• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Flo_Evans

woohoo GF went to sleep!

oh jeez exploding barrels scattered among the ancient ruins!

Still some tearing @ 720p, but not as bad as when the demo was upscaling.

You NEED to turn the aiming speed up 2 clicks. It is way too sluggish on normal. The shooting feels good to me, I think too many gamers have been coddled by auto aim.

Platforming was a little meh at first (keep in mind I have been playing mario galaxy all week though :lol ), but after I got to the
fortress
its on like donkey kong. Best level so far, the jungle sections feel a bit corridor like (at least the early ones) hopefully those open up too.

I am liking the treasure, but I wish they where a bit harder/more involved to get. like pick a lock or something. It just kinds like oh here is a gold cup sitting in the corner glowing like crazy but none of the other 30 people that just ran thru here saw it :lol

The bonuses are nice, I like how you can switch them on/off in game. Really ace presentation all around. Great music, wonderfully designed menus (my inner usability demon is pleased).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Got the game, on chapter 6 now. So amazing.

I noticed some tearing, some texture pop-in, but nothing to keep the game short of a 10 in graphics. But it's butter smooth.

Talked to a friend that's driving around to get the game, he says one Best Buy he called got in 60 copies and it sold out.

Rawrsomness awesomeness.

reilo

AltogetherAndrews said:
... what?
Mesijs said:
So, my review at Gamer.nl got temporarily offline because the 'boss' thought it was not right to give a 10/10. Then other editors who didn't play the game criticized this rating and thought they could base their own opinion on a demo and... on other reviewers opinions!

Then my editor-in-chief and final editor (how do you call it...?) agreed with me and put the review back online.

Then I got fucking angry because of this fucking bullshit.

He gave it a 10/10. The rest of the staff protested, and he had to take it down. They said the score was "too high."

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
reilo said:
but nothing to keep the game short of a 10 in graphics. But it's butter smooth.

Really? You could see the game amongst all the jaggies?

I just got back from the egames expo in Melbourne AU and they were running Uncharted in the Sony crate(yes you read right, crate) and the game looked horribly crippled by jaggies. It was the worst case of it I have ever seen. Hopefully I was playing an early build or some shit, but since this game is pretty much out, I'd say it was the final version.

The game was fun to play though, and pretty smooth, but man, I think most of us should be happy the game even broke into the 9's for graphics, because while you can see there's a lot going on, and the game SHOULD look great, the jaggies just don't let you view that splendour. Hopefully there was some setting readjustment to be done.

Admittedly it won't stop me from buying the game. Like I said, it was fun to play.

Dante

Shpeshal Ed said:

I just got back from the egames expo in Melbourne AU and they were running Uncharted in the Sony crate(yes you read right, crate) and the game looked horribly crippled by jaggies. It was the worst case of it I have ever seen. Hopefully I was playing an early build or some shit, but since this game is pretty much out, I'd say it was the final version.

The game was fun to play though, and pretty smooth, but man, I think most of us should be happy the game even broke into the 9's for graphics, because while you can see there's a lot going on, and the game SHOULD look great, the jaggies just don't let you view that splendour. Hopefully there was some setting readjustment to be done.

Admittedly it won't stop me from buying the game. Like I said, it was fun to play.

jaggies?? :lol

Dizzan said:
Must have been connected with the wrong cables cos there is barely a jaggie in sight in the demo.

The same holds true with the real game. The game has the occasional screen tear & pop-in but that is about it. No jaggie issues at all with this game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
gketter said:
The same holds true with the real game. The game has the occasional screen tear & pop-in but that is about it. No jaggie issues at all with this game.

Well then it must have been a cable/setting/tv/whatever issue, because man, what I saw today made my eyes hurt.

I'm still buying the game but shit man, I so hope there was just something weird going on there and you guys aren't just in denial over how the game really looks.

I honestly hope you guys are right, cos I'm looking forward to this game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
HomerSimpson-Man said:
The game has been shown to be native 720p with 2xAA. Just ask the pixel counting obsessed dudes at beyond3d forums.

A HA!!! That might be it. I mean, the game was running on a 1080p Bravia, but is there ANY setting that could have caused it to look like that? Like some sort of upscaling nightmare setting?

reilo

Shpeshal Ed said:

Like I said, 10/10 in graphics. Nobody questioned Gears of War's graphics when that game came out, despite its numerous flaws which are much more prominent than Uncharted's.

Shpeshal Ed said:

Ive played the game...it has far less jaggies than games like Gears and H3...which aren't that bad in the first place

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
nelsonroyale said:
Ive played the game...it has far less jaggies than games like Gears and H3...which aren't that bad in the first place

MOST games these days (aside from Ratchet and Clank) have jaggies. But I have NEVER seen anything like what I saw today with Uncharted.

Like I said, hopefully it was just a problem where I saw it.

Shpeshal Ed said:
MOST games these days (aside from Ratchet and Clank) have jaggies. But I have NEVER seen anything like what I saw today with Uncharted.

It must have been though, because like Ive said, Ive played the game and it is better in this regard than alot of games...take AC for example

G-Bus

Banned
Sorry if this was posted before. Knowing GAF it probably was... Here it is again!

"What aspect of the game are you least happy with and why?

Evan Wells: Well this is going to sound strange because it looks so nice, but I'd say the water. And not because there is anything wrong with it but very early in our design stages we wanted to do a lot more fluid dynamics that really affected gameplay. It was cut from the plan very early because of the technological challenges that it presented. But it's something that we want to take another stab at in a future title."

" As a developer, do Naughty Dog feel that optimising code to get rid of immersion-breaking anomalies like tearing etc are high on their list of priorities?

Evan Wells: Hah! I knew the screen tearing question was coming! We obviously take the look of the game very seriously and we want to create the most beautiful experience possible. So we walk a very fine line. We try to put as much on the screen as possible which of course has an impact on the framerate. If the game occasionally slips below 30FPS we have a choice to make... do you want to drop the framerate down to 20FPS or let the screen tear momentarily. We opted for the latter. It happens very infrequently and we feel that the increased number of polygons and effects that we can use outweighs the occasional artifact."

Any chance of a 'Hat and Whip' patch in future for us Indy fans? ;)

Evan Wells: We have a lot of great unlockable costumes, but no "Hat and Whip" (that's the truth!) For the truly hardcore we have a treat. If you collect all 1000 medal points you can unlock
"Doughnut Drake"
and I won't spoil what that is, but it's totally worth it.

Lots more here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87721

KTallguy

Banned
Just played up to the 5th chapter. I'm fricking loving it.

Hats off to Naughty Dog, you guys made a fricking AWESOME game, that's both fun to play and cinematic.

im on the
18th
chapter right now, I had to take a break because my eyes are getting to tired and shit is about to shit the fan, I want to be fully awake to for it.

so far it is an awesome game, like...really awesome, I like it better than Gears of War and I really enjoyed that game.

and some of the unlockables are hilarious,
next gen filter = brown and bloom overload
:lol

Awntawn

Shpeshal Ed said:

You might want to check that TV bro 3;

Crysis arrived in the mail today and I got to give it a good 45 minutes before I popped in Uncharted, and I DARE say, I'd put them even between what each thing does/doesn't. Crysis running on all Very High except Post Processing, Shadows, and Object Detail (High on those) at 1280x1024 on my 8800GT. Uncharted actually looks better in some aspects with regard to textures quality and mapping, lighting, animation, and even the way the foilage reacts to the way you run through it. To be fair Crysis is a lot more open and is fairly impressive in that regard. But to be able to say it looks comparable would have sounded absurd even to me until I saw them both back to back.

The water... WOW. I'd thought it was okay in the demo, but the other parts in the game where it's deeper and you can really see the rippling while swimming and whatnot... WOW. Best water on a console game so far hands down. Looks way better than it did in all the videos, and I was absolutely stunned seeing it in real time. I'd even say it was better than Crysis's water if not for the fact that you can actually submerge underwater in that one.

Given Crysis has room to improve as hardware specs go up, it's still amazing how a console game can compare at this level. I'll admit I've seen quite a bit more tearing and pop-in in some stages in the final build than there was in the demo, but damn does it look so much better. If you can ignore how incredible the rest of the game looks and nitpick on those minor problems that don't touch the gameplay in any way whatsoever, you have problems.

In terms of gameplay, I have no idea why they showed off that level for the demo. The sequence immediately before that one was absolutely amazing, both visually and action-wise. I suppose you gotta save your trump cards. Damn this game is impressive, and the story is flowing by so smooth. Definitely a GOTY contender. Between all the titles this November, this is probably the best gaming month I've ever seen 3;

I sure hope word of mouth and hype picks up on this game now that it's out and it ends up being at LEAST the hit Resistance was, because even the good reviews aren't doing Uncharted justice.

quetz67

Banned
Linkzg said:
and some of the unlockables are hilarious,
next gen filter = brown and bloom overload
:lol
screenshots?!

and does the game tell you how many treasures you missed in a certain area/level?

Kittonwy

Banned
Dudes did you see some of the torches? The flame looks awesome, casts shadows AND it's got that bluish color at the bottom.
Indifferent2.gif

quetz67

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Dudes did you see some of the torches? The flame looks awesome, casts shadows AND it's got that bluish color at the bottom.
Indifferent2.gif
good to hear, in the earlier movies torches didnt cast shadows

reilo

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Dudes, did you notice the amazing shadows cast by the boat and powerlines on Elena as she was on the phone in the first chapter just before Drake and Sullivan were about to speed off in the boat? So awesome.

Best part was in chapter four when you are platforming the huge ass waterfall, and then you shoot the barrel [afw] on that jeep at the end of the broken bridge for it to explode and fall down so you can platform onto the higher ledge.

Loudninja

reilo said:
Dudes, did you notice the amazing shadows cast by the boat and powerlines on Elena as she was on the phone in the first chapter just before Drake and Sullivan were about to speed off in the boat? So awesome.

Best part was in chapter four when you are platforming the huge ass waterfall, and then you shoot the barrel [afw] on that jeep at the end of the broken bridge for it to explode and fall down so you can platform onto the higher ledge.

:0

Forsete

The animation is consistantly surprising me. especially in tight corridors Drake will randomly place his hand on a wall, or the edge of a doorway, it's the little details that truely make him feel alive.

Really? He does this? Wow. Talk about a new level of animation.

Dante said:
The U boat!!!

He never goes through a doorway the same way!

actually, if you go back through a door and return through that same door a second time, it does the same animation. That entire sequence is really influenced to play out as it does and you are given little control over what you can do, it is almost like between a cutscene and gameplay, very odd.

but the game still makes you say 'wow' even when you are near the end, I mean, it isnt like subtle beauty where you try and soak in the world to notice it, it is in your face and apparent when you see some areas.

YYZ

I just finished the game, holy fuckballs what an experience!!

I was playing on normal and I still sucked in a lot of parts =(

Later on in the game, you really get into it with all the gunfighting and stuff. The platforming is a refreshing change for me because I don't play much in that genre, but there were many parts where I was wondering where the hell to go/jump so I ended dying many times in those parts. Even though I suck at it, I realize the gunplay is pretty damn awesome, it's more the fault of having to use a console controller.

The dialogue and story are something else, truly professional. If the right people were involved, this story could stand well on its own as a full-fledged action-adventure movie, like one of those big summer movies. The story I found very cool, I'm not sure where people get the impression that it's cliché. Truly, the presenation in this game is the best I've seen, second only to the God of War series and surpassing it in some aspects (God of War has a special place in my heart).

If Sony Santa Monica could somehow implement the high level of animation and graphical prowess seen in Uncharted, then God of War III is a shoe-in for GOTY whenever it comes out. My only gripe about the graphics is that some things are low-res for some reason so they look out of place (even after the textures are done loading). I think developers still have trouble in making realistic faces and skin, many times Drake and Elena would look odd and even creepy (too shiny, no texture), but not all the time. I believe this is a problem with many next-gen games that attempt realistic graphics. Almost forgot to mention lighting, it really makes the game in many parts, simply astounding. The texture and lighting in this game are at a level of polish I have not seen before (I'm not the most varied gamer so if you disagree then I won't throw a fit). Sound I had no problems with, it's not really something one should notice if true immersion does occur.

A small note about the length of the game, I thought it was perfect. Just when I reached the point of, "ok is this going to end soon?", it does finish wrapping up.

This is truly a next-gen experience and the quintessential example of what Sony has in store for its gamers with the PS3.

Gameplay: 9/10, there were some parts that could've been better such as the
last jetskiing section up the rapids
. The platforming bits caused me some frustration as well as being stranded not knowing where to go next a few times. I can't fault the gunplay, I think it's my own preferences with the KB+M that is causing me some heartache.

Story and Presentation: 10 all around.

Graphics and Sound: 9.5, as mentioned before there were just some things that looked off, but most of the game is "Wow....so beautiful...". I did have a problem with the faces sometimes, but it wasn't too bad to the point of scoring this category any lower. It looked better than most games in this regard. You absolutely CANNOT play this game on an SDTV, just don't do it.

Overall I would give this game somewhere around 9.3, it is a must-have game and an amazing showpiece for Sony (it's hardly just about the graphics). The rewards and collection make this a worthwhile purchase, as well as all the unlockables. I'm going through some (or all?) of hard mode tomorrow and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult the "Crushing" difficulty will be. Will it be as frustrating as "Titan" mode in GoWII?

Some pics. My digicam should be able to produce better pics than this, but I'm not the best photographer, my apologies (I think the pics aren't that jumpy because of minute shaking in my hand). These are two parts of the game that impressed me, among many others. I'm playing on a 22" monitor, not a regular HDTV so it may look different. There's also part of the screen cutoff (120 pixels on either side) because of pixel limitation (1680x1050). The pixel limitation doesn't cutoff any vital information, that was due to the camera handling.

Uncharted_01.jpg

Uncharted_02.jpg

Uncharted_05.jpg

JB1981

Marconelly said:
Really? Of all things... I really don't think I've seen any console game with textures better than this, at least based on the demo and screens of some of the later areas shown. Unless you think artistically in some areas perhaps? Dunno. As far as eye-crackling image clarity and visual impact, Gears of War still has it beat imo. Game just has this smudgy look to it. The tearing is pretty severe at times as well which tends to mar the experience for me. I mean, it's not Heavenly Sword bad but it definitely gets in the way.

How did you like Beowulf btw? Is it easy to get used to those a bit weird looking real life-but-not quite actors? I saw it in 3D Digital and was pretty much blown away. The tech is the future of cinema, if you ask me. You simply cannot appreciate what Zemeckis has achieved with the movie if you don't see it in 3D. My jaw was on the floor for almost the entire movie. And the movie itself wasn't too bad either. :lol

Yeah, the shadow quality is simply amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. No idea how they've done it to look so good.
The lighting and shadowing is definitely amazing, as well as the animations. Like I said last night, I fired the game up after a long day so perhaps I was a little to hard on the game. My concerns about the shooting getting stale still stand, though.

f@luS

More than a member.
just played one hour. wow. Like a OMFG wow. fuckingtastic . It looks so amazing that i can hardly believe it, modelling ,animations, textures, IQ. By far the best looking next gen game ,it easily beats GeOW/bioshock/Heavenly and even ratchet maybe from a technical standpoint.
Cant wait to be home later today to play again

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Steroyd said:
:mad:

Why can't Sony launch games in the EU earlier than planned? :(

www.estarland.com

awesome. I'm getting ALL my PS3 games from there. PS3 games are region free, and as PAL gamers we pay a fraction of what we would from our own territories.

I just got Ratchet the other day, great game and I save $40AU. Too good

Top Bottom