• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Flandy

What should I select for audio output?
I have my ps4 outputting via optical to my DAC/AMP which then goes to my Sennheiser HD700. I'm assuming stereo headphones?

DNAbro

Just finished the game. It is a very good game. Liked The Last of Us better but still great. Liked it better than Uncharted 2 as well. Currently my GOTY, though the only competition it has for me currently is Ratchet and Clank.

kgtrep

In the middle of chapter 11 now, and will save the rest for tomorrow.

Playing stealth has never been more fun and suspenseful, and I liked the moments when I feared for Nate and Sam
graphically losing an arm by sticking it into the hole
(Chapter 9 or 10?), even though you know there are still more chapters to come and thus they have to be all right.

leng jai

One of the problems with the shoot outs early on is that only rifle you have is the AK47 most of the time which is awful. Once you get the Mettler and sniper rifle it's a lot better.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Holy fuck, this game is the best looking thing I have seen. The faces and animation are fantastic. The tall grass/flowers are stunning to walk through.

Good to know. Moderate it is!

Imma gonna go ahead and contradict that man and say go with Hard. Combat has been so much more intense on Hard, and I have to do my best to utilize all the mechanics to survive.

--

Up to Chapter 12, just past the E3 setpiece and Elena confrontation. Feels like the Uncharted game they were always trying to make. Everybody is better now. The combat design, the sound design, the graphics, the characterization and dialog, the traversal, the puzzles, the controls, and I just played through the best set piece in the series.

Unless the game just falls off a cliff in the second half on some Dark Souls shit, its gonna be hard to find a more impressive, polished AAA video game this year.

nib95

Banned
One of the problems with the shoot outs early on is that only rifle you have is the AK47 most of the time which is awful. Once you get the Mettler and sniper rifle it's a lot better.

I much prefer the AK, HS, Copperhead etc to the Mettler and mid range Sniper. I find the recoil more manageable, especially with aim assist off.

Made it to Chapter 8 tonight and oh man am I loving every second of this game! It's so much fun, and the environments are awe-inspiring. I took way too many pictures in photomode today.

I can't wait to keep playing tomorrow :)

I don't think they should allow parties in the beginners Playlist.

Both matches tonight were 2:1 pubstomps vs organized teams. Not a good way to get people to want to keep playing.

Animator

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS GAME LOOK SO GOOD!!

Seriously I can't play because I am stopping every two seconds to take a screenshot.

Darksheik

Just reached chapter 8 and I can already say this is my GOTY.
Everything is just outstanding.

Sad that during the working week the time to play is so limited.

Why isn't there a Free For All mode in multiplayer? Did they say anything about it? Will they add it in the future? WTF? FFA was my favorite in U3....

And IDK who said the soundtrack was bad? Anyway, that was wrong. Its utilized to such great effect here. The slowly building tension in that one Rafe/Nadine scene, the call to adventure of the Drake/Sam conversations, the adventurous action cues for when all hell breaks loose, the quiet subdued mood for the traversal/exploration sections.

zsynqx

And IDK who said the soundtrack was bad? Anyway, that was wrong. Its utilized to such great effect here. The slowly building tension in that one Rafe/Nadine scene, the call to adventure of the Drake/Sam conversations, the adventurous action cues for when all hell breaks loose, the quiet subdued mood for the traversal/exploration sections.

Different automatically means bad for some hardcore fans.

Man Naughty Dog sure reuses a lot of their tropes:

-convenient box with wheels to climb out of areas
-leap of faith where partner grabs you
-"gimme a lift"
-the mudslide
-piece of wall breaks as you climb it

xxracerxx

Man Naughty Dog sure reuses a lot of their tropes:

-convenient box with wheels to climb out of areas
-leap of faith where partner grabs you
-"gimme a lift"
-the mudslide
-piece of wall breaks as you climb it

I mean.....yeah. What else do you expect?

KeRaSh

Bow down to the one true queen.

#TeamElena

#TeamWhyNotBoth? :p
Played through the first 7 chapters yesterday and I'm loving everything about this game so far. The graphics are ridiculous, the story is great and the acting is phenomenal.
One thing does bother me, though. Story spoiler up to chapter 4 or 5 I think?

Why does Nate lie to Elena about the trip? I know he promised her to stop with the treasure hunter lifestyle but his brother's life is on the line. I'm sure she'd understand. I would have liked him to acknowledge that and at least justify his lie by saying she would insist on coming with them but he doesn't want to put her in harm's way.

TheXbox

Imma gonna go ahead and contradict that man and say go with Hard. Combat has been so much more intense on Hard, and I have to do my best to utilize all the mechanics to survive.

--

Up to Chapter 12
Like I said, late in the game is when you'll start to feel it. Easily the weakest parts of the game are when it traps you in a room to fight waves of snipers and bullet sponge minigun guys without a lot of options for traversal. Some dicy checkpoints in there as well. I got UC1/3 vibes in those spots, and not in a good way.

Meciu

It's mine finally! Played a bit yesteday and I'm in love. I'm a bit worried about my console though. Bought it day one and it was always loud but with this game the noise level is on a whole another level!

Like I said, late in the game is when you'll start to feel it. Easily the weakest parts of the game are when it traps you in a room to fight waves of snipers and bullet sponge minigun guys without a lot of options for traversal. Some dicy checkpoints in there as well. I got UC1/3 vibes in those spots, and not in a good way.

I guess we'll see. So far, I cant imagine the game being more fun on Normal, breezing through the more sparsely paced combat encounters like they werent nothing.

xxracerxx

Why does Nate lie to Elena about the trip? I know he promised her to stop with the treasure hunter lifestyle but his brother's life is on the line. I'm sure she'd understand. I would have liked him to acknowledge that and at least justify his lie by saying she would insist on coming with them but he doesn't want to put her in harm's way.
This bothered me as well, but I don't even think Elena knows about Sam.

#TeamWhyNotBoth? :p
Played through the first 7 chapters yesterday and I'm loving everything about this game so far. The graphics are ridiculous, the story is great and the acting is phenomenal.

Because they couldn't think of any other way to cause a big melodramatic confrontation between Nathan and Elena at the halfway mark, only for them to inevitably make up once again near the end, Im sure.

Definitely the most hokey and contrived story element in UC4, and it sticks out since a lot of works so well.

My only gripe with the soundtrack so far is like it's a little low on volume... other than that, it's great!

tookhster

Chapter 6 plothole/question:

Rafe was able to recognize Sully out of the blue in a large crowd but not Sam dressed up as a waiter?

Go into the options, audio, turn down everything a few notches except music, turn up your volume on TV/Speakers and problem solved.

Better yet, invest in PS Gold headset, download the UC4 Companion App profile, enjoy the crystal clear conversations, accurate footsteps of enemy soldiers in stealth, and powerful sound design between the music, explosions, and gun fire.

kanuuna

Finished the game last night with 15 hours (two sessions) or so played on Hard. I'm glad I stopped watching media they put out of the game after the first E3 demo (the short version) - left room for some surprises.

I really liked 2 and 3, but this is easily the best Uncharted game. Huge step up in pretty much every department. Sounds great (a huge leap forward from PS3 era), Henry Jackman's score is really good, the game looks terrific (understatement) and it just plays well. Good pacing, too - even if I was feeling a little fatigued during the few climbing sections.

One thing I feel like deserves a special shoutout is the casting. Young Sam and Rafe in particular. Just really good cast all around.

Better yet, invest in PS Gold headset, download the UC4 Companion App profile, enjoy the crystal clear conversations, accurate footsteps of enemy soldiers in stealth, and powerful sound design between the music, explosions, and gun fire.

I do have that set up, still think the music is kinda low... but it's great.

TripOpt55

Man. Just enjoying this so much so far. The setup for the story has been excellent. Seems to be going in the exact right direction after where things left off in Uncharted 3. And the dialogue is just superb. Nate and Elena's first scene together is perfect. I loved it so much. Was a little lacking in quality encounters, but I just crossed a couple I really liked and assume it will pick up more soon in that regard. Wonderful game so far. Having a blast. Wish I could play more, but need some sleep. Going to be another long day at work waiting to get back to this one!

Just finished Chapter 2. Probably already brought up, but I just realized this! At the beginning of Uncharted 1, right before the boat is attacked by pirates, Elena asks Nate if they should call the authorities, and he tells her they don't have a permit. "Which is worse?" she asks, and Nate responds with "obviously you've never been in a Panamanian prison before."

D23

Made it to chapter 5 and I had to forced myself to stop playing. My goodness I'm witnessing something special here. Wow. Naughty Dog... I bow

TheXbox

I guess we'll see. So far, I cant imagine the game being more fun on Normal, breezing through the more sparsely paced combat encounters like they werent nothing.
They become less sparse. They're not super trashy or impossible, they just sap the momentum. In a game where the pacing is so crucial, I'm not sure you want that on a first playthrough.

The bidding at the auction had me dying. 😂😂😂

Had to stop playing. Soo many beautiful environments and wanted to wait for the photo mode patch to download

Neiteio

I have that headset, but what's this app about? It enhances the in-game sound?

Superflat

Got home at 7:30, reached chapter 8 and calling it a night.

Man I feel rusty. I was dying and doing stupid shit in the early battle sections lol. And everyone wasn't kidding when they said it's a slow gradual ramp to the action. Reminds me of TLOU, but this is easily longer; can't wait till I'm in the thick of it and being a harbinger of death again.

MattyG

Banned
I'm 9 hours in and on chapter
This feels like a much longer game than the rest.

I started out kind of iffy on it in the very beginning, but the last few chapters have made it my favorite in the series, and I haven't even finished. I won't post any specifics now because I'd rather save it for when I'm finished, but... whoa, damn this is GOOOOOD.

Tetraeon

Went balls deep and got a PS4 just to play this. 4 hours in... I made a good decision. Probably going to pick up a few other exclusives as well.

Skux

I'm playing on normal. I like a little buffer to let me do cool Hollywood shit without dying in a hail of bullets each time.

Top Bottom