• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

dc89

U4meleefinish.gif

Anybody able to pull this kick move? I played through the whole game without triggering it at all.

I have. In Chapter 2.

Gunplay is such a massive step up from past games it's not even comparable.

For real, but I'm mostly delighting in the fact that it's possible to go back into stealth and otherwise distract enemies/have them lose you. As someone who prefers a mix of stealth and shooting, getting to switch back and forth basically at-will is amazing even if it kinda removes a lot of difficulty.

Peterthumpa

Jesus Christ. I swear to God that there's no game that I've tried on my rig at 4k that looks as clean and as good as Uncharted 4. This is the best looking game ever, period.

Hystzen

The fact it takes roughly 1-2 hours before a gun fight makes this game better then rest already. The pacing is better and has the balls to takes it time setting up

Finished the game. (Tagged the impressions about ending even if there are no spoilers)

This is, without a doubt, the best Uncharted in the series. It is the second best Naughty Dog game as well.

The game is insane. I mean really. The technical wizardary that is going on during some of the more mind blowing set pieces is nothing short of amazing. I mean seriously, if you guys think that after seeing PSX, E3 and the Magascar section, you have seen everything, it isn't even close. Some of the set pieces that are in the game blow Uncharted 2-3 out of the water. I was a bit disappointed to hear from the early impressions that there aren't that many "bombastic" set pieces but holy crap, some of the dynamic sequences are out of this world. Naughty Dog does it again!

I do have some minor qualms though, which doesn't make it a perfect game for me. Firstly, the beginning is a bit slow and it takes a few chapters until it starts properly. Secondly, the ending was kind of a let down to me.
But it is typical hollywood ending so maybe others will enjoy it. I dunno.
Leaving aside the slow opening and the ending, the game has the perfect pacing and the best gameplay in a third person shooter. It dwarfs the recent games like ROTR and QB (I played both) and I feel it is hard to go back to them after playing UC4.

The story in TLOU was exceptional. Never before I have seen such story writing in a video game. Unfortunately can't say the same for Uncharted 4. But again, The Last of Us was just something extraordinary and had everything going for it. Uncharted 4 had a troubled history with the juggling between directors and it is a remarkable achievement that Naughty Dog has managed to turn around the game into something that is easily a masterpiece, and well deserving of the "game of the generation" label.

Persona7

Banned
Picking this up at redbox tomorrow so I can see amy hennig's contributions as she was the director of this game for over two years.

truth411

The fact it takes roughly 1-2 hours before a gun fight makes this game better then rest already. The pacing is better and has the balls to takes it time setting up

Agreed, it really builds up nicely. Also I can't believe what I'm seeing!!! This game is gorgeous!!! I'm only in chapter 6 so far.

Evo X

For anyone running a large high end 5.1 home theater system, what are the recommended audio settings for dynamic range? Is maximum the best?

Holy hell...I played the first 5 chapters last night and this game is unbelievable.
And this is from someone who played but didn't particularly like the first 3.

Its going to take something special to beat this for GOTY

Ethelwulf

Anyone with a EU copy (spanish preferably) could confirm if the game supports English? I'm living in Spain at the moment but I would like to play it in english.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It actually reminded me of UC3 which also took awhile to actually give you a gun.

Though hopefully this game doesn't take a giant shit on its own face like that did.

Anyone with a EU copy (spanish preferably) could confirm if the game supports English? I'm living in Spain at the moment but I would like to play it in english.
It has English and a ton of other languages. I have a Region 2 copy but not sure if Spain gets its own print and disc version.

Not even close :/
Huh? I did the kick move multiple times. But like I said, it is dynamic so not sure which sequence triggers it. The surrounding environment plays a part too.

mabec

The first 5 chapters are really good (exluding one of them)
Also i expected a sexy ass coming in to this thread, where is it??

Lingitiz

The intro chapters are really slow and long but ultimately necessary. I found myself wanting to get to some action already, but the way they flesh out all the new characters and set the mood and tone is perfect and warranted.

Frankly if it wasn't so slow in the beginning there would probably be a ton of complaints about underdeveloped characters and Sam feeling shoehorned in.

Thanks. It gets its own print yeah... called Uncharted4: El desenlace del ladrón. Do you think it supports english?
I doubt they will press another disc especially for Spain just to strip other languages from a region 2 copy. I am sure that your copy will have the same version as the rest of the EU region.

kerrak

For anyone running a large high end 5.1 home theater system, what are the recommended audio settings for dynamic range? Is maximum the best?

Higher dynamic range means volume reaches higher and lower volumes. If your system (and your wife / neighbours) can handle those, go for it.
At night, i found it's better to use reduced dynamic range.

I meant That I couldn't don't not even close

I play the game way too safe by taking cover most of the time+ stealth :p
That is the best part man. I mean we can go stealth, go all psycho or just skip the encounters all together. We have complete freedom in how to tackle some of the combat encounters.

The intro chapters are really slow and long but ultimately necessary. I found myself wanting to get to some action already, but the way they flesh out all the new characters and set the mood and tone is perfect and warranted.

Frankly if it wasn't so slow in the beginning there would probably be a ton of complaints about underdeveloped characters and Sam feeling shoehorned in.

Yeah I really enjoyed the intro.

Finished it on moderate in 16 hours with quite a bit of exploration.

Don't really wanna type a wall of text here right now, but here's what I thought. This is the sort of game that pushes the industry forward and raises the bar for everyone else, while also raising expectations to ridiculous levels.

Uncharted 4 is an absolute triumph in emotional storytelling, action gameplay, and cinematic presentation.

I am greek, i have an EU copy and the game has at least 10 languages, including Spanish

EDIT:
Thanks. It gets its own print yeah... called Uncharted4: El desenlace del ladrón. Do you think it supports english?

We also have greek print called Uncharted 4: Το τέλος ενός κλέφτη but the retailer that I got it here, gave me a copy with the english title and back cover.

So maybe it depends?I don't know

Brine

I clearly missed an extra area in Madagascar but I went too far and hit a point of no return, damn it

I would restart the level but too impatient for that, guess I'll replay eventually

nib95

Banned
I don't agree that the third act was bloated, or at least in my first play through it never felt that way. Then again I did break mine up in to multiple play sessions. Perhaps if I'd completed the game in just one or two sittings I'd have felt differently. If anything I thought the third act was pretty action packed and full of great set piece moments and new locations. It's the beginning I thought was the slowest in the game, but even then it's not Last of Us slow. There's still lots of entertaining and energetic things sprinkled in.

Yeah, I love that aspect as well. Really can't wrap my head around the "slow to start" criticism that the Kotaku review leveled at it.

SilentRob

Holy hell...I played the first 5 chapters last night and this game is unbelievable.
And this is from someone who played but didn't particularly like the first 3.

Its going to take something special to beat this for GOTY

I find this really interesting, could you elaborate further? Because the first third of the game felt very much like Uncharted 2 and 3 to me, without much in the way of new mechanics or ideas. You stealthed, you shot, you climbed, exactly like you already did in U2, just a whole lot prettier. At least that was my experience.

I think this is what people tend to misunderstand about the "slow to start" criticism. It's not about the lack of shooting, not at all. However, it takes
chapters until Uncharted 4 actually does something new with the series. Until then it was a great sequel without any original ideas - it honestly kind of bored me, since, yeah, it was fun, but I played this exact game 7 years ago already and Naughty Dog proved to me with The Last of Us they can do so much more. I just expect more from them than a copy of what they already did almost a decade ago.

A little later in the game they actually start delivering, but until that point it's very much a by-the-numbers affair.

Is there anywhere we can post screenshots? I'm assuming the spoiler thread? I fucking love taking screenshots in Naughty Dog games so much. I'll literally spend 30 minutes blowing through a level, and then another 30 minutes standing on some cliffs trying to get the angle and tilt and saturation just right for a nice shot.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Finished Ch 11 and calling it in for the night

Jesus, the closing cutscene of this chapter really makes you recognize how great the facial animations are now

I dunno if I can go back to looking at the other games now

Top Bottom