• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

vpance said:
Two pics

7x0xnc7.jpg

6petipz.jpg

It's wow, that's all there is to say.

OMFG. That´s it. Best lighting ever CONFIRMED.

J-Rzez

Mesijs said:
It isn't even about the genre or being cynical or whatever. It's just that I am the reviewer and nobody else. I played the demo at Leipzig, I played the preview version of two hours three times, I completed the full game on Hard and the I played half of the game on Crushing. If there's anybody who knows shit about the game it's me, and not somebody else who didn't even play the game and makes the fucking decision to pull the review offline. Thankfully I have a good editor in chief and a good final editor, so they supported me and put it back online.

And by the way, I think my review was well written and I perfectly explained why I gave this score. People who criticize this only know about other reviews or a demo. Ridicolous and plain bad.

More proof than I needed to know my suspicions are true. The media is seriously trying to bury the PS3, and this game's rating is proving it one place at a time.

JB1981

Had a decent time with the game tonight. I started it late after getting back from Beowulf. The lighting and shader work is great. The texture work leaves a little to be desired in some areas, though. I was rather surprised by the slow buildup the game has early on - very filmlike. And masterfully told as far as videogame standards go.

I am already liking Drake and Elena but my biggest concern is with the scenarios. I hope things don't start to get repetitive because I feel like the shootouts are already headed in that direction. I'm gonna get back into it tomorrow morning after some rest but I certainly have some doubts about just how long this game will hold my attention. I am hoping for some variety and some changes in the way the gun battles unfold. I guess we shall see.

The Chef

I just got past the demo section.

My god could this game possibly look any better?
Thanks for the shots vpance - I was wishing I could get a shot during that scene. I've never seen anything quite like that in a game.

dante786

Banned
JB1981 said:
Had a decent time with the game tonight. I started it late after getting back from Beowulf. The lighting and shader work is great. The texture work leaves a little to be desired in some areas, though. I was rather surprised by the slow buildup the game has early on - very filmlike. And the story is actually rather well written as far as videogame standards go.

I am already liking Drake and Elena but my biggest concern is with the scenarios. I hope things don't start to get repetitive because I feel like the shootouts are already headed in that direction. I'm gonna get back into it tomorrow morning after some rest but I certainly have some doubts about just how long this game will hold my attention. I am hoping for some variety and some changes in the way the gun battles unfold. I guess we shall see.

Good impressions, really looking foward to seeing what you think. I'm getting this game, just depends whether sooner or later, and you always seem to be one of the more level-headed posters around here, so I look foward to further impressions by you.

You don't by chance have assassins creed yet, do you?

JB1981

dante786 said:
Good impressions, really looking foward to seeing what you think. I'm getting this game, just depends whether sooner or later, and you always seem to be one of the more level-headed posters around here, so I look foward to further impressions by you.

You don't by chance have assassins creed yet, do you?
I actually bought it tonight for the 360. Unfortunately my 360 decided it wanted to eat all my disks, so I have to send it off for repair. :(

tanod

when is my burrito
Bebpo said:
Hey,
Since you died in #1, did your system take forever to reload that checkpoint? Mine went to loading screen and sat for like a minute >_<

That section was very, very Naughty Dog. I could almost hear the Crash music. :p

It was just a few seconds. Didn't seem very long. *shrugs*

joesmokey

Bah, I just had the sound completely go out on me D:. Happened
after the Jet Ski level while climbing the tower (rotating the chains)
. I think my only option is to restart the game D:.

Still having a blast with the game. I too was disappointed with
the jet ski part. It wasn't as fun as it looks, having to stop and shoot was really annoying and took away from the "awesomeness" feeling of the speed. The jeep scenes were really well done (albeit they were really lenient on difficulty).

The one complaint that I do have at the moment with this game is the nature of the gunfights. You go to all these acrobatic places to get from point a to point b, only to have 15 people storm you and shoot you at each one. I suppose you can say it's the natives, but it really pulls you away from what you're doing and makes everything seem kinda pointless.
At all these remote locations enemies are at every step of the way. I bet they will all be there around the treasure location too. Why couldn't they just get the treasure themselves (no map, yadda yadda)? It would've been better storywise to say they were protectorates of the treasure or something, would've been more reasonable imo.

Baker

Banned
I fucking love this game. However, I'm about ready to throw my controller through the window because I've been killed twice already from the bluetooth signal screwing up. It's been acting up a lot more lately...

My save file says I'm 49% complete and I've put in under four hours (Hard).

Sorry for the potty mouth, but jesus fucking christ did I say WOW on level two when
the U-boat shows up
. I'm pretty sure that was a combination of the best graphics, lighting, and atmosphere I've ever seen in a video game.

sprocket

Banned
Loudninja said:
What about you buddy, how long it took ya?

Im not done yet . just have got alot of medals so far and was looking through everything I have unlocked so far.

the different modes that effect games is cool example
flip mode .. think zelda tp on wii

Loudninja

sprocket said:
Im not done yet . just have got alot of medals so far and was looking through everything I have unlocked so far.

the different modes that effect games is cool example
flip mode .. think zelda tp on wii

Oh ok, thanks :D

sprocket

Banned
Kaako said:
O yea?
Best exploding barrels ever in a video game throughout the history of video games.
HA!

You notice they have volumetric smoke clouds when they explode!? thats pretty freaking awesome.

B-Ri

Kabuki Waq said:
game is so awesome almost perfect.

2 things bug me the Vsync issues and the fact that enemies take WAY too long to die.

get better at headshots. I swear i had teh 10 headshot medal before the end of chapter 3, and am just kills away from the 50 at chapter 6.

Loudninja

B-Ri said:
get better at headshots. I swear i had teh 10 headshot medal before the end of chapter 3, and am just kills away from the 50 at chapter 6.

I am so damn good at headshots, took 3 guys out in a second, pow pow pow, they all gone!

Ok not second, but I good! :D

Xellos

Great game so far (~4 hours). Probably the best Naughty Dog has ever done. The action and platforming are spot-on, and the visuals are just phenomenal. My only gripes are that fighting the pirates gets pretty repetitive, and
using exploding barrels to open pathways in the first ruins was pretty lazy design (but oh well -- where there are action games there will be exploding barrels).
Still, fantastic game!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
sprocket said:
You notice they have volumetric smoke clouds when they explode!? thats pretty freaking awesome.
It is truly awesome. I save the barrels till I've killed all the enemies lol. Then I zoom in and fire away and chase the fire/black smoke as it withers away in thin air.
Soooo purrrrrty. ^_^

dfyb

Banned
Loudninja said:
Thought so!thanks, thats good length
yeah and again that's 8 and a half hours of non stop playing between two people. and i think it's a good length for a game with extended replay value due to all the hidden stuff and achievements etc. technically i don't own it (a friend bought it and i bought galaxy, so we'll swap later) and he just took it home :(.

i was impressed with the environments (good variety) and i didn't think the platforming was too easy or anything. it reminded me a lot of the AC videos i've seen, except i'm actually pressing buttons to jump on all the stuff.

the puzzles weren't super hard or anything, but they were entertaining and it did involve problem solving. the journal gives you hints similar to folklore. i wouldn't say the puzzles were groundbreaking or anything, but they're not lesser puzzles than you'd find in other games.

similarly, elena's AI is comparable to other games' "partner" AI. she reminded me a lot of alyx in half-life 2. so again not groundbreaking, but not worth criticizing the game over when other games are no better in this area.

the visuals are amazing. partly because they just look so good asthetically, but what kept impressing me throughout the game is that no two walls/floors look alike.

there's also good variety with the weapons. you'll be picking up different pistols and rifles throughout the game -- there's even another shotgun.

i've never been one to overanalyze the enemy AI in games, but combined with the wide variety of animations they have, the enemies in uncharted were noticeably better than other games. they'll slide into cover, they'll roll into cover, they'll dive into cover. they'll poke out on top, the side, and sometimes they even lay on the ground poking out of cover to shoot at you. they make an obvious attempt to flank you but they won't always come after you if you try to turtle. they'll limp and hold their gut when shot in the respective areas.

later in the game you fight more armored humans and they have
helmets -- shooting them in the head pops their helmet off
. some people may not like how many bullets it takes to kill the later enemies, but it wasn't a huge deal -- shotguns are still lethal in close range.
paranormal stuff ahead: you do fight non-humans. nothing too outrageous. reminded me of farcry a bit, but i think uncharted handled it well
. the ending was cool and
it does leave it open for an interesting sequel :).
the last fight was quite hard.

i didn't get a chance to check how many medal points or treasures i had accumulated at the end of the playthrough, but i believe i have less than half of the 1000 medal points you use to unlock stuff and probably about half of the total treasures. i could very well get a chance to play again this weekend but he's going to let me borrow it over thanksgiving too. i'm excited to play it with dualshock 3 and i'm getting a new TV on black friday.

i'd give it a 9.5 or so -- everyone should get a chance to play it and it really does successfully combine great elements of games like RE4, gears, and prince of persia into one solid package that other games will likely be inspired by. i can't think of a game i'd give a 10 so don't bother asking "why only 9.5" or whatever :lol. based on the standards of reviewers on 360 games, it'd easily get a handful of 10's. the flaws are few and minor and i think it has good replay value with all the achievements, treasures, and unlockables that can effect gameplay and asthetics. as far as singleplayer action third person shooters go, it's at the top of the list.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Baker said:
.Sorry for the potty mouth, but jesus fucking christ did I say WOW on level two when
the U-boat shows up
. I'm pretty sure that was a combination of the best graphics, lighting, and atmosphere I've ever seen in a video game.

Totally agree,I just got up to that part and DAMN :O :O :O

dante786

Banned
JB1981 said:
I actually bought it tonight for the 360. Unfortunately my 360 decided it wanted to eat all my disks, so I have to send it off for repair. :(

Classic 360, I love it and hate it so much. Meanwhile, I still have to play galaxy before I get either this or AC, and Mass Effect takes priority over both....but I do waste money, and I do love games, so ill probably get one or both of them before its advisable anyway.

Loudninja

dfyb said:
yeah and again that's 8 and a half hours of non stop playing between two people. and i think it's a good length for a game with extended replay value due to all the hidden stuff and achievements etc. technically i don't own it (a friend bought it and i bought galaxy, so we'll swap later) and he just took it home :(.

i was impressed with the environments (good variety) and i didn't think the platforming was too easy or anything. it reminded me a lot of the AC videos i've seen, except i'm actually pressing buttons to jump on all the stuff.

the puzzles weren't super hard or anything, but they were entertaining and it did involve problem solving. the journal gives you hints similar to folklore. i wouldn't say the puzzles were groundbreaking or anything, but they're not lesser puzzles than you'd find in other games.

similarly, elena's AI is comparable to other games' "partner" AI. she reminded me a lot of alyx in half-life 2. so again not groundbreaking, but not worth criticizing the game over when other games are no better in this area.

the visuals are amazing. partly because they just look so good asthetically, but what kept impressing me throughout the game is that no two walls/floors look alike.

there's also good variety with the weapons. you'll be picking up different pistols and rifles throughout the game -- there's even another shotgun.

i've never been one to overanalyze the enemy AI in games, but combined with the wide variety of animations they have, the enemies in uncharted were noticeably better than other games. they'll slide into cover, they'll roll into cover, they'll dive into cover. they'll poke out on top, the side, and sometimes they even lay on the ground poking out of cover to shoot at you. they make an obvious attempt to flank you but they won't always come after you if you try to turtle. they'll limp and hold their gut when shot in the respective areas.

later in the game you fight more armored humans and they have
helmets -- shooting them in the head pops their helmet off
. some people may not like how many bullets it takes to kill the later enemies, but it wasn't a huge deal -- shotguns are still lethal in close range.
paranormal stuff ahead: you do fight non-humans. nothing too outrageous. reminded me of farcry a bit, but i think uncharted handled it well
. the ending was cool and
it does leave it open for an interesting sequel :).
the last fight was quite hard.

i didn't get a chance to check how many medal points or treasures i had accumulated at the end of the playthrough, but i believe i have less than half of the 1000 medal points you use to unlock stuff and probably about half of the total treasures. i could very well get a chance to play again this weekend but he's going to let me borrow it over thanksgiving too. i'm excited to play it with dualshock 3 and i'm getting a new TV on black friday.

i'd give it a 9.5 or so -- everyone should get a chance to play it and it really does successfully combine great elements of games like RE4, gears, and prince of persia into one solid package that other games will likely be inspired by. i can't think of a game i'd give a 10 so don't bother asking "why only 9.5" or whatever :lol. based on the standards of reviewers on 360 games, it'd easily get a handful of 10's. the flaws are few and minor and i think it has good replay value with all the achievements, treasures, and unlockables that can effect gameplay and asthetics. as far as singleplayer action third person shooters go, it's at the top of the list.

as I thought, thanks man!

YYZ

what site did mesijs write the review for?

I think I'm slightly past halfway, I'm on the part after
the jetskiing bit, it's very frustrating because I keep getting owned and the next checkpoint is farther than usual. I guess I'm not cut out for console shooting, *sigh*.

joesmokey

YYZ said:
what site did mesijs write the review for?

I think I'm slightly past halfway, I'm on the part after
the jetskiing bit, it's very frustrating because I keep getting owned and the next checkpoint is farther than usual. I guess I'm not cut out for console shooting, *sigh*.
The key is (for me anyway) to stop slightly around each turning point in the canal, because then a new branch of enemies will appear. Take them out there, and the barrels, and you should be good to go.

And for more time comparisons, my save file says I'm at 59%, and I'm about 4.5 hours played (and I wouldn't consider myself necessarily a fast player).

Just picked this game up earlier tonight, got to Chapter 3 and I have to say I'm not feeling it too much. My main beef is with the controls which don't feel right, like they're not as tight as they're supposed to be. Plus the shooting feels off as well, really slow and silted and the aiming also feels too lose but I'll adjust to see if that helps. The weapons don't feel all that powerful and the main culprit here are the weak sound effects and the fact that enemies don't seem to react as strongly as they should to them. Call of Duty 4 has pretty much spoiled me as far as any type of shooters go. The platforming is pretty good but the level design isn't really interesting. Hopefully that changes.

Graphically the game looks damn incredible although the animation isn't as good as good as I hoped and is definately not the best animation out there. As far as textures and lighting go Uncharted pretty much beats the pants off everyone, not to mention the ridiculous amount of geometry the game is pushing.

So far I'd give the game a 7 or an 8. Very solid effort but nothing mindblowing or special.

Ploid 3.0

k1s3k1 said:
^ im just worried that it may turn up like the demo before it was fixed..

I think all game presses are the same also. Just the label printing, this saves a lot of money and one of the bonuses of having blu ray and a console that's not region locked for it's games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Systems_id said:
Just picked this game up earlier tonight, got to Chapter 3 and I have to say I'm not feeling it too much. My main beef is with the controls which don't feel right, like they're not as tight as they're supposed to be. Plus the shooting feels off as well, really slow and silted and the aiming also feels too lose but I'll adjust to see if that helps. The weapons don't feel all that powerful and the main culprit here are the weak sound effects and the fact that enemies don't seem to react as strongly as they should to them. Call of Duty 4 has pretty much spoiled me as far as any type of shooters go. The platforming is pretty good but the level design isn't really interesting. Hopefully that changes.

Graphically the game looks damn incredible although the animation isn't as good as good as I hoped and is definately not the best animation out there. As far as textures and lighting go Uncharted pretty much beats the pants off everyone, not to mention the ridiculous amount of geometry the game is pushing.

So far I'd give the game a 7 or an 8. Very solid effort but nothing mindblowing or special.

Adjust the aiming sensitivity. Should help some of those issues.

About 3 hours in so far. I'd probably rate it a solid '8' right now. The story and characters are excellent, as is the sound design. Shooting is a lot of fun, and I like the creative ways of taking on opponents.

I'm not totally blown away by the graphics. It looks really good, but it's not 'best graphics ever' like I keep reading. The animations are good but the character still floats a little and some transitions aren't too smooth. Definitely the weakest part.

Dante

Just got to the demo level: Chapter 4

Oh My God.

Where to start? The story and dialogue are so goddamn refreshing and well written, makes most every other game feel like it was penned by grade schoolers.

The graphics blow away every other console game i've seen to date, especially the lighting and shadow work. After playing COD4 it's amazing how you can walk up to any surface and marvel at its unprecedented detail.

The animation is consistantly surprising me. especially in tight corridors Drake will randomly place his hand on a wall, or the edge of a doorway, it's the little details that truely make him feel alive.

This is the first game i can remember where i literally use the walk feature as opposed to running everywhere simply because its just too damn pretty.

Also, i was shocked how much gameplay variety there was up till now. One chapter had practically no gunplay, and gotta love that
run toward the camera a la Crash Bandicoot section.

Sound is another area it excels in, so many different sound effects in the jungle, and some damn good music tracks already, can't wait to pick up that OST on iTunes :)

Also glad to see Elena's aim isn't too shitty, as she helped me take out a few pirates along the way.

Well gotta get back to it, overall exceeding my expectations, and continually upping the ante.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hate you all :( Not for playing the game early, but for giving me the false hope. Every time I get determined to stop searching and just wait for that call from EB, someone pops in and suggests another store in Canada that apparently has the game. Local TRU didn't have it either, but the lady working there even gave me false hope for a second saying something like "Ah, Uncharted, I think we have it, but I'm, not sure if we sell it yet - let me see... ah, no we don't have it yet".

JB1981 said:
Had a decent time with the game tonight. I started it late after getting back from Beowulf. The lighting and shader work is great. The texture work leaves a little to be desired in some areas, though. I was rather surprised by the slow buildup the game has early on - very filmlike. And masterfully told as far as videogame standards go.
Really? Of all things... I really don't think I've seen any console game with textures better than this, at least based on the demo and screens of some of the later areas shown. Unless you think artistically in some areas perhaps?

How did you like Beowulf btw? Is it easy to get used to those a bit weird looking real life-but-not quite actors?

Dante said:
The graphics blow away every other console game i've seen to date, especially the lighting and shadow work. After playing COD4 it's amazing how you can walk up to any surface and marvel at its unprecedented detail.
Yeah, the shadow quality is simply amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. No idea how they've done it to look so good.

Bulla564

Banned
Been playing this game, and it is simply awe inspiring. Like others have mentioned, I walk throughout the game, out of pure amazement. It is the kind of game that you can't wait to get back to, and there haven't been many of those out lately.

My only small issue? the combat. Playing on Normal, I get my ass handed to me when I am swarmed by enemies from all directions. It got really frustrating in a few parts, but perhaps in the end, this is not the fault of the game. I'm slowly getting more used to the controls.

On the other hand, the combat has one amazing highlight: with such smart and aggressive enemy AI, the game forces you to stop being a pussy, and start going after them equally or more aggressively. In tight situations, you won't last long behind the same cover. Once I figured that out, it is how I got through those frustrating parts, and they ended up being immensely rewarding.

dfyb

Banned
gamerx said:
How is this game underrated?
it's reviewing consistantly lower than it should, compared to similar games.
Dante said:
Holy crap, I didn't realise from the demo you could run away from enemies and blind fire over your shoulder!

:D
there's a part in the full game where this is specifically utilized. just one example where uncharted breaks the mold and does something fresh.

gamerx

dfyb said:
it's reviewing consistantly lower than it should, compared to similar games.

there's a part in the full game where this is specifically utilized. just one example where uncharted breaks the mold and does something fresh.
IGN 9.1 out of 10
Eurogamer 9 out of 10
PlayStation: Official Mag (US) 9 out of 10
GameSpy 4.5 out of 5
GamePro 4 out of 5
hmm...

Top Bottom