• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dante

Man, I seriously have gotten hardly ANY tearing at all in this game, and when it does, it's not even bad tearing, it like starts to tears then fixes itself sorta....hard to explain in words. Are different sets getting more tearing?

tinfoilhatman said:
GRAW:2(special fx\particles)
Motorstorm(everything except textures) It's more like nothing but lighting.
COD4 (stable 60fps) Sure... when you're looking at the ground.
Bioshock (art direction\textures) Textures? erm... not really.
Halo3(lighting)
Heavenly Sword(Cutscenes)
PGR3(liquid\fluid\weather) Liquid/fluid? Wth does that even mean? They're just shaders btw... oh and it's PGR4.

Oh, and how come you're still posting? oO

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
Man, I seriously have gotten hardly ANY tearing at all in this game, and when it does, it's not even bad tearing, it like starts to tears then fixes itself sorta....hard to explain in words. Are different sets getting more tearing?

Maybe they're playing it on 1080i or something because tearing isn't a problem for me at 720p.

sprocket

Banned
Dante said:

Anyone who just plays the game will hardly ever see it. If you sit there and spin the camera as hard as you can go you will see a little. But you will never do that in game so its right pointless. :/

deepbrown

tinfoilhatman said:
Wow good reply and accurate I think you have somthing there.

But to me I shouldn't have to "step back and take a look" for these things they should just be there in droves with a game like Uncharted. I should be having "WOW" moments on almost every level with a game like this.

I have to admit I expected the demo to be alot larger than it was, I expected somthing other than the jungle environment we've been seeing for monthes and maybe some indoor action thrown in so MAYBE people can get a good idea of what to expect in the final game instead of just a small snapshot of a single level.
There will be wow moments in the final game, dont you worry. Why give you half the game in a demo?

REV 09 said:
one of my issues with uncharted is that the jungle doesn't look or feel like a jungle. The level is too carved out. I wish Drake was weaving in and out of trees, but that doesn't happen. Instead, there is a 30 yard path between the jungle borders that the player moves through. The fact that you're in a jungle means nothing because the level design could just as easily be outlined in a wherehouse setting. The jungle serves as the level's boundary, not the level itself. In games like Far Cry and even the first level of Halo 3 the jungle is the level. You're weaving in out of trees and vegetation while fighting the game's enemies.

I realize that i've only played 1 level of uncharted and that other levels may have more of an interactive jungle design to them instead of the cookie cutter scenarios that were present in the demo.

I dont know, I cant see how you would think the halo 3 jungle did a better job at all...it felt like a corridor as well actually...its an impressive first level indeed, but visually it just isnt close, the scope is the only thing it has over uncharted, and the demo is just a small segment of the level....the whole game in uncharted is pretty much seemless anyway so...

Farcry and crysis, are just tropical islands...they dont have much level variation etc...jungle environment is detailed but not complex at all

again, ignore tinfoilhat........

quetz67

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
THATS THE DEFFINETION OF A MIXED BAG
Thats just the definition of bad screenshots. When playing the game there arent any MIXED BAGS

Some views look more impressive, some less. But to find a really bad texture is hard and the same goes for polygon edges, it is impressive how they ironed out most problems from the early builds.

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
Maybe they're playing it on 1080i or something because tearing isn't a problem for me at 720p.
I think we've confirmed that...and I can confirm that at 1080i there is some noticable tearing. At 720p no there isnt.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Dante said:

People anoyed by the tearing are looking for it or somthing, seriously the tearing in Drakes game in so minumal these people complaining have probably never even played most 360 games.

tinfoilhatman

quetz67 said:
Thats just the definition of bad screenshots. When playing the game there arent any MIXED BAGS

Some views look more impressive, some less. But to find a really bad texture is hard and the same goes for polygon edges, it is impressive how they ironed out most problems from the early builds.

Here's the catch, the gap between the bad and good screenshots in Drakes is vast enough that I question some of the off screen stuff people keep posting.

Look a the crap screen shot I posted and some of the other off screen hsots other have posted they don't even look like the same game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
tinfoilhatman said:
The problem is for every amazing off screen screenshot of Drakes someone posts I can find another super crappy one like I did just 2 pages ago.

THATS THE DEFFINETION OF A MIXED BAG
That's what Halo 3 is like, though...

Below is a collection of shots taken from Halo 3 (non-bullshot variety). This perfectly illustrates what I was attempting to convey earlier; screenshots do not properly represent the visual impact of a game in person. I think Halo 3 is a fine looking game and feel that these shots do no justice to its presentation, but that doesn't mean they aren't accurate either.

926632_20070921_screen005.jpg

926632_20070921_screen004.jpg

926632_20070921_screen001.jpg

926632_20070921_screen015.jpg

926632_20070921_screen029.jpg

Uncharted (and most other gammes) is much the same way in that screenshots do not accurately capture what it feels like in person. How about some comparison shots captured directly from the demo (though these have lots of compression artifacts, unfortunately)?

1065_0001.jpg

1065_0006.jpg

1065_0014.jpg

tinfoilhatman

dark10x said:
That's what Halo 3 is like, though...

Below is a collection of shots taken from Halo 3 (non-bullshot variety). This perfectly illustrates what I was attempting to convey earlier; screenshots do not properly represent the visual impact of a game in person. I think Halo 3 is a fine looking game and feel that these shots do no justice to its presentation, but that doesn't mean they aren't accurate either.

That last shot looks very nice, but yea the other 2 are what I'm talking about. To me this is what 95% of the demo looked like.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
quetz67 said:
It's pretty much the most complete and glitch free graphics engine I've seen yet on any console. That on top of looking simply amazing and having unmatched animation. It's just overwhelming to me, how good it all looks.

Madman

tinfoilhatman said:
Here's the catch, the gap between the bad and good screenshots in Drakes is vast enough that I question some of the off screen stuff people keep posting.

Look a the crap screen shot I posted and some of the other off screen hsots other have posted they don't even look like the same game.
Your screen was from IGN, who are notorious for their bad screens. I'm not sure if you played the demo, but the actual game looks excellent.

I really don't know what you are trying to accomplish here. The most you are going to get out of this is being put on ignore lists and maybe a ban.

dark10x

tinfoilhatman said:
That last shot looks pretty nice, but yea the other 2 are what I'm talking about. To me this is what 90% of the demo looked like.
So you're saying that this...

1065_0001.jpg

...looks WORSE than this...

926632_20070921_screen005.jpg

???

That first Uncharted shot looks awesome (though the shot itself is loaded with awful compression artifacts).

quetz67

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:

OK, so you prefer to look at shots you dont know how they were taken rather than what the game looks like when you are playing it...OK!

Most others rather play the games once it is out than looking at old screenshots. And I cant remember any of those taking off screen screenshot say "Oh those shots I have taken look so much better than what I actually saw on my TV"

wowfactor

Banned
dark10x said:

Do you know that the textures of the statue has not loaded it up?
This happens when you just dropped down from the parachute.
It is somewhat the same as Gears but in a much lesser extend.

tinfoilhatman said:
That last shot looks very nice, but yea the other 2 are what I'm talking about. To me this is what 95% of the demo looked like.

If the game honestly looks like those last screenshots to you then you need to seriously consider buying a new TV.

This is how it looks on a decent TV.
622cda16b18bc0f41fb53d79f4d22.jpg

dark10x

wowfactor said:
Yeah, you're right. The textures are handled just like UE3, it would seem. The actual textures while playing are insanely detailed for the most part.

tinfoilhatman

dark10x said:
So you're saying that this...

...looks WORSE than this...

???

That first Uncharted shot looks awesome (though the shot itself is loaded with awful compression artifacts).

Not impresed with either of those

Can someone explain to me whats so impressive about that Drakes SS besides the rediculisly simple grass making my eye's bleed?

quetz67

Banned
dark10x said:
This shot is so beautiful...look at that column and the pefect geometry and textures, everything looks handcrafted (most believable ruins since Metroid Prime).

The shadows are just perfect, sharp but smooth enough with great self shadowing. The jungle in the background looks just wonderful, the detail, the lighting, the colors.

Honestly, this shot alone is a work of art.

Dante

tinfoilhatman said:

Can someone explain to me whats so impressive about that Drakes SS besides the rediculisly simple grass making my eye's bleed?

Just.....stop dude. :lol

tinfoilhatman said:

Bro your giving me a migraine please go hound some other forum.

tinfoilhatman

quetz67 said:
This shot is so beautiful...look at that column and the pefect geometry and textures, everything looks handcrafted (most believable ruins since Metroid Prime).

The shadows are just perfect, sharp but smooth enough with great self shadowing. The jungle in the background looks just wonderful, the detail, the lighting, the colors.

YES and if anyone would have taken the time to read reply THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID that shot is very nice but teh other 2 are uninspiring at best.

dark10x

tinfoilhatman said:

The scene is pretty complex, though.

The grass is indeed a bit odd looking at times, but it is anything but simple. It's more complex than the grass you see in most other games (which simply place a single texture on a flat piece of geometry). The grass blades are all individual objects that move around.

The scene looks fantastic in motion with everything moving and swaying in realtime (with detailed shadows present on everything).

I suppose it all comes down to how you look at these things. I can appreciate all of the detail present in that scene and what they are doing on a technical level (plus, I think it looks lovely and interesting to explore).

Kittonwy

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
YES and if anyone would have taken the time to read reply THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID that shot is very nice but teh other 2 are uninspiring at best.

How the fuck can you even stand GRAW 2 enough to put it on your list when you're finding faults with Uncharted? Jeebus.
Indifferent2.gif

cgcg

but yea the other 2 are what I'm talking about. To me this is what 95% of the demo looked like.

We all know you were full of shit from the get go but that just confirms it. Those 2 shots are filled with compression artifacts you idiot.

quetz67

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
stop it, nobody cares about bad or unimpressive screenshots. you can use any game, push your nose against a wall and complain about bad textures and view distance

guess what? yes, those shadows have some rough edges when you stare at them on a screenshot, you cant see that when the game is moving

Raziel

REV 09 said:
one of my issues with uncharted is that the jungle doesn't look or feel like a jungle. The level is too carved out. I wish Drake was weaving in and out of trees, but that doesn't happen. Instead, there is a 30 yard path between the jungle borders that the player moves through. The fact that you're in a jungle means nothing because the level design could just as easily be outlined in a wherehouse setting. The jungle serves as the level's boundary, not the level itself. In games like Far Cry and even the first level of Halo 3 the jungle is the level. You're weaving in out of trees and vegetation while fighting the game's enemies.

I realize that i've only played 1 level of uncharted and that other levels may have more of an interactive jungle design to them instead of the cookie cutter scenarios that were present in the demo.
By that line of reasoning, the large open jungle you crave may as well be a giant warehouse room with several stacks of crates of varying height to weave in and out from.

tinfoilhatman

cgcg said:
We all know you are full of shit from the get go but that just confirms it. Those 2 shots are filled with compression artifacts you idiot.

Comp artifacts have nothing to do with anything regaurding the quality of those SS. All internet SS are full of compression artifacs it's called jpegs.

raziel said:
By that line of reasoning, the large open jungle you crave may as well be a giant warehouse room with several stacks of crates of varying height to weave in and out from.

WOW, yea that makes everything ok then, is this how people justify things....how sad.

I'll leave this thread now since it's been reduced to immature name calling and attacks, good luck with all that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
The scene looks fantastic in motion with everything moving and swaying in realtime (with detailed shadows present on everything).

Even the little fishes in the water cast their own shadows :D

dark10x

one of my issues with uncharted is that the jungle doesn't look or feel like a jungle. The level is too carved out. I wish Drake was weaving in and out of trees, but that doesn't happen. Instead, there is a 30 yard path between the jungle borders that the player moves through.
The jungle is simply a setting and isn't intended to be wide open.

I think the game is better for it as a wide open jungle would have a significant impact on gameplay. Uncharted shares more with Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 than Far Cry. I'm glad they decided to focus on creating such a finely tuned experience. Not everything needs to be open ended to be fun. What you are asking for is an entirely different game.

That blog also says the soundtrack will be available on iTunes!

While the DJ Shadow track is available for download here Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune - the Official Soundtrack will be live on iTunes on Nov. 20th with a digital booklet available. DJ Shadow’s Uncharted: The El Dorado Megamix will be also available on the soundtrack, so please make sure you go to iTunes on Nov 20th and grab a copy! While you’re there, make sure you check out the Insomniac Games “Full Moon Show” Podcast - I love those guys :cool:!

quetz67

Banned
one of my issues with uncharted is that the jungle doesn't look or feel like a jungle. The level is too carved out. I wish Drake was weaving in and out of trees, but that doesn't happen. Instead, there is a 30 yard path between the jungle borders that the player moves through.
One of my main complaints too. I didnt expect a sandbox game but the path to go is too obvious. And worse, there is no reward for exploring. You just find the "invisible" walls where you expect them, no secret pathes to some extra ammo/weapon or an epecially beautiful vista.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
wowfactor said:

Wrong! The textures are loaded on the statue. The reason why you dont see them is because there is a blur effect. The backpack has full normal mapping as well. Certain angles blur out some of the textures. Its the blur effect. Try positioning the camera to look at the backpack in detail. You can see where it the blur effect goes in and out of focus.

Top Bottom