• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

YYZ

I wonder what ND is doing now. By this time, most of the people would already have taken vacations and such (game went gold a month ago). I think a new J&D game is in order, it wouldn't make sense to have another Drake game so soon. Of course, a new franchise would be awesome as well.

Firewire

Banned
I am stunned by the graphics in this game. There isn't a dull landscape, not even in the dark rooms. The vistas are incredible, the seagulls flying around with perfect shadows, the trees casting perfect shadows onto the water as they sway in the wind, all the while perfect streams of light cascade down between the leaves leaving a perfect shimmering effect on the waters surface!
I'm truly impressed with both platforming & gun play, the amount of platforming is quite impressive and it isn't the same type of jumps & swings constantly repeating themselves throughout the game. The gun play is equally enjoyable as well with the varied weaponry throughout the game.
I haven't experienced any frame drops or tearing issues, and truthfully I'm not really looking for it as visually the game gives you so much beauty its hard to notice anything else except the impressive scenery and views.
My one and only complaint is the lack of barrels, truly more should have been used. Also no lamas at all! Whats that about?
Anyways I just reached the jet ski section, and thats where I'll hold off for awhile. I'm begging Naughty Dog to take there well earned vacation and come pack refreshed & ready to work on the magnifigance that will be Uncharted 2!

Synless said:
Anybody notice that when your in a room with a flashlight and you just stand still and spin the camera around drake the flash light continues to shine forward yet the light goes in the direction of the camera.

*Edit* funny thing is it only happens in one room in the game and not anywhere else.
Noticed the exact same thing last night.

JB1981

I just got passed the
third jetski sequence
and OMG I feel like I"m wet. That was amazing! I just reached chapter 13 and all I can say is the game gets better and better and better. And better looking! The lighting is on another level. I really really like Elena and Drake too. The acting is superb. And the gun battles have gotten more dynamic. Can't wait to play this on Crushing difficulty.

I wish Kojima could make MGS 4 on this engine :(

JB1981

UGH. I'm running into a nasty bug. The game keeps freezing on me on Chapter 13. I'm gonna power down and let the triple cool off a bit. But this isn't the first time this has happened to me today. The game got hung up after the jeep chase sequence as well. Should I be concerned that its my PS3 or have you guys run into similar issues? Is this because of FW 2.0?

Firewire said:
I am stunned by the graphics in this game. There isn't a dull landscape, not even in the dark rooms. The vistas are incredible, the seagulls flying around with perfect shadows, the trees casting perfect shadows onto the water as they sway in the wind, all the while perfect streams of light cascade down between the leaves leaving a perfect shimmering effect on the waters surface!
I'm truly impressed with both platforming & gun play, the amount of platforming is quite impressive and it isn't the same type of jumps & swings constantly repeating themselves throughout the game. The gun play is equally enjoyable as well with the varied weaponry throughout the game.
I haven't experienced any frame drops or tearing issues, and truthfully I'm not really looking for it as visually the game gives you so much beauty its hard to notice anything else except the impressive scenery and views.
My one and only complaint is the lack of barrels, truly more should have been used. Also no lamas at all! Whats that about?
Anyways I just reached the jet ski section, and thats where I'll hold off for awhile. I'm begging Naughty Dog to take there well earned vacation and come pack refreshed & ready to work on the magnifigance that will be Uncharted 2!

At the middle of chapter 4 how awesome is it when you first come in that clearing and
see the fortress with the endless ocean and seagulls flying everywhere.
God makes me want a vacation

Kittonwy

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Reading through this thread and am I the only person who is annoyed by the frame rate in Uncharted? It's never as smooth as it should be, though I don't know if it's due to the camera movement, controls, motion blur, or a combination of all three. It just feels slightly....off and jerky. Especially when coming from games like COD4 and Halo 3 where the aiming is so perfect.

I've only played a few levels, but it feels rushed in sluggish so far. I would've rather had a more polished Uncharted in March, but I'm sure that Sony felt they needed more than Ratchet to compete this fall.

I didn't have any problem with the framerate, but then COD4 runs at 60fps and HALO 3 runs at a solid 30, maybe you have a problem with the motion blur?

Water is CRAZY.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRR!!!111!!!

Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
I just got passed the
third jetski sequence
and OMG I feel like I"m wet. That was amazing! I just reached chapter 13 and all I can say is the game gets better and better and better. And better looking! The lighting is on another level. I really really like Elena and Drake too. The acting is superb. And the gun battles have gotten more dynamic. Can't wait to play this on Crushing difficulty.

I wish Kojima could make MGS 4 on this engine :(

But then I wonder how much of the edge documentation is in Japanese, but yeah this Naughty Dog engine is totally robust and I wonder how smooth their next Uncharted game is going to be when they have more time to really optimize things. Their first effort on the PS3 basically trumps everybody else by a landslide, the game is pushing more dynamic features than any game on consoles out there without resorting to a lot of clever cheats.
Indifferent2.gif

What is tai koching?
Indifferent2.gif

Systems_id said:
Fixed. No game I've seen, including Killzone 2, does hit reactions better than CoD4.

All you need to see is the scene in KZ2 where a Helghast is having a machine gun clip unloaded into them and they're reacting to every single shot. KZ2's just on another level when it comes to hit detection.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
But then I wonder how much of the edge documentation is in Japanese, but yeah this Naughty Dog engine is totally robust and I wonder how smooth their next Uncharted game is going to be when they have more time to really optimize things. Their first effort on the PS3 basically trumps everybody else by a landslide, the game is pushing more dynamic features than any game on consoles out there without resorting to a lot of clever cheats.
Indifferent2.gif

What is tai koching?
Indifferent2.gif
i guess you didn't run into any bugs, kittonwy? i'm scared for my ps3.

i have the worst luck ever.

Standing on the end of the
U-boat
looking at the
sunset
is such a beautiful shot, I wish I could capture a screen of it.

Awntawn

Do the counters for your achievements keep count even after you die before a checkpoint? When I got to the point in the demo, I MGS'd that shit and snapped got 5 stealth kills before the second wave killed me and I had to restart at the checkpoint D;

JB1981

BobTheFork said:
Standing on the end of the
U-boat
looking at the
sunset
is such a beautiful shot, I wish I could capture a screen of it.
ha

as i looked at that i said to myself: "this game needs in-game screenshot feature like halo"

Raziel

I'm only 8 chapters in, but wow, I'm pretty blown away so far. The platforming, shooting, and storytelling are in perfect balance. Naughty Dog is the real deal.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
ha

as i looked at that i said to myself: "this game needs in-game screenshot feature like halo"

I could only imagine what it'd look like with all the added buffers to it to make it look 10x's better than what you actually saw on screen too :D

Enemies pouring out of spots is something you can spot in just about any game. Gears was no different. Yes they covered up some spots with the holes, but there's other incredibly retarded parts like on the train and in that one car 2 wretches come out of the ceiling at a time, and keep coming out, only they through in an exploding one here and there. It's almost inevitable to have this stuff in a game at points I think :p

And yes, I think KZ2 has the best display of enemies getting lit up and reacting to bullet impacts the most "believably" how they blend in the animations like they do. And I still love how the weapons have their own physics as well when they're swinging their arms around getting shot, pending on where they're swinging their arm at the point of death is which direction their weapon is going to fly, not just always fall in front of them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
alright just finished it up last night, only took 8 hours :(. Awesome story, you actually got attached to the characters. The voice acting was top notch, the characters were likable sometimes funny, lots of fun.

I'd say the game is a 9.5. The platforming is so great, normally in games where you're up on small edges or bridges I have to take my time make sure I don't fall, or maybe it'll glitch out on me and I won't grab an edge. In uncharted I felt confident everytime I would grab the edge, or that I would make a jump.

The graphics are beyond any game I've seen to this point...( well except crysis. The environments are beautiful, the lighting is so natural, and the shadows casted are so damn clean. The hair in this game actually looks... good? That never happens. There's plenty of colors too. I loved the views, I loved the water, loved just about everything, all with the sharpest textures I've ever seen.

the one problem I had with the game was
the supernatural twist? Right when it happened I felt let down by the game... I knew it was going to happen, but I didn't know like that, it felt kinda corny. The whole story was amazing with just a treasure hunter, and the whole twist with sully being alive was amazing, but they threw the supernatural twist out and it felt almost forced. After a while though I got used to it, the creatures running towards you was done great, just runnin and gunnin them:D . I also like the combo of the pirates vs. the spaniards(demons). Final boss was awesome, like a final shootout before saving the day. Loved how you fought him to end it. didn't look like it was set up for a sequel, but we'll see how they do that in the future.

Still workin on hard right now, then I'm goin back to get treasures and rewards.

JB1981

jesus christ

i can't catch a break, man.

i just exchanged my first disc of uncharted for a second one and the game freezes at the same spot on chapter 13 every time.

this is fucking ridiculous

you think my save file is corrupted? i popped in cod 4 to see if it was my system but it worked fine. god i am so bummed out right now

JB1981 said:
jesus christ

i just exchanged my first disc of uncharted for a second one and the game freezes at the same spot on chapter 13 every time.

you think my save file is corrupted? i popped in cod 4 to see if it was my system but it worked fine. god i am so bummed out right now

at least you get to chapter 13, I can't get off the boat with out it freezing, I'm so pissed and I've exchanged 4 disc, and they all freeze at the same place. I'm waiting on the firmware update to see if the fix is part of the stability.

JB1981 said:
jesus christ

at least you get to chapter 13, I can't get off the boat with out it freezing, I'm so pissed and I've exchanged 4 disc, and they all freeze at the same place. I'm waiting on the firmware update to see if the fix is part of the stability.

Good lord guys that sounds horrible I havent had any problems with mine yet.

Hmmm my local Best Buy didn't have it, I guess they're not getting it until Tuesday.

EDIT: I think I'll wait anyway until the firmware fix comes...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gary Whitta said:
Hmmm my local Best Buy didn't have it, I guess they're not getting it until Tuesday.

:lol

JB1981

Gary Whitta said:

most finnicky machines ever. i went back and replayed chapter 12, got to the same point in chapter 13 and things are fine now.

*whew*

now i can get back to playing one of the best games of the year

YYZ

I didn't have any freezing problems, lucky I guess. Sometimes if I jumped during an odd spot in a gunfight, Nate would get stuck and eventually die due to damage.

Gary Whitta said:
I don't like games that freeze?

It seems for the most part to be a rare occurence I think you will probably be fine.

JB1981 said:
most finnicky machines ever. i went back and replayed chapter 12, got to the same point in chapter 13 and things are fine now.

*whew*

Excellent glad to see you got it taken care of.

slade

Finsihed it. The end is amazing..... or rather I should say what leads up to the end.

Naughty Dog should seriously consider doing something survival horrorish with this engine. They nailed the atmosphere in the catacombs level.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
After hearing that some Best Buys were selling it I hit up my local store. 72 copies in stock and they aren't selling them until the 19th. Oh wells, only a few more days.

Beatbox said:
After hearing that some Best Buys were selling it I hit up my local store. 72 copies in stock and they aren't selling them until the 19th. Oh wells, only a few more days.

Do you have any gamestops or eb's in the area?

Beatbox

BruceLeeRoy said:
Do you have any gamestops or eb's in the area?

Dozens, but I don't shop at them...too many bad experiences.

Wanted to put it on my BB CC, use my RZ card and cash in $10 RZ monies :D

Beatbox said:
Dozens, but I don't shop at them...too many bad experiences.

Wanted to put it on my BB CC, use my RZ card and cash in $10 RZ monies :D
I hate GS, but as long as i go into BB on release day and they tell me "in two days" I'll keep going I guess. This and the early RandC launch are the only benifits of shopping there ever.5

Beatbox

BobTheFork said:
I hate GS, but as long as i go into BB on release day and they tell me "in two days" I'll keep going I guess. This and the early RandC launch are the only benifits of shopping there ever.5

Yeah I should've went to a different Best Buy but this one was the closest - heck they didn't have AC or K&L on the shelf yet.

dante786

Banned
JB1981 said:

*whew*

Wow. Really? You seemed happy with it yesterday, but clearly its standing has improved since then no? I'm starting to lean towards this again over AC, picking up AC later. This is a pretty ringing endorsement though, what changed to make you feel so good about the game?

Not surprised because you like the game, clearly it looks awesome, just want to find out exactly why you feel its so good. I really want a good adventure game and I guess this fits the bill.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After the long drive home from the rainy OSU game up in Michigan, I finally decided to sit down and play Uncharted tonight. Only a good 30 minutes in, but holy crap, I love the character interaction and environments. It really does feel like an action movie or something. This is WAY beyond anything Naughty Dog has EVER done before. I can't believe how awesome it is!

There is a lot of tearing, though, but at least the framerate is pretty solid most of the time.

dark10x said:
After the long drive home from the rainy OSU game up in Michigan, I finally decided to sit down and play Uncharted tonight. Only a good 30 minutes in, but holy crap, I love the character interaction and environments. It really does feel like an action movie or something. This is WAY beyond anything Naughty Dog has EVER done before. I can't believe how awesome it is!

There is a lot of tearing, though, but at least the framerate is pretty solid most of the time.

Dude, you were in my neck of the woods? I live literally 10 minutes walk away from the stadium. We should have had coffee and bitched about framerates of biscotti or something.

On topic, where is the Gamespot review? I haven't gotten to flame a critic all day, and I'm starting to get withdrawal jitters.

Belfast

I swear they built Drake's role specifically for Nathan Fillion. Probably patterned his looks right after him and even the voice actor sounds similar.

Master Z

Finished it last night. This is now in my top ten for favorite games of all time. The narrative and characters are top notch. It was refreshing to be in control of a more regular dude after all these games with hardened military archetypes. I liked how Drake seemed to have a comment for just about every situation in the game.

The visuals, wow I've never seen such beauty in a game before. The lighting and shadows are amazing and I must say this game has the best rock surface textures that I've ever seen. Shooting/combat was really fun for me. There's always many ways to tackle pirate encounters plus those suckers can be quite tricky at times. Animations for every person in the game is very well done. I liked all the different ways the the pirates would evade/cover/attack. I'm going to play the "crushed" difficulty tonight and unlike most other games I'm actually looking forward to beating it again.

The weakest part of the game for me was the platforming. It was fine but I guess I expected some more peril in that regard. There were only a couple of times during the game that I felt that I was really in danger when platforming. Soundtrack, holy shit. Very awesome film quality score that went perfect with the theme and really added to the overall feeling and atmosphere. If I had to rate this game I'd give it a 9.5/10. Overall it was just an awesome, awesome experience for me and I hope this game sells well because Naughty Dog deserves it.

justjohn

after seeing the sales of ratchet i dont think sony would greenlight jak and daxter. these days its all about shooters. sad but its business i guess

Beatbox said:

My Best Buy sold me one. They were on the shelf, too.

When I picked mine up, got into a conversation with a guy waiting for an employee to dig around in the back, and find him a copy of COD4, and found out that both COD4 and Uncharted were both almost sold out already. This Best Buy has an lounge area next to the games with two couches and two big screen HDTVs right next to each other, one playing 360 games and one playing PS3. I was happy to see the PS3 side had Ratchet and Clank Future playing, and it was really drawing quite a crowd of onlookers. Good deal.

As far as Uncharted goes, so far it's just as incredible as I'd hoped it would be. I've just gotten a few missions beyond the portion you play in the demo, and I'm really loving it.

Loudninja

justjohn said:
after seeing the sales of ratchet i dont think sony would greenlight jak and daxter. these days its all about shooters. sad but its business i guess

People act like the sales for that game was a whole month

Top Bottom