• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

justjohn said:
after seeing the sales of ratchet i dont think sony would greenlight jak and daxter. these days its all about shooters. sad but its business i guess

Uh, the "Ratchet and Clank is DOOMED" people need to keep in mind that they game was released early, and during the time covered by the sales charts, hadn't been advertised at all. Unless you follow the Playstation Blog or the gaming forums, you probably wouldn't have any idea the game was out.

At my Best Buy, they had R&C on the big screen, and it was drawing a lot of eyeballs. I think it will have legs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AltogetherAndrews said:
Dude, you were in my neck of the woods? I live literally 10 minutes walk away from the stadium. We should have had coffee and bitched about framerates of biscotti or something.

On topic, where is the Gamespot review? I haven't gotten to flame a critic all day, and I'm starting to get withdrawal jitters.
You live up there? Ha ha, well I'll be damned. That would have been great. :p

I just finished the game on normal, fantastic and awesome game, 9.5/10 if I had to rate it.

the combat throughout was fantastic with the exception of one small portion I guess around 80% into the game, but other than that it is constantly awesome. I am going to play it again on hard, but even on normal it wasnt a cake walk, the last few chapters were freaking brutal and unforgiving.

The story and cutscenes were also awesome. Where Heavenly Sword was decent because it was like a movie with shallow gameplay, Uncharted is an amazing game with great gameplay that feels like a movie. There is an Indy vibe all around the game and for fans it will make it just so much better.

I cant really say much about the graphics, I mean...it looks amazing, some parts near the middle and end of the game will make you thing the early areas looked ugly in comparison. The music is fantastic, even while im typing this the menu music is in the background and it is top notch and really sets the tone. The voice acting is also really good (the guy who plays Sully is great), and althought I understand its a teen game, saying crap a lot sounds pretty off to me.

and unlockables are awesome, really awesome.

Raziel

Before I played Uncharted, I wanted a J&D sequel also that went back to the style of the first game, similar to the way R&CF did. But after playing Uncharted, all I want from ND this gen is an Uncharted trilogy.

justjohn said:
after seeing the sales of ratchet i dont think sony would greenlight jak and daxter. these days its all about shooters. sad but its business i guess

Well for starters J&D was always more popular than the Ratchet games. Other than that I wish the sales obsession would just end.

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
U gettin' it from TRU? I was so very glad I went and called Markville TRU last night and picked it up, it was SO TOTALLY WORTH IT.
gladtomeetya.gif

Called my local TRU, and the dude said they had 18 copies. I went in, and they wouldn't sell it to me. Bastards.

I'm shit out of luck, then. I'll be picking up the game on Monday. I have to go to Eaton Centre anyway, so I'll pick up the game from EB at that time.

JB1981

dante786 said:
Wow. Really? You seemed happy with it yesterday, but clearly its standing has improved since then no? I'm starting to lean towards this again over AC, picking up AC later. This is a pretty ringing endorsement though, what changed to make you feel so good about the game?

Not surprised because you like the game, clearly it looks awesome, just want to find out exactly why you feel its so good. I really want a good adventure game and I guess this fits the bill.

Nitpicks aside, it is just a joy to play. And there is a real sense of progression throughout. I also haven't played much this year that has truly made me say wow. I actually tried out Assassins Creed a little bit after this and I must say, I couldn't wait to get back to Uncharted.

Other than it playing well, the presentation simply has no peer. You kind of have to experience it for yourself. The last time I had this much fun playing a singeplayer game was God of War 2.

Kintaro said:
I want a new Jak and Daxtar AND Uncharted. Why limit the awesomeness? :D

yeah, I dont see why both cant be done.

I mean, Insomniac released Resistance and Ratchet close together and both turned out amazing.

the only reason why I wouldent want a Jak and Daxter is because I would rather it be a game that doesnt focus on guns and such, I want more of a classic platformer.

dante786

Banned
JB1981 said:
Nitpicks aside, it is just a joy to play. And there is a real sense of progression throughout. I also haven't played much this year that has truly made me say wow. I actually tried out Assassins Creed a little bit after this and I must say, I couldn't wait to get back to Uncharted.

Other than it playing well, the presentation simply has no peer. You kind of have to experience it for yourself. The last time I had this much fun playing a singeplayer game was God of War 2.

That sounds fantastic, I dunno if I can wait for this one. I just have so much shit to play. And I want to enjoy this game properly. I think ill take my time finishing mario galaxy, finish ME, then move on to uncharted so I can enjoy it properly. The game is getting a purchase within the next few weeks based on your recommendation though, thanks for the impressions man.

Dante

Put me in the Wants both J&D and Uncharted group. Crap, whatever ND does I'll be there Day 1.

I didn't play Uncharted yet today because I had errands all day, and Uncharted isn't the type of game I wanna do in short bursts, I want to devote large chunks of time for it. I stopped right after the second Jet Ski segment last night and was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Dragon

Banned
Speaking about problems with freezing, I got to the point in the game where
you're about to push the boulder over to break through the wood to get into the "2000 years older than Incan" temple and I was just messing around looking for treasure and I jumped to a certain spot, and Drake kept doing this animation as if he was stepping off something and then he'd try to step back on. Infinite loop :( Other than that no problems with the disc

Which really isn't freezing at all, but it's bad nonetheless :)

JB1981 said:

This is the first next gen game that has really made me sit back get a smile on my face every time I think about playing it. Although from a graphics stand point the games on 360/ps3 have wowed me I have been waiting for those games like God of war 1 and 2 or SOTC or Okami just stuff that not only introduces the WOW moments but also just makes you feel good playing it. Uncharted so far is the first game to do that to me in a long time.

Gary Whitta said:
Got the last non-pre-order copy at EB!

Awesome man good job.
I'm really curious to know what you think of it.
I have noticed your a pretty critical guy so let us know.

Awntawn

That Jet-ski level that people were dissing in the videos wasn't nearly as bad with the controller in your hand. I actually died a few times there 3;

Firewire

Banned
A friend went to a nearby TRU to get the game, it was sold out. They only put it on the shelf this morning, apparently they had 75 copies. My friend was prety pissed!

Awntawn said:
That Jet-ski level that people were dissing in the videos wasn't nearly as bad with the controller in your hand. I actually died a few times there 3;

yeah, they are quick and pretty easy, you dont even need to shoot all the barrels or enemies.

Lo-Volt

BobTheFork said:
Standing on the end of the
U-boat
looking at the
sunset
is such a beautiful shot, I wish I could capture a screen of it.

Me too. And the texture work on that boat? Holy shit, man. Unbelievable, I was stunned seeing that.

Kittonwy

Banned
slade said:
Finsihed it. The end is amazing..... or rather I should say what leads up to the end.

Naughty Dog should seriously consider doing something survival horrorish with this engine. They nailed the atmosphere in the catacombs level.

I don't want them to ever cubbyhole themselves by going to the survival horror route, outside of RE it's incredibly niche, and it really doesn't suit their writing style which can have quite a broad range.

Kittonwy

Banned
raziel said:
Before I played Uncharted, I wanted a J&D sequel also that went back to the style of the first game, similar to the way R&CF did. But after playing Uncharted, all I want from ND this gen is an Uncharted trilogy.

Yep MOAR UNCHARTED BARRELAMA AFW RADNESS RAWR!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
deejay8595 said:
I NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

IM ON CHAPTER 10....On the part where their are 4 statues on you need to rotate them either north,south,east, or west.

IM SOOOO CONFUSED!!!!...I read the Dairy and have the statues pointed in the direction it tells me and nothing happens...WTF. ANY HELP?
I STILL CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

deejay8595 said:
I STILL CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

it is really easy.

on the ground there is a compas, it should what direction N/E/S/W are, look at your book to see which statues should be looking in which direction, spin them to fit, then shit happens.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Linkzg said:
it is really easy.

on the ground there is a compas, it should what direction N/E/S/W are, look at your book to see which statues should be looking in which direction, spin them to fit, then shit happens.
The hell..I did exactly that....

Angel= looking to south
Eagle= looking to west (O)
Lion= looking to west (O)
Horse= looking to east

NOTHING HAPPENS...I know im not dumb...lol

I've got a question about those "achievement" point things in the game. I noticed that at the end there's a few "hidden" ones that are worth 100-150-200 each, respectively. I'm assuming those are end-game achievements and the ones you get are dependant upon which difficulty level you set it to. So I'm wondering if I finish the game on Normal, do I get the points for Easy as well or do I need to go back and play it again on that setting to pick those up?

Of course, I may be completely off base here and that may not be what those last hidden achievements are about but I'm just going off my experience with 360 games.

Flo_Evans

JB1981 said:
i guess you didn't run into any bugs, kittonwy? i'm scared for my ps3.

i have the worst luck ever.

I only had 2 bugs: it dropped allot of frames and my audio glitched at the start of the jeep chase. MAJOR SPOILER
and the game froze on the 'run' and gun' chase scene when the spaniards 1st appear.

Finished it last night (early morning). AWESOME! Took about 12 hours.

Game is really, really good. I generally agree with most of the review scores that it is around a 9/9.5 game with only a few slight problems keeping it from a perfect 10.

Graphics are the best to date (on home consoles :p), bar none. At the start of the game its like OK this is really nice, but by the end it just leaves everything else currently out in the dust. My only gripe is that it would of been nice to see some footprints in from wet boots, and depressions left in the mud. It would of been nice if the environment was more destructible as a whole, but its so damn pretty, I can live with it being mostly static.

The gunplay is great, TONS of real world weapons, and they are all satisfying to when you connect. Mostly due to the enemy hit reactions. I was a bit worried that the whole thing would be killing pirates but then the
special forces
come out, then when you are about done with them, the
spaniards
come after you :D

Platforming also started kind of slow to me, but then once again twards the end I was like "whoa" I had to give up on one piece of treasure I could clearly see, cause I couldn't figure out how the fuck to get up there :lol

The bonuses are fucking great, and it goes to show what an awesome idea achievements are, even if your buddies can't see them (home integration later plz) you still know you got them. Also shows extra costumes and other shit should be included on the disc and not cost extra $$$.

deejay8595 said:

Angel= looking to south
Horse= looking to east

well, one problem already is that you have two things looking west, there should be one statue looking in each direction, so one of them should be looking north.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I've got a question about those "achievement" point things in the game. I noticed that at the end there's a few "hidden" ones that are worth 100-150-200 each, respectively. I'm assuming those are end-game achievements and the ones you get are dependant upon which difficulty level you set it to. So I'm wondering if I finish the game on Normal, do I get the points for Easy as well or do I need to go back and play it again on that setting to pick those up?

Of course, I may be completely off base here and that may not be what those last hidden achievements are about but I'm just going off my experience with 360 games.

if you beat the game on normal, you get points for both easy and normal.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Linkzg said:
well, one problem already is that you have two things looking west, there should be one statue looking in each direction, so one of them should be looking north.
Cuzo....On the map it shows both the Eagle and Lion looking west....

Thanks! I was hoping it was like that. I hate the games that force you to play on every setting regardless.

the game makes it pretty easy to get points even after you beat it, you can jump into any chapter of the game on any difficulty when your done just incase you havent found some treasure or things like that. (I plan to because I only got like 30 pieces of treasure, I have a lot more to find.)

deejay8595 said:
Cuzo....On the map it shows both the Eagle and Lion looking west....

the way you figure out what direction the statues are looking is not by how they appear in the pictures, but you are supposed to look at the names next to the picture on the left page of the book and match that up with the directions on the right page.

Haklong

Just finished it, awesome as fuck game. It's was my most anticipated PS3 game since it was first shown and it lived up to all of my expectations. I so wish I had a Dual Shock 3 controller to play it with.

One question, I finished the game with 45 of the treasures found. If I go to a new game will all the ones I have found not be there anymore a la Gears of War, or will they all show up again? I would like to play on crushing and get the rest of the treasures in the process.

Edit: Just started a new game and see that you can, cool.

Kittonwy

Banned
Thanks! I was hoping it was like that. I hate the games that force you to play on every setting regardless.

Yeah, that's really the way games should be, on the fly difficulty manual selection, medals and rewards carry over, third person navigation with behind the back precise aiming with tight crosshair, cover system, roll, jump, melee with environment sensitive animations, advanced AI, the list goes on and on.
Indifferent2.gif

Loudninja

Haklong said:
Just finished it, awesome as fuck game. It's was my most anticipated PS3 game since it was first shown and it lived up to all of my expectations. I so wish I had a Dual Shock 3 controller to play it with.

One question, I finished the game with 45 of the treasures found. If I go to a new game will all the ones I have found not be there anymore a la Gears of War, or will they all show up again? I would like to play on crushing and get the rest of the treasures in the process.

How long did it take ye?

Kittonwy said:
Yeah, that's really the way games should be, on the fly difficulty manual selection, medals and rewards carry over, third person navigation with behind the back precise aiming with tight crosshair, cover system, roll, jump, melee with environment sensitive animations, advanced AI, the list goes on and on.
Indifferent2.gif

hmm, that makes me curious.

if I play the last chapter on hard and beat it, will I get the achievement for it?

lets test that out right now.

crap, doesnt seem to work, you need to start off on Hard then i guessing.

slade

deejay8595 said:

Angel= looking to south
Horse= looking to east

Look at the names in the book. The position of the statues in the book does not correspond to the names they are given on the compass. It stumped me too for a bit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow, WOW, wow, I am loving this game. Having lots of fun and feel like I am in this great adventure movie. Visuals just grab you. What a stellar performance put on by ND.

tanod

when is my burrito
Just beat the game on Normal and I'm jumping right back into it on Hard.

Some of my favorite moments in the last half of the game:

1) The church battle in chapter ~20 where you fight on one side of the church and then run across to fight on the other. I just love how you have to keep moving around and repositioning and switching weapons and grenades. It really felt like it was the culmination of all that I had learned in the game. I loved that combat environment so hard.

2) Really liked the addition of the Spaniards into the combat. The whole game it sets you up against intelligent and aggressive opponents and then you get to use manual aim most of the time. With the Spaniards, you really can't. You have to run and gun especially in the generator room where they're flooding in. Those creatures put the fear of god in me when I was fighting them and was a really nice change of pace. They started mixing the pirates back in and at the end of the game, it was just pirates. I think they perfectly paced the use of those enemies.

3) The jeep sequence was hella fun. Oh my god, I loved it. Popping a grenade under a truck is probably the single most satisfying half second in the game and you get to do it many times. I was just hoping for trucks to come so I could blow them up. :D

4) The first two jetski sequences were also really fun. The third one was OK but was kind of oddly paced. When I first started the jetski sequence with the barrels, I didn't know that you could make Elena shoot so I was getting really fucking pissed off because I died about 10 times before I figured that out. I was like "There is no fucking way you can beat this. It's completely fucking random." Then I saw that not only could Ellen shoot but she had infinite grenades for the grenade launcher. I LOVE that weapon. The thing with vehicle sequences is that they really should empower you to just blow some shit up without having to worry so much about dying.

5) Finally, the last sequence on the boat. With Navarro shooting at you, you had to be really careful because you'd get capped if you stuck your neck out long enough. Your cover would also get destroyed so you'd have to continually maneuver around. They force you to use the different weapons in each section and then the last sequence ,which I admittedly died a few times before I figured out exactly what I needed to do, was very cool too. It was like a little puzzle in itself.

6) Quick lighting :O moment. Seeing the foliage shadows sway. Also, there was a small beam of light shining into a corner of a dark room and I just happened to walk over it and I freaked out because I didn't know what it was. Took me awhile to realize the light was shining on my character. Didn't expect that. :)

There are so many great moments but those are the ones that particularly stuck out for me. The story also totally delivers and the game is excellent paced. The only part of the game where the pacing feels off is a period somewhere around chapter 8-10 where it feels like forever before you get any more story and is very combat heavy. That was the only time in the game where I felt that I really wanted a break from the combat so I could do more platforming and exploring.

What a game though, Naughty Dog. What a frigging beautiful awesome game.

Most graphically advanced game I've ever seen, except for
Crisis
. WOW

Top Bottom