• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom Fox

Banned
So how did CEX get them if Sony themselves made it clear that they haven't sent any stock to retail in the UK yet? I'm curious as to why out of all retailers those two CEX stores seem to get special pre-release priority.
So the stores that have leaked copies in America have also been sent stolen copies?

The CEX stores that have them haven't had the copies seized by the police either which would have happened after 3 days. Like I said, I work for CEX and those copies were added as pre release media, try looking on the website and see if you can find Uncharted 4... you can't because they were not bought in from a customer. But how is it people are getting them from there? Because the store can choose to sell their copies and break Street date agreement (will have consequences).

I also know of an independent store near me that already has copies but he doesn't sell games early as it's his own store.

Sony themselves NEVER made a statement saying CEX copies were stolen. They said the copies out in the wild were stolen and MCV updated their story and said CEX and EBAY copies are stolen. I can't speak for the Ebay copies but the copies at CEX are not stolen.

Edit: Franchise stores (as in non corporate) can be supplied by a manufacturer the same as Game, Asda etc can. What they choose to do with those copies are up to the store manager, if caught they will be black listed the same as any other retailer.

Because someone sold them in

Yeah, that's what I originally said. He posted that they were legit. I still don't believe it... A manager would have to manually log the copies into the system when the items come in from customer or manufacturer. Like I said if they're as new from a customer, they could just log them as pre-release media without knowing any better if the products are still sealed.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Has the ending been revealed yet?

I believe the only thing we've seen about the ending is a leaked picture from the art book. The picture was of a page titled 'Epilogue' and showed completed models and concept art but there was no further information.

raindoc

Because someone sold them in

Buuuut... if all the copies available atm are stolen ones, as Sony claims, how is it possible that CeX are still selling them? Allegedly there's a criminal investigation going on and one would think that the police would confiscate every copy available in stores right now as evidence.

Venom Fox

Banned
Yeah, that's what I originally said. He posted that they were legit. I still don't believe it... A manager would have to manually log the copies into the system when the items come in from customer or manufacturer. Like I said if they're as new from a customer, they could just log them as pre-release media without knowing any better if the products are still sealed.
Copies have to be opened in front of the customer, by the customer if bought from a customer as per our operating procedure.

The copies in CEX stores are sealed and were transfered in under the Pre release media Category.

If something is BOUGHT in it would show up as a cash buy or a sale. Those copies don't and are shown as transfers. Which means they came from a legit source.

A manager can't just edit the details because our system doesn't work that way.

Buuuut... if all the copies available atm are stolen ones, as Sony claims, how is it possible that CeX are still selling them? Allegedly there's a criminal investigation going on and one would think that the police would confiscate every copy available in stores right now as evidence.
Exactly, as soon as a product is reported as stolen the police will come and seize it as evidence. That way CEX is covered by insurance.

What you are doing is really unethical... Those copies are the result of criminal activity. With victims. I hope you reconsider.

I doubt he'll find anything. Considering that CEX is a quite well known retailer who know this game is not due to be released until two weeks time –– why would they purchase copies of said game and then resell it? That'd make them complicit in a crime which isn't worth the £20 revenue.

jesu

Sony themselves NEVER made a statement saying CEX copies were stolen. They said the copies out in the wild were stolen and MCV updated their story and said CEX and EBAY copies are stolen. I can't speak for the Ebay copies but the copies at CEX are not stolen.

Edit: Franchise stores (as in non corporate) can be supplied by a manufacturer the same as Game, Asda etc can. What they choose to do with those copies are up to the store manager, if caught they will be black listed the same as any other retailer.

But they did say...

To be clear, we have yet to ship any stock of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End to retail

So where did CEX get the stock?

raindoc

But they did say...

So where did CEX get the stock?

A) Sony's PR message is just a bunch of PR bullshit

B) Her Majesty's customs officers really did seize a load of UC4 copies and sold them to people who sold them to CEX/on ebay

C) ???

Auctopus

Christ, of course Sony didn't say the copies CEX had were stolen. That's totally unprofessional as it implicates a company in criminal activity when it could've been the sole decision of an uninformed employee.

It's pretty clear that they were selling the stolen copies but Sony aren't just going to call out another company in a press statement.

raindoc

Christ, of course Sony didn't say the copies CEX had were stolen. That's totally unprofessional as it implicates a company in criminal activity when it could've been the sole decision of an uninformed employee.

It's pretty clear that they were selling the stolen copies.

it's pretty clear they weren't, because the police has been informed and they're still selling them.

AKyemeni

Sony sends copies of games to distributors, in which then they send those games to retailers/small businesses. It's up to the distributors' discretion on whether to send them to retailers early or not. A distributor can send games as early as 2 weeks or as late as 9 hours before midnight release. It's up to them really whether there are early copies or not, not as much as sony or whatever publisher.

packy34

eBay does not allow games to be sold before release so this is advertised as a pre order.

As far as I know they do allow it. They don't allow you to sell things that can't be delivered within 30 days of payment, however. If a game is releasing in under a month they generally allow it.

AKyemeni

As far as I know they do allow it. They don't allow you to sell things that can't be delivered within 30 days of payment, however. If a game is releasing in under a month they generally allow it.
This is correct. Every game out there has been on Ebay days or weeks before release.

Venom Fox

Banned
Sony sends copies of games to distributors, in which then they send those games to retailers/small businesses. It's up to the distributors' discretion on whether to send them to retailers early or not. A distributor can send games as early as 2 weeks or as late as 9 hours before midnight release. It's up to them really whether there are early copies or not, not as much as sony or whatever publisher.
You actually have a good point. Also if Sony never sent copies out, how did a truck load get robbed? Usually trucks get robbed because thieves watch for those trucks on the way to the distribution centers.

Those copies had to be going somewhere.

Edit: Even so, those thieves need to be caught asap and thrown in prison. Fucking sickening to thing someone would harm another person just to rob copies of a game.

AKyemeni

You actually have a good point. Also if Sony never sent copies out, how did a truck load get robbed? Usually trucks get robbed because thieves watch for those trucks on the way to the distribution centers.

Those copies had to be going somewhere.
I think they (stolen copies) were going to the distribution centers because we haven't heard another UK business selling them early yet.

Businesses in NYC have begun to get copies in.

Reasons for distributors to send out copies as early as possible:

1. distributors don't have infinite storage.

2. They want to get their product out to as many of their clients as possible. (Happy clientele)

3. If they can sell more, they can get more from the publisher.

jesu

And like I said, copies have leaked in the US as well... but Sony never sent stock so where did they get those?

Thieves air mailed them?

I'm sure they were talking about UK retail in that statement.

Have they mentioned not shipping to retail in the US yet?

Venom Fox

Banned
I'm sure they were talking about UK retail in that statement.

Have they mentioned not shipping to retail in the US yet?
There are posters a few pages back who say they are going to get copies from US today.

But yeah, that statement was about UK.

Wow shit really did hit the fan.

I work in a retail video games store and right now we recieved a letter with special instructions regarding U4 launch. Stuff like they will start shipping it on 30.04 and no selling it before May 10.

rhino4evr

Wow shit really did hit the fan.

I work in a retail video games store and right now we recieved a letter with special instructions regarding U4 launch. Stuff like they will start shipping it on 30.04 and no selling it before May 10.

Are you in the US? If they start sipping on April 30th, then even more leaks will happen.

Well my days vacation has been authorised in work for May 10th. Grabbed the digital deluxe version from the US store for effectively £38.50 so will enjoy that when I wake up in the morning.

Brief summary of FoxesSocks' progression.

He's approaching the end of chapter 12, so he is past the parts that were shown during the preview events. He said that he's encountered a handful of branching dialogues so far. He's experiencing the "wide linear" aspect of the game. I quote:

"There's a lot of breathing room, plenty to explore."

He will share some spoiler free shots from places already shown, probably later tonight. (photomode shots too)

zsynqx

Made a reddit account just to ask him if the aiming/gunplay feels the same as the beta. :p (don't want another UC3) If it does, then I have zero concerns about the game.

Gurish

Brief summary of FoxesSocks' progression.

He's approaching the end of chapter 12, so he is past the parts that were shown during the preview events. He said that he's encountered a handful of branching dialogues so far. He's experiencing the "wide linear" aspect of the game. I quote:

"There's a lot of breathing room, plenty to explore."

He will share some spoiler free shots from places already shown, probably later tonight. (photomode shots too)

Nice. Waiting for unspoiled shots.

The gaffer that have the game disappointed us :(

Skele7on

Banned

yah

CeX have put a copy aside for me. I'll be going in to collect later.

Bullshit non CEX stores have phone lines in store.

tumblr_o60tbihzdN1rbch1uo2_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom