• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

zsynqx

I don't know if it's just me but the combat in this game is not clicking for me at all. One problem is I can never really spot enemies or know where they're coming from. I never pull off any of those cool moves that you see in gameplay footage, partially because I'm always getting shot from somewhere. Don't particularly love the stealth either. It's not particularly difficult, just not feeling it. Maybe it'll click in the latter half of the game.

I love everything else about it, though.

On chapter 11.

Make sure you are marking them.

Gecoma

10 hours in on hard and I haven't even shot 200 people yet (that includes kills before dying & then restarting from a checkpoint) In previous Uncharteds that number would be about 700 by now. I've heard it gets more shooty later but still.

Also climbing the outside of the clock tower and then looking down was the only time I've ever gotten vertigo in a game. Game looked so much like real life.

The Lamp

Is marking more useful than I thought? I haven't found it worth the trouble. I have to aim to use it, which blows my cover. And I mark them. Okay? They all have predictable patrol routes so I can just memorize where they are instead.

icespide

Banned
just finished it. other than a pretty lame final "boss" I am floored. what an amazing experience this was. a master stroke by ND

Some areas are littered with enemies, so marking is useful in keeping tabs on them all. Also, enemies tend to move more when you set off the alert phase.

zsynqx

Is marking more useful tuna I thought? I haven't found it worth the trouble. I have to aim to use it, which blows my cover. And I mark them. Okay? They all have predictable patrol routes so I can just memorize where they are instead.

I usually go loud, but I still mark everyone beforehand as it can get overwhelming. Just pop your head out quickly and tap L3. They won't notice if you are fast.

Sometimes, if I am far enough away I just aim around the area and spam the marking button. :p

Where 2 shines is the amazing wit in the script. Damn it, we haven't had something as good as Flynn + Chloe + Nate + Elena since.

Halfway through Chapter 10 in UC4, I can definitely say I enjoyed the script and pacing of Uncharted 2 more thus far. There's just something going on in that game Naughty Dog hasn't been able to replicate, even with The Last of Us which is arguably better than UC2.

On the other hand, the detail, core mechanics, interaction, and presentation in UC4 are so far beyond what the series was doing before that it's kind of mindblowing. It's so much better to play, watch, and listen to (aside from the soundtrack. UC2 still has the best OST by far) Obviously I still have the entire 2nd half to go, so we'll see where I end up on this.

spyder_ur

Sure, when I start a combat encounter I can mark. But I risk giving away my position because I have to aim the gun at them, correct? So I have to see them anyway. Unless I'm missing something.

And then there are additional waves.

I'm not sure why I'm having trouble identifying enemies in this game; I don't really in others and it feels like a weird problem to have.

Besides, I don't really want to play the game like Deus Ex or MGS. The stealth isn't bad, but it's far from great.

The Lamp

Halfway through Chapter 10 in UC4, I can definitely say I enjoyed the script and pacing of Uncharted 2 more thus far. There's just something going on in that game Naughty Dog hasn't been able to replicate, even with The Last of Us which is arguably better than UC2.

On the other hand, the detail, core mechanics, interaction, and presentation in UC4 is so far beyond what the series was doing before that it's kind of mindblowing. It's so much better to play, watch, and listen to (aside from the soundtrack. UC2 still has the best OST by far) Obviously I still have the entire 2nd half to go, so we'll see where I end up on this.

No no, you're right on ;)

Now that the action has ramped up, I not only don't mind the first 5 chapters, but I welcome them. The game gives you everything, action, story, slow pace, fast pace, emotion, humour.

Chapter 6 is still basically still in the introduction phase.

i think I just dislike the combat of Uncharted when it comes to Campaign. MP is fine and actually a lot of fun, but the gunfights in this just feel so unrewarding and the openness really makes stealth a chore (my favorite playstyle).

I'm not going to quit and hopefully my experience will get better.

Does anyone else have a lot of trouble aiming the guns in Uncharted 4? I usually don't have any issue in other games, including the Last of Us, but I keep screwing up in this one. Maybe it's the sensitivity? So I usually just stealth or run away. Which actually works really well in this game. I beat an entire encounter-heavy chapter without killing anyone,
and I got a trophy for it.

antitrop

Now that the action has ramped up, I not only don't mind the first 5 chapters, but I welcome them. The game gives you everything, action, story, slow pace, fast pace, emotion, humour.

Yeah, I have no problem with the way things are going and the way they've gone. I don't like the puzzles, as always, but there are very few of them, far fewer than Uncharted 3, where they really started to irritate me with their frequency.

I like that I can go 45 minutes to an hour without shooting anyone, because when the combat does come around, they fucking make it count.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Does anyone else have a lot of trouble aiming the guns in Uncharted 4? I usually don't have any issue in other games, including the Last of Us, but I keep screwing up in this one. Maybe it's the sensitivity? So I usually just stealth or run away. Which actually works really well in this game. I beat an entire encounter-heavy chapter without killing anyone,
and I got a trophy for it.
I was having trouble in SP until I turned the sensitivity to 0. I also have aim assist off.

Chapter 10 now. Finally out of that endless, needlessly drawn out spelunking section. The platforming outside of combat is so automated it just doesn't feel very engaging. And I swear, if one more thing breaks while I'm climbing it....

Madagascar is really pretty. Especially if you look toward the volcano. Climb something high and look in the other directions though and it can be quite blah, just a bunch of textureless red and tan with like one big tree.

Jeep handling is solid.

I've enjoyed the cut scene dialogue between the guys, but the banter while exploring is still grating on me. Feels forced, overdone, mostly boring, and a little too up front with the exposition,

Encounters are fun, lots of flexibility in how to approach. Too bad stealth and melee are both so stripped down/dumbed down.

Finally, wtf is going on with Nadine's wildly inconsistent accent? Is she South African? British? Irish? Australian?

BroBot

This game is amazing. Finished the story today. The pacing is slower than UC2 sure, but Naughty Dog really knew what they were doing here. Focusing on story-telling and exploring more than non-stop action was the way to go. The action-set pieces felt rare to me but when they did happened, they were spectacular.

hydruxo

I don't know if it's just me but the combat in this game is not clicking for me at all. One problem is I can never really spot enemies or know where they're coming from. I never pull off any of those cool moves that you see in gameplay footage, partially because I'm always getting shot from somewhere. Don't particularly love the stealth either. It's not particularly difficult, just not feeling it. Maybe it'll click in the latter half of the game.

On chapter 11.

I feel the same. Absolutely loving the game but the combat just doesn't feel right to me. I actually dread getting to large encounters because they're just not very fun.

Vire

Definitely think they took the whole "oh no drake is a mass murderer" thing too far by significantly breaking up the action.

I feel like he action is so stop and start in a lot of sections that as soon I get my heart racing in one area... It's over and then it's back to tedious platforming for another hour.

Maybe there was something to the waves of enemies shipyards in Uncharted 3?

This game is amazing. Finished the story today. The pacing is slower than UC2 sure, but Naughty Dog really knew what they were doing here. Focusing on story-telling and exploring more than non-stop action was the way to go. The action-set pieces felt rare to me but when they did happened, they were spectacular.

What chapter does the exploring kick in? In Chapter 10 and everything is remarkably linear so far.

SRTtoZ

Just got to [place]M
adagascar. ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THESE GRAPHICS?

Yeah, I have no problem with the way things are going and the way they've gone. I don't like the puzzles, as always, but there are very few of them, far fewer than Uncharted 3, where they really started to irritate me with their frequency.

I like that I can go 45 minutes to an hour without shooting anyone, because when the combat does come around, they fucking make it count.

The combat is amazing. I'm usually a stealth kill as many people as possible before taking on the encounter kind of guy, but in this game I feel cheated by using Stealth because the gunplay using the environments is so fucking fun.

This area blew my mind :eek:
26358036904_432ecfc7a3_o.png

26359002823_81bfc51c1c_o.png

26358076744_c314b941f1_o.png

On chapter 11.
Same here. I couldn't perform moves that were in E3 and PSX demos either. Probably it was because of the different spawn location and level of hostility of the grunts.

Just beat it. Fantastic game, but TLOU was in it's own league for me. while Uncharted 4 still "wows" it doesn't "wow" as hard, and as consistently as UC2, TLOU did. I also
don't feel 100% satisfied (other than the story sense.)
as I did with TLOU, UC2.

Combat is pretty much perfect in this game. Going to play around with that encounter mode quite a bit.

Astral Dog

lol

Nathan vs Panamaians, hilarious, poor Vargas :(

Nate mysteriously never unrevealed before brother is kind of an asshole.
Also, there are alot of maps leading to maps in this game..

Grisby

Finally, I feel really good about a chapter in this game. 7 and 8
(Scotland)
feel like a good balance between firefights/puzzles/ and traversal.

The facial ticks, like the rubbing of a nose or something is impressive. All of the animations are just great and there's so many.

Climbing a wall in MP really fast is when magic happens.

Virdix

Just beat the game. As someone who started with the collection and has played through the all 4 games in the last 6 months or so, UC4 is definitely my favorite of the series.

Favorite Chapter titles

CH 14: Join Me in Paradise
CH 16: The Brothers Drake
Probably my favorite
and
CH 19?: Avery's Descent, because of the double meaning

FelipeMGM

Finished a hour ago.
I was speechless for the past hour, the ending is perfect

My timer says 17h and 40 minutes. That doesnt count cutscenes right?

Grisby

Can't wait for my Friday off. See everyone around here beating the game already.

Of course, I have played my fair share of the mp so far. I've just been wanting to get into the action.

Hawk269

Loving the game so far. I am only at chapter 5 and it has been fantastic. Visuals are pretty damn amazing, but it is odd to see some weird aliasing at odd moments. In Nathans attic for example, if you look out those circular windows on each end of the attic, it has some of the worst AA I have seen in a long time. I am not talking about the houses and stuff you see, but the circular window frame looks like stair steps bad AA. But in actual gameplay when you are moving around it is astounding and the IQ is simply breathtaking.

I agree with many, that the character animations/detail and designs are superb, some of the best I have seen. The only other game with great character animations/detail and presentation are the ones in Quantum Break. I am really blown away visually by this game and I am barely scratching the surface of the game. The only other nitpick I have on the visuals thus far is that motion blur seems way to heavy, when moving the camera around quickly it is a blur fest, kind of wish they would give an option to turn down the motion blur.

I know some say the first chapters seem a bit slow, I disagree, especially since I have not played U2 or U3. To me the way they have laid out the first 5 chapters really sets things up character wise and teaching you some of the basics of gameplay in a great way. I think the whole beginning chapters have been fantastic so far.

BTW...If you have not played the earlier games Best Buy has the Nathan Drake Collection on sale for $19.99 this week. Picked up a copy of it when I bought my PS4 Uncharted Bundle and forgot to mention it earlier.

Maybe there was something to the waves of enemies shipyards in Uncharted 3?

Eehhh, UC3 had nothing going on in the way of combat until the Chateau in Chapter 6, and that courtyard encounter in chapter 7, very similar to the way UC4 is paced. Then it slowed again until Chapters 11-12 start the deluge of combat and set-pieces that lasts nearly the entire 2nd half. TLOU also begins with long stretches of sporadic energy before providing a big chunk of continuous gameplay after like 3 or 4 hours. This shift in game pacing is not new. This is the 3rd Naughty Dog game in a row where they've done this kind of build. Whether it works or not is up to the individual, but they're clearly trying to push "interactive story" as a real pillar of these games now which makes the more traditional gamey pacing of UC2 harder to do.

Top Bottom