• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I didn't think this was worth a new thread, so I though I'd share this video I made of gameplay (E3 2015 extended demo sequence) with the slow motion cheat enabled sped up to 2x, in effect showing the game 'running' at 60 FPS here.

Audio is a bit weird and the compression is pretty bad (thanks YouTube), but I thought it was interesting to look at.

Nice idea. I don't know how Naughty Dog could've possibly ran this at 60 fps unless they were planning on having users tape two PS4s together, because that looks insane (minus the compression RIP).

hesido

Just finished, great game, 8/10.

The game is so movie-like that in the
epilogue, Nathan and Elena looks like they had a bad old-age make-up..

Too much walking. That walking simulator label isn't far fetched. Fell to my death twice in one of those sections because I fell asleep (granted, it was late at night and I was pushing myself but this is the first time ever it happens to me while playing a game.)

Also, too much unnecessary crate move puzzles. Unnecessary traversal problems omitting the fact that you have a hook. These ruin the pacing of the game. UC2 is still the better game.

Just finished. The realization that this is my last adventure with these characters I love so much is hitting me hard, but I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion.
Thank you so much to all the folks at ND, Nolan, Emily, Richard and all the others for a ride I'll never forget. You are insanely talented and I'm so glad to have been along for the ride.

Just finished. The realization that this is my last adventure with these characters I love so much is hitting me hard, but I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion.
Thank you so much to all the folks at ND, Nolan, Emily, Richard and all the others for a ride I'll never forget. You are insanely talented and I'm so glad to have been along for the ride.

Yep. It was bittersweet for me, almost 10 years with these characters.

The ending really punctuated the whole game for me. What a beautifully graceful way to end things. I wasn't gonna put this up there with TLOU in terms of ND's best, but the epilogue did it for me.

I love how the epilogue feels like the
sunny, happy inverse of the opening to TLOU.

Also, finding the
photo album as their daughter and seeing her baby pictures...waves of feels. Totally got to me.

Wasn't too happy about the
QTE-based boss fight...I got really frustrated at times, but it was still intense and thrilling.

What a game. And yes, it did feel like Druckmann and Straley were going the "let's see what TLOU2 would look and play like on PS4" route for large chunks of the game.

They seem obsessed with
overgrowth and decaying buildings. Lol

My man, the same thing i felt at the end of my first playthrough! ND are just one of those devs that delivers on all fronts! And the cast and i can not praise the cast enough!

Raven117

Maybe this was discussed to death already, but anyone feel that Elena's va doesn't really fit her appearance/persona?
I mean the lady (va)is doing a great job and adds to the charm -call me ignorant- but while typing this a UC4 let's play is running in the background and at times I would expect Elena to be an Afro-American woman from the South. Don't kill me, I'm from EU. Or is this just a very pronounced female American accent? Just curious

Edit: Lol, nevermind. Emily Rose looks like Elena but Emily's voice doesn't fit her own appearance. Shame on me, haha ;D

HAHA, I . . .man I laughed at this.

Its the ridiculous South African "accent" that is distracting. I know Laura Bailey is a good voice actress, but that is an insanely difficult accent to get right.

Just finished, great game, 8/10.

The game is so movie-like that in the
epilogue, Nathan and Elena looks like they had a bad old-age make-up..

Too much walking. That walking simulator label isn't far fetched. Fell to my death twice in one of those sections because I fell asleep (granted, it was late at night and I was pushing myself but this is the first time ever it happens to me while playing a game.)

Also, too much unnecessary crate move puzzles. Unnecessary traversal problems omitting the fact that you have a hook. These ruin the pacing of the game. UC2 is still the better game.

Reading all that sounds like a 6/10 but you gave it an 8/10.

Daft Punk

Banned
Game was simply incredible, will start replaying immediately.

About the ending though:

Left me a smile getting to see Nate and Elena's kid, and that everyone is well. It's just....now I feel this emptiness. Don't know how to explain it. I realize that no matter what the ending was it would probably feel like this. I guess it's because Nate's story is pretty much over

Anyone else feel like this?

Felt like this after TLOU. Game is so good that with it being the end of Nathan Drake, it's like, "Damn. What comes next?"

Alienous

Well, than was fun.

A fantastic experience, though there was certainly a pretty linear decline in my enjoyment as the game went on. It went from "This is perhaps one of the greatest games I've played" to "Yeah, this is Uncharted". If their goal was to make me not want another Uncharted game they succeeded, I think the well has been tapped.

It probably didn't help that I opted to go through it in a day. It's a little bit too long for that, and so some of the penultimate chapters blended together. But I played TLOU like that and it was riveting throughout.

As far as faults go the sound design, music, heavy amounts of climbing and story come to mind. I'd count Sully looking like Old Snake as a fault, but it's probably more of a selling point.

Also I can't imagine replaying it for at least a while. It isn't a brisk and fat-trimmed enough of an experience.

Xclusion

I'm assuming most of us have got the game by now but I ended up with a extra copy of uncharted digital deluxe, INBOX me for a price if interested.

HardRojo

Something that disappointed me a little about the Uncharted franchise is that, despite all the games mentioning Peru at some point, none of them use it as a location.
Yes, I'm from Peru :(

Alienous

From the interview posted on Rolling Stone earlier:

Like I've said before, the argument is horseshit.
Rest of the interview is here.

The argument isn't horseshit. It's a fair criticism. There's a reason why it isn't a complaint for every gaming protagonist. Nathan Drake is a character written to be relatable and real - he isn't a cartoon character. The bodycount isn't what people are reacting to, otherwise the same would be said of nearly every fps/tps protagonist. Druckmann is looking in the wrong place to derive meaning from the criticism. The 'issue' is that a character who is realistic in most aspects has an unrealistic relationship with the idea of killing people. You don't just get to dance around that and be immune to criticism.

Kinda surprised how much I'm enjoying my replay of this game despite just beating it. Tons of optimal paths and shortcuts to make slow things go by quicker, and playing on hard makes the fights last longer since I die a decent amount.

Still totally love chapters 8 & 9. It's like atmosphere and traversal of the ice caves from 2, some great combat encounters (particularly the last one in 8), and some Last Crusade style trials. The whole area is one of the highlights of the series for me.

Still totally love chapters 8 & 9. It's like atmosphere and traversal of the ice caves from 2, some great combat encounters (particularly the last one in 8), and some Last Crusade style trials. The whole area is one of the highlights of the series for me.

I went from loving 8 and 9, to souring on the whole game, back to loving 8 and 9 (and 17) after hopping through the chapter select a bit lol. I love the atmosphere, Nate's outfit, the combat pacing, and the sequence to end Chapter 9.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Concerning the ending easter egg, poster

I wonder if The Last of Us poster was a tease of their new game. Looks interesting. Looked like a pregnant lady, could be the story of Ellie's mother while carrying her etc. Could be a back story on why she is immune to the infected, maybe her mother being bit resulted in somehow the infection going to the foetus but built an immunity to it somehow, however I am pumped. Bring on The Last of Us 2

why doesn't encounter select just let you keep playing

Were there any segments where you're expected to slide while shooting? I wanted that to be used at some point and don't remember any parts where that's a requirement, instead of merely an option.

Were there any segments where you're expected to slide while shooting? I wanted that to be used at some point and don't remember any parts where that's a requirement, instead of merely an option.

Is it ever an option beyond this?

GIFcdbef.gif

I felt like I never really saw another spot where it felt right. There are a few things they didn't really make a ton of use of in combat tbh (hand to hand, vertical cover, more rope hanging firefights, etc.) The focus on arenas sort of held back the ability to craft smaller sequences that focus on a specific moment.

This is why 8, 9, and 17 >>> the rest of the game, btw.

The argument isn't horseshit. It's a fair criticism. There's a reason why it isn't a complaint for every gaming protagonist. Nathan Drake is a character written to be relatable and real - he isn't a cartoon character. The bodycount isn't what people are reacting to, otherwise the same would be said of nearly every fps/tps protagonist. Druckmann is looking in the wrong place to derive meaning from the criticism. The 'issue' is that a character who is realistic in most aspects has an unrealistic relationship with the idea of killing people. You don't just get to dance around that and be immune to criticism.

I completely disagree. It's only in 4 that Drake is written to be more of a grounded human capable of becoming a family man, but all previous titles (when this faux-intellectual criticism was first leveled at the series) featured a version of him that was as much of a pulp comic book cartoon character as Indiana Jones. He has the physical resilience of Wiley Coyote and (in 1-3) fights against madmen bent on various forms of world domination using supernatural artifacts.

In Uncharted 4, where Drake is humanized a bit more, it's established that he's is willing to go to extreme lengths to help save his brother, whom he had failed and left to die once before. From that point on, the game's villains are the ones initiating combat at every turn, with Nate's character generally trying to avoid it. The game even has an a couple sections (highlighted by two specific trophies) in which several large combat encounters can be sidestepped entirely by stealthing through and leaving all enemies unharmed.

Even if that weren't the case, though, he's basically another Indiana Jones pulp fiction comic book character in a somewhat realistic, but ultimately heightened cartoon world fighting villains seeking to destroy, conquer, or otherwise control the world. The various goons he kills are no more sympathetic humans the audience should care about as the Nazi goons Indiana smugly kills in his films or the swaths of tie fighter pilots and stormtroopers Han and Luke (a 'relatable and real' country bumpkin moisture farmer) slaughter in Star Wars before cheerily celebrating their victories. Like Indiana Jones, Drake's goal is simply to acquire the target artifact and prevent the villains from making a muck of things, but neither goes hunting for situations where they can violently kill more of the murderous goons - the goons are just obstacles already on the path toward their goal who have to be dealt with in order to progress.

By and large people are perfectly capable of understanding and differentiating between character story moments that happen in cutscenes and the core repeating gameplay loops that are fun to play. Nobody who plays tonally serious dramatic RPGs actually expects the stories to take into account magical death reversal items that can be picked up at the local shop for a day's wages - they're just part of the videogame aspect to make things more enjoyable to play. They don't expect a character whose HP decreased to 1% to suffer life changing disability or need to go through physical therapy for a year or two after a big battle. If the story of an RPG were made into a movie, they probably wouldn't expect the characters to engage in repetitive fights against the same clusters of enemies every 40 paces or so either. And people understand that Uncharted's action gameplay loop of navigating combat spaces and shooting things wouldn't be as fun without groups of enemies shooting back, but that's what's fun to play.

Rudiano

Banned
ok WTF? I just finished the game on crushing and I got no trophy for it, Im also sure I finished it in under 6 hours and got no trophy for that too. What has happened? yes I started from the very beginning on Crushing. I used the infinite ammo and guns cheats btw, I heard that doesnt affect the trophy though. While the credits was running I went back to the menu as its long, surely it wasnt because of that?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
ok WTF? I just finished the game on crushing and I got no trophy for it, Im also sure I finished it in under 6 hours and got no trophy for that too. What has happened? yes I started from the very beginning on Crushing. I used the infinite ammo and guns cheats btw, I heard that doesnt affect the trophy though. While the credits was running I went back to the menu as its long, surely it wasnt because of that?

I think the trophy pops after the credits, no? Just press continue if so.

Crushing trophy didn't pop for me until after I got back into the main menu and opened up the chapter select. I don't know if being in chapter select (where every level had Crushing listed as the highest level completed) caused it to pop or if it simply needed a little extra time.

Rudiano

Banned
Crushing trophy didn't pop for me until after I got back into the main menu and opened up the chapter select. I don't know if being in chapter select (where every level had Crushing listed as the highest level completed) caused it to pop or if it simply needed a little extra time.

I just went to chapter select and for some bizarre reason chapter 11 states I completed it under Moderate difficulty WTF? I didnt change the difficulty at all, crushing was easy with the cheats. Im going to redo that mission under Crushing and see what happens
edit: I redid chapter 11 and the epilogue and bam the trophy appeared :)

JBwB

It popped for me on the main menu after the credits finished.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yea if you're gonna include a line where Nate brags "Like a ninja!" when the player has successfully snapped the necks of a bunch of goons without them ever knowing he was there, or pull down security personnel doing their job while he's trying to steal an artifact, (unlike UC2 there was no water this time), and then later
have the antagonist say "these guys don't kill people in cold blood it's not their style."
Then you really can't be surprised when people are raising eyebrows. Even more so when at the beginning of the game he has a problem with a dude getting stabbed.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Alienous

You're not wrong, but you're also treating ludonarrative dissonance as if it's a death sentence for a game.

Of course players can differentiate between gameplay conceits and cutscenes, the point of that when you're feeling a game that is heavily narrative focused it's a big plus if everything gels - if your gameplay reinforces the character portrayal and vice-versa. I do think Uncharted 4 generally is better about handling that than previous games in the series are.

It isn't something to burn a game at the stake over. But when games tackle ludonarrative dissonance well (like TLOU, where your gameplay options never seem to contradict what a character would/wouldn't do) it's simply a "it's cool they managed that", not a requirement. I didn't have a single moment in TLOU that was as temporarily jarring as the example CrossingEden gave in an above post, for instance. I definitely had a moment while playing where, during gameplay, Drake nonchalantly breaks a person's neck and thought "Hmm".

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So I'm doing my crushing play through and wanna hone my mp skills.

What aim assist setting mimics the MP better?

Javin98

Banned
I swear, ludonarrative dissonance in Uncharted is one of the dumbest arguments in gaming. It's fair criticism for Tomb Raider where Lara scores her first kill then feels sick over it, only to become a killing machine mere minutes later. I'm glad Neil gives zero shit about this pointless argument and even made a trophy out of it as playful satire.

I usually give ludonarrative dissonance short shrift - it's not something that ever bothers me and I appreciate conceits have to be made.

It's never bothered me in Uncharted, but I will say given the more grounded approach to its story and characters, Uncharted 4 walks a fine line.

Nate's a funny, likeable, family-man who works a dead-end job and plays
Crash Bandicoot
with his wife. He's normal.

On the other hand, he's snapping necks left right and centre.

Then of course the line later on, 'these guys won't kill in cold blood', felt a little on the nose to me.

It doesn't harm my enjoyment of the game but I will say it's the first Uncharted that had me at least acknowledge it and think about it.

But that's the draw back of trying to mix a more serious, life-like tone with a pulpy action-adventure blockbuster. It works but there is friction.

It's a pity Naughty Dog won't do a James Bond game. He's a cold-blooded killer by his very nature. He kills people constantly but it's never out off character.

pupcoffee

I usually give ludonarrative dissonance short shrift - it's not something that ever bothers me and I appreciate conceits have to be made.

It's never bothered me in Uncharted, but I will say given the more grounded approach to its story and characters, Uncharted 4 walks a fine line.

Nate's a funny, likeable, family-man who works a dead-end job and plays
Crash Bandicoot
with his wife. He's normal.

On the other hand, he's snapping necks left right and centre.

Then of course the line later on, 'these guys won't kill in cold blood', felt a little on the nose to me.

It doesn't harm my enjoyment of the game but I will say it's the first Uncharted that had me at least acknowledge it and think about it.

But that's the draw back of trying to mix a more serious, life-like tone with a pulpy action-adventure blockbuster. It works but there is friction.

It's a pity Naughty Dog won't do a James Bond game. He's a cold-blooded killer by his very nature. He kills people constantly but it's never out off character.

It's not exactly the body count that's off. It's that Nate fights offensively rather than defensively.

Take Uncharted 2 for example. Nate basically sneaks into a base, murders everyone and blows it up. This is because they got to a dig site first. He has no qualms about going straight to war when he's decided he wants the same treasure that you want.

The issue isn't leudonarrative dissonance because even the actual story is kind of strange .

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Finished my second playthrough and my opinion of the game has risen even higher.

I pity any team setting out to top it in its class. Its frankly a bit ridiculous how well put together it is as a piece of work. Which to me, as a former developer, means a LOT.

Massive, mad, props to the hard working people at ND. You've raised the bar again.

You're not wrong, but you're also treating ludonarrative dissonance as if it's a death sentence for a game.

The fuck? Where did I ever say anything remotely like that? I'm criticizing the pseudo-intellectual contrarianism that often claims lugoscababib disobiscuits is a serious criticism because players are supposedly incapable of reconciling the differences between what things are fun to play and what things work in the story. Nobody worries about their character's ability to rewind time whenever they die, they don't worry about where their videogame heroes store all the loot/items/ammo that they collect, they don't worry about the long term disabilities that could result from surviving a 15 story drop or the shrapnel from a nearby grenade explosion, and they don't care that Indiana Jones goons get killed by the hero in a pulp comic action story.

I don't know when exactly the term and criticism first came about, but it sounds like the kind of thing you'd find in those ridiculous Contrarian Corner articles IGN used to have a few years back. They boiled down to a very simple formula: find a title or series that has a wide following and is generally well liked, figure out what particular elements its designers chose to focus on (gameplay, story, whatever, it doesn't matter, we've already decided we're going to criticize it one way or another) and then nitpick to death the things it chose not to focus on and blow them out of proportion.

Mario games focus on level design and simple running and jumping mechanics? Well they don't offer enough variety of disparate gameplay mechanics. GTA focuses on massive intricately detailed worlds and providing a wide array of mechanics but doesn't dive super deep into any single one of them? Well it doesn't have the laser focus on minutae and mechanical depth that games like Gran Turismo or ARMA provide in their driving and shooting gameplay. Tetris focuses on abstract pattern recognition and quick decision making? It focuses on mechanics exclusively and fails to provide that special human element needed to really engage with a game on an emotional level. Uncharted focuses on a swashbuckling pulp story with a blithe hero reminiscent of Indiana Jones or Star Wars? Well it doesn't treat the nitty gritty and often grim consequences his actions have in the real world with enough severity or reverence.

It's not exactly the body count that's off. It's that Nate fights offensively rather than defensively.

It's been a while since I played it, but I'm pretty sure Lazarevic's entire goal was to transform his mercenary army into a world-conquering unstoppable force by making them nigh invincible with the magic resin. How is Nate fighting against that different from what Indiana Jones does? What about everyone's favorite moisture farmer Luke Skywalker, who went on the offensive several times before eventually obliterating tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of people in A New Hope?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nobody worries about their character's ability to rewind time whenever they die, they don't worry about where their videogame heroes store all the loot/items/ammo that they collect, they don't worry about the long term disabilities that could result from surviving a 15 story drop or the shrapnel from a nearby grenade explosion, and they don't care that Indiana Jones goons get killed by the hero in a pulp comic action story.
I mean, nothing of what you say is wrong, but the ludonarrative dissonance (did this term exist before?) is still there. And yes, the quoted things are also just as ridiculous. People also joke about those things. All of them are technically flaws in creating a believable world. I get that a believable world isn't a prerequisite for games, but still. I do agree that Uncharted gets unfairly pegged for this more so than other games, however. And now it's going to be even more so since ND raised their bar for storytelling with TLoU.

Top Bottom