that the designers of the game did not make any advancement in the core gameplay mechanics of the game.

Sorry for believing that studios with the great talent and the (almost unlimited) financial resources of ND can (and must) advance the genre they are working on.

Uncharted 4 main issues for me are:

It is infested of quick time events; everything is a QTE in Uncharted, even the final boss battle. We criticize other games for the use of QTE as a game mechanic (for example RE6, which has a great combat system), but it is praised on U4.

It is overusing of the same game mechanic scenarios in all of the maps. Sliding, sliding with jump on the end, push the AI up to push down a ladder or a box or a rope to climb on, throw the rope/grappling hook to advance the progress in the level, push box to location to progress. This happens hundreds of times during gameplay and for me the repetition of the same scenarios got tiring.

Bad AI design. I played the game only on hard and crushing difficulties and the AI is unintelligent. Enemies will take cover behind explosives; they will throw hundreds of grenades on you; they will shoot you from hundreds of meters away even if you moved in another area on the map and they don’t see you anymore, etch. Compare that with the AI of TLOU.

Stealth mechanic is very basic or nonexistent and it is broken on harder difficulties. Try to do the things that we are seeing in various videos on crushing difficulty, especially the aerial rope kills and you will see the problems of the mechanic. Aerial roping usually means instant kill for you in crushing.

No new enemies. You fight the same enemies constantly and they even cut
the supernatural enemies
that previews uncharted games had.

Whole chapters with minimum interactivity, designed as story progression chapters, with the aim to introduce Sam and make you develop feelings for him. How can I develop feelings on a character that from the get go (the tutorial level)
has me performing near death jumps and does not care on the danger he is exposing me as a child. He even has me broke into a house and the end accused of murder and condemned me on a life on the run. Why should I care for a brother like that
?

Underuse of already established characters of the franchise that I already care for. For example Sally.

A Nathan Drake character, which is a criminal (watch Nathan in the Eye of Indra), with his main characteristics to be stealing, killing, lying having no sense of loyalty. And in U4 he is
washing the dishes at home and he places bets who will wash the car and he has a mortgage
. Really does anyone imagine Indiana Jones to be at home and to wash dishes?

The bad guy Raphael Adler, how bad is he really?
When he needs the artifact he goes to the auction to buy it off. When he needs to find the treasure in Scotland he uses his fortune to buy the land and do the excavations. He pays Nathan for his help and he even constantly helps Sam and gets him out of jail and finances him. And in the end the Drake brothers take advantage of him, betray his trust and finally kill him. This does not compute.

Elena does not give a shit for the thousands of kills that her husband has done the last years, she doesn’t care about police or rival criminals, and actively tells him to
go and do a job without a legal permit
in the start of the game.

The story and character development is a mess and extremely predictable.

And then you have chapters in the game as the Clock Tower, a true evolution of what ND can do with platforming, the Libertalia (amazing art design) chapters, the Shipwreck battle and the whole pirate’s backstory and its development through the use of environmental storytelling and items (letters, treasures, journal notes, walls with maps etch).

I just expected more Clock Tower levels and more Libertalia level design from ND, with a story that shows how the constant lying, hiding from authority or other criminals/enemies, the stress and the killing affects Nathan as a person and how it affects his relationship with the people he cares about.

Anyway I had a good time with the game at some parts, especially the second part of the game, I will get the platinum trophy, but I don’t see myself replaying the game again in the future. Obviously I will play the single player DLC and that will be the end for me.

I just don’t let an amazing graphics to blind me to the core gameplay mechanics a game must have to be fan.

And to finish off my thoughts.

I usually (always positively) criticize something that I have very near to my heart, because I think that they could make something better that could push the medium forward. Going the David Cage way of storytelling and scenario advancement after LoU is a bad design choice for ND and a let down for me.

The development issues of U4, the creative talent that left ND all these years, the delays, the change in the production team and the scraping of one year of work shows in the final product and I hope that in the future the studio will choose the path of evolution and not repetition.

I dont understand people thinking Sully is under used. The thing about Sully is that he's really fuckin' old. So any time there's any chapter with a lot of traversal/big jumps/climbing(which is, ya know, most of him), he cant come along.

Not unless there's a staircase nearby.

-griffy-

Banned
The mechanic is broken especially in crushing.

People keep saying stuff like this. It's called crushing for a reason. It's not a tuned or balanced difficulty mode, it's meant to be obscenely difficult. Moderate/normal is the default, balanced difficulty.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So after careful consideration, I realized that UC4 has a soundtrack that really is just as great as UC2's.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Uncharted 4 main issues for me are:
It is infested of quick time events
It's just bullshit.

But then again you probably have 100 times the stamina to write twenty paragraphs about how hitting a button and an action taking place is all of a sudden a quick-time event instead of the commonly accepted definition of quick time event in video games.

And we just got an Uncharted game that was full of Sully. He's in 4 more than he is in 1 or 2 as well.

the big thing that you're rarely alone in UC4. Its one of its most obvious TLOU influences, there's always an NPC who's just as capable of traversal and combat as you, to talk with Nathan the whole game and not just in cutscenes. Thats gonna require somebody who can jump and climb and swing around in Scotland and Libertalia and not just chill in the car/plane all day, and that wasnt gonna be Sully realistically.

It is infested of quick time events; everything is a QTE in Uncharted, even the final boss battle. We criticize other games for the use of QTE as a game mechanic (for example RE6, which has a great combat system), but it is praised on U4.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what QTEs are.

the big thing that you're rarely alone in UC4. Its one of its most obvious TLOU influences, there's always an NPC who's just as capable of traversal and combat as you, to talk with Nathan the whole game and not just in cutscenes. Thats gonna require somebody who can jump and climb and swing around in Scotland and Libertalia and not just chill in the car/plane all day, and that wasnt gonna be Sully realistically.

Something funny I notices on my third playthrough.
Remember that moment in chapter 10 when Shoreline ambush you in that closed arena where the map of the twelve towers is? Well, to enter there you have to make a simple slide and pass through a narrow path. Sam goes first and then Nate but if you wait for Sully before passing through the wall he waits for you before sliding down and one you pass he is alreadh behind you, there's no animation of Sully for sliding.

Kinda unrelated but... stuff.

Quick question...

I am on my second playthrough and am going through the chapters in the chapter select to collect all the trophies.

If I complete all the trophy containing chapters on hard, and then go and complete the other chapters on hard, will I unlock the trophy? Or do I need to do one continuous playthrough on hard or crushing to get the trophies?

Gintamen

Something funny I notices on my third playthrough.
Remember that moment in chapter 10 when Shoreline ambush you in that closed arena where the map of the twelve towers is? Well, to enter there you have to make a simple slide and pass through a narrow path. Sam goes first and then Nate but if you wait for Sully before passing through the wall he waits for you before sliding down and one you pass he is alreadh behind you, there's no animation of Sully for sliding.

Kinda unrelated but... stuff.
NPCs happen to teleport quiet a lot when you look away or do something unexpected.

No reason to be so defensive. When so much of the game is platforming I would like some of it to be demanding, that's to much to expect?

m4st4

I think you have a misunderstanding of what QTEs are.

Indeed.

There's one QTE in U4 and instead of just pushing buttons they made it quite engaging and relentless (reminds me of how Shenmue uses QTE). Not to mention visually striking. Now, compare it with Halo 4 finale. Or with Order 1886.

cackhyena

The bad guy Raphael Adler, how bad is he really?
When he needs the artifact he goes to the auction to buy it off. When he needs to find the treasure in Scotland he uses his fortune to buy the land and do the excavations. He pays Nathan for his help and he even constantly helps Sam and gets him out of jail and finances him. And in the end the Drake brothers take advantage of him, betray his trust and finally kill him. This does not compute.

I have plenty of issues with what you are talking about in this post, but this? Wha?

Dude point blank murders the guy in the prison because he wants a cut...Drake bros wouldn't do that. He gets Sam out so he can get to the treasure because he has no other choice. Are you trying to spin it like he's got good intentions somehow? He uses a fuckin mercenary outfit to see his goals aren't disturbed. He decides (yes, because Sam tried to ditch him) that Nate isn't needed and tries to off him. On top of everything, if he's really not that bad...why would he decide to have a swordfight with Nate instead of saying my bad and helping get Sam free so they could you know, get out alive? Dude is messed up and was from the beginning.

I feel like you are really stretching to find reasons to not like the game.

Raysod

Banned
It's just bullshit.

But then again you probably have 100 times the stamina to write twenty paragraphs about how hitting a button and an action taking place is all of a sudden a quick-time event instead of the commonly accepted definition of quick time event in video games.

Fights in prison, two button QTE

Push AI companion up ladders, boxes etch QTE

Open doors or lift doors, move objects all are done with QTE’s

Escape from near death in all set pieces, one button QYE

Final boss battle and the two battles with Nadine
, two button QTE

All of these gameplay moments consist half the gameplay time.

RDreamer

, two button QTE

You clearly have no idea what a QTE is.

I dont think you know what a QTE is

Like you're talking about pressing a button to open a door as a QTE...an event that requires no timing and doesnt' need to be quick...

Raysod

Banned
People keep saying stuff like this. It's called crushing for a reason. It's not a tuned or balanced difficulty mode, it's meant to be obscenely difficult. Moderate/normal is the default, balanced difficulty.

A core gameplay mechanic of any game should work well in all difficulties. And it should be more rewarding for the player that took the time to experience the game in higher difficulties.

In U4 the enemies in crushing became superhuman, especially in aiming...

dralla

, two button QTE

I don't think you understand what a quick time event is. Button prompts, they are not. None of the examples you mentioned have immediate fail states for missing a prompt.

m4st4

, two button QTE

You should make one of those 'EVERYTHING WRONG WITH XY IN 60 SECONDS' videos.

I don't think you understand what a quick time event is. Button prompts, they are not. None of the examples you mentioned have immediate fail states for missing a prompt.

This.

cackhyena

A core gameplay mechanic of any game should work well in all difficulties. And it should be more rewarding for the player that took the time to experience the game in higher difficulties.

I agree with the first part. The second, that's always been the thing with Crushing in Uncharted.

benny_a

And now we see if my second prophecy of the twenty paragraph explanation how the commonly accepted definition of QTE is wrong and how mapping any action on a button is a QTE.

Raysod

Banned
I dont think you know what a QTE is

Like you're talking about pressing a button to open a door as a QTE...an event that requires no timing and doesnt' need to be quick...

In U4 you are not pressing a button, you have to repeatedly press a button to lift a door open.

Even when an enemy grabs you, you have to push a button constantly to execute the evade animation.

Good. Enemies should become "better" in harder difficulties, not just take more damage.

Raysod

Banned
Definition of QTEs, because I will forgot what I know in game design mechanics:

QTEs generally involve the player following onscreen prompts to press buttons or manipulate joysticks within a limited amount of time. More recent games on consoles with motion-sensitive controls feature QTEs requiring specific movements from the player. The prompts are often displayed as a graphical image of the physical controller button; for example, games on the PlayStation consoles may show any of the four colored face buttons (X, square, circle, or triangle) as input for the event. Such actions are either atypical of the normal controls during the game, or in a different context from their assigned functions. Whilst most prompts simply require the player to push the appropriate button in time, some may require different types of actions, such as repeatedly pressing a button a certain number of times within the time limit, or hitting the button with precise timing.

[link]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_time_event[/link]

dralla

In U4 you are not pressing a button, you have to repeatedly press a button to lift a door open.

Even when an enemy grabs you, you have to push a button constantly to execute the evade animation.

You can turn those off in the Options under Accessibility. You'll hold down triangle instead of mashing it.

that's...still not a QTE

now, you're free to not like these moments(and you're also free not to go the option menu and change the mashing triangle to "holding triangle" instead), but they're arent QTEs...At that point, you might as well say anytime a button prompt comes on screen with the option to do an action is a QTE

benny_a

Nice for you to post the definition after posting a list where most of the entries don't fall under that definition.

Are you some AI that didn't get the self-aware module loaded?

, two button QTE

It's really weird that you have to lie and mischaracterize a game you don't like to back up your stance.

Those aren't QTEs. The things you list don't make up 'half the gameplay time.' That's not just false, it's not even in the vicinity of being true.

Jennipeg

NPCs happen to teleport quiet a lot when you look away or do something unexpected.

No reason to be so defensive. When so much of the game is platforming I would like some of it to be demanding, that's to much to expect?

I think they could have easily had more timing based platforming, like
the clocktower
and more areas with all of the climbing mechanics combined, as we see towards the end. But I really have no problem with what we got, i'm not expecting Guacamelee or anything. I found it enjoyable if not particularly difficult.

Top Bottom