• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Kittonwy said:
Don't get the "low poly jungle scene", I would like to see outside of Crysis what other games are pushing more polys or even comparable polys with no pop-ins.

Personal preference on the graphics aside, I'm not sure how much better you would like the cover system to be, it's already the best out there, the cover spots actually feel more tangible than just being cover spots.
Indifferent2.gif

I had multiple times where it brought me to the incorrect cover location when I hit O, I like the cover system better than gears thats for sure it's much more fluid and free flowing. I don't feel locked in everywhere I go like I do in gears.

To me the graphics are just such a mixed bag. some of it is absoulutly beautiful while the other is just revolting.

The jungle is fine but the leaves and folage modeling aren't anything special.

REV 09

one of my issues with uncharted is that the jungle doesn't look or feel like a jungle. The level is too carved out. I wish Drake was weaving in and out of trees, but that doesn't happen. Instead, there is a 30 yard path between the jungle borders that the player moves through. The fact that you're in a jungle means nothing because the level design could just as easily be outlined in a wherehouse setting. The jungle serves as the level's boundary, not the level itself. In games like Far Cry and even the first level of Halo 3 the jungle is the level. You're weaving in out of trees and vegetation while fighting the game's enemies.

I realize that i've only played 1 level of uncharted and that other levels may have more of an interactive jungle design to them instead of the cookie cutter scenarios that were present in the demo.

Firewire said:
Is that top to bottom or available space on each side? I'd try and give it as much space as possible. When the PS3 is on for awhile, that huge fan just wips out the heat big time.

I wonder if you could effectively petrify a frog by putting it in a small cage behind the PS3, turn up the thermostat and set the system to fold for a few days.

deepbrown

Ps. this was the demo that couldn't fit on a dvd...did they discover compression?

pps. you can shoot holes in the leaves and they'll stay there :)

ppps. I like that how upclose everything looks amazing, and then when from a far it looks like a painting...completely matching the artwork.

Madman

tinfoilhatman said:
I had multiple times where it brought me to the incorrect cover location when I hit O, I like the cover system better than gears thats for sure it's much more fluid and free flowing. I don't feel locked in everywhere I go like I do in gears.

To me the graphics are just such a mixed bag. some of it is absoulutly beautiful while the other is just revolting.

The jungle is fine but the leaves and folage modeling aren't anything special.
God damn, what is special in your book? I think the leaves and foliage are some of the most impressive things about Uncharted.

Madman

deepbrown said:
Ps. this was the demo that couldn't fit on a dvd...did they discover compression?
Was it? I think it was cut short compared to that one. I think right after the end of the demo is where
the U-boat was.

tinfoilhatman

Madman said:
God damn, what is special in your book? I think the leaves and foliage are some of the most impressive things about Uncharted.

The way they animate and shadow are top notch but tome they look blocky

I think REV 09 hit the nail on the head for me as far as why I"M so unimpressed with the jungle.

"The fact that you're in a jungle means nothing because the level design could just as easily be outlined in a wherehouse setting. The jungle serves as the level's boundary, not the level itself. In games like Far Cry and even the first level of Halo 3 the jungle is the level. You're weaving in out of trees and vegetation while fighting the game's enemies."

Now maybe the entire jungle isn't like this and there's places where your actually walking through a jungle but these type of comparisons are going to be made like it or not.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
deepbrown said:
pps. you can shoot holes in the leaves and they'll stay there :)
But bullets don't affect corpses at all, they don't even register impact to interact with the ragdoll physics that are still in play at that point. That's a bit disappointing.

tinfoilhatman

kaching said:
But bullets don't affect corpses at all, they don't even register impact to interact with the ragdoll physics that are still in play at that point. That's a bit disappointing.

It is but to be honest I like teh way the corpses blend into the ground, most games the dead bodies look tottally out of place with ehlighting and surroundings. I take it this way instead of hvaing bodies move when I shoot them, their dead I could care aless if they move or not.

deepbrown

kaching said:
But you can jump and down on them :p You know I think that might be because of the teen rating. IN FACT, I know it is. I don't know why but shooting at a live person is apparently better than a dead person. They do look creepy...

Mojovonio said:
Sure, but its a stupid idea.

The enemy will also go after barrels if you're close enough to one as well. It's a simple thing, but I can remember AI ever going for environmental explosives on purpose before.

I just have to wonder if the people not impressed by the graphics are playing on a SD television or have something wrong with their TV's.

I have been playing it on a Sharp 1080p Aquos and I have to say that though Bioshock and Heavenly Sword look great it is along with Ratchet but to a even larger degree the only game where I have ran 10 feet ahead and had to stop and marvel at the way some leaves were blowing in the distance or get right next to a rock covered in moss and be confounded at how wet it really looks. Or the fact that all the trees look different and the water seriously is so crystal clear it makes you thirsty. What can you possibly have against a game that looks so amazing it dose not seem debatable to me. It is a game that has transcended so many boundaries graphically that it just seems crazy not to admit it. Its like people that would try to argue that Gears doesnt look good by busting out the occasional bad ground texture. It is the first game since Gears that is so gorgeous that you have to resort to nitpicking to really complain about anything.

Gattsu25

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Don't get the "low poly jungle scene", I would like to see outside of Crysis what other games are pushing more polys or even comparable polys with no pop-ins, no serious LOD or DOF.
This seems awfully familiar
Gattsu25 said:
In fact, 9/10 times that GAF mentions Crysis is when they discredit it.

'This is the best looking games I've ever seen (Crysis doesn't count)'

tinfoilhatman

BruceLeeRoy said:
I just have to wonder if the people not impressed by the graphics are playing on a SD television or have something wrong with their TV's.

I have to wonder if those RAVING crazily about how great the graphics are have ever played another next gen console or a high end PC.

tinfoilhatman said:
I have to wonder if those RAVING crazily about how great the graphics are have ever played another next gen console or a high end PC.

If these dont count let me know:

Games that impressed me the most this next gen:
1.Gears
2.COD4
3.Ratchet and Clank
4.Bioshock(PC all specs maxed)
5.World of Conflict

I am curious what game right now is at the top of your graphic list?

Gattsu25

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
^^ I discount any game that requires I get Doc Brown to travel to the year 2020 to get me a MAC that can run it.
That's your problem. MACs and Gaming go together like love and AIDS

tinfoilhatman said:

I haven't seen much better on "another next-gen console". Some things might have an edge and the game is certainly not without flaws, but as far as doing this much right on this many levels? Not really. But then people are RAVING crazily about the graphics in COD4 despite that game featuring nearly every flaw that games typically get ragged on for, so I guess arguing about graphics on NeoGAF is somewhat like running laps around one-armed squid.

Dragon

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:

Well considering you compared it to the original Halo, I have to wonder if you can see one foot beyond your face.

TheBranca18 said:
Well considering you compared it to the original Halo, I have to wonder if you can see one foot beyond your face.

Wow o_O that leaves me speechless.

Kittonwy said:
So? It's not like I'm putting down Crysis here, it's in a league of its own in terms of tech.

Yeah Crysis is just plain insane. It lost a lot of magic for me when I tried to run it on my overclocked SLI machine that is only a year and a half old and it turned into a slide show. But when I actually get a system that can handle it Ill start giving it some more love.

Littleberu said:
I know, but I get equally angry when you post shit like : "OMG KILLZONE 2 IS SO GONNA BE THE BEST THING EVER" or "UNCHARTED IS COOL, SO COOL RAWWR" and try to spin everything in their advantage.

But that's fanboy babbles. That's part of it. IMO, if we banned poster that compared uncharted to Halo 1, we'd need to ban those who said it looked better than everything. That's, ultimately, the same bullshit.

But that's my opinion.
bioshock.jpg

"Bioshock is teh awesome" "Bioshock is GOTY Fact"

and :lol

tinfoilhatman

BruceLeeRoy said:
If these dont count let me know:

Games that impressed me the most this next gen:
1.Gears
2.COD4
3.Ratchet and Clank
4.Bioshock(PC all specs maxed)
5.World of Conflict

I am curious what game right now is at the top of your graphic list?

(Graphically)Right this minute it's

GRAW:2(special fx\particles)
Motorstorm(everything except textures)
COD4 (stable 60fps)
Bioshock (art direction\textures)
Halo3(lighting)
Heavenly Sword(Cutscenes)
PGR3(liquid\fluid\weather)

I realize motorstorm uses the same basic textures over and over again but dam there's not a single time I see that game that I don't see somthing that impresses me.

I'm really waiting to see the indoor area's in person the SS I've seen so far look much more impressive than the jungle area.

Madman

tinfoilhatman said:
The way they animate and shadow are top notch but tome they look blocky

I think REV 09 hit the nail on the head for me as far as why I"M so unimpressed with the jungle.

"The fact that you're in a jungle means nothing because the level design could just as easily be outlined in a wherehouse setting. The jungle serves as the level's boundary, not the level itself. In games like Far Cry and even the first level of Halo 3 the jungle is the level. You're weaving in out of trees and vegetation while fighting the game's enemies."

Now maybe the entire jungle isn't like this and there's places where your actually walking through a jungle but these type of comparisons are going to be made like it or not.
I understand that, but of the examples brought up only Far Cry did a proper jungle. Either way, I think Uncharted does foliage and leaves very well, espcially with the dynamic wind.

I love most of what Uncharted has to offer from the ten plus times I've played the demo. But nothing's perfect, and here's what I wish could be possibly added in the sequal.

* More context sensitive melee openers. It'd be great if Drake was able to melee from different angles instead of only from enemies directly in front of him at the same height. For example, when jumping over a low wall with an enemy crouching on the other side and hitting Square.

* The ability to kick barrels forward.

* The ability to pick up and throw active grenades.

* Better auto aim on the weapons, mainly pistols, when running. The AK47 and the shotgun all have a semi auto-lock on when you're not using the manual aiming which I enjoy because it gives the game a cinematic flair, yet the pistol doesn't quite work the same.

----------------------------------

Also here's some pointers for using cover effectively with the great controls.

*When using cover on a pillar, hold left or right and hit X. This will make Drake move around to the other side of the pillar and move away from it. However if you press O while Drake moves to the other side, he'll remain pressed against it after moving.

* When behind low cover, pressing any direction and X makes you vault over it. Holding Left or Right and pressing O makes you do a roll either to new cover, or if none exists, Drake will begin running after the roll. If you do not hold a direction and hit O, Drake will step away from the cover and stand up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Such as?

I've played a great deal of the best looking games across multiple platforms INCLUDING Crysis on a high-end PC (which is damn impressive). Outside of Crysis, I think Uncharted bests everything else.

Previously, I would say that Gears of War was the best looking game I've seen until Uncharted. Uncharted uses all of its techniques along with a whole host of others. Uncharted features more complex geometry, superior shadows, high dynamic range lighting, higher quality motion blur, anti-aliasing, and a significantly more complex animation engine.

You named some other examples, but I don't see how they even begin to compare. What is it about them that impresses you more? What makes Uncharted so imrpessive is that it literally mixes just about every major technique together to create a complete package. There is always a sense of give and take with games these days but Uncharted seems to make very few compromises.

tinfoilhatman said:

COD4 (stable 60fps)
Halo3(lighting)

You just provided a list of games that do one or two things well, and in some cases they do a whole lot of things poorly. Good going.

lets face the facts about the barrels for a second.
when you shoot at them they explode, this means they are full of flammable liquids, and a barrel full of flammable liquids is pretty damn near impossible to move.
just saying..

filopilo

dark10x said:
Such as?

I've played a great deal of the best looking games across multiple platforms INCLUDING Crysis on a high-end PC (which is damn impressive). Outside of Crysis, I think Uncharted bests everything else.

Previously, I would say that Gears of War was the best looking game I've seen until Uncharted. Uncharted uses all of its techniques along with a whole host of others. Uncharted features more complex geometry, superior shadows, high dynamic range lighting, higher quality motion blur, anti-aliasing, and a significantly more complex animation engine.

You named some other examples, but I don't see how they even begin to compare. What is it about them that impresses you more? What makes Uncharted so imrpessive is that it literally mixes just about every major technique together to create a complete package. There is always a sense of give and take with games these days but Uncharted seems to make very few compromises.

It will be even much more incredible if all of that was completly streamed transparently....oh wait

tinfoilhatman

AltogetherAndrews said:
You just provided a list of games that do one or two things well, and in some cases they do a whole lot of things poorly. Good going.

What each of those games has done for me is provide a "WOW" moment, the demo didn't provide me with any such moments outside of the cutscenes.

Dragon

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
What each of those games has done for me is provide a "WOW" moment, the demo didn't provide me with any such moments outside of the cutscenes.

So it did provide you with a "WOW" moment. Why wasn't Uncharted included in your list then?

tinfoilhatman said:

COD4 (stable 60fps)
Halo3(lighting)

I realize motorstorm uses the same basic textures over and over again but dam there's not a single time I see that game that I don't see somthing that impresses me.

I'm really waiting to see the indoor area's in person the SS I've seen so far look much more impressive than the jungle area.

Thank you so so much for that list you just cleared up a lot of things for me.
I feel no need to defend Uncharted anymore.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
tinfoilhatman said:
What each of those games has done for me is provide a "WOW" moment, the demo didn't provide me with any suck moments outside of the cutscenes.
No "suck" moments, huh?

Seriously, though, it sounds like you are simply looking for "big" moments rather than appreciating everything on the whole. If you step back and look at what the game is doing it becomes clear that it is one of the most impressive games yet released. It's a very balanced release while each of those others games are far from it.

This reminds me of this one friend I have that never fails to go against popular opinion just for the sake of opinion. I remember when MGS2 first came out I played the very beginning of the game and he was like "eh I think Panzer Dragoon looks better than that" I used to get furious over it but now its just cracks me up that some people desperately need to define themselves as unique by just going against the grain any chance they can.

Evlar

Banned
I hate these graphics arguments. They always devolve into to pissing matches over minutiae.

I think Uncharted looks eye-popping, I greatly enjoy the style of presentation as well as the tools being brought to bear to realize that style. I would say it's my favorite experience in terms of visuals so far this gen, a judgement that isn't defined by success in marking enough boxes in a checklist of software tools but rather by my own subjective appreciation of the complete effect. Thus my next favorite games visually in this gen would be Super Mario Galaxy's low-res psychadelic playgrounds and Bioshock's drowned steam-punk.

tinfoilhatman

dark10x said:
No "suck" moments, huh?

Seriously, though, it sounds like you are simply looking for "big" moments rather than appreciating everything on the whole. If you step back and look at what the game is doing it becomes clear that it is one of the most impressive games yet released. It's a very balanced release while each of those others games are far from it.

Wow good reply and accurate I think you have somthing there.

But to me I shouldn't have to "step back and take a look" for these things they should just be there in droves with a game like Uncharted. I should be having "WOW" moments on almost every level with a game like this.

I have to admit I expected the demo to be alot larger than it was, I expected somthing other than the jungle environment we've been seeing for monthes and maybe some indoor action thrown in so MAYBE people can get a good idea of what to expect in the final game instead of just a small snapshot of a single level.

VonGak!

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
Halo3(lighting)

:S what's up with people like tinfoilhatman who automatically think that because Halo 3 had to be upscaled to reach 720p the lighting is automatically the best ever?

It's because the 360 has too little eDRAM and the lighting values would have to be truncated if they hadn't made the frame buffer smaller.

No magical lighting, just the 360 GPU being short of 2MB eDRAM forcing the devs to make compromises (like they do with everything else ^.^).

tinfoilhatman said:

Don't you mean PGR4? Anyway, I dunno if fluid is the right term to be used.

-------

Why are we bothering with this person? 3 pages of debunking should be enough.

sprocket

Banned
VonGak! said:
:S what's up with people like tinfoilhatman who automatically think that because Halo 3 had to be upscaled to reach 720p the lighting is automatically the best ever?

It's because the 360 has too little eDRAM and the lighting values would have to be truncated if they hadn't made the frame buffer smaller.

No magical lighting, just the 360 GPU being short of 2MB eDRAM forcing the devs to make compromises (like they do with everything else ^.^).

Don't you mean PGR4? Anyway, I dunno if fluid is the right term to be used.

-------

Why are we bothering with this person? 3 pages of debunking should be enough.

Halo3 lighting isn't great at all. its very old school. when you go into a shadow your whole model dims. no self shadowing. baked background lighting and shadows.

Kittonwy

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:

COD4 (stable 60fps)
Halo3(lighting)

I'll take that list minus GRAW 2 and PGR3. I'm not sure other than it not running at 60fps and that there's no snow/rain that Uncharted is lacking in any of these areas, it's got just about the most feature-rich tech in a console game right now.

tinfoilhatman

sprocket said:
Halo3 lighting isn't great at all. its very old school. when you go into a shadow your whole model dims. no self shadowing. baked background lighting and shadows.

The problem is for every amazing off screen screenshot of Drakes someone posts I can find another super crappy one like I did just 2 pages ago.

THATS THE DEFFINETION OF A MIXED BAG

sprocket said:

Yes comming from someone that has very likely never even played the game, professionals that get paid to review games heavily disagree with you.

Kittonwy

Banned
sprocket said:

Sorry for the correction but there is self-shadowing in Halo 3, just that the human models are pretty poor and the self-shadowing on them is not that great, there is some form of HDR for the outdoor areas, but the indoor areas are less impressive, and yes they did throw a lot of light maps in the indoor areas that when I look at chief's shadow around a supposed light source it's wrong.

Madman

tinfoilhatman said:
The problem is for every amazing off screen screenshot of [insert next gen game] someone posts I can find another super crappy one like I did just 2 pages ago.
Fixed.

Anyone can find a bad shot of virtually any game. You are being ridiculous.

Looking back at everything you have posted, I think it's time you to move on. You are not here for rational debate. You are here for derailment.

Top Bottom