• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I have a final copy and was playing it this weekend. It's pretty amazing looking, and I was having fun... besides someone criticizing my aiming skillz (and then promptly dying). :lol

Will hopefully play more tonight, because once I have Mario in my hands... well, I ain't playin' anything else until I see a nice 120 in the corner.

sprocket

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Why would you leave the fuel in the open like that, especially when they are armed.

Where else they going to put it?

also ITS JUST A GAME! Thats worse then people who point out plot holes in movies. :/

Greg

jstevenson said:
I have a final copy and was playing it this weekend. It's pretty amazing looking, and I was having fun... besides someone criticizing my aiming skillz (and then promptly dying). :lol

Will hopefully play more tonight, because once I have Mario in my hands... well, I ain't playin' anything else until I see a nice 120 in the corner.
I call dibs on your copy of Uncharted once you get Mario.

Good deal? Yeah, I think so too.

antiloop

Blimblim said:
My only issue with uncharted's water is that it's too clean. I can see the water in that fish shot being pristine, but in that submarine from a few weeks ago it looked a bit out of place. This is a rusty old submarine, and yet the water looks like it's just been filtered for drinking.
Nitpicking of course, the effect itself is excellent.

I agree. But overall I think they are about on par.

Just awesome in their own way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the_id said:
Question: Water in Uncharted and Bioshock. which is better?
It depends. In Bioshock you have two types of water shaders - DX9 level (also used on X360 ver.) and DX10 level (which you only have on PC of course). In Bioshock, only the water with DX10 shaders for example reacts to your, and others, movement through it, like it does in Uncharted. In fact, water in Uncharted looks very simillar to DX10 Bioshock water in other ways too, just the general look I mean.

Exploding barrels make for explosive FUN

By the way, did anyone else try meleeing an enemy from behind and get Nate to jump onto their back? I watched my cousin do it, but the guy had a grenade in his hand and it was a murder suicide, they both died instantly (awesomely intense and funny moment BTW, God I love this game). What does Nate do to them when he jumps on them? Does he choke them out, or tackle them, or what?

kitch9

Banned
Bebpo said:
I think the idea of graphics just being about who can do the most advanced shaders, per-pixel-lighting, "raw power", etc... is laughable and I used to review games. Graphic scores should be about how things come together on screen for the overall image. Okami on PS2 got a higher score in graphics than most Xbox/GC games. Did it outdo the technical achievements of Xbox games that had been doing things like running in 720p or having bump mapping? Of course not, but the overall image was more impressive.

Bioshock is the recent example of this. It's not the technical aspects that got it high scores in graphics all around, it's the art direction that did it.

Agreed..... It hacks me off because the UT3 engine makes it near impossible to implement AA, simply because they decided to render shadows, which don't look any different to other real time shadows, in a new and "improved" way.

Jaggies kill the image, I'd take AA over a slightly softer shadow any day of the week....

Firewire

Banned
jstevenson said:

Thought you were going on vacation? Or are you back and working on R.............! :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Marconelly said:
It depends. In Bioshock you have two types of water shaders - DX9 level (also used on X360 ver.) and DX10 level (which you only have on PC of course). In Bioshock, only the water with DX10 shaders for example reacts to your, and others, movement through it, like it does in Uncharted. In fact, water in Uncharted looks very simillar to DX10 Bioshock water in other ways too, just the general look I mean.

Hmmm.....DX10 level eh?

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm getting used to pulling off the brutal combo now, and the dropkick in the face is afw rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Greg

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey Marconelly,
absolutely brilliant job on that countdown man cant believe how long that might have taken you.
Nice job.
Yeah, not too many people commented on that... it's amazing.

eso76

I've been saying this for quite some time, devs need to friggin drop those explosive barrels.

Speaking of which

concerned021.jpg

concerned022.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Firewire said:
Thought you were going on vacation? Or are you back and working on R.............! :D

Hahahaha... no... I'm still working, just haven't been on the boards. I was up at SCEA last week for meetings (they have a copy of Rock Band too... total awesomeness), and then took Friday off as I had company in town for the weekend.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
quetz67 said:
I found it obvious for qite some time that this is rather an "interactive movie" where they replaced stupid button sequences with good gameplay, that still has a movie like feel to it.

But yeah, the gamplay parts just lead you from cutscene to cutcene, nothing here for the fans of free roaming games. Thats probably the reason it wont get many GOTY awards.

Then I guess we should throw out COD4 out of the GOTY talks, too, amirite?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey Marconelly,
absolutely brilliant job on that countdown man cant believe how long that might have taken you.
Nice job.

Greg said:
Yeah, not too many people commented on that... it's amazing.
Haha, I honestly thought noone even cared about it (which made me a bit sad, but only for a... ZOMG shiny penny on the floor!)

Yeah, it took me a few days of some spare time which I didn't have much, but I wanted to do the whole thing from scratch, program every singly thing myself and all (like I know ND would do it! ;)

spwolf

AstroLad said:
And the graphics being great and there being discussion about specific graphical glitches aren't necessarily incongruous. You won't see point-by-point discussions for games that have shit graphics--you'll just see, "this game looks like shit" for 10-20 pages depending on how good the Photoshops are.

kind of... i can name few examples one for the game (but I wont) that is just coming out, that looks really, really, really bad compared to Uncharted, and thread that is full of posts "OMG graphics rock", "OMG best production values ever" when they are actually mediocre (bar everything else that could be the best ever).

also those screenshots are pretty bad, jaggies everywhere... it looks a lot better on my Plasma. No weird lighting effects either.

Mesijs

jstevenson said:
Hahahaha... no... I'm still working, just haven't been on the boards. I was up at SCEA last week for meetings (they have a copy of Rock Band too... total awesomeness), and then took Friday off as I had company in town for the weekend.

Hey, stop playing games and go develop them. I want Resistance 2! :D

And still have to buy R&C because of the bug in the review version in Challenge Mode. Thanks Insomniac, for spending money on your games. :lol

But I'm busy with Crushing in Uncharted now. Such pure, good gameplay, Uncharted is what gaming makes great.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:

Yep yep. I have Bioshock 360 and Uncharted demo water is definitely better. I haven't played the PC version on DX10 but then it's freakin' DX10.
Indifferent2.gif

the_id

Marconelly said:
It took me a bit longer than anticipated to make this, and it's definitely more ambitious than I originally planned, but it's here:

The Official Interactive Countdown to Uncharted executable and screen saver

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NNT8DJ0U

When you download the archive above, it will have three files, and they all show the same basic thing that looks like this:

6nucspv.jpg

So, in the archive there's an .exe that can be run in a window on a desktop (no instalation required), and two installer files for the screensavers - one shows countdown stretched in fullscreen, one shows it unstretched with black borders around. You'll need a very hefty machine to run the fullscreen one, especially if you want the smooth animation during the payoff sequence (when the counter reaches 0). For example, my P4/3GHz is not enough to get smooth animation in fullscreen.

As I mentioned, this countdown is interactive, so you can click / rollover various things, and stuff will happen. Main point of interest is of course the treasure chest in the middle, but you can click on other things as well. The design philosophy of the countdown was similar to that of the game it counts down for (as much as it can be applied to something as simple as this) :)

- There's animation blending and selection from the pool of several random animations for the treasure chest.
- The responsiveness comes first: When you click on the chest it will animate instantly, even if you click very fast.
- There's a "Next Gen Mode", which is enabled by default, but can be disabled by clicking on the countdown numbers. It enables/disables motion blur, complex shadowing etc.
- It's multilingual! Click the logo at the top for that well known 'other' logo
- The payoff sequence will make you smile and say WOW! (well, I hope)
- Best of it's kind? Welp, I can't think of too many game countdowns this ambitious :p

Quoted again for this page.

Firewire

Banned
jstevenson said:

Batgirl????

I hope they give you at least 2 or 3 weeks off JS! You guys have a ton of work ahead of you, making R............! :D

(I have to keep trying :)

Marconelly said:
Haha, I honestly thought noone even cared about it (which made me a bit sad, but only for a... ZOMG shiny penny on the floor!)

Yeah, it took me a few days of some spare time which I didn't have much, but I wanted to do the whole thing from scratch, program every singly thing myself and all (like I know ND would do it! ;)

Ahhhhh man I totally feel you GAF is not the kind of place to get things validated. But I understand the time involved and me and all my friends have it now its a total gem man thanks again.

Kittonwy

Banned
jstevenson said:

Gimme HDR and self-shadowing and dynamic shadowing in Resistance 2 rawr... or at least tell Mike Action to gimme dem, please?
Indifferent2.gif

I wanna Resistance 2 to be teh prettiest FPS in teh whole universe.

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
I don't know what the hell they use but they get better caps than any of the big sites.

I can think of a couple of options

1. Direct HDMI caps (on debug PS3, like some reviewers/developers) on something like BlackMagic Design's Intensity
2. Like #1, but with HDCP strippers on normal PS3
3. Capture from component video outputs by Intensity Pro/other HD Component capture cards
4. Frame buffer captures with developer tools

I haven't had time to build my setup yet, ha ha ! I'll probably use my HDFury and a custom made A/D converter (or more simple if there is a Video DAC on HDFury, but I haven't checked yet) to feed the uncompressed 24bit RGB data to my PC.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Kittonwy said:
I've played the demo many times and you're wrong.
Indifferent2.gif

So hang on, are you saying that there is no screen tearing in the demo? Are you blind?

And for those who are claiming the framerate is rock solid, what causes screen tear?

Oh yeah... framerate drop.

Seriously, the level of self-inflicted delusion is astounding. Uncharted is an awesome game, but there are framerate issues in the demo.

eso76

spwolf said:
also those screenshots are pretty bad, jaggies everywhere... it looks a lot better on my Plasma. No weird lighting effects either.

seriously, those screens make the game look like a total mess, you can't possibly be impressed with those: I can find captures that would make double agent look better.
In fact the game looks ***nothing*** like that on my hdtv.

VonGak!

Banned
needlesmcgirk said:
My only complaint that I haven't seen come up from the demo is that when you kill a guys, their body's dissapear. The guns are still there but after a while the bodys seem to disapear. maybe I'm crazy.

So pumped for this game though.

Well they are forced to do so or else the frame-rate would take a serious hit when new enemies spawned.

After all the character models are quite detailed, what was it 5x (10x for main characters) the amount of polygons compared to Gears of War without having less characters on screen (minimum 8, dunno if anyone with the review code can tell if Uncharted features more on screen characters later on in the game).
-------

I dig this shootout compilation from the demo:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27667.html

Kittonwy

Banned
Solomon said:
So hang on, are you saying that there is no screen tearing in the demo? Are you blind?

And for those who are claiming the framerate is rock solid, what causes screen tear?

Oh yeah... framerate drop.

Seriously, the level of self-inflicted delusion is astounding. Uncharted is an awesome game, but there are framerate issues in the demo.

I'm not saying there's no screen tearing, there is but it's rare, and not the fucking horrible screen tearing that you're trying to suggest.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
tinfoilhatman said:
Comp artifacts have nothing to do with anything regaurding the quality of those SS. All internet SS are full of compression artifacs it's called jpegs.

O'Rly?

jpeg100.jpg

jpeg1.jpg

jpeg1002.jpg

jpeg10.jpg

If you are saying that compression artifacts cannot dilute the quality of a screenshot, then you are blind - especially if you cannot spot the difference. Or just ignorant. I'll go with the latter.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
way disappointed. at least if i take the demo as a good barometer of the gameplay, i thought it would be much less a shooter than it is.

looks great, controls fine, but the shooting mechanics are nothing special--certainly nothing to build an entire game around.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Kittonwy said:
I'm not saying there's no screen tearing, there is but it's rare, and not the fucking horrible screen tearing that you're trying to suggest.

My experience running the demo (@720p) shows near constant screen tearing in the main combat zones any time I quickly rotate the camera. It's pretty brutal and even my wife and her friends commented on it and they are as technologically aware as my cat. Perhaps less.

Kintaro said:
I wonder how framerate whores survive any game generation.

By hiding out in your mom's enormous vagina?

Top Bottom