• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
The Sphinx said:
Yeah. Best game on the console (not counting BC of course). Can't quite say you should buy a whole PS3 just to play it but this, Resistance, and hopefully a couple of next year's exclusives like LBP and MGS4 will make a pretty strong argument for taking the plunge.

Depends if you have a 360 or not. If you don't, then VF5, Oblivion GOTY, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed + Uncharted, Resistance, and Motorstorm more than justify a new PS3.

Tideas

Banned
Project Tideas got our review's kit today. Major major prop to Sony for being so generous as to take a chance on us. Although we're still growing, definitely loving the fact that they consider us as important as one of the big boys. Gotta love their PR team too.

The game is launched on the 19th, and so, my review will be up by then. And don't worry, credibility and believability is extremely important to us here at Project Tideas. Just because I received this from Sony doesn't mean I'll give the game a free pass. If it's great, then it's great, but if it sucks, trust me, you'll here it, especially if you've read some of my prior reviews.

2042910036_184e31c8de.jpg

Lindsay said:
I'm late to the demo party! It started out super cool with the intro and the climbing and adventuring around was fun and then when it got to where guys are shooting at you.... I died.... and died and died and quit out of the demo. And that was on "Easy." ;_; Oh well...

Don't let that stop you from getting the game. The demo puts you right into the thick of things. In the actual game, the learning curve is not as steep. Once you actually get to the part of the game where the demo takes place, you'll have a bit of an easier time taking those guys out.

Yes, the game is challenging and the AI can be relentless at times, but it doesn't get cheap. And it's sooooooo worth it. It really is an amazing experience on every level. I'm having tons of fun with it.

Awntawn

Has anyone unlocked next-gen filter yet? Points are slow in gathering on hard, seems like they'd be easier to rack up in easy mode because it would be easier to have your way with the enemies. That's the one bonus I'm interested in, was wondering if anyone has any shots/vids of it ;o

Evlar

Banned
Awntawn said:
Has anyone unlocked next-gen filter yet? Points are slow in gathering on hard, seems like they'd be easier to rack up in easy mode because it would be easier to have your way with the enemies. That's the one bonus I'm interested in, was wondering if anyone has any shots/vids of it ;o
I just assumed it either turns everything brown or very, very bloomy.

YYZ

Belfast said:
Oh goodness...
upstream jetski part, the rapids just look so awesome!
really? I thought this part looked ok, it actually didn't impress me visually (one of only a few), the water just didn't look that great imo. I didn't like the gameplay part of it as well (again, one of only a few parts).

Belfast

YYZ said:
really? I thought this part looked ok, it actually didn't impress me visually (one of only a few), the water just didn't look that great imo. I didn't like the gameplay part of it as well (again, one of only a few parts).

I can see why you might think that, but considering the change in atmosphere at that point, I felt the look of the water fit right in. I really liked the way it moved.

Just got past the jeep escape and the first jetski section. WOW.

Have to shut it down now. My subwoofer + those explosions + 3AM = my neighbors probably wanting to get me evicted.

...every game needs a DTS soundtrack like Teh Schicksel.

Awntawn

I can't quite pinpoint the last time that headshots have felt so gratifying in a single player game. It balances the pistols so well and makes it useful whereas most other games you'd barely ever put down your primary weapon.

Also, why the hell are magnum revolvers so damn powerful in every game now? It seems almost obligatory 3; At least they're balanced well here, 6 shots and you're out no reserve ammo ;o

Awntawn said:

I got it a while back.

and it does make things brown and MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF BLOOM! seriously, it is crazy with the bloom.

I want to see what cartoon Nathan looks like in the character unlocks, so far I only unlocked Naughty Dog Nate which is basically Nate wearing a shirt from the original trailer (where it has different colored sleeves) and I think also a logo, I didnt use it for too long.

the unlockables are fun to mess around with, playing the game in slow-motion makes you really notice every single animation while playing it in faster speed mode just makes things...faster and in ways more intense. Mirror mode is my favorite option, it does change it up just a bit for the second time through.

Tideas

Banned
Is anyone else digging the music as much as me? I really like it.

And man, this game has seriously a lot of unlockables. I'm gonna assume some of these are convertible into trophies when Home comes out

Well, just from what I've played of the demo, I'd say my biggest problem with the game, graphically, is the outdoor lighting. Just not enough contrast, everything feels over blown. The trees especially light weird. Still, the game looks fantastic, just feel the lighting could be better.

Awntawn

Vustadumas said:
Well, just from what I've played of the demo, I'd say my biggest problem with the game, graphically, is the outdoor lighting. Just not enough contrast, everything feels over blown. The trees especially light weird. Still, the game looks fantastic, just feel the lighting could be better.
Adjust the contrast on your TV ;o

Tideas

Banned
Vustadumas said:

Lightning seems fine to me dude

Dante

Tideas said:
Is anyone else digging the music as much as me? I really like it.

And man, this game has seriously a lot of unlockables. I'm gonna assume some of these are convertible into trophies when Home comes out

I am.

I plan on picking the remixed OST up from iTunes when it's avaialable ( they mentioned it in the blog)
The Treasure Vault
Is one of my favorite video game levels of all time. Goonies meets Indiana Jones meets Pirates of the Caribean. Love it!

nothing else to say about how spectacular this game is and how much of a dream come true it is for me :D :D :D

....also pretty estactic to see the "baseball tee drake" as an unlockable as I always prefered his original concept look

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060510112111290.jpg

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060510112108415.jpg

dfyb

Banned
if the lighting looks washed out, try turning RBG full range (HDMI) on.

watching gameplay footage from review sites is painful -- they all seem to suck horribly at the game.

wish i had a debug so i could record vids and take screenshots :(

Holtz

sleeping_dragon said:
now, should i buy the ps3 for this game or wait until killzone 2 come out ?
Get one now. The KMart deal is still working, right? And this game is totally worth it, judging by the comments here. I still don't have my copy, fucking CDUniverse.

JB1981

I'm starting to reevaluate my thoughts on Gears having better shooting mechanics. Drake is more agile, lighter on his feet and throughout the course of the game has better guns at his disposal. The lack of auto-aim makes the art of the headshot that much more complicated and the enemy AI is very resourceful. They make the Locust look braindead. What really separates this, though, is the lack of a "roadie run". Drake runs automatically for you, and it always works. Marcus Fenix and Co. control like tanks. Drake moves like a ballet dancer.

sinnergy

JB1981 said:
I'm starting to reevaluate my thoughts on Gears having better shooting mechanics. Drake is more agile, lighter on his feet and throughout the course of the game has better guns at his disposal. The lack of auto-aim makes the art of the headshot that much more complicated and the enemy AI is very resourceful. They make the Locust look braindead. What really separates this, though, is the lack of a "roadie run". Drake runs automatically for you, and it always works. Marcus Fenix and Co. control like tanks. Drake moves like a ballet dancer.

Drake isn't wearing a armor ;)

spwolf

Holtz said:
Get one now. The KMart deal is still working, right? And this game is totally worth it, judging by the comments here. I still don't have my copy, fucking CDUniverse.

there wont be a better deal than kmart for a while... deal of 2007 for sure.

mackmoney

Vustadumas said:

I agree, and I've noticed the same from the actual game.

Awntawn said:
Adjust the contrast on your TV ;o

Should I have separate settings for every game to compensate for their individual contrast issues? I play on a calibrated TV so I'd prefer to keep my fine tuned settings as they are.

deepbrown

mackmoney said:
I agree, and I've noticed the same from the actual game.

Should I have separate settings for every game to compensate for their individual contrast issues? I play on a calibrated TV so I'd prefer to keep my fine tuned settings as they are.
I have lots of contrast in the demo here. And my settings are as they should be on my Samsung 32. Completely editted for PS3 games, from Motorstorm to Heavenly Sword. RGB Full on. Sounds like a recalibration, and was never calibrated properly in the first place :)

spwolf

deepbrown said:
I have lots of contrast in the demo here. And my settings are as they should be on my Samsung 32. Completely editted for PS3 games, from Motorstorm to Heavenly Sword. RGB Full on. Sounds like a recalibration, and was never calibrated properly in the first place :)

me too... my HDMI1 input is calibrated for PS3 and looks great.

mackmoney

deepbrown said:

Could you have least waited an hour before owning me? Seriously, all my other PS3 games look fine so I doubt it's a calibration issue but I'll look into it. I've had a few issues with certain 360 games as well (especially VF5 Online) so I won't discount the possibility.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
I agree with you.

The Locust are dumb bullet sponges in comparison to the enemies in Uncharted. The way they work to get around you is fantastic and really challenges you to take them out quickly while staying on your toes. I also love the feeling of movement when Drake busts into a full out run. Using that motion to run up to an enemy for a melee attack is fantastic (much more satisfying than the Chainsaw in Gears).

The *ONLY* element in Gears that I miss is the active reload. That was a brilliant touch. However, due to the nature of the weapons and the precision required here, I don't think it would have worked all that well.

Wollan

sleeping_dragon said:
now, should i buy the ps3 for this game or wait until killzone 2 come out ?
The machine will cost the same at that time (late spring).
Uncharted the demo was awesome and from the sound of it here the rest of the game is just as good.
Also who knows, surprise KZ2 beta in the mean time?

dark10x said:
The *ONLY* element in Gears that I miss is the active reload. That was a brilliant touch. However, due to the nature of the weapons and the precision required here, I don't think it would have worked all that well.
The combat is more agile in Uncharted with the situation changing constantly so I think gamers have enough on their plate.

deepbrown

mackmoney said:
Could you have least waited an hour before owning me? Seriously, all my other PS3 games look fine so I doubt it's a calibration issue but I'll look into it. I've had a few issues with certain 360 games as well (especially VF5 Online) so I won't discount the possibility.
lol. Seriosuly dude, I did a lot of research on calibration for my TV on AVForums. And each person has different settings for TV, DVD's, Blu-rays, 360 and PS3. Now I spent a long time calibrating, and contrast on the PS3 was one of them. With RGB FUll on the ps3, the contrast on my Samsung sorted out, with the right colours etc...I get the most out of all my games - and Uncharted is no exception. The shadows are dark when they need to be. You'll also notice that Uncharted allows you to change the contrast in game...

And yuh I thought my ps3 games looked fine, until i spent some time sorting it all out...and they look 10 times better.

Sean

Banned
deepbrown said:

Do you mind posting (or PMing me) your TV/PS3 picture settings please?

I just got my PS3 this week and also have a Samsung 32" (mines model 3251D). It'd be nice to use settings that are properly calibrated etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The combat is more agile in Uncharted with the situation changing constantly so I think gamers have enough on their plate.
That's what I said (more or less). :p

The combat gets downright crazy at times. I can't believe how aggressive the AI can be. It's actually really exciting.

Synless

The Sphinx said:
I just assumed it either turns everything brown or very, very bloomy.
That is what it does pretty much, in some areas of the game if you turn it on some of the environments look pretty sweet.

*edit* I finally got around to beating it today, awesome game I collected 50 out of 60 treasures and beat it in 9 hours 29 minutes.

Synless

JB1981 said:
Just beat it. Loved it. :D

How do I unlock different skins?

I just beat it too, lol hey I was wondering the same thing, one of them needs a code and the rest I have no idea, I'm thinking you need to beat it on crushing mode maybe??

Captain N

Synless said:
I just beat it too, lol hey I was wondering the same thing, one of them needs a code and the rest I have no idea, I'm thinking you need to beat it on crushing mode maybe??

After you beat the game and go back and play through again it tells you how many points you need for everything.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
ok it really doesn't bother me that much actually... but I beat the game on hard and I didn't get anything for it? I can tell you this was hard for sure too, it was definitely harder, but I just never got a reward? Did I do something wrong?

Synless

msdstc said:
ok it really doesn't bother me that much actually... but I beat the game on hard and I didn't get anything for it? I can tell you this was hard for sure too, it was definitely harder, but I just never got a reward? Did I do something wrong?

You got medal's?????

Top Bottom