• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dragon

Banned
Littleberu said:
I know, but I get equally angry when you post shit like : "OMG KILLZONE 2 IS SO GONNA BE THE BEST THING EVER" or "UNCHARTED IS COOL, SO COOL RAWWR" and try to spin everything in their advantage.

But that's fanboy babbles. That's part of it. IMO, if we banned poster that compared uncharted to Halo 1, we'd need to ban those who said it looked better than everything. That's, ultimately, the same bullshit.

But that's my opinion.

I can agree that fanboys suck, but I don't think it's the same at all. Comparing Uncharted to the best looking games out there, if it's not the best, it's up there, for the reasons people have stated. I don't understand how that isn't true. That's why comparing it to an XBox game is so retarded. Anyway, you can have your opinion, but I don't think the guy's worth defending.

TheBranca18 said:
BTW, part of it was I love that guy from Firefly and he does the English voice. I think they hit the nail on the head with him.

What? You mean the main lead from Firefly plays Nathan Drake? They should put him in the TV spot, might pull in a few Firefly fans to give it a shot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hammer24 said:
Somehow its funny to see how we now reached the point where critizising a PS3 game automatically deems you a troll worthy of a banhammer. Oh, and sad too.
Just so you know, I checked the demo out at a friends house, because this is one of my favorite genres and I wanted to find out if this game is worth it to finally buy a PS3 for. But its not worth posting the impressions here in this thread.
So you're saying that his Halo 1 comments are grounded in reality?

REV 09

sprocket said:
Yes saying one of the best looking console games made so far looks like halo1 is not trolling. Then going on to say halo3 looks better isn't close to trolling I agree.
saying it looks anything like halo 1 seems to me like a trolling comment, but saying that Halo 3 looks better...i would have to agree with him on that. To me, Sierra 117 looks significantly better than the uncharted demo. am i trolling by saying that?

deepbrown

Mojovonio said:
So does anyone else get a Crash Bandicoot vibe from the exploration areas or is it just me?
Yup I see it. I like it too. The art direction isn't going to please everyone...but I like it a lot. Makes a nice change tbh. Lots of bright, colourful games on the PS3 now. A nice contrast to AC, MGS4, Resistance and KZ2

Littleberu said:
I know, but I get equally angry when you post shit like : "OMG KILLZONE 2 IS SO GONNA BE THE BEST THING EVER" or "UNCHARTED IS COOL, SO COOL RAWWR" and try to spin everything in their advantage.

That's not surprising, i'm sure it bothers you anytime anyone has something positive to say about the PS3.

Dragon

Banned
Mammothtank said:
What? You mean the main lead from Firefly plays Nathan Drake? They should put him in the TV spot, might pull in a few Firefly fans to give it a shot.

I thought it was, but a search on teh net, makes me less sure. It sure sounds like him.

Mojovonio

Banned
deepbrown said:
Yup I see it. I like it too. The art direction isn't going to please everyone...but I like it a lot. Makes a nice change tbh. Lots of bright, colourful games on the PS3 now. A nice contrast to AC, MGS4, Resistance and KZ2

Exactly. Such a nice contrast to all of the drab games out there now.

dark10x said:
So you're saying that his Halo 1 comments are grounded in reality?
I think he's saying that speaking about about a PS3 games negatively is a touchy subject.

The fact is, even though this dumb guy compared Halo 1 to Uncharted, he got ripped apart by a band of Sony wolves.

That's what he wanted.

Mammothtank said:

No, but the composer of Firefly did the music for Uncharted.

Dragon

Banned
Littleberu said:
I think he's saying that speaking about about a PS3 games negatively is a touchy subject.

The fact is, even though this dumb guy compared Halo 1 to Uncharted, he got ripped apart by a band of Sony wolves.

That's what he wanted.

Why shouldn't he have been ripped?

REV 09 said:
saying it looks anything like halo 1 seems to me like a trolling comment, but saying that Halo 3 looks better...i would have to agree with him on that. To me, Sierra 117 looks significantly better than the uncharted demo. am i trolling by saying that?

no not at all...thats a reasonable opinion.. Having said that I think uncharted and a number of games Ive played look, in totality, quite a bit more impressive than H3...the jungle in Uncharted was a lot more impressive to me...but the H3 level is a whole level, we've only seen a small part of this game...that game is impressive in scale but not that much in detail....this game has both I think

Hammer24

Banned
OK, then lets try it out and see where it gets us...
Like I already stated, the 360 is my first console ever. So it took me a moment to get a feel for the sixaxis controller, especially for the movement control on the log and the button layout overall. Let me start in saying that I liked the implementation of the motion control. It neither felt tacked on nor forced, and was easy enough to master even for some old dude like me on his first go on a PS controller to feel satisfying.
But I wanted to critizise, and thats what you´ll get. The first thing I noticed, and really disliked, is the tearing. From reading the thread (some having this problem, some don´t) it should be identifyable if this perhaps only happens if the output is forced to 1080, as was the case at my friends. Sadly we didn´t have the time to fiddle with the settings, our wives wouldn´t let us...
Next point: I missed the free-roaming aspect, something that would have been perfect for a game of this setting and theme. Somehow it felt a bit "on rails", as the passages seemed like tunnels.
Fighting/shooting: very nice. Everyone who loved Gears mechanics will like these too, for the obvious reasons. But I really really hope, that the ratio of fighting/puzzles shown in the demo is not the same in the full game. I love adventure games too much to see this end as a shooter with some strings attached.
Graphically I was as (aside from the bad tearing) amazed as well as underwhelmed. Things like the water and its effects are the best I´ve ever seen - but there were also some pretty meh-worthy textures that simply don´t blend with the overall high quality. Thats probably where so much of the fanboy flamewars come from - every side will find screenies to "support" their position.
Conclusion: is, that I came to no conclusion. I´m still a bit cautious, how big the puzzle part, and thus the gameplay will be overall. I´m still sure I´ll pick up a PS3 at some point, and its highly probable Uncharted will go along with it. But it didn´t convince me to get both day one. Yet?

PS: Really, the Firefly guy voices the english? WOW, gotta hear that, as I only heard the (somewhat lackluster) german sync.

kay

REV 09 said:
That's actually in the realm of possibility :lol

Littleberu said:

That's what he wanted.

Speaking of games of any system is touchy subject when you make inane comparisons. I have seen it first hand for both other platforms.

Mojovonio

Banned
Why do these threads always have to resort to system wars bullshit.

Do you guys play games for enjoyment or to add ammunition to your arguments?

sprocket

Banned
REV 09 said:

No since you are not saying stupid things like it has low rez textures. Aesthetic opinions I can except. But say idiotic things like comparing halo1 or going against facts is just blatant trolling.

I can say .. Halo3 doesn't have self shadowing or real time lighting and only cast realtime shadows on 1 or 2 main objects a level with bad aliasing. That would be fact.

But if I said .. Halo3 looks like an nes game. then start naming off technically inferior PS3 games as being better. That would be trolling.

Mojovonio said:
Why do these threads always have to resort to system wars bullshit.

Do you guys play games for enjoyment or to add ammunition to your arguments?

I know damnit...there should be a policy...dont respond to trolls...Ill follow this thinking now

Mojovonio

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I know damnit...there should be a policy...dont respond to trolls...Ill follow this thinking now

That's all you have to do.

Just add them to your ignore list and continue with the conversation.

Personally, I dont think the graphics in Uncharted are perfect at all...some areas look quite sparse etc (the ground vegetation)...but I find the overall effect to be VERY impressive...and from vids Ive seen, other areas look much better than this one..

Firewire

Banned
Wow, I just read up on the thread & I'm really surprised to see all this Halo stuff in here!

Anyways had a buddy over last night & he played some Uncharted for 2 hours! Jeez couldn't get him off the damn demo! Anyways he seems to be sold, apparently he's gonna try and track down either a 60GB or 80GB today, and pre-order Uncharted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nelsonroyale said:
Personally, I dont think the graphics in Uncharted are perfect at all...some areas look quite sparse etc (the ground vegetation)...but I find the overall effect to be VERY impressive...and from vids Ive seen, other areas look much better than this one..
They aren't perfect...but neither are those in any other game right now. When you are dealing with natural environments we simply don't have the technology to nail every aspect of it. Even Crysis doesn't pull it off (though it certainly is much closer than anything else we've seen to date).

Mojovonio

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

No game is perfect.

The PS3 isn't a dream machine that you could make every area super detailed.

You see that in every game. Some areas just look better because they're more important to the game, where some areas are just transitionary and why bother spending resources on them?

dark10x said:
They aren't perfect...but neither are those in any other game right now. When you are dealing with natural environments we simply don't have the technology to nail every aspect of it. Even Crysis doesn't pull it off (though it certainly is much closer than anything else we've seen to date).

Dammit, exactly my thoughts.

Mojovonio said:
No game is perfect.

You see that in every game. Some areas just look better because they're more important to the game, where some areas are just transitionary and why bother spending resources on them?

Yeah, I was just commenting that I noticed discrepancies..funnily enough it was when I was more the first time I played, when I was looking for imperfections somewhat...on subsequent play throughs the game has impressed me no end

Mojovonio

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, I was just commenting that I noticed discrepancies..funnily enough it was when I was more the first time I played, when I was looking for imperfections somewhat...on subsequent play throughs the game has impressed me no end

I didn't find it much of a discrepancy at all. I noticed that the area where you first meet the larger group of enemies a little sparse on environment detail, but you have to consider the extra things that require resources.

Some games don't handle this well at all though. Drake's makes it more or less seamless.

sprocket

Banned
Mojovonio said:
No game is perfect.

yeah there is some things I see that can be improved upon with stronger hardware. Like the grass not casting shadows. But you know even crysis grass do not cast shadows.

There are things yes but its still beyond anything else out. And its not just graphics. Animation and AI are going beyond as well.

Mojovonio

Banned
Firewire said:
The only real question, when will Mojovonio bite & buy a PS3? :lol

Oh for sure, its only a matter of time. I came close a few times this month, but its just a horrid month to spend that much money, and then Xmas in December...

I really think I'll get one early spring, or maybe one day i'll just do it.

Firewire

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Oh for sure, its only a matter of time. I came close a few times this month, but its just a horrid month to spend that much money, and then Xmas in December...

I really think I'll get one early spring, or maybe one day i'll just do it.

It would make the most awesome x-mass gift to yourself! :lol

quetz67

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Next point: I missed the free-roaming aspect, something that would have been perfect for a game of this setting and theme. Somehow it felt a bit "on rails", as the passages seemed like tunnels.
I found it obvious for qite some time that this is rather an "interactive movie" where they replaced stupid button sequences with good gameplay, that still has a movie like feel to it.

But yeah, the gamplay parts just lead you from cutscene to cutcene, nothing here for the fans of free roaming games. Thats probably the reason it wont get many GOTY awards.

Mojovonio

Banned
Firewire said:
It would make the most awesome x-mass gift to yourself! :lol

I know. I should just ask for Futureshop gift cards from everyone and pay the difference.

Actually, that's a really good idea.

Hmmmmm.

Oh, I wanted to ask you guys something, though its a little OT.

I have my entertainment center and I have one shelf left with about 7-8" of clearance.

Is that enough for the PS3? Both in height and ventilation requirements.

Hammer24

Banned
quetz67 said:
I found it obvious for qite some time that this is rather an "interactive movie" where they replaced stupid button sequences with good gameplay, that still has a movie like feel to it.

On the other hands that was one of my fears which got destroyed - I hate (overboarding) QTA´s. This is the way it should be done to replace them.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The Hug Dog said:
I'm not sure thats possible...

So U.S account...anyone?

quite easy, just fill out bogus info, use a hotmail-account for the email, and lookup yellowpages.com for a valid address.

sprocket

Banned
People put too much into demos. Its going to be like how the media criticized unfinished games so much that now Devs do not show as much as they use to. If we keep harping on demos just for fanboyism eventually there will be no demos to harp on.

SaitoH

I completed a melee only run through the demo. Quite fun and tough. Did one melee attack where Nathan dropped to the ground in front of the guy and booted him in the nuts. Said something to the effect of, "No kids for that guy."

I laughed.

Firewire

Banned
Mojovonio said:
I have my entertainment center and I have one shelf left with about 7-8" of clearance.

Is that enough for the PS3? Both in height and ventilation requirements.

Is that top to bottom or available space on each side? I'd try and give it as much space as possible. When the PS3 is on for awhile, that huge fan just wips out the heat big time.

sprocket

Banned
SaitoH said:
I completed a melee only run through the demo. Quite fun and tough. Did one melee attack where Nathan dropped to the ground in front of the guy and booted him in the nuts. Said something to the effect of, "No kids for that guy."

I laughed.

I threw a grenade by accident from up on the cliff when you get to the first main gun fight area. And he said something like " hey fellas!" They all turned around and then freaked out when the grenade landed. :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
sprocket said:
People put too much into demos. Its going to be like how the media criticized unfinished games so much that now Devs do not show as much as they use to. If we keep harping on demos just for fanboyism eventually there will be no demos to harp on.
Yeah its kind of annoying when people start with the "too short" "there was a lack of enemies" "I felt I was on rails". Its a damn demo, people expect the full game :) oh well I guess you can't help it.

One thing I did find off on the game is the fact you couldnt climb every rock. I mean I see a certain piece of rock formation but I can't climb it while other taller ones I can. I guess Assasin's Creed claiming that all ledges are interactive has spoiled me.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SaitoH said:

I laughed.
:lol that sounds awesome. Damn you guys are making me want to replay this thing again.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Two very very very cool things though(and I"m not done giving this game chances)

1. The fact that you weren't FORCED to use the cover system is awsome, you could still use cover effectivly(most places) without going into the cover mode.

2. Ever better was the fact that you could switch from left handed to right handed aiming by clicking the left stick. I'm sure this has been done by other games before but I can't remember anyone doin it even remotly as well as this.

edit....I'm going to sit down and give this demo another go again tonight. This time in the dark so I don't have the afternoon sun glaring off my screen.

deepbrown

SaitoH said:

I laughed.
Wah!? I wanna do it! NO FAIR.

Kittonwy

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
Finally got around to playing the demo this weekend, was very excited about this game

Great
+Gunplay
+Animations
+Shadowing
+jumping\climbing

Needs Improvment
-cover system
-textures and overall graphics look

Someone please tell me the graphics get better, the jungle was uninspiring at best MANY games this gen have already surpassed the low poly jungle scenes in Drakes demo. The ground textures are HORRIBLE it actually detracts from teh game and gameplay. They call that grass?!?!? Please see Halo3 and COD4 grass\plant life.

I liked the way the foliage moves and the shadows but sorry not enough to impress. What was up with the Halo1 bumpmapped cave textures all over teh jungle just looked really fake and out of place.

It's possible I just had to high of expectations but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I had hoped, this was a day 1 purchase for me but now it looks like a renter. Fricken Motorctorm is get lonely and I"m out of PSN games to buy. :-|

The cover system was really tiy or miss for me, I think I actually like it more than gears though.

Don't get the "low poly jungle scene", I would like to see outside of Crysis what other games are pushing more polys or even comparable polys with no pop-ins, no serious LOD or DOF.

Personal preference on the graphics aside, I'm not sure how much better you would like the cover system to be, it's already the best out there, the cover spots actually feel more tangible than just being cover spots.
Indifferent2.gif

Mojovonio

Banned
Firewire said:
Is that top to bottom or available space on each side? I'd try and give it as much space as possible. When the PS3 is on for awhile, that huge fan just wips out the heat big time.

No, that's top to bottom.

I may take my DC away and lower the shelf, but that'll break my heart :(

sprocket

Banned
I was jumping cover between two stones and there was a barrel between them. TO my surprise even the gun powder barrels can be used for cover.

Top Bottom