• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Salz01

One of the things that I really think about are the antagonists of the game. They can't really hold a candle to the ones in TLOU. It's almost night and day to me.

Maybe Sam is supposed to be the main antagonist in the game for Drake. The dude just gets Drake in a lot of shit that then Drake feels he needs to rescue them from. He basically gets Drake to lie to his wife and it's an uncomfortable theme the whole game. Nadine and especially Rafe are so damn paper thin, and barely in the game. True they both pose a challenge at certain times, but it's all over far to quick. Nadine is very much under used.

Also wish her mercenary 'Army' included gun ships, tanks, helicopters subs or whatever.

SomTervo

The (late-game spoilers)
origin of the Drake name scene
was just the worst. Felt like something even Tomb Raider would have had the decency to leave on the cutting room floor.

The writing there stuck out so badly. Horribly on the nose dialogue (and the background story too actually), and then the last bit was both contrived and served to make Nate's character less dramatically interesting. Chapter 16 is the only bad part of the game.

Also on the "no way this is cray" side

The
Cassandra Morgan
stuff was fucking great for character motivation/context, and the
origin of Drake's name
was simply there to wrap up the loose end that Amy Hennig introduced with Kathryn Marlowe's
"that's not even your real name"
line.

The chase at the end of that chapter was bad though, actually - it was like the only badly choreographed/designed chase sequence in the whole series. Just completely unbelievable with the way the
cops
basically never actually chased you, they just stood there and blocked you. They should have made it more like the Talbot chase scene where there are only one or two
cops
but they REALLY chase you.

The inclusion of the
sword fight between Nate and Sam
which Druckmann says they cut would have fixed the whole chapter. The exclusion of it is fucking devastating. That really, really shouldn't have been removed.

Alienous

No way. Nothing in Tomb Raider is a fraction as good as chapter
16. It was a much better origin story than I could have hoped for, and its placement in the game was masterful.

I can't agree. I won't argue against the entire chapter, but
the reveal just had me shaking my head. It wasn't a smart way of doing an 'origin story', it was some cringeworthy 'This is your destiny' exposition. Really cliché. Then the 'message sent, I can finally die' death - ugh.

It was whatever the opposite of compelling is.

We already knew his real last name wasn't Drake from U3. I saw nothing wrong with this extra bit of fleshing out when and why they changed it.

I just thought it wasn't done well.

Alpende

I completed the game and still have to do the
epilogue
. I did not like those last two chapters at all, it was just a straight up TPS and the boss fight was not my cup of tea either.
All I did was mash triangle and circle after dying a lot and that worked better than trying to press one button at a time. You kill a ton of guys during the game and yet Nathan manages to not kill this one dude with a sword in hand but just punshes and kicks him, didn't like that either. Even if he was supposed to be his 'friend', it's clear he was hellbent on killing Nathan so I didn't see why Nathan wouldn't just kill Rafe. If I were Nathan I'd have stuffed some of those coins in my pockets instead of just walking past them but hey, that's me.

Overall a great game but I didn't like the last couple of chapters at all. I did it on hard and I might try crushing but I'm afraid I won't complete that because some parts were just straight up shitty / unfair, even on hard.

Bladenic

Chapter 18 and I finally found a treasure under water, by complete chance too! I missed tons of treasures though so there could have been others. Also I swear some treasures must be like within 5 feet of one another. Just in chapter 18 I missed one treasure that I have no clue where it could've been because the two that it is between were only one area apart.

Alienous

The melee combat is weird. They eschew Uncharted 3's melee combat mechanics and decide to remove dodging attacks of all things. You can roll or run away but that doesn't make for very satisfying fight sections.

Then they went and done (end-game spoilers)
that final boss. 'Hey, let's teach you some new melee combat mechanics'. What? Apparently there was supposed to be a faux sword fight in Chapter 16 that was cut? It would have helped but it still would have been a poor choice. A final boss should test my ability to use game mechanics I already know, not try to teach new ones. It was visually stunning though.

cackhyena

The melee combat is weird. They eschew Uncharted 3's melee combat mechanics and decide to remove dodging attacks of all things. You can roll or run away but that doesn't make for very satisfying fight sections.

that final boss. 'Hey, let's teach you some new melee combat mechanics'. What? Apparently there was supposed to be a faux sword fight in Chapter 16 that was cut? It would have helped but it still would have been a poor choice. A final boss should test my ability to use game mechanics I already know, but try to teach new ones. It was visually stunning though.
Agreed with all of this.

Is it ever an option beyond this?

GIFcdbef.gif

I felt like I never really saw another spot where it felt right. There are a few things they didn't really make a ton of use of in combat tbh (hand to hand, vertical cover, more rope hanging firefights, etc.) The focus on arenas sort of held back the ability to craft smaller sequences that focus on a specific moment.

This is why 8, 9, and 17 >>> the rest of the game, btw.

A lot of the arenas have those things in them though. I've used slides, hand to hand, ropes, and vertical cover a ton in a lot of fights because many are quite accommodating of all those options or the fights just flow naturally so you use them. But I agree there should have been more of those linear and specifically crafted firefights in between the arenas.

It's why I would've been satisfied with at least one arena like those in every other chapter. Almost every one of those ended up being cool during my playthrough, and it was all freeform and unscripted. All the pieces and the myriad ways they can come together seem spot on in this game. If it would've taken too long to have a bunch of carefully-crafted encounters one after another, then even some less-carefully put together shootout locations would've still managed to be fun.

That said, I think about the potential for each facet of gameplay getting showcased during a shootout, and also used in a subversive way. A shootout while swinging around from the grappling hook and having to shoot through debris while sliding while in that collapsing tower could've been cool rather than just a run-and-jump segment. A shootout while drifting down a river (in a truck and out), using the climbing pick to slide down a pirate ship sail, and so forth. The abilities are cool even in the most basic scenarios, which just makes me wish there were more atypical scenarios that explores what can be done with those abilities.

davitpr

Going through my second playthrough. Graphics are great as always but I'm starting to notice things I don't like:

1. In all uncharted games I find it lazy how Nate supposedly has all the clues and is ahead of the bad guys, only for the bad guys to suddenly appear out of nowhere. UC4 does this again and it completely takes me out of the game. Why go through all the effort of finding clues if bad guys always out smart them. ugh.

2. Some chapters are really good, others just feel like a chore and going through the motion. I don't have a problem with encounters, but I wish they would have added some extra ways to deal with guys. The rope is fun but I find myself wanting to use binoculars to mark people a la MGSV, using silencing weapons, etc.

3. Some of the set pieces feel forced into the game with no logical reason of happening. It just feels like ND were like "man, it's been a few hours and we haven't had any action, let's put a rock in the middle of this muddy place and have Nate be so stupid that he doesn't try to pull the winch over it". This part really got to me. The first time I noticed the rock and how dumb it was to just leave the winch like that, the second time it made me feel like ND thinks Nate is an idiot and I'm also an idiot.

Overall I enjoyed UC2 and 3 more than 4. 4 is a great game, but it felt like ND was so caught up in the technical side of it that they forgot about gameplay.

Alpende

that final boss. 'Hey, let's teach you some new melee combat mechanics'. What? Apparently there was supposed to be a faux sword fight in Chapter 16 that was cut? It would have helped but it still would have been a poor choice. A final boss should test my ability to use game mechanics I already know, not try to teach new ones. It was visually stunning though.

Agreed.
I just mashed triangle and circle repeatedly and that worked great.

brau

The writing there stuck out so badly. Horribly on the nose dialogue (and the background story too actually), and then the last bit was both contrived and served to make Nate's character less dramatically interesting. Chapter 16 is the only bad part of the game.

I was expecting Sam to have conned you to help him do something you were not comfortable with. So that in the end the betrayal mirrored something that happened previously. I enjoyed exploring the house, but yawned at the woman background, she was not a very fleshed out character... i would've been more interested to learn about their mom directly instead of snippets told by her.

Also the chase scene at the end of that chapter was weak.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Chapter 18 and I finally found a treasure under water, by complete chance too! I missed tons of treasures though so there could have been others. Also I swear some treasures must be like within 5 feet of one another. Just in chapter 18 I missed one treasure that I have no clue where it could've been because the two that it is between were only one area apart.

Sometimes the treasures are listed out of the expected order, especially in the more open levels.

Kyrios

This one seemed wonky for me too. I got it after a few tries though. Those 15 seconds go by real fast and make sure you're getting headshots and nothing else.

Just got the Platinum myself. It wouldn't have been so bad if some of the trophies weren't really dumb and required a lot of chapter replays/checkpointing/doing random shit in combat, but I mostly had fun doing it.

Yeah I'll keep trying I guess lol I'll take a break for a bit and actually start Dark Souls III, then go back for everything else for the platinum.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Sorry if mentioned before, about to start U4 and I'm wondering about the difficulty level. What to choose if I want a challenge but not too hard for the first playthrough?

Alienous

Sorry if mentioned before, about to start U4 and I'm wondering about the difficulty level. What to choose if I want a challenge but not too hard for the first playthrough?

I found Moderate to be a good amount of difficulty. It felt like I had enough room to try stuff out in combat without feeling like I died too quickly. And I died more than I expected to even when I took combat encounters seriously, which is rare for me considering as most games err on the side of 'could do with being harder', for me.

brau

Play it on Hard. It offers some challenge on the AI, some of the encounters might be a bit one sided until you find a way to keep moving and flank them. But its a game that gives you options, and i feel like hard really brings the best out of the that for a first play through.

Normal is too easy. unless you just want to experience the story with little challenge.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
I found Moderate to be a good amount of difficulty. It felt like I had enough room to try stuff out in combat without feeling like I died too quickly. And I died more than I expected to even when I took combat encounters seriously, which is rare for me considering as most games err on the side of 'could do with being harder', for me.

Thanks man, that sounds lika good choice!

That said, I think about the potential for each facet of gameplay getting showcased during a shootout, and also used in a subversive way. A shootout while swinging around from the grappling hook and having to shoot through debris while sliding while in that collapsing tower could've been cool rather than just a run-and-jump segment. A shootout while drifting down a river (in a truck and out), using the climbing pick to slide down a pirate ship sail, and so forth. The abilities are cool even in the most basic scenarios, which just makes me wish there were more atypical scenarios that explores what can be done with those abilities.

The more I think about it the less satisfied I am with what they did with the mechanics outside combat as well (which is a problem in this game because of how much more of that there is). I really don't think the game needs additional mechanics to be more engaging, but what is in there isn't used cleverly enough IMO. Aside from a single 10 second sequence in Chapter 21, the platforming never ramps up, and is barely integrated into the puzzle solving this time. Not once did I think to myself "Huh, that was interesting" after a stretch of moves. There's too much walking and gawking at beautiful things, and the 12-19 chapters in particular can sometimes feel too much like The Last of Us with how flat and basic your path is through the overgrown and toppled environments and puzzles.

There were a few cool rope moves-
saving yourself during the clocktower collapse in Ch. 11, the swing up during the Nadine fight in Ch. 15, hanging on the rope while being attacked in whatever chapter that is (14, I think?), the back-back swings in Ch. 21
-but most of those are real fast one offs. You don't get the sense that things are escalating and you face death by messing up. With the way they make everything crumble around Drake and Sam, why not use those moments to let me recover with a bunch of higher intensity platforming? Or better yet, build up to those moments by acknowledging beforehand that EVERYTHING in this area looks janky, and make the crumbling rocks and decaying platforms part of the forward momentum.

This game really hurt my niggas Net_Wrecker and Spring-Loaded ya'll

a week later, it just keeps rumbling through mind like "Why naughty dog...why did you make these design decisions tho...this could've been the GOAT..."

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Play it on Hard. It offers some challenge on the AI, some of the encounters might be a bit one sided until you find a way to keep moving and flank them. But its a game that gives you options, and i feel like hard really brings the best out of the that for a first play through.

Normal is too easy. unless you just want to experience the story with little challenge.

Thanks for your input, will consider it!

Alienous

a week later, it just keeps rumbling through mind like "Why naughty dog...why did you make these design decisions tho...this could've been the GOAT..."

This has been a generation of great sequels marred by strange design choices.

I'd slot Uncharted 4 next to Metal Gear Solid V and Batman Arkham Knight. They're so good mechanically but don't let you play with enough of it.

They were so close mane (; _ ;)

But I also spent like 4 years jumping in and out of UC3 threads and that was half the game UC4 is so...... maybe I'm addicted to the disappointment. HURT ME MORE, SNAKE.

Witcher 3 DLC, Hitman, Mirror's Edge, etc. will distract me eventually.

The inclusion of the
which Druckmann says they cut would have fixed the whole chapter. The exclusion of it is fucking devastating. That really, really shouldn't have been removed.

Hopefully we will get an enhanced PS4K/NEO version and it will include most, if not all of the cut content - and then some!!

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
finished my second playthrough on Hard; enjoyed it just as much as the first run

still in an Uncharted mood so i started up UC2 and played to the sign post encounter before the train scene

bpmmnTZ.png

UC4 is better

Also on the "no way this is cray" side

The
Cassandra Morgan
stuff was fucking great for character motivation/context, and the
origin of Drake's name
was simply there to wrap up the loose end that Amy Hennig introduced with Kathryn Marlowe's
"that's not even your real name"
line.

The chase at the end of that chapter was bad though, actually - it was like the only badly choreographed/designed chase sequence in the whole series. Just completely unbelievable with the way the
cops
basically never actually chased you, they just stood there and blocked you. They should have made it more like the Talbot chase scene where there are only one or two
cops
but they REALLY chase you.

The inclusion of the

I completely disagree

I didn't like that
right before we meet back up with Elena they cut away to a side story that is explicitly about another adventurer who lost her family because of her dedication to adventure. I thought that was super heavy handed and on the nose. And then Evelyn's dialogue where she just states exactly what she's feeling in some really maudlin dialogue and she conveniently dies just in time for both the boys to be there and the cops to arrive. Then we go from Uncharted 3 implying that Nate took on the Drake name as a means of marrying his love of history with his aspirations of greatness to escape his sordid past, to 4 where it is a creation of his brother's so they can live under a new identity to escape the utterly contrived death they had to flee from. It doesn't technically contradict what 3 set up, but it did cheapen it's meaning and show over explained something that didn't need to be explained in the first place, and it did so in a really hammy way that doesn't jive with the pretty subtle and nuanced writing throughout the rest of the game

They were so close mane (; _ ;)

But I also spent like 4 years jumping in and out of UC3 threads and that was half the game UC4 is so...... maybe I'm addicted to the disappointment. HURT ME MORE, SNAKE.

Witcher 3 DLC, Hitman, Mirror's Edge, etc. will distract me eventually.

I'm only in chapter 8 but I can't imagine how you could feel that way. The game feels like it was made by a team at the height of their talent where they have enough confidence to sit back and just let the experience envelope you.

Qassim

Just completed it today. I quite enjoyed it, incredible presentation most of the time (framerate drops were disappointingly frequent though, but not really a big problem), writing, story and characters were better than they've ever been in an Uncharted game, the open levels were ultimately largely illusions but they were very convincing illusions, they did very well to give you the sense that you had a choice in the moment even if you didn't have that much.

But unfortunately, it was still a bit too tedious to play. The gameplay never became compelling to me, at worst it was frustrating, at best it was acceptable. They did a much better job for much of this game pacing out the different kinds of gameplay though (gunfights -> platforming -> 'puzzles' -> talky-walky sections) than previous games. Many of the final encounters were pretty stupid though, stupid enough to make me consider dropping the following score .5 points. But it was pretty short.. so I'll let it off. Also, the stealth was bad. I wanted to stealth it more, but the mechanics weren't that good.

Pretty good. 7.5/10.

I'm only in chapter 8 but I can't imagine how you could feel that way. The game feels like it was made by a team at the height of their talent where they have enough confidence to sit back and just let the experience envelope you.

I have no qualms with the game design. The pacing isn't perfect throughout, but the actual design of the enemy encounters is pretty awesome IMO. I got the Platinum and I still feel like I don't know how to completely utilize everything at my disposal let alone memorization of the environments and how to best use them to your advantage. I also like that the game isn't chock full of encounters so that the ones that are there are actually satisfying, with some of them being pretty long (ones in chapters 13 and 14 spring to mind) rather than becoming repetitious.

Nah, unlike games like MGSV, this actually balanced story and game design and said design gave you a lot of fun things to do in open environments which helps keep you engaged. Uncharted 4 is basically what I wanted that to be, to an extent. Hell, it had better stealth for me just because I gave a fuck about what I was doing.

I have no qualms with the game design. The pacing isn't perfect throughout, but the actual design of the enemy encounters is pretty awesome IMO. I got the Platinum and I still feel like I don't know how to completely utilize everything at my disposal let alone memorization of the environments and how to best use them to your advantage. I also like that the game isn't chock full of encounters so that the ones that are there are actually satisfying, with some of them being pretty long (ones in chapters 13 and 14 spring to mind) rather than becoming repetitious.

it's everything else that becomes repetitious

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ehhh, maybe. Beta was fun but I didn't come out of it like 'YO I NEED THIS"

Probably because I thought UC4 was gonna save me oh god why (; _ ;)

mcree tho

You can hear him calling. Feel it within.

Plus when you die and slowly walk back to the point you can pretend you're playing uncharted again.

I didn't like that
right before we meet back up with Elena they cut away to a side story that is explicitly about another adventurer who lost her family because of her dedication to adventure. I thought that was super heavy handed and on the nose. And then Evelyn's dialogue where she just states exactly what she's feeling in some really maudlin dialogue and she conveniently dies just in time for both the boys to be there and the cops to arrive. Then we go from Uncharted 3 implying that Nate took on the Drake name as a means of marrying his love of history with his aspirations of greatness to escape his sordid past, to 4 where it is a creation of his brother's so they can live under a new identity to escape the utterly contrived death they had to flee from. It doesn't technically contradict what 3 set up, but it did cheapen it's meaning and show over explained something that didn't need to be explained in the first place, and it did so in a really hammy way that doesn't jive with the pretty subtle and nuanced writing throughout the rest of the game

Chapter 16 should've been left on the cutting room floor tbh.
The most contrived fuckin' thing, like come the hell on. And all that phony Left Behind stuff like Ellie and Riley touching things, but nowhere near as enduring as "fuck you, skull" or Ellie playing that video game in her mind or the water gun fight, or basically the entirety of Left Behind if Im being real.

kyser73

That zero punctuation review is spot on in pretty much every way. Especially chapter 16 - where the question is not so much 'why drag the game down to a snails pace' and more 'why bother, and who gives a fuck'?

Chapter 16 ties so much together from the game so far (as well as the longer series-spanning story of Nate) and sets up the final act so well. Piecing together the lives of Edmund, Ken & Evelyn from reading the journal entries & letters was an absolute joy for me.

DukeBobby

Son of a bitch. rage quited my trophy run because I'm trying to get this damn optional conversation to trigger. 😫 tips?

The optional conversations were a terrible idea. It's frustrating when you miss one due to your partner wandering off when you trigger it. Not to mention that they never have anything interesting to say either.

They were a pain in the ass in The Last of Us as well. Even after four playthroughs, I never got the trophy for listening to them all.

Son of a bitch. rage quited my trophy run because I'm trying to get this damn optional conversation to trigger. 😫 tips?

Which optional convo? The only one that was really out there with a hidden trigger condition was in the part where you finally reach the treasury with Sam. There's a specific convo that only triggers if you go investigate a skeleton with a spear through it over in the back left corner of the room.

farisr

Finished the game a few hours ago. Absolutely loved it. The Naughty Dog polish is just something else. Honestly kind of feel like replaying the game right now with some modifiers and a higher difficulty but wondering if I should save that for when I get the Neo (as this game is undoubtedly a candidate for a neo patch). The level design/enemy encounters are legitimately terrific, I could not really say that for enemy encounters for the past 3 games. They learned a lot from The Last Of Us. Being able to lose the enemies even after they've spotted you once is exactly what was needed to make the encounters more engaging compared to past entries. Mix that with better stealth mechanics, and general enemy AI being improved, alongside better gunplay. Man... so good.

End game spoilers
Chapter 22 - Did anyone else legitimately think that Nathan or Sam was gonna die when they were swimming away from the burning ship and the cave was collapsing. I wouldn't have thought anything else of it, but when the ominous music kicked in I was like "don't tell me they're going to kill off one of them now after all that" since usually in these types of situations you'd have some bombastic music going on rather than a somber piano piece. So I guess good job on ND for making me doubt how it was going to end.

Did not like the focus on melee at the beginning, felt that went on for too long. Spoilers again
the Nadine and Rafe fights were fine though, should've just had those be the melee only sections.

Bladenic

Just finished, I may write a review on my blog and I need more time to collect thoughts (and also see the ending fully) but the final boss was not my jam.

Chapter 16 should've been left on the cutting room floor tbh.
The most contrived fuckin' thing, like come the hell on. And all that phony Left Behind stuff like Ellie and Riley touching things, but nowhere near as enduring as "fuck you, skull" or Ellie playing that video game in her mind or the water gun fight, or basically the entirety of Left Behind if Im being real.

Both
young Nate chapters in this reused a ton of stuff from Left Behind like the whole "you got a job and now you're leaving me behind" and the take a picture while wearing silly hats. Except this time it felt hollow as fuck, at least in 16.
So yeah. Left Behind, but bad.

Chapter 4 was a much more successful implementation of that sort of game design because it feels really strongly connected to the narrative and doesn't feel like watered down leftovers with some weak writing slapped on.

Top Bottom