• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Revan

Just finished it.

Managed for once to avoid all spoilers.

All I can say is wow. Simply wow.

Best lookin game I've ever played. Fantastic storytelling. Love the pirate theme.

I gotta let it all sink in but Jesus Christ what a way for Uncharted to end.

Wow.

Edit: I do have a single nitpick - the shooting mechanics and bullet sponging of enemies bothered me a little, but not enough to spoil the experience.

And it's a fucking experience.

Wow.

Ledhead

Just finished. Took me a little over 14 hours. Wow. Just wow. An amazing ending to crown a fantastic game. Uncharted 4 is a love letter to the series and it's characters. I need to process it all, but I haven't been this impacted by a game since the Last of Us. This is why I love gaming

Lace

L7K2c3w.gif

I'm finding a lot of joy playing stealthy in this game.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just made it to chapter 10. Taking my sweet ass time exploring and am mixing stealth and guns blazing right now. I'm turning in early tonight after losing some sleep last night. I don't think I'll be able to finish the SP this week.

You're going to look back a few years from now and realize how silly that comment was. Technology jumps leaps and bounds witha blink of an eye. And what does being 28 have to do with anything. I'm 32 and I know I'm going to look back and say "wow I cant believe this was the best looking thing ever just a few years ago"

The point was that even though I'm still just 28, I can't see myself saying "wow this looks like shit" about Uncharted 4 later on in my life. Graphics will be better no doubt, but not to the point I'll be saying it looks like shit.

DirtyLarry

FTR, I do not get how people can say the enemies in this game are bullet sponges if a headshot is all it takes. One single shot to the head. Dead.
How is that a bullet sponge?
Besides that fact, I think people do not realize how many shots a human body can actually take. Unless of course they are shot in the head. Which again. Dead. Just like the game does.

Took a break somewhere in Chapter 10, but I can't stop thinking about Chapters 8 and 9. They were sooooo good. Like the
ice section with Tenzin
from Uncharted 2 extended to 2 or 2.5 hours with way better shootouts peppered around all the spelunking.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm up to 100 screenshots taken already, too. A few videos mixed in as well of random stuff.

Took a break somewhere in Chapter 10, but I can't stop thinking about Chapters 8 and 9. They were sooooo good. Like the
ice section with Tenzin
from Uncharted 2 extended to 2 or 2.5 hours with way better shootouts peppered around all the spelunking.
I just finished 8 / 9.
The rope swing at the end to the plane where they have guys still shooting at you, I kept swinging until I shot them all. Fuck those guys.

Apathy

sweet found a glitch, got
stuck between the boat and a cliffside. Couldn't swim under the boat to get around it

Mirrintu

Neo Member
I've just started chapter five. The game is absolutely gorgeous and has some of the smoothest gameplay I have ever seen.

I kind of have to adjust my mindset when playing though because it doesn't quite feel like Uncharted and I feel myself getting antsy for the action. I'm in the minority of people who favour the first Uncharted over the others despite its flaws and inferior gameplay. I just love the classic story template and simple action sequences.

I might be totally crazy, but so far I am disappointed in the story for the fourth. The joke is on me though because I know I am hooked either way and won't stop until I play it all the way through! I hope my impression will improve as the game progresses - I see a lot of people really happy about the later chapters :)

1 major disappointment in this game:

it doesn't have supernatural beings/monsters

seriously ND? I was expecting ghosts or pirate skeletons at least and I got non of that

this is really bothering me :/

They never do explain WHY Avery/Tew went so far off the deep end over the treasure. I mean, you can say it was just normal greed, but I don't think normal greed drives you to do the kind of stuff they did to the colony and each other. But then again I've never been that close to, like, a billion dollars either so who knows.

It's a weird point that COULD be seen a supernatural, could not be. Uncharted 3 was the same way, the djinn explanation was just as valid as the water just being toxic.

I kind of have to adjust my mindset when playing though because it doesn't quite feel like Uncharted and I feel myself getting antsy for the action.

Maybe I give the writer's too much credit but I feel like they did this on purpose. It makes you feel like Drake does; restless for that return to what you love. By the time the big shoot outs do start breaking out it's a nice cathartic release.

Griss

A few (
6? Just reached Scotland
) chapters in and so far it's a slow burn. A real slow burn. I can already see that all the pieces are on the board, so I hope they start doing some interesting things with them, because right now the game is taking its time.

So far it hasn't been the generational leap in gameplay I expected at all. Just more of the same old Uncharted, if a little smoother and more polished, and I do feel like it's showing its age. The lack of any real challenge when platforming sticks out like a sore thumb these days - back in 2009 it was something I accepted without thinking.

I was also not that blown away by the visuals, not at first anyway - that is until there's a facial close-up, at which point it's clear that ND is the industry leader at that kind of work. The acting and facial amination are both unbelievable. And the most impressed I was by the visuals other than the characters was
the inside of the auction mansion
with all the reflections etc. That was pretty damn special.

But so far the game is yet to prove to me that it's anything special at all. Plenty of time, I suppose.

Maybe I give the writer's too much credit but I feel like they did this on purpose. It makes you feel like Drake does; restless for that return to what you love. By the time the big shoot outs do start breaking out it's a nice cathartic release.

I don't think you're giving them too much credit at all - it felt intentional to me. The question is whether it's worth it / a good decision.

Just finished.
I generally appreciate it when any franchise ends with the viewer having a good understanding of life after the series. It makes it feel more complete and instead of the viewer wanting more, they feel satisfied- not wondering what could be after it all ends.

valeu

i'm about 5 or 6 chapters in and this is the most quality game i've ever played. it feels like i'm in a good spielberg movie

I was also not that blown away by the visuals, not at first anyway - that is until there's a facial close-up, at which point it's clear that ND is the industry leader at that kind of work. The acting and facial amination are both unbelievable. And the most impressed I was by the visuals other than the characters was
the inside of the auction mansion
with all the reflections etc. That was pretty damn special.

But so far the game is yet to prove to me that it's anything special at all. Plenty of time, I suppose.

Pretty damn special, yet not anything special at all. Very special kind of assessment...

hughesta

Banned
I feel like a large portion of chapters (late game)
17-20
could have been cut completely. Really slowed down the game for me, to the point where it was dragging on and I was ready for it to end. IGN was right about the third act feeling dragged out.

Incredible game overall, though. 9/10 easily, one of the best I've played in years.

Griss

Pretty damn special, yet not anything special at all. Very special kind of assessment...

That was a graphical effect that was special. A reflection effect.

Obviously I'm judging the game itself by a different standard than mere visuals. That's why I said 'the game itself'. I made it clear that so far it's a slow burn with 'more of the same' Uncharted action.

But congrats on being so eager to defend ND that you miss the forest for the trees.

Jamiaro

Continuing from chapter 9 now. I hope this game picks up the pace a bit. Story is fine, but there is SO much climbing and... well, walking! Luckily I started playing on hard, so the few combat-sessions there have been will actually wake me up a bit.

Good game, just hoping that it accelerates a bit.

Bladenic

How do you take videos? I figured out screens but not vids. I feel like I should be taking way more, but that's what replays are for.

mileS

are most people playing with the default control settings? I can't decide on aiming settings at all. Aim assist 1-10 feels all the same and the actual aim sensitivity feels strange when going between 3-5. I've tried going with aim assist 0 for a while but even on normal you tend to get swarmed a lot.

Mirrintu

Neo Member

No, I think you are absolutely right. I had this same thought while I was playing with it. It's like I said with the mindset, I there was just too much excitement leading up to finally starting the game (at least for me) and I need to just calm down and enjoy the ride.

Tubie

Just tried my first multiplayer match and this is actually a lot of fun.

The controls and the gunplay are really good so far.

Slaythe

I think what is so fantastic in this game, is the cutscene transitions to gameplay and vice versa.

It's so seamless.

You never know when to expect epic things or story telling moments because it transitions so well.

Those epic moments into gameplay are just mind blowing.

spyder_ur

I don't know if it's just me but the combat in this game is not clicking for me at all. One problem is I can never really spot enemies or know where they're coming from. I never pull off any of those cool moves that you see in gameplay footage, partially because I'm always getting shot from somewhere. Don't particularly love the stealth either. It's not particularly difficult, just not feeling it. Maybe it'll click in the latter half of the game.

I love everything else about it, though.

On chapter 11.

Not a big fan of the encounter design but I can appreciate how open everything is. I don't know what it is, but this game just isn't clicking for me like how TLoU did and I'm on the 8th* chapter. It isn't a bad game by any means, it's just not Wowing me like most people.

edit: I probably just dislike the combat like the poster above.

ironcreed

Banned
Made it to Madagascar and played a bit before calling it a night. This game is just completely fantastic and is by far the most beautiful game I have ever laid eyes on with ease. Right after The Witcher 3, best game of the gen so far for me.

ebil

Alright, managed to fix my PS4 and finished it. What a way to end the series, I'm impressed. Great game. It's too early to tell if it's my favourite Uncharted but it's definitely up there with 2 and I loved the focus on exploration and traversal.

All of the encounters in the final chapters managed to frustrate me one way or another though, I was happy to be done with it by the time I finished.

Time to do a second playthrough to get the treasures I missed!

I feel like a large portion of chapters (late game)
17-20
could have been cut completely. Really slowed down the game for me, to the point where it was dragging on and I was ready for it to end. IGN was right about the third act feeling dragged out.

Incredible game overall, though. 9/10 easily, one of the best I've played in years.

Seems people either love the pace at the end or not. I loved it. I never felt the game dragged.

RDreamer

Anyone else find it funny when your partner has to try and find something to help you get up, but he's holding a fucking rope the whole time?

The Lamp

From a narrative standpoint it's probably the weakest of the series for one.

It's not complicated. War criminal wants gem and you're trying to find it first.

Where 2 shines is the amazing wit in the script. Damn it, we haven't had something as good as Flynn + Chloe + Nate + Elena since.

Top Bottom