• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Beat the game yesterday and was very dissatisfied with the immediate ending
The fight between Rafe and Nate
the rest was good,
So Nadine traps Nate, Rafe, and a pinned Sam in a room aboard a burning ship and Rafe goes "Fuck it I have to kill you now" I literally face-palmed!!! It made zero sense, Rafe could've atleast worked with Drake for like 5 minutes, then maybe betrayed them once the escaped(and try to get his revenge on Nadine) and once all the booby-traps were done exploding come back and reclaim the treasure.

It was worse than ucharted 3's ending battle imo, am i missing something gaf?

Javin98

Banned
See? What did I say? Here on GAF, we can write complex endings that everyone universally praises. Hell, if we had the budget, we could even make all the right technological choices that the game blows away Uncharted 4.

And LOL at the post above. It seems some people didn't follow the story and don't understand its themes or something. But what do I know? I'm no brilliant writer on NeoGAF.

Gnilres

Just beat it and wow my god. I think I may have found my equivalent to the giraffe scene from TLoU.

The very beginning of the chapter "For Better or Worse" when Nate and Elena are driving the truck of the hill and you can't hear anything except for the piano music was incredibly moving for me.

I loved everything about this game and I want to see Rafe in a movie asap.

EDIT: Not sure if I picked the right chapter but you guys know what I'm talking about, right?

The game is beyond criticism it seems

Nah. People's criticisms aren't beyond criticisms.

"He saved my life."

Edit: Gnilres, yea that was one of my favorite moments in the game.

And the "half way through the year, favorite game" thread is pretty enlightening on a discussion we had a few pages back. UC4 is comfortably in the lead.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I just finished the journey yesterday, I was crying with joy/sadness/happiness/love.
That is the perfect send off to one of my favourite groups of characters, just...perfect.

That is one of those rare game endings that elevated it beyond the rest of the game, wow.
Imagine if ME3 had that type of love poured into it's ending...:D

Just to get away from the ending discussion, how many people when you got to the E3 demo shooting section of the game turned to sock the dude as you exited the building before he could grab you?

It's so satisfying

Can you actually knock him into/through the blue wooden cabinet like in the demo?

joms5

Of course it's not. I'm just fed up with GAF's attitude that we can do things better than developers when it usually turns out like turd.

Who said WE can do things better. I think IT could have been done better, I don't recall anyone saying they could have done it better.

But you're right we shouldn't have a discussion on what was done wrong in the game. Just lap it up regardless and then praise it for its lackluster qualities.

What you should be fed up with is the fact that you let silly things like this get to you. Does it take away any of the enjoyment you had with the game? If not then don't worry about it.

I'd like to think that some developers check these forums and would like constructive criticism on their game. I'd say they get more out of criticism that hundreds of people proclaiming "GOTY candidate!"

And the "half way through the year, favorite game" thread is pretty enlightening on a discussion we had a few pages back. UC4 is comfortably in the lead.

And some people liked the Star Wars prequels. What's your point?

Who said WE can do things better. I think IT could have been done better, I don't recall anyone saying they could have done it better.

But you're right we shouldn't have a discussion on what was done wrong in the game. Just lap it up regardless and then praise it for its lackluster qualities.

What you should be fed up with is the fact that you let silly things like this get to you. Does it take away any of the enjoyment you had with the game? If not then don't worry about it.

I'd like to think that some developers check these forums and would like constructive criticism on their game. I'd say they get more out of criticism that hundreds of people proclaiming "GOTY candidate!"

And some people liked the Star Wars prequels. What's your point?

Um.. what's your point? Are you trying to say liking UC4 is akin to liking the Star Wars prequels or that our opinions are bad?

Kindly GTFO with that nonsense.

Bladenic

I was thinking about getting the collection to replay the series and especially 3 since I hated it the single time I played it.

But I'm remembering Uncharted 1 and that game definitely had some, I dunno, weird and inconsistent characterization compared to later installments. Most notably, the Sully fake death and Nate barely bats an eye. It's especially funny because Uncharted 3 haha. Just a pointless observation.

Of course it's not. I'm just fed up with GAF's attitude that we can do things better than developers when it usually turns out like turd.

The next step after pointing out what needs fixed is how to fix it. Just like the former, you can discuss the latter without pretending to think we can do Naughty Dog's job for them because the process is hard even if you have an opinion on how to fix it. Most still understand that much.

the rest was good,
So Nadine traps Nate, Rafe, and a pinned Sam in a room aboard a burning ship and Rafe goes "Fuck it I have to kill you now" I literally face-palmed!!! It made zero sense, Rafe could've atleast worked with Drake for like 5 minutes, then maybe betrayed them once the escaped(and try to get his revenge on Nadine) and once all the booby-traps were done exploding come back and reclaim the treasure.

Rafe was certifiably psycho, especially by the end. The fact that he'd be more focused on killing Nate than getting out alive made sense to me.

the rest was good,

I think
Rafe pretty much hated Drake, there's a conversation between Nate and Elena that implies he's envious of Nate ... and the bit where Rafe shoots Nate dead would also go along with that. His meltdown at the end seemed in part over Nate's willingness to come back and save his lying brother.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was thinking about getting the collection to replay the series and especially 3 since I hated it the single time I played it.

But I'm remembering Uncharted 1 and that game definitely had some, I dunno, weird and inconsistent characterization compared to later installments. Most notably, the Sully fake death and Nate barely bats an eye. It's especially funny because Uncharted 3 haha. Just a pointless observation.

Definitely aren't recalling events as they occurred accurately. A good stretch of the game after the event has Nathan kind of freaking out about it and attempting to abandon the mission for the sake of his and Elena's lives with earnestness. Sully's death is very clearly at the forefront of his thoughts, well ahead of the quest.

joms5

Um.. what's your point? Are you trying to say liking UC4 is akin to liking the Star Wars prequels or that our opinions are bad?

Kindly GTFO with that nonsense.

Wow must have hit a nerve with someone. I was simply saying just because people like something, doesn't make it good.

But if you can't be an adult about a discussion and have to resort to telling people to "gtfo" maybe it's time your parents cut off your internet time. You must be great in social circles.

And we just hit a new high/low comparison. Well done.

You can join your friend in the assume corner if you'd like. Where did I say "Uncharted 4 is just like the Star Wars prequels"

Bladenic

Well, I'll have to replay it of course. But to me it seemed like "oh shit sully's dead, oh well moving on now." He wasn't as affected as someone who's known another person for years should've been. Of course that was a development in Uncharted 3 so it's not a knock against the game. Just funny in hindsight.

Wow must have hit a nerve with someone. I was simply saying just because people like something, doesn't make it good.

But if you can't be an adult about a discussion and have to resort to telling people to "gtfo" maybe it's time your parents cut off your internet time. You must be great in social circles.

You can join your friend in the assume corner if you'd like. Where did I say "Uncharted 4 is just like the Star Wars prequels"

Right, I'm not being an adult for not discussing an opinion that essentially amounts to "your opinions are wrong."

Good one. Keep it up.

Javin98

Banned
Just started my second playthrough. Made it to the start of Chapter 6. So far loving it more than my first playthrough. Wonder how Chapters 8 and 9 will hold up.

I seem to recall your suggestion of
letting Sam die and Nate saying "The man who saved my life"
as being superior to what we got. Is that not thinking you can write the story better than ND themselves? Personally, I found your idea terrible and I'm sure a few others did too. Also, I've been spending much less time on GAF for the past half a year and somehow the constant ranting still annoys me. Trust me, if it weren't for the news and hype, I would have quit GAF long ago.

The next step after pointing out what needs fixed is how to fix it. Just like the former, you can discuss the latter without pretending to think we can do Naughty Dog's job for them because the process is hard even if you have an opinion on how to fix it. Most still understand that much
I get that, what I'm fed up with is how GAF pretends to know better than the devs themselves. Not just this game, any game for that matter. Constructive criticism is always good, but a lot here love to pretend that they can do a peefect job.

Alienous

I get that, what I'm fed up with is how GAF pretends to know better than the devs themselves. Not just this game, any game for that matter. Constructive criticism is always good, but a lot here love to pretend that they can do a peefect job.

An 8 year old could have written Uncharted 4's thematically inconsistent ending. If you printed off Uncharted fan-fiction endings, placed them all across the floor of a room, and threw a coin at some random point in that room you'd hit fan-fiction exactly like Uncharted 4's ending.

Now I'm not saying I could do a better job, just that I give credit where it's due and I don't think Uncharted 4 deserves any. And I thought The Last of Us, especially given that it's a fairly rote zombie story, ended perfectly, so it isn't just some wacky criticism.

Javin98

Banned
Currently halfway through Chapter 9. The slow moments are actually holding up better on replays than I thought. Mastering the combat also made the larger sections a ton of fun.

An 8 year old could have written Uncharted 4's thematically inconsistent ending. If you printed off Uncharted fan-fiction endings, placed them all across the floor of a room, and threw a coin at some random point in that room you'd hit fan-fiction exactly like Uncharted 4's ending.

Now I'm not saying I could do a better job, just that I give credit where it's due and I don't think Uncharted 4 deserves any. And I thought The Last of Us, especially given that it's a fairly rote zombie story, ended perfectly, so it isn't just some wacky criticism.
Wow, I don't know how some of you here tolerate the level of hyperbole and even worse how some spout bullshit like this. I'm impressed by your humility, though. You're basically saying you can't write better than eight year old, good to know. With hyperbole like that, I don't think there's anything to discuss.

Finally finished it. I think that the game was... okay. Nothing great in my opinion, but also not a bad game. I missed the setpieces from Uncharted 2, to be honest. The
E3 demo in Madagascar was by far the best part of the campaign
. Some thoughts:

1) The absolute insane climbing not only from Nate, but his allies as well, take any sense of realism away from the game. I actually laughed when 10yo Nathan was climbing churches and buildings like a godamn superhero. I know that this game isn´t at all about being super realistic, but it was still... stupid. I think that the above than average writing makes this problem more evident. Same thing for when they murder a bunch of security guys and mercenaries, then one of his friends turns to Nathan and casually asks if he is okay. "Yeah I am okay!" then they just move on and kill more people. I think that Tomb Raider did a better job with this even showing Lara in a therapy session.

2) Combat is still not very good. Playing on hard, weapons felt very weak and enemies took some time to finally go down. Sometimes I also tried rolling around to escape sniper shots only for Nathan to take cover and die.

3) Platforming, as a lot of people already said, is very automatic and not fun at all. I think thats a problem with a lot of games in this category. Feels dumb to just move the stick in one direction and keep pressing "X" so Nate climbs at light speed.

4) I wish they tried some more "new" stuff in this game like the
car chase in Madagascar and the sword fight

5) Ending was lame imo.
I think some sense of sacrifice would be better by killing any of the main characters. Elena would be my top choice here, since it would affect both Nate and Sam. Also, Nadine was a terrible char, imo. Leader of mercenaries is all we know about her and at the end she just disappears with the classic "This treasure will be the doom of us all!"

Anyway, I feel like the gameplay is already showing its age, but Naughty Dog is still one of the best for creating stories and writing good dialogues and characters.

1) Italian mafia.. so escuse me for not feelign a thing about it.
5) Why would the death of a character fitting for the LAST uncharted game made by naughty dog. Uncharted 3 proved that they weren't gonna kill anyone ( remember sully ? ) Why did anyone expected someone death ?
As for nadine
, what do you expect her to do , when everyone so obsessed by this treasure that they are willying to push forward even after being forced to walk into death trap one after another for more than a afternoon. I'd be tired of it all , especially after rafe backstabbed her.

ND already entered the upper echelon of excellent TPS mechanics and design with TLOU but I feel like UC4 is the first time they have achieved combat that is on the same level as everything else with Uncharted. Fights are frantic and dynamic, staying constantly on the move and varying your attack method is more necessary now than ever.

It's just so enjoyable.

Also is this the easiest Uncharted so far? I'm playing on crushing and I just hit chapter 10 and haven't had any issues.

I still hate the melee system when you have no weapons. It feels so archaic and disjointed. I could have swore in UC2 you could dodge punches and counterattack by pressing triangle at the right time but it seems I can only roll like a maniac to dodge a punch

Wow, I don't know how some of you here tolerate the level of hyperbole and even worse how some spout bullshit like this. I'm impressed by your humility, though. You're basically saying you can't write better than eight year old, good to know. With hyperbole like that, I don't think there's anything to discuss.
Or you could not get so bent out of shape over two posts, using them an excuse to shy away from the discussion entirely

There's nothing that outlandish about saying an 8-year-old could've conceived this ending (just the general idea of it), and certainly nothing crazy about saying there's likely fan-fiction that takes the same approach.

None of that really speaks to how well that type of ending was done — it was done about as well as it could've. No reason to take personal offense over such comments.

Javin98

Banned
Or you could not get so bent out of shape over two posts, using them an excuse to shy away from the discussion entirely

There's nothing that outlandish about saying an 8-year-old could've conceived this ending (just the general idea of it), and certainly nothing crazy about saying there's likely fan-fiction that takes the same approach.

None of that really speaks to how well that type of ending was done — it was done about as well as it could've. No reason to take personal offense over such comments.
Nah, no personal offense. It's not my game anyway. As I said, it just seems these days GAF can't enjoy a game without criticizing it with maximum hyperbole. That's fair, I don't have to reply to those posts. I'll just simply enjoy these games despite their flaws. Again, I'm not referring solely to Uncharted 4, I'm talking about any game in general.

I'm finding it hard to seperate sarcasm from joking.

Alienous

Pretty much.

I don't know if Uncharted as a franchise had a better ending in it, but I'm not impressed with the one we got.

I am probably being purposefully inflammatory about it though. It isn't that bad.

ND already entered the upper echelon of excellent TPS mechanics and design with TLOU but I feel like UC4 is the first time they have achieved combat that is on the same level as everything else with Uncharted. Fights are frantic and dynamic, staying constantly on the move and varying your attack method is more necessary now than ever.

It's just so enjoyable.

Also is this the easiest Uncharted so far? I'm playing on crushing and I just hit chapter 10 and haven't had any issues.

I still hate the melee system when you have no weapons. It feels so archaic and disjointed. I could have swore in UC2 you could dodge punches and counterattack by pressing triangle at the right time but it seems I can only roll like a maniac to dodge a punch

It's by far the easiest Uncharted because you have so much freedom. Hard felt like Normal in any other Uncharted. Haven't tried Crushing, but most haven't had much issues until one particular late game chapter.

It's an outlandish claim because its so damn dumb. Like, what does it even mean?

You think an 8 year old who plays games couldn't come up with
a super brutal death for one of the characters?

If your trying to say the ending is weak because it's poorly thought out, just say so. No need to engage in ridiculous statements that don't really serve a purpose or hold up.

It's an outlandish claim because its so damn dumb. Like, what does it even mean?

You think an 8 year old who plays games couldn't come up with
a super brutal death for one of the characters?

If your trying to say the ending is weak because it's poorly thought out, just say so. No need to engage in ridiculous statements that don't really serve a purpose or hold up.
The dude who said the 8-year-old thing was talked NG about the actual ending in the game. An
"everyone lives happily ever after" with virtual no consequence
ending is what was being referred to.

That said, I thought it was fine and earned considering the tone of the series overall. Nate had moments where it finally seemed to get through to him that it's just irresponsible to put the people he cares in danger just for some adventure and discovery. That aspect and how they reconcile it seems the mature part — I can't really refute that the
ending is safe
. Which is the point being made, not the 8-year-old thing.

It just goes both ways — 8-year-old could write whatever kind of ending for the game, it's just more a turn-of-phrase comment, something not to be taken literally or focused on. If someone's concerned about the possibility for discussion, then they can easily look past that and focus on the actual meat of the argument being made.

And all concerns about that argument can be directed at the person who made it, not me

valkyre

This.... so much THIS.

Like you said, criticism is fine, but you see a shit ton of "opinions" being thrown around here, presented as "facts" coming from seemingly "amazingly talented folk", who can obviously do a better job.

I hate this arrogance, not just in terms of Uncharted 4, but generally. So many people act as if they are super awesome and make you feel that perfection is just so easy for them to achieve... those "know-it-all" guys, who rarely live up to their credentials in RL.

This.... so much THIS.

Like you said, criticism is fine, but you see a shit ton of "opinions" being thrown around here, presented as "facts" coming from seemingly "amazingly talented folk", who can obviously do a better job.

I hate this arrogance, not just in terms of Uncharted 4, but generally. So many people act as if they are super awesome and make you feel that perfection is just so easy for them to achieve... those "know-it-all" guys, who rarely live up to their credentials in RL.

Outside observers (including myself) will always feel that making games is much easier than it actually is.

It's the same way reading anywhere on internet people shit on games for being slightly flawed in their mind in one way or another.

The assumption that developers have not though of several ways to tackle the same problem or create a gameplay scenario or do any gameplay mechanics at all is infuriating, I agree. These guys for the most part work their butts off and have to work within a system that pleases their publishers, which can sometimes make the whole job even harder.

People have to let go of that attitude, I agree. It's a major case of privilege of having so many games, people feel equally as "privileged" to think they know more than they do. A curse of the plenty.

It's just so enjoyable.

Yep, people who complain about the shooting or combat make me shake my head I don't get it, TLOU and now UC4 have excellent mechanics and combat.,

It's just so enjoyable.

There's some bullshit parts in the catacombs, and the exploding mummies will piss you off as well.

Other than that it's not too bad. For the larger battles you will have to use stealth as much as possible, sometimes exit combat after entering it a few times to be efficient/be sure to get past a big group of enemies.

Also they put mercenaries who run at you and grab you more often, those guys can make a pretty easy area much harder. These guys:

27169824696_762088bff1_o_d.png

This.... so much THIS.

Just ask "how would it could be better?" And go from there. And you're better off not taking offense to someone sounding to you like they think they know better — unless they're outright and seriously saying they would do a better job, whether someone sounds that way is subjective, and really doesn't matter when it comes to criticism of the game.

Alienous

This.... so much THIS.

Who are you quoting? Who are you talking about?

People have opinions. I can look at a texture and think "Hmm, that looks bad" without being able to produce a better texture myself, and without having to dwell on the fact that a probably talented texture artist was stretched for time. And I can do the same with a segment of a game's story. Just think of it as the opposite of praising something.

Why do I even bother coming here?

I feel Uncharted 4 has the strongest thematic consistency in its storytelling.

The way it employs parallels to illustrate the different lives of characters, the different choices, the struggles in the character's moments. The epilogue's opening moments is amplified by the prologue's opening moments. How people struggle with obsession, find balance in their lives, and the payoff of the decisions made by all the characters throughout the game, and throughout the series makes the ending work.

The ending could've have been different. But for the ending to be different and be as strong as the actual ending is, I feel like the story itself also needs to be different unless you want the message of the game to be "history repeats itself, nothing fucking changes because."

To the whole "fanfiction" statement, I'll just say this.

Of course a fanfiction writer can come up with that ending. Coming up with endings, good, bad, super happy, super grimdark, plot tweest or no plot tweest is like the easiest thing to make.

Coming up with an ending that pairs back to different parts of the story to highlight how far the characters have come, how there are repeated story beats from the prologue, Chapter 4, 16 that reflect back to the epilogue, how it all showcase different facets of why they're the way they are.... those are hard.

Depending on what you feel the outcome should be, the ending is subjective. It's not an objectively "good" or "bad" thing, it depends on your interpretation of how the character story arc should've ended.

However, it is a very well crafted ending that employs the rule of three very well in its limited gameplay moments and environmental storytelling. The choice of the direction for the story to lead to that ending may not be up your alley, but I think qualitatively, it's hard to deny it's well written.

valkyre

Outside observers (including myself) will always feel that making games is much easier than it actually is.

It's the same way reading anywhere on internet people shit on games for being slightly flawed in their mind in one way or another.

The assumption that developers have not though of several ways to tackle the same problem or create a gameplay scenario or do any gameplay mechanics at all is infuriating, I agree. These guys for the most part work their butts off and have to work within a system that pleases their publishers, which can sometimes make the whole job even harder.

People have to let go of that attitude, I agree.

Precisely.

You see the problem is that some folk express themselves in a manner like this: "oh look, the platforming is trash, like it requires no skill at all" , without ever thinking what they criticize thoroughly.

You want to make platforming skill based in an Uncharted game? Ok cool, but lets think this through, lets think how much the entire design of the game will be affected by something like this. For the example I gave, platforming is not skill based because it is an essential part of the combat! Game was designed with this in mind to make you do crazy action stunts during combat.

And you want to make this hard and skilled based? Do you realize just how much combat will change because of this? How frustrating platforming will become during combat? You have to change the entire concept of Uncharted encounters, the level design, everything. We are talking about a whole new game here.

You think ND didnt try to make climbing skill based at some point during the development of entire series? I bet they did, but they ended up hating the end result.

Game development is a pretty complex process and requires meticulous planning and testing, rather than the average know-it-all smartass attitude that a lot of people express in hindsight.

Criticism is fine, but people should stop acting as if they are some kind of Master storytellers, or game designers or programmers... most of you are pretty faaar away from that and there is a reason why you dont make games and they do.

Just ask "how would it could be better?" And go from there. And you're better off not taking offense to someone sounding to you like they think they know better — unless they're outright and seriously saying they would do a better job, whether someone sounds that way is subjective, and really doesn't matter when it comes to criticism of the game.

When it comes to people saying "Uncharted 4 doesn't have vertical gameplay" you know something is up. It's happened already. People will rely on objectively false statements to degrade a game when there are plenty of genuinely more legitimate concerns.

There's plenty to criticize about Uncharted, some people just choose to rely on pettier or false statements to "raise" their case.

Also stuff like "the gunplay is bad" is just cheap drive-by stuff. I could say Binary Domain sucks at shooting too, but I'd hope no one would believe that.

And this isn't exclusive to Uncharted defending either from me. I'd defend games like MGS which have "different" or eccentric gameplay all the same. People can call those games' gameplay "shit" or whatever but I'd prefer to see receipts and some good reasoning as to "why" its so shit.

valkyre

People have opinions. I can look at a texture and think "Hmm, that looks bad" without being able to produce a better texture myself, and without having to dwell on the fact that a probably talented texture artist was stretched for time. And I can do the same with a segment of a game's story. Just think of it as the opposite of praising something.

I am talking about hundreds of individuals here. Yes. Hundreds.

You look at a bad texture and you say a simple : " my God that texture sucks". But perhapls you dont know the entire picture why that texture sucks ass. Perhaps its not some stretched texture artist at work, maybe its due to the fact that there was no other way around it. Maybe its the kind of compromise required for the game to run all these things it does on screen.

You can comment however you want regarding a storyline, but be mindful that those folk have been thinking about the story for years before making the decisions they took. I am not saying they are never wrong, I am just saying that people are -most of the times- not thinking with the bigger picture in mind.

Also, I hate arrogant folk who present their opinions as facts. I detest this practice, i hate for example "opinions" like: "lmao, platforming sucks ass, this is trash".

foxbeldin

Also, I hate arrogant folk who present their opinions as facts. I detest this practice, i hate for example "opinions" like: "lmao, platforming sucks ass, this is trash".

Worst offenders are the ones using the word "garbage". Stop using that word ffs, it's garbage.

So this is why Elena reminds Drake to take out the trash...

It's on a post-it-note above the recycling bin at the front door in their house lol.

Ascenion

In this case technically you can. It's very hard to call an ending objectively bad, which is why safe is being used. It's all open to interpretation. Imo the epilogue just made it worse. They did say it would be divisive and it seems to be. I just think it's another case of misleading marketing ala Halo 5, coupled with questionable pacing.

Top Bottom