• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Tabasco

I don't know if something is wrong with me, but I'm not really feeling this game.

I'm on Chapter 8, and the only enjoyable parts to me were
Crash Bandicoot and the gun fight leading up to Sully coming in with the car at the ballroom place.

The graphics don't amaze me except maybe a few cutscenes, and I'm having a difficult time continuing to play the game because some segments can be boring.

Emwitus

spoiler gif

80wOIuG.gif

This scene..........OH MY

Just beat it. Wow....

I think it's the biggest achievement ever in gaming. I know that's a dangerous thing to say, but I'm not saying it's the best game ever, or even my favorite (too early to know that for sure.). But I have never been so amazed with a game from beginning to end as I was with that one. Taking into account every factor that makes a game great I think it's the most impressive game ever made. Although I'll think those inflammatory thoughts confined to this thread where they can get buried. Can you imagine the shit storm if I made a thread?

Anyway, I need to find a spoiler thread.

Pachinko

Yeaaah, pretty sure that won't happen in my life time. (I'm 28)

You say that now but usually the best looking games get outdated in 5-10 years. I recall thinking that virtua fighter 3 and mario 64 were the pinnacle of digital graphics only to have them trumped every couple of years.

Uncharted 4 does look incredible though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't know if something is wrong with me, but I'm not really feeling this game.

Crash Bandicoot and the gun fight leading up to Sully coming in with the car at the ballroom place.

The graphics don't amaze me except maybe a few cutscenes, and I'm having a difficult time continuing to play the game because some segments can be boring.

Keep playing, you haven't seen the most beautiful places yet.

Zemm

Just finished chapter 18. I'm really not sure what to make of this, there just isn't enough "game" for me to sink my teeth in to. The story is great, the environments are stunning, but i'd never want play through it all a second time. I think TLOU is a vastly better game.

Yeah I completed UC4 last night and am replaying TLoU right now and still think the latter is better. Combat has more weight to it, and the melee is much better, I also like how you aren't stuck to walls when you crouch, of all the influences TLoU has on the game, they couldn't have brought that over?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I set aiming sensitivity down to 0 and have aim assist off, that seems to be working better. I'm landing headshots, now.

DirtyLarry

Just beat it. Wow....

I think it's the biggest achievement ever in gaming. I know that's a dangerous thing to say, but I'm not saying it's the best game ever, or even my favorite (too early to know that for sure.). But I have never been so amazed with a game from beginning to end as I was with that one. Taking into account every factor that makes a game great I think it's the most impressive game ever made. Although I'll think those inflammatory thoughts confined to this thread where they can get buried. Can you imagine the shit storm if I made a thread?

Anyway, I need to find a spoiler thread.
Just so you know, I agree. 110%. And 2 points to keep in mind. 1) I am not even done with the game yet, I am on Chapter 14. 2) I have been playing games since 1980 and the first game I played and beat was Pitfall in 1982 and I very much believe it paved the way for the Uncharted series.
It just emphatically checks off every single box.
Again, to reiterate, there are better games probably, but it is easily the most fun I have had from beginning to end (assuming they don't shit the bed in the final chapters, which I think is a safe assumption).

Yeaaah, pretty sure that won't happen in my life time. (I'm 28)

You're going to look back a few years from now and realize how silly that comment was. Technology jumps leaps and bounds witha blink of an eye. And what does being 28 have to do with anything. I'm 32 and I know I'm going to look back and say "wow I cant believe this was the best looking thing ever just a few years ago"

Just so you know, I agree. 110%. And 2 points to keep in mind. 1) I am not even done with the game yet, I am on Chapter 14. 2) I have been playing games since 1980 and the first game I played and beat was Pitfall in 1982 and I very much believe it paved the way for the Uncharted series.
It just emphatically checks off every single box.
Again, to reiterate, there are better games probably, but it is easily the most fun I have had from beginning to end (assuming they don't shit the bed in the final chapters, which I think is a safe assumption).

Thanks, glad I'm not crazy.

I don't think the rest of the game will let you down either. :)

I can't believe this why are the platforming sections so much fun.

They are better yes. I love all the new additions, the hook, the slides,

Combat is vastly more dynamic than in other Uncharteds, almost every big battle is a combat sandbox of its own.

For me it has the best TPS mechanics ever. The game always gives you so many options in combat, it's awesome.

Flo_Evans

They are better yes. I love all the new additions, the hook, the slides,

Combat is vastly more dynamic than in other Uncharteds, almost every big battle is a combat sandbox of its own.

For me it has the best TPS mechanics ever. The game always gives you so many options in combat, it's awesome.

Better than mgs5?

I want to say this about Uncharted 4...

The graphics are absolutely mind blowing. The tech and finesse of Naughty Dog is unmatched and this game is a shining example of a master at their craft.

The storytelling, pacing and acting is the best you could ever hope for. It is most certainly the best video games have to offer and its shown just how far our favorite medium has come. I can't thank them enough for the mature storytelling.

With this out of the way, here it comes... I don't like this game :(
I want to like this game, I was so hyped for this game, I bought a PS4 just for this game. I have platinumed the other 3 titles and even beat the vita title, but this game (without the spectacle perhaps?) just seems like a chore, a chore that I just want to get through quickly so I can finish this story.

I hate this, but this is the way I feel. The opening of the game was long a slow, the rest of the game has been so dry and predictable, jump here to here to here, open area gun fight, jump here to here. It is just so stale for some reason in this title.

There has also been a few times where I wasn't sure where to go next and the pacing felt broken. I would fall from a height about 8 to 10 feet and Drake would die even though mooments earlier I jumped from 20+ feet and came out fine.

I really feel like a cow being herded through a busy line for a disney attraction.

I still love the Uncharted universe and Naughty Dog is still in my top 3 devs (if not the number 1) but sadly, Drakes last go just left me behind :(

The graphics are absolutely mind blowing. The tech and finesse of Naughty Dog is unmatched and this game is a shining example of a master at their craft.

The storytelling, pacing and acting is the best you could ever hope for. It is most certainly the best video games have to offer and its shown just how far our favorite medium has come. I can't thank them enough for the mature storytelling.

I want to like this game, I was so hyped for this game, I bought a PS4 just for this game. I have platinumed the other 3 titles and even beat the vita title, but this game (without the spectacle perhaps?) just seems like a chore, a chore that I just want to get through quickly so I can finish this story.

I hate this, but this is the way I feel. The opening of the game was long a slow, the rest of the game has been so dry and predictable, jump here to here to here, open area gun fight, jump here to here. It is just so stale for some reason in this title.

There has also been a few times where I wasn't sure where to go next and the pacing felt broken. I would fall from a height about 8 to 10 feet and Drake would die even though mooments earlier I jumped from 20+ feet and came out fine.

I really feel like a cow being herded through a busy line for a disney attraction.

I still love the Uncharted universe and Naughty Dog is still in my top 3 devs (if not the number 1) but sadly, Drakes last go just left me behind :(
That's too bad. Not everyone can like every game I guess.

Although your complaints about this one make me surprised that you enjoyed the previous three.

Too bad. Sucks but everything isn't for everyone.

Sky Chief

Haha, I have absolutely loved every part of this game except the
gun fight
you liked

theWB27

The actors and ND nailed how much Drakes new life and his love for adventure were both tugging on him.

I'm not done, but that scene where he finally goes all out with what he discovered...and that look he gets from the other person he's with. Perfect stuff.

Apathy

Just finishes chapter

loving the story, the exploration, the banter back and forth, but the combat is really starting to annoy me. Your AI buddies are damn near useless sometimes in fights and they rarely if ever draw enemy fire, the enemy is usually making a b line straight to Nate. The stealth stuff also could be better, and I was hoping for it to be better coming from TLoU, which I love. I guess there since it really didn't have to balance stealth and action pack sections it could focus more of the stealth aspect and leave heavy gun fights as a secondary. Here it's the reverse and sometimes just feels like a big pain. Still not a fan of marking, I think they could have tried a better hearing mechanic from TLoU.

nib95

Banned
One of the very few things that really frustrates me in this game is when shit magically gets blocked behind you, when you've moved on to the correct area for story progress, and you can no longer retreat. When collecting treasures, I don't want to go the right way, so when I do, please allow me to move back. Or give a little nudge to let me know not to move further ahead. This was especially annoying in Madagascar.

Wireframe

Just finished and wanted to weigh in.

Firstly, it's very good. The most visually stunning game on the system by a mile. Graphics aside, I just felt like something was missing from the experience as a whole coming out of it. The story is solid but I feel had Hennig stayed on this could have been something even more special.

Among thieves remains my favourite uncharted game this takes a solid second.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm clearing enemies a lot faster on crushing than on hard. Getting used to the aiming and knowledge of the locations and mechanics helps a lot. Also enjoying the game a lot more on my second playthrough since I already know how the game ends. Just taking my time with it now. What a game!

Stealth and melee is a bit underdeveloped, I wish we had more options. Thankfully this game doesn't throw tons of enemies at you like the previous games.

Skux

This is as good as third person gun combat has ever been. Running and gunning, huge open sandbox scenarios, fluid use of stealth (the ability to restore stealth MGS style is perfect), expansive traversal to make you feel like a master of your environment. You're always on the move and reconsidering your options based on your ammo/stealth/enemies.

I hardly even use cover because a) It's harder to stay in cover in this game and b) Why would you when you can fire from a rope swing then finish with a melee takedown. It's just a joy to play.

Teletraan1

Banned
Completed it earlier without playing 3. I didn't feel like I really missed anything. Game was a fun ride the whole way. I actually liked the non combat sequences more than the gunfights. I loved exploring when there was no danger. Looking at all the detail in the environments. Game is absolutely gorgeous to the point that I can marvel at a jar of pickled eggs. Did not care for the final boss soo much. I never like when the final boss of a game has different mechanics than the rest of the game outside of being a glorified QTE. But I guess if yous swung on a rope after sliding down a hill and headshotted the last boss in 2 seconds it wouldn't be that satisfying either.

Overall the best gaming experience I have had this year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This game must have cost a fortune. It certainly looks like it.

I'm about to head into Chapter 10, I seem to be missing tons of treasures. I'm surely finding fewer than I did on my first runs of the other games. I'm just at 14.

Some of you NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SPOILER TAG.

Some of this shit is ridiculous and incredibly disrespectful to the community.

STOP posting gifs of later chapters. STOP fucking posting ending spoilers! Use SPOILER TAGS CHRIST

What the HELL

Dynasty8

Beat the game on hard. One real critsicm for me is that I felt like there was way too much jumping/climbing/roping/sliding segments compared to action. I don't remember Uncharted 2 or 3 having this much "exploration". I started missing the action to be quite honest.

I have to also agree with the whole "perfect Nate" arguement. The whole softy part where he refuses to kill is somewhat true whether people want to admit it or not. The guy has killed hundreds, if not thousands, of soldiers throughout the entire 4 games and he has this "code" that it's wrong to take a life...it's sorta ridiculous and hypocritical. I get Naughty Dog is going more for that PG13 crowd, but cmon now...something about it just doesn't fit.

Other than those 2 complaints, the game was great. Very well done and beautiful. I would definitely not put it above The Last of Us though.

TissueBox

On chapter
and enjoying the game so far -- however, I feel the gameplay isn't enriched by the story well enough to be spread out so sparsely without moments putting some honest-to-goodness focus on the action, shooting, and combat. Whereas in TLOU the walk-and-talk, slow, meditative elements were there and almost as numerous, the type of game it was made them absorbing. The world in Uncharted, however, gets more and more interesting with the more things you can climb on, jump across, and hang on to while figuring out how best to mercilessly incapacitate a faceless mook and feel exhausted after doing so. While predictable, formulaic, and uncharacteristically violent, it was effective when done well -- in here, the puzzles and platforming and exploration are done well, but not quite as effectively to me as they were in previous entries because the mechanics and story/dialogue seem a little more deliberately conservative than they should be in order to supplement a story-heavy game with as much negative space as this one. It's hard to explain concisely; once I finish I'll take the time to let it sink and go into more detail about what I think works for it and what works against.

That said, as for everything else that's stuck out to me thus far:

1. Best storytelling in a AA - AAA game I've ever seen. So stylishly sophisticated and with such cinematic flavor -- this is quite possibly the most tautly realized vision of a cross between game and movie in the industry yet and literally another generation ahead most others, if not the progenitor of a new era altogether.
2. So beautiful it's practically a sin.
3.The gameplay, when allowed to go wild, is the smoothest and most pleasant-feeling I've encountered in a third-person AA - AAA game in years. If blown out no holds-barred, the resulting game would be a more overwhelmingly euphoric play experience than all Uncharted's combined.
4. Bold, bold move by ND to do away with much of the pew-pewing and action-verbing in the first place, regardless of what I think. Many people have had criticisms towards the series' disproportionate case of shooting gallery mass murder syndrome, right? UC4, as previously mentioned, instead takes the player to an actual 'adventure' scouring 'uncharted' lands, where you actually explore and then get into a cursory scuffle every now and then, instead of vice versa. Thus emerges a blockbuster game with surprisingly more time spent on character-prying conversations amidst a giant environmental puzzle than lining up a gun's iron sights over a random merc, and it's a refreshing change.
5. The story, as well told as it is, to me has one big problem; the problem of feeling a bit too much like a really, really good fanction. In the same time it strains for a center-of-gravity, but in the end only goes so far -- breaking tons of new ground in the process, sure, but essentially going only as far as the toned-down nuance of its themes permit it, and as a result resists the right kind of balance between emotional investment and mechanical thrill it needs.

silva1991

1 major disappointment in this game:

it doesn't have supernatural beings/monsters

seriously ND? I was expecting ghosts or pirate skeletons at least and I got non of that

this is really bothering me :/

The feel of the guns is good but the fucking design of the fights is beyond terrible in my opinion. It feels like they just threw fucking everything at you with no real thought into placement or anything. There's just no logic. The past games felt like a puzzle where I was thinking "Ok, I have to go here and then get over to this one and I'll grab this gun to take out this guy, etc."

Maybe I'm just frustrated with the particular spot I'm in now, but this is fucking ridiculous. And to make matters better for some reason it saved where every time I restart I'm in an explosion and lose some life.
I think it's great that it feels like there are plenty of correct ways to do a fight instead of just one.

Ascenion

Guys seriously spoiler tag some of this shit better/be considerate of people on mobile. Or better yet take end game discussion to the spoiler thread. That's why it exists.

Top Bottom