• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kosma

Banned
Good to see many people enjoying this title.

Blablurn said:
wow, i guess i buy this one. quite a nice price. didn't know that the japanese version features englisch voiceover. german as well? i mean, my ps3 settings are in german.

I think every version features all the languages, for most games that is. I ordered the US one and it had all the European voices and all. I would strongly suggest you play with English voices , as they are the best.

Raist

Banned
Blablurn said:
wow, i guess i buy this one. quite a nice price. didn't know that the japanese version features englisch voiceover. german as well? i mean, my ps3 settings are in german.

All versions are the same AFAIK.
If you play it on a japanese system however, it looks like only japanese and english are available, for some reason.

I got it yesterday and I like it, but, I do seriously wonder why everyone is fapping so much :/ I hate to sound like a dick but maybe its just the PS3 "supporters" (Avoiding the word fanboy because supporter is less insulting and I don't want to insult them...), I mean yeh it looks good, but I get a lot of tearing and im not sure if thats really much of a compromise... the faces look quite bad too and I also think that they're trying to give Drake a personality but really failing badly...

All that said, I am really enjoying it, I like the more **** Raider like parts with all the jumping around rocks and cliffs and stuff and the shooting while Gears-like, is good too.
I was disappointed when Sulli(y?)
died at the beginning
although it did leave it quite open for a good story for the rest of the game.
I like the atmosphere too and running around a jungle, I loved stuff like Far Cry which is jungles and stuff so thats good :)

Despite the negatives i'd give it a good 8.5/9 from where I am right now and I am really enjoying it :)

John_B

I got the game for Christmas, and yesterday me and my brother played through it in one sitting.

I think the game is awesome, it's technically impressive (animation variety is ace) and fun to play. The game has that cheesy action humor that I really hate, but it fits very well with the rest of the game. I'm pretty sure that Naughty Dog will turn this into a series, I just hope they did better than expected sales-wise.

I have a few questions I hope some new veterans could answer me. I want to complete the game on Hard to unlock the highest difficulty and earn the medal, but I think there are several ways to complete the game on Hard.

1. I can continue from my last completion, but that takes me straight to the beginning on Normal again. I heard that if at any point you change the difficulty level of the game, it will only count the lowest difficulty you have used.

2. I can do chapter select on Hard. I'm not sure if the game simply checks the different chapters that you have completed, so completing all the chapters on Hard through chapter select could possibly work.

3. Start a new game on Hard. This option is very literally as it kinda makes a complete new game safe from scratch, except you can choose to have have your treasures, medals and rewards transfered.

Mesijs

I don't know if anyone noticed or if this has been discussed already or if anybody cared, but I checked the nominees for GS's 2007 awards and Uncharted isn't in any of the obvious categories... not in best technical graphics nor in best voice acting. How is that possible?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Mesijs said:
I don't know if anyone noticed or if this has been discussed already or if anybody cared, but I checked the nominees for GS's 2007 awards and Uncharted isn't in any of the obvious categories... not in best technical graphics nor in best voice acting. How is that possible?

playa hatin'

Game was great in almost every aspect and was sad to see it end. Im probably going to playthrough again with unlimited ammo and just hold the fire button down :D

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mesijs said:

It's not even nominated in the PS3 GOTY category...

And neither is Ratchet.

But AC is.

So is COD4.

And Rock Band.

And Oblivion.

Oh wait, they have one exclusive! Warhawk! YEA!

Idiots.

nib95

Banned
reilo said:
It's not even nominated in the PS3 GOTY category...

And neither is Ratchet.

But AC is.

So is COD4.

And Rock Band.

And Oblivion.

Oh wait, they have one exclusive! Warhawk! YEA!

Idiots.

The other games must have had advertising contracts on the site! :p

Dibbz

John_B said:
I got the game for Christmas, and yesterday me and my brother played through it in one sitting.

I think the game is awesome, it's technically impressive (animation variety is ace) and fun to play. The game has that cheesy action humor that I really hate, but it fits very well with the rest of the game. I'm pretty sure that Naughty Dog will turn this into a series, I just hope they did better than expected sales-wise.

I have a few questions I hope some new veterans could answer me. I want to complete the game on Hard to unlock the highest difficulty and earn the medal, but I think there are several ways to complete the game on Hard.

1. I can continue from my last completion, but that takes me straight to the beginning on Normal again. I heard that if at any point you change the difficulty level of the game, it will only count the lowest difficulty you have used.

2. I can do chapter select on Hard. I'm not sure if the game simply checks the different chapters that you have completed, so completing all the chapters on Hard through chapter select could possibly work.

3. Start a new game on Hard. This option is very literally as it kinda makes a complete new game safe from scratch, except you can choose to have have your treasures, medals and rewards transfered.

On my second play through I selected Continue, and I started again on normal. First thing I did was change the difficulty through the ingame options to hard. It checked off hard mode in the medals, once I finished it. You can do it through new game too I think, just select to keep all your treasures etc.

steverulez said:
I got it yesterday and I like it, but, I do seriously wonder why everyone is fapping so much :/ I hate to sound like a dick but maybe its just the PS3 "supporters" (Avoiding the word fanboy because supporter is less insulting and I don't want to insult them...), I mean yeh it looks good, but I get a lot of tearing and im not sure if thats really much of a compromise... the faces look quite bad too and I also think that they're trying to give Drake a personality but really failing badly...

All that said, I am really enjoying it, I like the more **** Raider like parts with all the jumping around rocks and cliffs and stuff and the shooting while Gears-like, is good too.
died at the beginning
I like the atmosphere too and running around a jungle, I loved stuff like Far Cry which is jungles and stuff so thats good :)

Despite the negatives i'd give it a good 8.5/9 from where I am right now and I am really enjoying it :)

your opinion...I disagree somewhat.

Though the sully point is spot on, pissed me off too.

aparisi2274

Hey qq...

I beat the game on normal, and I loved it... Is there any difference to the endings if you play it on Hard or Crushing? Just curious?

Jeff-DSA

I know this has been answered, but I don't have a lot of time to hunt down answers before lunch. I got two copies of Ratchet for Christmas (wife and mom didn't check with each other :D ), and I'm thinking of swapping one for Uncharted. I have some questions, however:

-What is the approximate length?
-Is there any replay factor?
-Does the gunplay really get that old?
-Does it force a lot of Sixaxis stuff?

dalin80

Banned
iam on chapter 14 at the moment (could be 16, my mind is shot)

3 things.

1, this game is superb
2, i HATE the vine/chain swinging mechanic
3, its annoying that the first thing the player sees when taking control in this utterly awesome looking game is a tree and rock taking a while to load there textures.

playing on normal, having fun. patience is key.

Jeff-DSA said:
I know this has been answered, but I don't have a lot of time to hunt down answers before lunch. I got two copies of Ratchet for Christmas (wife and mom didn't check with each other :D ), and I'm thinking of swapping one for Uncharted. I have some questions, however:

-What is the approximate length?
-Is there any replay factor?
-Does the gunplay really get that old?
-Does it force a lot of Sixaxis stuff?

10-12 or so hours on normal (by game clock, anyway)
I don't know about replay yet-- I am about to restart on hard, but that may be boring
Gunplpay did not get old for me-- but I haven't played GoW.
Barely any Sixaxis stuff, a few token uses, nothing regular.

Jeff-DSA

Thanks Ignatz, 10 hours is pretty solid for the type of game. I have my extra copy of Ratchet in my car, so on my lunch break I'm going to swap it out for Uncharted.

Should I start on Hard, or would that be a little frustrating?

quaere

The character models are actually one of my favorite parts of the game. I can't think of any game that has tried to make more detailed faces that hasn't fallen into the trap of them ending up unattractive and lifeless (I'm thinking of Oblivion and Mass Effect as two examples). Until someone can break through that barrier, less focus on photorealism is the way to go in my opinion.

Manp

i've finished the game in 8 hours and 29 minutes according to game clock. probably half an hour more if you count retries.

gunplay never gets old, it's always fun and satisfying. as for sixaxis controls, they're used to throw grenades (which i barely used because of the sixaxis control) and to balance the character when crossing bridges.

:)

Manp said:
i've finished the game in 8 hours and 29 minutes according to game clock. probably half an hour more if you count retries.

gunplay never gets old, it's always fun and satisfying. as for sixaxis controls, they're used to throw grenades (which i barely used because of the sixaxis control) and to balance the character when crossing bridges.

Re: Grenades.... really? I didn't notice, and I did reasonable well with them! I just moved around the arc onscreen-- I guess I titled by reflex!

Jeff, I don't know what hard is like. I almost always play games on normal, and go back and try hard after.

Dave1988

Jeff-DSA said:
Thanks Ignatz, 10 hours is pretty solid for the type of game. I have my extra copy of Ratchet in my car, so on my lunch break I'm going to swap it out for Uncharted.

Go with Normal. Get to know the game. Hard might be a bit too frustrating for a first playthrough.

Anyway, finished Crushing a minute ago. 1000 points. Game owned :D

Well back to playing Uncharted for me...now with infinite ammo! :lol

Manp

Ignatz Mouse said:
Re: Grenades.... really? I didn't notice, and I did reasonable well with them! I just moved around the arc onscreen-- I guess I titled by reflex!

yeah, you tilt the controller back and forth and the arc gets more/less wide... don't know if you can use normal controls to throw grenades tho O_O

I swear I just learned this with trial and error, and never realized I was changing the tilt. That's pretty cool!

I was doing just fine with the grenades, too.

Steroyd

Dave1988 said:
Go with Normal. Get to know the game. Hard might be a bit too frustrating for a first playthrough.

Anyway, finished Crushing a minute ago. 1000 points. Game owned :D

Well back to playing Uncharted for me...now with infinite ammo! :lol

Using Eddies golden gun is awesome, I recently got 1000 points yesturday, and was a little shocked that I didn't unlock everything. :(

Are the button sequences hidden in the game, or am I forced to actually go onto Gamefaqs and find out that way?

Jeff-DSA said:

Definitely play on Hard!
It makes the experience so much more enjoyable.
Easy is just a ridiculous cake walk.

Steroyd

I recently found out that I can blind fire throw grenades, I'm more accurate throwing them that way and if I had known earlier I wouldn't have wasted so many grenades in aim mode on crushing.

Just beat it on normal Christmas Eve, tried a little on hard. But haven't gotten to far into it yet. The next gen filter is great :lol

I'm excited to unlock more character skins.

Kittonwy

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Definitely play on Hard!
It makes the experience so much more enjoyable.
Easy is just a ridiculous cake walk.

Yep. Go hard or go home rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Steroyd

On normal you'll fluidly coast through it from area to area, like cutting through soft butter.

At least on Hard you have to at least stop and think about how you're going to go about in some areas.

On Crushing it takes everything that you learned through hard, and make you feel like a pussy.

steverulez said:
What bits do you disagree with? Im open for a reasonable discussion.

hmmm, although the shadowing looks strange, the faces look very good in game I think. Also, drake does have some personality by vg standards, far less bland than some recent games Ive played

Kittonwy

Banned
steverulez said:

You mean sonybots?

It's not that it's a PS3 game but that it's an awesome game period.

The tearing is a compromise when you consider having tearing and minimizing the drop to like maybe 27-28 fps or the other option, to have the framerate drop to 20.

Drake has a great personality, I thought they did a great job with the faces, especially with the game running the same models in the cinematics and during gameplay, the characters are very expressive, even the enemies, you don't get the huge drop in quality from player character to NPC/enemies like you do in other games.

died at the beginning

You're still early in the game.

Try playing another third-person shooter after Uncharted and you might realize how utterly clunky everything else is in comparison and you'll realize why Uncharted is being appreciated for what it is.

patsu

Kittonwy said:
Drake has a great personality, I thought they did a great job with the faces, especially with the game running the same models in the cinematics and during gameplay, the characters are very expressive, even the enemies, you don't get the huge drop in quality from player character to NPC/enemies like you do in other games.

Yes, I thought Drake and Elena are rather refreshing game characters. They remind me of my real life friends. I actually think ND has succeeded in making them likeable and believable.

Steroyd

Oh wow I just found out I can change the difficulty mid-game.

Flip world on *Crushed here I come.

*Crushed difficulty may change during play.

Pharmacy

Banned
why did no-one tell me about the
monsters
at the end
was it a shoutout to resistance or something

ruined the game completely

also i struggled on easy

also im a bad gamer

also im gay

Manp

it's more fun when bad things come unexpected... or not?

also, you better spoiler tag that part of your post

mauaus

Pharmacy said:
why did no-one tell me about the SPOILERS at the end

was it a shoutout to resistance or something

ruined the game completely

also i struggled on easy

also im a bad gamer

also im gay

At least it offers a pretty descent explanation as to why that happens, I found the game thrilling, like playing a Indiana Jones movie. I just hope the next indy game takes a few pages from uncharted.

Pharmacy

Banned
mauaus said:
At least it offers a pretty descent explanation as to why that happens, I found the game thrilling, like playing a Indiana Jones movie. I just hope the next indy game takes a few pages from uncharted.

oh what theres an explaination???????????????????

oops, gave up as soon as i started fighting them

better finish it then :)

Top Bottom