• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Sora_N

I finished chapter 1. This game is already amazing. Might restart the game though. I got an exam Saturday so gonna play it after instead.

Morue

Stopped at the beginning of chapter 10. I'm taking my sweet time, I don't want it to end...

Gotta say, as someone who's more into exploration than shooting, I really enjoy the pacing (a little bit too much sliding though...).

And I'm under the impression that the traversal parts are the craziest of the 4 games. I don't count the times I found myself saying : damn, Nate and Sam are mental!!
(talking about the part in Scotland...)

The bullet points you listed are literally tropes of the series. Of course they would be in this. I don't really see how they are negatives on their own unless you just think they're over used.

A 10 means different things to different people. Not necessarily perfection.

Weird post when it ends with you saying this is in your top 3 games EVER yet people who rate it a 10/10 are off base. ???

I get it but this is the 5th game in the series, 4th if you don't think Golden Abyss deserves to be there. I spent a lot of the platforming trying to guess what ledge would make me drop and what bridge or platform would crumble and it kind of took me out of the experience. I don't think the game would be any worse for it if those events didn't happen, or did but in certain situations when the game calls for it.

It is in my top three because I had the most fun playing it than most other games out there, the story, the graphics, the music, everything about it gave me tears of joy. Liking something and scoring something objectively are two completely different things.

I freaking love Jurassic Park Tresspasser, I would say it is a 10/10 game for me but it is COMPLETELY broken in every conceivable way.

Top 3 of all time, still not 10/10? Wonder if you'll ever come across a game that's a 10/10 in your eyes.

e: Unless you've only played like <10 games during your lifetime, in which case top 3 is kinda meaningless.

I've been playing games since 80s but ok.

Neiteio

Just reached Ch. 6. Game is incredible so far.

Well, except for the gunplay, but that's more on me. I don't feel very graceful yet. Also had immersion-breaking moments in Ch. 5 where
Hector
pushed me sideways across the room, lol.

But after I went back to the main menu, I noticed there's an option to replay combat encounters. So I replayed the three phases of the Ch. 5
jailbreak sequence
and I found myself getting better and better.

The guns do have a nice kick to them. And enemies go down pretty quickly on Moderate. Battles have a nice brisk flow. I like rolling in and out of enemy fire.

So yeah, I think once I get a handle on the combat, once it clicks, this game will be something truly great. Until then, I'm just stunned by the production values. The level of detail is just incredible.

And that one Easter egg in Ch. 4... You know the one. Just wow.

pupcoffee

Look, the game has a lot going for it, but the climbing is as mundane as ever. The rope is as mundane as the climbing. This could be so much better. There are times where we get the right amount of climbing, there are times where we get too much climbing.

The clocktower was so amazing because, woo, we actually had timed obstacles to avoid while climbing!

It's a pity that Naughty Dog never figured out another gameplay pillar that could replace some of the climbing. Last of Us was served well by two kinds of combat, for instance.

edit: Wait, they did, the new pillar was driving! How could I forget that? Feels like the driving is replacing bits of the shooting, though, and not bits of the climbing.

nib95

Banned
I gotta say I feel like the slow start will make the game suffer massively on replays. It serves the story incredible well, so I won't hold it against the game. I was utterly enraptured for every second on my first playthrough, and only started to get the "get on with it" feeling towards the end. Can't understate how good this game is.

On my Crushing difficulty, whilst I still think there's too few gunfights early on, as oppose to too much platforming, I don't really think it hurts replay much. When you know what to do you get through that stuff quicker and end up running in to combat sooner than your first time through. I'm actually enjoying my second play through just as much.

leng jai

On my Crushing difficulty, whilst I still think there's too few gunfights early on, as oppose to too much platforming, I don't really think it hurts replay much. When you know what to do you get through that stuff quicker and end up running in to combat sooner than your first time through. I'm actually enjoying my second play through just as much.

The puzzles will hurt the replays more than that stuff. Worse case scenario you just skip the first 5 chapters. I've replayed UC2 and TLOU over 15 times since they came out, ND games are too good to play only once.

I think there is too much climbing, especially in the overly long 2nd act, but I found it more fulfilling and visually satisfying than it had ever been. They seem to be doubling down on the exploration aspect of this game as the traversal is not as linear as it initially appears. I can understand why people would get tired of it if exploration isn't appealing to you. I got relatively burned out by it by the end of act two but got a second wind by the end. This is still an Uncharted game.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
To be honest
most - if not all - of Libertalia felt like a retread of the UC1 island when I think about it now, but like a fully realized version of it in terms of aesthetics

It is in my top three because I had the most fun playing it than most other games out there, the story, the graphics, the music, everything about it gave me tears of joy. Liking something and scoring something objectively are two completely different things.

A) You can't score a game objectively. It's subjective by nature.

B) You can't score a game effectively when you use a scale that is completely out of whack with what the community at large reasonably recognizes as the scale. Practically nobody well-versed in games thinks a "10" means the game is "perfect." In the scale the vast, vast majority of the community recognizes, a "10" represents at the least a very, very good game, or at the most, a landmark achievement in gaming. If you've been playing games since the 80s, and this game is in your top three of all-time and made you weep "tears of joy," I'd say that qualifies under either of those criteria.

If you are one of those rare people that truly believes a 10 means perfect, then no game will or should ever score a 10. So the scale is useless if you can never use it all. If it is a hard-and-fast conviction with you that 10 pt. games must be perfect, you should probably abandon the 10 pt. scale, and move on to something like a "five-star" scale, where you can use the entire scale without the mental block of unreasonable expectations of perfection. Would probably save you the frustration of having to explain things like this to confused readers who are used to the 10 pt scale as it is currently used.

Yeah given we've already had a remaster though I can't see that happening, shame they couldn't use the U4 engine though, but Bluepoint still did a cracking job with them.

I know, it's just a pipe dream.
A) You can't score a game objectively. It's subjective by nature.

B) You can't score a game effectively when you use a scale that is completely out of whack with what the community at large reasonably recognizes as the scale. Practically nobody well-versed in games thinks a "10" means the game is "perfect." In the scale the vast, vast majority of the community recognizes, a "10" represents at the least a very, very good game, or at the most, a landmark achievement in gaming. If you've been playing games since the 80s, and this game is in your top three of all-time and made you weep "tears of joy," I'd say that qualifies under either of those criteria. Would probably save you the frustration of having to explain things like this to confused readers who are used to the 10 pt scale as it is currently used.

If you are one of those rare people that truly believes a 10 means perfect, then no game will or should ever score a 10. So the scale is useless if you can never use it all. If it is a hard-and-fast conviction with you that 10 pt. games must be perfect, you should probably abandon the 10 pt. scale, and move on to something like a "five-star" scale, where you can use the entire scale without the mental block of unreasonable expectations of perfection.

Saying a perfect 10 was probably a poor choice of words.

I think what I was trying to say was trying to score a game coming off a high means it's going to cloud your judgement. I live and breathe Uncharted and if you had asked me hours after I had just finished it I probably would have said 10/10. Now a couple of days later I've had time to think about it and I really don't think it is a 10/10 game. As you can probably tell I am rubbish at expressing my views and feelings so it is hard for me to explain why I think it's not.

Slaythe

It makes me laugh when people try to score a game after just finishing it. This game really isn't a 10/10 game.

It still suffers from all the Uncharted trappings.

• I was running in circles a number of times trying to figure out what ledge or path I am supposed to be taking in certain areas.
  • I've fallen to my death too many times to count because of the sometimes janky platforming.
  • It still has jump to crumbling ledge which breaks and you fall down a bit to a lower ledge.
  • It still has wondering whether the stairs, bridge, platform is going to break or not situations.

Then it suffers from the thing that annoyed me most about The Last of Us, having to find the box that will let me get over an impassable obstacle and the boosting the buddy up who looks to find the box, drop the ladder down or grabs your hand to pull you up.

Having said all that it is EASILY in my top three games of all time, but it is by no means a perfect 10.

You know, "perfect things" don't really exist, but I feel like the imperfections are minor and don't stray away from the quality of the game.

This game is breath taking, from a game design to art level, everything is spectacular. They managed to mix adventure, story, platforming, and action, in a beautiful mix.

Sure maybe it's not 10/10, but no game is, then.

This sure as hell is a 9/10 at least :) . This is the first time I feel like a videogame has literally taken on the greatness of the best movies, like Indiana Jones.

And the reason for that, is the new pacing and seamless transition with the various gameplay elements and the cutscenes too.

Oh man, at chapter 17.

That silent small jeep ride did it's thing way better than it should have, spectacular work. This chapter is just amazing because it brings back all that UC1 memories. The back and forth dialogue as well between Elena and Nathan are masterfully done.

sphinx

the piano man
is there anywhere a detailed explanation of the nature of trophies for this game??

not looking into getting things spoiled by reading how to get them, what I want to know is:

.-how hard is it to platinum,
.-how many are multiplayer,
.- are there trophies exclusive to the DLC

Lingitiz

Finished. It has a few minor issues, but will stand as one of the best I've ever played, the best in the series, and arguably best Naughty Dog game.

I didn't even realize I had nostalgia for Uncharted until I played this. It is the rare sequel that is such a seismic leap over what came before it, in terms of graphics, rethinking the core game play, and evolving the storytelling.

Just... Wow. Need to collect my thoughts for a bit before starting another run.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
How people call this slow, I just don't know. The pacing feels really on point right now and I just hit Chapter
. I can understand if you just want a shooter, but one of the best parts of Uncharted games for me has always been the stories and the interactions between characters.

m4st4

I'll be done with it tonight (first playthrough that is, multi and hard/crushing still await); it feels like a 9/10 game right now... and I think TLOU will remain No. 1 Naughty Dog and overall TOP 10 for me... but, it's a damn fine game. I'm emotionally invested, it looks gorgeous every step of the way and I'm actually pretty interested in historical setting this time round, really intriguing. Not to mention the gameplay, sweet lord. Sure, climbing mechanic tend to be on the safe side (meaning I don't care when something crumbles in a second - it'll be alright anyway), but shooting, grapling and punching feels so good and level design gives you that necessary freedom to actually be creative while creating your own mini blockbuster encounters. Oh, and MUD sliding... love the feel.

Oh man, at chapter 17.

That silent small jeep ride did it's thing way better than it should have, spectacular work. This chapter is just amazing because it brings back all that UC1 memories. The back and forth dialogue as well between Elena and Nathan are masterfully done.

Indeed. People criticizing the soundtrack should seriously re-think those small moments, I believe they work better than generic blockbuster cues. Especially re-worked Nate theme, once you add the context.

Chapter 19:
When the flashlight died underground, it gave me the creeps. Was prepared for some ghost/skeleton jump scare while Elena was trying to get her match lit up.

Loudninja

How people call this slow, I just don't know. The pacing feels really on point right now and I just hit Chapter
. I can understand if you just want a shooter, but one of the best parts of Uncharted games for me has always been the stories and the interactions between characters.
Its been freaking amazing man.

Freakin Naughty dog man. TLOU was my favorite game ever. Gaming hasn't been the same since I beat that game. Just haven't been able to get into many games. And now I'll be debating between TLOU and Uncharted 4. Amazing.

Sound totally fanboyish but that okay. They just satisfy what 'great game' means to me FAR better than any other developer. Hats off.

Jobbs

Banned
I just finished chapter 8 and I'm really genuinely trying to understand why everyone loves the game so much, and so far I can't. I'm trying.

It's. So. Boring.

I find myself just filled with dread each time I'm presented with a new climby part where I'm going to have to look for the next notch the designers want me to grab or swing to. It's all just a matter of figuring out what the designers want me to do so I can get on with their boring plan as soon as possible.

The shooting segments are likewise pure tedium, it's the cover shooter reduced to its most core, boring elements with the most uninteresting badguys possible to shoot at.

All of this would be serviceable if I gave a shit about anyone, but Nathan is a flat out douche.
He lied to his wonderful wife to go on a murderous adventure for treasure, and then he lies to her with ever increasing enthusiasm as he continues to murder and treasure. Can anyone remind me again why we like this guy?

To be honest, I kind of liked the game at the outset when I was kid Drake in the 80s climbing rooftops with my brother. But the game has nothing else to offer and I don't like the characters. The parts where I'm supposed to walk forward and interact with something would normally be the dreaded parts in the game, but in this they're just a welcome relief from the utter slog of fake platforming and boring cover shooting.

Beautiful to look at, sure, but I don't know if looks alone can pull me through. I'm willing to try just a bit longer because someone tells me it gets interesting later.

How's the pacing of Uncharted 4? I read that there's lillte firefights and you can go an hour without killing anyone. Is that true? My copy comes in tommorrow.

zsynqx

I just finished chapter 8 and I'm really genuinely trying to understand why everyone loves the game so much, and so far I can't. I'm trying.

It's. So. Boring.

I find myself just filled with dread each time I'm presented with a new climby part where I'm going to have to look for the next notch the designers want me to grab or swing to. It's all just a matter of figuring out what the designers want me to do so I can get on with their boring plan as soon as possible.

The shooting segments are likewise pure tedium, it's the cover shooter reduced to its most core, boring elements with the most uninteresting badguys possible to shoot at.

All of this would be serviceable if I gave a shit about anyone, but Nathan is a flat out douche.
He lied to his wonderful wife to go on a murderous adventure for treasure, and then he lies to her with ever increasing enthusiasm as he continues to murder and treasure. Can anyone remind me again why we like this guy?

To be honest, I kind of liked the game at the outset when I was kid Drake in the 80s climbing rooftops with my brother. But the game has nothing else to offer and I don't like the characters. The parts where I'm supposed to walk forward and interact with something would normally be the dreaded parts in the game, but in this they're just a welcome relief from the utter slog of fake platforming and boring cover shooting.

Beautiful to look at, sure, but I don't know if looks alone can pull me through. I'm willing to try just a bit longer because someone tells me it gets interesting later.

Keep going :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

It's. So. Boring.

First Uncharted game? Also, what difficulty level are you playing at?

How's the pacing of Uncharted 4? I read that there's lillte firefights and you can go an hour without killing anyone. Is that true? My copy comes in tommorrow.

Just because you are not killing, doesn't mean it has pacing issues.

m4st4

You have levels that are all about adventuring and discovering little secrets, and they are filled with little pockets of action that range from small, medium and large encounters. I believe it's (mostly) perfectly paced throughout.

It's. So. Boring.

What is in your spoiler tags is one of the biggest overall themes and explored character arcs in the game. It's like the part you're at now is a set up for the rest of the game!

Have you ever played an Uncharted game before? This reads like you haven't. As for the combat, possibly move the difficulty up. I don't even know how you could play this game in pure cover once you're on Hard or above. I had to move constantly (luckily you're given a ton of freedom in movement space and verticality) because of all the flanking or I stealthed them out.

I'd love to read a dissenting review/post about the game that didn't default to using 'murder'. There is literally not a single enemy in this game (enemies that are soliders in a PMC that kill for a living) that doesn't shoot Nate on sight. It's beyond tired at this point. Sorry, this is less directed at you and just a general annoyance.

ETA: there are also massive sections in this game where you can sneak by literally all combat without firing a single bullet.

How is the combat in UC4 barebones? ND added so many mechanics and freedom to let you play pretty much however you want.
Sounds like Rich Evans' stealth GAF account.

nib95

Banned
It's all just a matter of figuring out what the designers want me to do so I can get on with their boring plan as soon as possible.

Congratulations, you just described every game ever made.

This is utter nonsense. There is no other shooter on the market besides maybe MGSV (for different reasons) that offers this breadth of mechanical complexity, diversity and tactical freedom. None. There are certain gunfights where you can approach things like a typical cover shooter, sure, though the AI will likely flank or grenade you out, especially on harder difficulties, but that's left to the player to decide. Alternatively you can take advantage of the incredible level design and use mobility to your advantage, whether that means platforming, climbing or ledge shimmying about mid combat, or using the rope swing to instantaneously traverse the map or change elevation, or even using the sliding options where available. Or if you prefer you can use these mechanics to enable better melee, which is contextually incentivised to be used with your ally AI for added benefit. Or even still, you can if you want instead choose to go full stealth (something I've done for the bulk of my Crushing play through). Other arenas you can even swim underwater to gain additional advantage as well. In other words, this is anything but a cover shooter stripped to its core.

Octacamo

is there anywhere a detailed explanation of the nature of trophies for this game??

not looking into getting things spoiled by reading how to get them, what I want to know is:

.-how hard is it to platinum,
.-how many are multiplayer,
.- are there trophies exclusive to the DLC

- Not hard say 2/10 for difficulty
- 5 trophies for mp and super easy as well
- what!! Dlc trophies will be when dlc come

Milennia

Just finished after 1 very long sitting, perfect story from my end.

Don't think I've smiled that much in a long time playing a game.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd love to read a dissenting review/post about the game that didn't default to using 'murder'. There is literally not a single enemy in this game (enemies that are soliders in a PMC that kill for a living) that doesn't shoot Nate on sight. It's beyond tired at this point. Sorry, this is less directed at you and just a general annoyance.

I don't follow closely what people say about this -- I mean, I've heard people joke about Nathan's murdering before, but when I say this it's not because I'm parroting anything. There's a genuine dissonance that I feel while playing the game.
In early cutscenes Drake is shocked by the stabbing death of an evil asshole guard, and then later he laments when Sam punches out a waiter.

Minutes later I snuck up under someone, on a ledge, and pulled him to his death. Yes, he would have shot at me, but there's a definite dissonance here -- As we kill and kill and kill and kill, and the characters seem to think nothing of it. I get that the guards are enemy combatants, but we don't react to the body count in any way. It's odd because of how lifelike the characters seem in other ways.

In The Last of Us it worked far better because the characters acknowledged the killing, for the most part, so it didn't distract me. It felt consistent. Lifelike characters in a game that has a huge emphasis on acting and storytelling and constant immersion with the characters (they never stop communicating) just doesn't work well in a lighthearted adventure with a high body count. I genuinely feel distracted by it.

Robiin

I feel like the combat is way more fun as a free-roaming shooter rather than a cover-shooter. It's like a freestyle rap battle, your gonna do great if you have a verse pre-written but it's more fun if you improvise and think on your feet (move around, blindfire etc).

Edit: I once saw a video of one of the PS3 Uncharteds being played like this and would like to show it to prove my point, but I honestly can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about and know the video?

Been reading complaints about pacing and combat a lot, and it's absolutely baffling to me. Why do so many people on here think that a relentless onslaught of action sequences is good pacing? The story is really well paced from beginning to end, except for the third act which drags a bit. Just because shit isn't blowing up every 3 minutes doesn't mean the game is poorly paced. It's a 15+ hour game telling the conclusive story of this set of characters. Of course there are going to be slower, more emotional scenes.

I don't understand the "cover shooter" complaints either. They have created big open levels with excellent verticality. Take advantage of the freedom of movement to create fun combat scenarios instead of sitting behind cover and playing this game like a 2006 cover shooter. Be a little creative, and you'll definitely enjoy this game a lot more. Don't just do the usual going-through-the-motions routine that most cover shooters follow. Use stealth and platforming to your advantage, break the enemies' line of sight to disappear, mix it up with some shooting. It ain't that hard.

Top Bottom