• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

aravuus

And finished. Great experience, definitely not without its flaws, but absolutely my favorite Naughty Dog game and one of the rare single-player shooter campaigns I actually enjoyed playing. Might even replay it at some point (!!). Could have been like 3-4 chapters shorter, though. Things started getting repetitive during the last fourth.

Not gonna write a wall of text since I've been posting my thoughts here and there already, but I will say that from the perspective of someone who's not really a fan of the series, and on top of that, played the games for the first time just recently, I don't know about that ending. Long time hardcore fans will love it, but I thought it was far too long and unnecessary. There were like 3 or 4 times during the final chapter and epilogue I went "okay, THIS is where it ends" and it didn't and it started showing more stuff I didn't need to see and I just groaned.

As a whole, though, great package! Took me 14 hours on medium, I was afraid I didn't get enough treasure to unlock some of the game play modifiers, but thankfully it looks like I was wrong. Next I'm gonna jump into MP, hope it's fun.

Bioshocker

I'm going to try and take my time wih this. Started chapter 6 yesterday, so impressed with how far ND have taken this series since the first game.

Lacix

I was able to levitate. :-D (hit the button for the grappling hook)
8q7tGq6.gif

wouwie

I'm currently sitting at work and all i can think about is continuing Uncharted 4 tonight. Also, i look forward to visiting the various screenshot threads once i'm done with the game. I imagine a lot of great photos have and will be taken from this game.

Slaythe

Just finished it.

Brilliant.

Absolutely loved the pacing, not relying on action over and over like the past games.

Loved the narration, loved the exploration, the optional stuff, the characters, the puzzles were easy but decent, and the balance of action exploration and story was perfect.

It truly felt like an adventure, unlike some of the past games where it felt like a shooter with occasional random puzzle once in a while.

My mind got blown with a certain pirate easter egg.
Guybrush !!!

I feel satisfied with this game and it's a great conclusion really.

Was walking by GameStop yesterday and impulse bought this.

Played through Chapter 4.

A few thoughts:

I've really only played Uncharted 2 before in this series and didn't love it. Felt a little TOO linear, and the dialogue seemed stilted and forced. Most of the quips and banter were leaden I felt. Liked the writing in TLoU well enough, and the pacing was better too I thought. So far, Uncharted 4 is somewhere in between 2 and TLoU in writing I think. Characters come off as mostly believable. Good dynamic between Nate and Sam. The domestic life scene in Chapter 4 didn't really work for me though. Felt like community repertory theatre or something, not very believable chemistry,
came off to me like a teenager's idea what married life is like, and it was difficult for me to get a sense of what actually holds Nate and Elena together.
The big Easter egg that folks are so excited about did nothing for me -
never played Crash, and it didn't make sense for the character to be a fan I didn't think. Just felt awkward and forced for the purpose of ND acolyte fan service.

The graphics really are impressive. Remarkably consistent and pretty so far. Environments are probably the best I've seen (though I'm already disappointed there's no day/night cycle - contributes to the sense that you're in a very pretty but static diorama). Character animation is impressively detailed, and sometimes leaps right over the uncanny valley. Still something weird about face movements though, sometimes look like a talented character actor acting with a latex mask of his face on over his real face. Body movements can be incredibly natural, but at times suddenly look robotic or marionette like - think the issue here is that the joints connecting limbs to torso don't have the smooth verisimilitude of the other joints and this is amplified by the clothing physics. Find it particularly noticeable with shoulders. Think in 3 or 4 years this is going to look dated compared to ND's next game, where some games aiming for less perfect realism may be less impressive but age better. Still, sometimes all comes together in a scene and you feel you're watching real actors, which is cool.

Game takes its time getting going. I like the chance to get to know the characters, and I thought chapter 3 and the early parts of chapter 4 were almost masterful in how they let you think about Nate's past, and how it probably affects him in the present. But the action up through 4 is way too linear. Feels like a prescribed obstacle course with periodic qtes. Climb the ledges, every 5th crumbles, press triangle to pick up the box, etc. I know it's partly tutorial. But I don't feel so far that I've actually played a game. Most of it might as well have been cutscenes. On the topic of climbing,
young Nate is unbelievably good at climbing. Like he should be competing in the adult division of ninja warrior or something.
The melee so far is odd too I think, nice contextual animations, but feel little connection between what my hands are doing on the controller and what Nate is doing.

Music is bleh, real middle of the road big budget Hollywood style, and doesn't seem to do anything to highlight or bring out what may be unique about the game, setting, characters.

I'll certainly keep playing, and I'm eager to see how the game opens up. Right now though, my enjoyment has been appreciation of the technical showcase more than anything else. Curious if I'll end up feeling more attached to the characters than I did in 2. As I noted, there's a chance, as the writing is noticeably better, at least in parts.

Reading this it comes off pretty negative, but I'm not hating my time so far or anything. This game just comes preloaded with a huge amount of hype and for this interested outsider it hasn't lived up yet.

Slaythe

Was walking by GameStop yesterday and impulse bought this.

Played through Chapter 4.

A few thoughts:

I've really only played Uncharted 2 before in this series and didn't love it. Felt a little TOO linear, and the dialogue seemed stilted and forced. Most of the quips and banter were leaden I felt. Liked the writing in TLoU well enough, and the pacing was better too I thought. So far, Uncharted 4 is somewhere in between 2 and TLoU in writing I think. Characters come off as mostly believable. Good dynamic between Nate and Sam. The domestic life scene in Chapter 4 didn't really work for me though. Felt like community repertory theatre or something, not very believable chemistry,
came off to me like a teenager's idea what married life is like, and it was difficult for me to get a sense of what actually holds Nate and Elena together.
The big Easter egg that folks are so excited about did nothing for me -
never played Crash, and it didn't make sense for the character to be a fan I didn't think. Just felt awkward and forced for the purpose of ND acolyte fan service.

The graphics really are impressive. Remarkably consistent and pretty so far. Environments are probably the best I've seen (though I'm already disappointed there's no day/night cycle - contributes to the sense that you're in a very pretty but static diorama). Character animation is impressively detailed, and sometimes leaps right over the uncanny valley. Still something weird about face movements though, sometimes look like a talented character actor acting with a latex mask of his face on over his real face. Body movements can be incredibly natural, but at times suddenly look robotic or marionette like - think the issue here is that the joints connecting limbs to torso don't have the smooth verisimilitude of the other joints and this is amplified by the clothing physics. Find it particularly noticeable with shoulders. Think in 3 or 4 years this is going to look dated compared to ND's next game, where some games aiming for less perfect realism may be less impressive but age better. Still, sometimes all comes together in a scene and you feel you're watching real actors, which is cool.

Game takes its time getting going. I like the chance to get to know the characters, and I thought chapter 3 and the early parts of chapter 4 were almost masterful in how they let you think about Nate's past, and how it probably affects him in the present. But the action up through 4 is way too linear. Feels like a prescribed obstacle course with periodic qtes. Climb the ledges, every 5th crumbles, press triangle to pick up the box, etc. I know it's partly tutorial. But I don't feel so far that I've actually played a game. Most of it might as well have been cutscenes. On the topic of climbing,
young Nate is unbelievably good at climbing. Like he should be competing in the adult division of ninja warrior or something.
The melee so far is odd too I think, nice contextual animations, but feel little connection between what my hands are doing on the controller and what Nate is doing.

Music is bleh, real middle of the road big budget Hollywood style, and doesn't seem to do anything to highlight or bring out what may be unique about the game, setting, characters.

I'll certainly keep playing, and I'm eager to see how the game opens up. Right now though, my enjoyment has been appreciation of the technical showcase more than anything else. Curious if I'll end up feeling more attached to the characters than I did in 2. As I noted, there's a chance, as the writing is noticeably better, at least in parts.

Reading this it comes off pretty negative, but I'm not hating my time so far or anything. This game just comes preloaded with a huge amount of hype and for this interested outsider it hasn't lived up yet.

Lmao.

You're in for a treat if you think the first chapters are representative of the game.

AFCA

Neo Member
only thing this game's missing is tlou's brick or bottle. i love the sneaking around, either of those tools would've been welcomed but i guess it would've made the game too easy to stealth through

use your grenades as a distraction ;)

this sort of feels like MGS4 where Kojima crammed all this info and exposition into it because he was trying to end the franchise.

Ok so it's not just me then. The first ~5-6 chapters definitely brought MGS4 to mind. Lots of fan service, lots of cutscenes, and slow pacing. I'd almost call it a slow burn if not for those few moments of intensity to break it up a bit. I was impressed by how fluidly they navigated through that many scenarios and locations in a few hours, but I'm not sure how that whole thing will hold up when replaying the game.

But to be fair they followed all that up with Chapter 8 which was probably the longest chapter I've played in an Uncharted title and almost wall to wall rockclimbing and shooting.

number11

How important is the story in this? I've never played 1-2, and I barely remember the story from 3. Should I play the first 3 games first?

Skux

Chapter 10 is so huge that
there's a completely optional combat encounter. I spotted it, bailed, and finished the chapter without even doing it.

How important is the story in this? I've never played 1-2, and I barely remember the story from 3. Should I play the first 3 games first?

A few easter eggs and references will fly over your head but the story is self contained and introduces everyone you need to know.

nib95

Banned
Damn Crushing is a lot more adrenaline inducing lol. Feels a lot more realistic, and the AI not only spot you pretty much instantaneously, but are far more effective with flanking and putting on the pressure. In the ballroom fight I straight ran out of ammo and was risking life and limb just to roll in and out of cover to pick up scraps lol. All the while these shotgun dudes straight obliterating what little cover I had scattered about. Luckily the main pillars etc stay in tact, mostly lol. Great fun. Stealth is also so much more tense.

valkyre

Jesus Christ I reached
Madagascar
and I simply cant believe my eyes...

This is the best looking game I have ever seen no matter the format...

This is absolutely stunning I just cant fathom this is what a PS4 can do given the proper talent and resources...

The first 3 games let you get closer to the characters .
But story wise you don't need to play them to play 4 .
If you do plan to play them do it before playing 4 because IMO it hard to go back .

leng jai

Theoretically speaking maximum dynamic range should be the best but I've never liked that setting in ND's games. It makes most things too soft and then the explosions are super loud. For most people medium is probably the best option, especially if you're using TV speakers or the like.

Robiin

It's a testament to the game that even though I am free from work today, I am not allowed to play because my girlfriend isn't home. She has watched everything so far, and she is a far cry from a gamer. Dark Souls makes her bored, fighting games she hates, but these types of games are her jam. She has too many problems controlling the camera in 3D games to play herself, (even though she did beat Tomb Raider 2013 on easy!) but she enjoys watching.

The only other games this has happened with were Until Dawn (she loves horror movies) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (because she likes Lara Croft and played the first one).

My own opinion so far (up to the beginning of Chapter 8), I love it. It controls so well which is a first for Uncharted in my opinion, it looks fantastic and the dialouge and delivery so far is in a class of it's own when it comes to games. However, I hope it opens up soon because the story is getting going but I'm feeling restricted by the gameplay because it has been very linear. I hope it's just a slow opener!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
When people ask "how far am I?" I assume they are really enjoying the game.

Btw the first 11 chapters prepare you for the batshit insane chapters from 12 - the end. I was underwhelmed early on too but the pacing after chapter 11 is incredible.

nib95

Banned
Theoretically speaking maximum dynamic range should be the best but I've never liked that setting in ND's games. It makes most things too soft and then the explosions are super loud. For most people medium is probably the best option, especially if you're using TV speakers or the like.

I'm using the T1's set to Studio Reference (I find it better than the Stereo Headphones option, even though it's meant for speakers) with my angle set to 65 degrees to match the angled drivers in the headphones. This way I do get greater volume differences as you mentioned, but I find the soundstage is a little wider with specific sounds better separated. On medium it's almost like everything is at the forefront. Give it a go and let me know your thoughts, since I know you also have the T1's and HD800's.

maverick40

This is my first Uncharted and sweet baby Jesus it is great. Only at chapter 6 (just finished my first session with it) and the flow between gameplay and cinematics is delicious. I would usually find that balance infuriating in just about any other game but the characterisations are superb and I genuinely want to learn about the people and places involved. I worried I would never feel that investment like I did when playing The Last of Us but now I have hope. Bravo ND!

Loved it when
Sam says, "Here's how I got out of prison" and you are transported there to play it out. Felt so seamless, no rushing with exposition or what not, just spinnng a good tale.

Why did you jump in on the final game in the series? Seems odd to me

leng jai

I'm using the T1's set to Studio Reference (I find it better than the Stereo Headphones option, even though it's meant for speakers) with my angle set to 65 degrees to match the angled drivers in the headphones. This way I do get greater volume differences as you mentioned, but I find the soundstage is a little wider with specific sounds better separated. On medium it's almost like everything is at the forefront. Give it a go and let me know your thoughts, since I know you also have the T1's and HD800's.

I haven't played as much as you and half the time I've even using a 2.1 speaker setup. I didn't change the angle settings but I during the beta that using 5.1 as the setting with headphones actually seems to increase the soundstage significantly. Medium as you said makes everything sound loud which I in some ways prefer since maximum seems to make some of the ambient sounds too soft. I've only tried it on the HD800s but I'll see what changing the angles does.

It's awesome that ND includes all the options for us to tinker with, even if most people don't really know what each does.

Gurish

I got through he tutorial and opening story which lead to the very cinematic intro. Had to stop right as the main game starts.

Observations:

-The story telling is very cinematic and engaging thus far
-best looking game on consoles at the moment, even better than the order (but not by much) IMO.
-controls feel better than previous uncharted titles
-smoothest 30 fps game ever. this coming from a predominantly PC gamer who games on a high end rig
-

Better looking than The Order with this scale and physics and animations at full 1080P is by MUCH, it's almost like a technical miracle even.

Oh and the superior art style imo and varied locations push it even more it's no contest, no game on PS4 touch this.

You are just at the beginning, visuals gets even better.

Lylo

Wow, this game is impressive! I have a powerfull computer, but i can't think of any game that looks better then Uncharted 4 on PS4, vídeos don't do it justice. I think the game is worth the Money just for the eye candy, but it is also a very enjoyable experience, mainly if you are a Uncharted or ND games fan in general.

nib95

Banned
I haven't played as much as you and half the time I've even using a 2.1 speaker setup. I didn't change the angle settings but I during the beta that using 5.1 as the setting with headphones actually seems to increase the soundstage significantly. Medium as you said makes everything sound loud which I in some ways prefer since maximum seems to make some of the ambient sounds too soft. I've only tried it on the HD800s but I'll see what changing the angles does.

It's awesome that ND includes all the options for us to tinker with, even if most people don't really know what each does.

Agreed. Though unlike you I prefer using my T1's for games. I find the HD800 lacking a touch in the mid bass, and they almost make things sound too wide at times. But give Studio Reference (default maximum) with angle set to 65 degrees a go and let me know your thoughts.

I actually tested a whole bunch of settings by walking or rolling on different materials, with different tracks and instruments playing in the background etc, and found that to be the best balance. Again, with the T1. Might need an angle tweak for the HD800, haven't tested with those as thoroughly.

Played only 5 chapters so far but I'm really loving the game. I'm especially enjoying the slower pace and loved the chapter 4 "normal life" which was something very different for the series. This has to be one of the best looking games I've ever played and sometimes I just stop to admire the views. The story hooked me in from the start and can't wait to play more. I've a feeling I haven't seen nothing yet. This has a real potential to be the best of the series for me.

broony

Can someone remind me what the melee controls are for fist fights? I have gone through some in the game and didn't get any tutorial prompts.

As I remember it from previous games, square to attack, triangle to counter. What else?

nib95

Banned
Can someone remind me what the melee controls are for fist fights? I have gone through some in the game and didn't get any tutorial prompts.

As I remember it from previous games, square to attack, triangle to counter. What else?

I don't think there's a counter button any more. It's square to attack, triangle to get out of grabs or precarious instances, and circle to dodge roll away from attacks.

Henry Jackman was a good choice for what they're going for. It's less flamboyant and grand, but more dynamic and intense. Edmonson had a really pulp feel to his music for the first three games, but this one isn't going for that all all.

Agree, the opening credits is suvh a fan service and the music, so good!

Tainted

A certain little nugget I remembered in my playthrough:

In Chapter 8 when they are
searching the tombstones and discover one of them had the wrong years on it

Nate: "Bad Date"
Sam: <Chuckles>

Nice
Indiana Jones
reference there :)

GHG

Gold Member
Guys help. Wtf at the first puzzle with the symbols on the folded paper?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here and I'm being dumb...

Top Bottom