• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

TripOpt55

I enjoyed what I played on release day (Chapters 1-7). They did a good job of setting the table for the story. Teaching some of the mechanics. I loved a lot of the fan service. And Chapter 4 was lovely. The dialogue in that chapter was perfection. But as far as interesting encounters and more action-style gameplay, it was definitely a little lacking in these early chapters.

But oh man, what I played today (Chapters 8-11) was just phenomenal. The encounters have been brilliant. I love the options, the verticality, how big some of these combat areas are. I think my favorite moment came when I was sniping some dudes and ran out of ammo with one enemy left far off. So I climbed up on this crane between us, ran down it and jumped on top of him for the kill. I love that move. Some AJ Styles kind of stuff there. Just like him I will do it from anywhere.

And I really love how they have expanded the exploration. Driving the Jeep around is such a blast. I love just looking around for hidden caves and structures. And then the setpieces. The ones that basically end the two locations I played today were just so much fun. I know one was from E3, but I never watched the second part of that demo and playing it was totally insane. Even the platforming is improved and the puzzles have been cool too.

They have really packed some emotion into the story too. A couple parts really hit me so far. Wonderful, wonderful game. Exceeding my high expectations so far.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Nadine's hair looks absolutely sick.

The biggest take away I took from Nadine's look is how she does not skip arm day.
1ab776e42c9eb5a0d139fe2fe6f1e1b1_small.jpg

Uncharted 3 didn't have spirits. Nate was high on drugs. Technically there was no supernatural element in 3.

Yeah, but they are still technically enemies.

(enemy and location spoilers, mostly a rant about encounters near the end lol)

By the end I hated running into a big room because I knew I was about to be attacked by 100 dudes with half of them wearing armor. Honestly the enemies were perfect before the endgame. They died in one shot if I got a head shot and could tank a few bullets otherwise. If I miss played I would still die due to the damage but I could kill them quickly. Then they introduce the head armor people and now it takes 2 head shots (or a grenade) to kill them. At the end basically every enemy has armor and they all drop different guns with less than 1 clip of ammo. Grenades get spammed so you don't sit in cover and slowly take out enemies. On the ships at the end all the cover is destructible so a single miss step instantly kills you. They also have "waves" of enemies like a horde mode. There are usually 2 waves per encounter and checkpoint, meaning if you fuck up the second wave of a huge encounter then you have to redo the first wave. These waves and deaths led to me having to memorize enemy spawn locations so I didn't get flanked and killed. I loved the game but the end drove me nuts with the reliance on shooting dudes and tough combat encounters. It fucked with the pacing and reminded me of the first uncharted. I didn't even mention the dudes that have full body armor and their sole purpose is to rush you and put you in a headlock. Those guys sucked so much and killed me probably about 30 times because they pull you out of cover and you get shot to death.
Oh that battle you mention was frustrating for me on hard mode. Almost no indestructible cover at all at the start. The 2nd wave had 2 armored jackasses and I didn't have a weapon that could kill them fast enough so I literally had to spam grenades to kill 1 of them off and wound the other. This game even puts armor on the sniper, it's like they want to annoy me to no end.

sjay1994

Just beat it.

Asides from a few minor hiccups of being completely lost in some levels, this is probably my favorite uncharted game now.

A really great send off.

the_id

I just finished it. Its beautiful and I'm in tears....

I've followed this franchise since it was first premiered as a ND tech demo and now its finished. What a perfect ending to an amazing franchise.

MMarston

I can't remember any puzzle in Uncharted being very sophisticated. The ones in UC4 were pretty par for the course.

T.O.P

Banned
As for someone who's not really a huge fan of the gunplay of this game i'm really apprecciating the much more open arenas, lots of ways to get around the enemy...especially love the focus on the verticality of gunfights

Astral

I took the time to look at the screenshots I took and goddamn this game looks legit lifelike at times. How did they do it?

You guys shitting on the soundtrack really need to listen to A Thief's End. It's nothing but goosebumps.
Pales in comparison to the previous entires, especially Drake's Deception which is a masterpiece to me as far as gaming soundtracks are concerned. Way too understated. I miss how sweeping and grand the music used to be.

I can still recall cues from specific scenes in this series. I'll remember the music from this game in literally one spot.

Back when ND released that documentary of the Last of Us called "Grounded" where that word was used several times to describe the characters, events, setting, etc. I thought "I can't wait to see a bunch of people use that word to describe ND's next game."

Very pleased to see it being used liberally in this thread.

Tainted

Lawl, the setpiece in Chapter 11 is out of this world.

I just wish I had gone on blackout with the E3 videos and the one they released afterwards which spoiled that entire sequence for me. It was fun playing through it myself but it would have been so much better had I not watched those videos :(

pupcoffee

Up to Chapter 18.
Now that the Drake/Elena conflict has officially become unimportant as hell, saving Nate from REALLY loathing Sam, I can't wait to see how the story recovers by the end. At the moment, it feels like the story has lowered the stakes by resolving the Elena/Drake conflict. It no longer feels like Nate has screwed himself over, and that sucks at the moment, because that feeling of regret improved the game's story for the last 4 or so chapters. By the way, you shouldn't say there's a twist at the end of chapter 15. It was pretty obvious what the twist was once I knew there was a twist.

Elfstruck

I just wish I had gone on blackout with the E3 videos and the one they released afterwards which spoiled that entire sequence for me. It was fun playing through it myself but it would have been so much better had I not watched those videos :(

Yep, I was on a media blackout with this game, besides some screenshots here and there. So when I played this sequence, it was something that left me speechless.

DukeBobby

9 hours in and I'm only up to chapter 11.

I've explored pretty much every nook and cranny so far, yet I've still somehow managed to miss 4 treasures. Guess I've not been thorough enough in my search.

I'm also starting to think I should have saved this treasure hunt for a second playthrough as it's affecting the pacing quite a bit.

MMarston

I'm also starting to think I should have saved this treasure hunt for a second playthrough as it's affecting the pacing quite a bit.

You should see people play the Batman Arkham games.

468px-Screen_Shot_2015-06-26_at_4.18.38_PM.jpg

obsessive compulsive demons these things are

9 hours in and I'm only up to chapter 11.

I've explored pretty much every nook and cranny so far, yet I've still somehow managed to miss 4 treasures. Guess I've not been thorough enough in my search.

I'm doing my trophy clean up and only in the big open areas (parts with a vehicle) do I think it's ultimately rewarding for a first play through because of all the extra dialogue and how many little unique areas they created.

If you feel it killing pacing I'd recommend saving it for later. Just my .02.

Tainted

Yep, I have a love/hate relationship with collectibles in any game. If I know they are there to be picked up, it affects the way I play the game (ie running into weird corners off the beaten track constantly). The OCD in me goes into overdrive when I know they are around.

Eddyhdzg

Banned
Got to Chapter 11

So far the game is fantastic but I feel like I might just not be into this whole climbing and then shooting segment thing anymore.

Still, this is a damn amazing game, and the way it looks... it's unreal!

The music has been great. It suits the tone of the game very well. I don't know that I'll remember any particular tracks months down the line, but that was the case for me with the previous games (not including The Last of Us or "Nate's Theme").

Dynasty8

I think we're in the minority with this opinion lol.

I'm probably in the tiniest minority personally, cause I thought the earlier games' soundtrack's were super forgettable.

Doubt you guys are in the minority. This is FARRRRRR better than Uncharted 1-3's soundtrack. Don't see how people don't see this.

Just listen to this: https://youtu.be/396GHd8wpXU. (Skip to 2:35...amazing)

I guess I like the music more in this cause it's a bit more serious then the past 3 entries. I understand why people like the series's soundtrack more though, the music in 1+2+3 was more pulpy and adventure like while the music in this is more akin to a hollywood blockbuster.

pupcoffee

Jeez,
that 2nd Nate and Sam flashback ended on a dark note. Why did the old lady have to die? That's some Last of Us shit. You sadistic man, Druckmann.

demigod

Sigh, only on chapter 8. Thanks publishers for releasing games on a fucking tuesday when people still have to go to work instead of the weekends.

It makes me laugh when people try to score a game after just finishing it. This game really isn't a 10/10 game.

It still suffers from all the Uncharted trappings.

• I was running in circles a number of times trying to figure out what ledge or path I am supposed to be taking in certain areas.
  • I've fallen to my death too many times to count because of the sometimes janky platforming.
  • It still has jump to crumbling ledge which breaks and you fall down a bit to a lower ledge.
  • It still has wondering whether the stairs, bridge, platform is going to break or not situations.

Then it suffers from the thing that annoyed me most about The Last of Us, having to find the box that will let me get over an impassable obstacle and the boosting the buddy up who looks to find the box, drop the ladder down or grabs your hand to pull you up.

Having said all that it is EASILY in my top three games of all time, but it is by no means a perfect 10.

MMarston

[*]It still has jump to crumbling ledge which breaks and you fall down a bit to a lower ledge.
[*]It still has wondering whether the stairs, bridge, platform is going to break or not situations.

I remember being legit shook by these when they first started out in UC2. UC1 already had em for ledges but their textures gave them away.

Then they got awkwardly too frequent in UC3 and 4

It makes me laugh when people try to score a game after just finishing it. This game really isn't a 10/10 game.

• I was running in circles a number of times trying to figure out what ledge or path I am supposed to be taking.
  • I've fallen to my death too many times to count because of the sometimes janky platforming.
  • It still has jump to crumbling ledge which breaks and you fall down a bit to a lower ledge.
  • It still has wondering whether the stairs, bridge, platform is going to break or not situations.

Then it suffers from the thing that annoyed me most about The Last of Us, having to find the box that will let me get over an impassable obstacle and the boosting the buddy up who looks to find the box, drop the ladder down or grabs your hand to pull you up.

Having said all that it is EASILY in my top three games of all time, but it is by no means a perfect 10.

I finished it last night, and I wanted let it sink in before putting a score on it. And yeah, it is a 10/10 for me, and I wasn't even a big fan of TLOU. The good in this game far outweighs the bad, and a 10/10 doesn't mean a perfect game. It just means that you enjoyed a game so immensely that the flaws pale in comparison. At least for me it does.

• I was running in circles a number of times trying to figure out what ledge or path I am supposed to be taking.

The bullet points you listed are literally tropes of the series. Of course they would be in this. I don't really see how they are negatives on their own unless you just think they're over used.

A 10 means different things to different people. Not necessarily perfection.

Weird post when it ends with you saying this is in your top 3 games EVER yet people who rate it a 10/10 are off base. ???

hamchan

• I was running in circles a number of times trying to figure out what ledge or path I am supposed to be taking in certain areas.

Sounds like you're just stingy with 10s if a top 3 game of all time can't get one.

Wabba

Really love this game, its different then the other games and much slower in build up. Can anybody tell me how far into the game i am? 10 minutes into chapter 12.

Varth

Anyone had similar graphic issues? This is from the MP beta, but a friend assures me final game (disk, EUR) has the same problem for him.

original

aravuus

Top 3 of all time, still not 10/10? Wonder if you'll ever come across a game that's a 10/10 in your eyes.

e: Unless you've only played like <10 games during your lifetime, in which case top 3 is kinda meaningless.

Top Bottom