• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Banned
Synless said:
That shot looks like it came straight outta the "Next Gen Filter" and secondly it does more by even making the shirt wrinkle at all then any game has ever done for shirts or clothing.

Edit* Infact that shot clearly came from the Next Gen filter because that bloom and lack of color is not in the normal game. Nice try little troll.
I just started playing.

DSCF8970.jpg

DSCF8969.jpg

Metalmurphy said:
You sir, are out of your fucking mind...
Oh come on, I can't be the only person that things it looks stupid, can I?

It's far more distracting having his shirt flash between two sets of wrinkles all the time than if it were static.

Metalmurphy said:
How is that any different from anyother game? Or even real life
Real life breaks into squares around bright objects now?

Hopefully my DS3 turns up soon, my Sixaxis has cut out twice already.

Kittonwy

Banned
untoldhero said:
Does DS3 work on PAL systems, I really want to try it with Uncharted for crushing mode.

Yes. I don't think controllers have region restriction, at least not when it comes to using a JPN controller on a NA PS3.

andrewfee said:

It's far more distracting having his shirt flash between two sets of wrinkles all the time than if it were static.
I didn't even see what you're talking about, both on my TV and your video, so it certainly isn't distracting, let alone "flashy"...
andrewfee said:
Real life breaks into squares around bright objects now?
More like circles as you can see in the real life pic (or do I need to add some arrows for you to see?) and Uncharted... And again how is it any worst from other games?
andrewfee said:
Hopefully my DS3 turns up soon, my Sixaxis has cut out twice already
:lol Classic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
andrewfee said:

Yeah, I think you're about the only one so far I've seen to actually not like it. There's a whole bunch of wrinkle textures that kick in during different actions, it's not only two, and it looks great IMO.

"low" quality HDR... I don't know what to say. Even on your photo in the most extreme of conditions that you rarely ever actually encounter in the game, I barely see what you're saying I'm supposed to see. More importantly, this has been something I absolutely never encountered during playing the game.

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I think you're about the only one so far I've seen to actually not like it. There's a whole bunch of wrinkle textures that kick in during different actions, it's not only two, and it looks great IMO.

"low" quality HDR... I don't know what to say. Even on your photo in the most extreme of conditions that you rarely ever actually encounter in the game, I barely see what you're saying I'm supposed to see. More importantly, this has been something I absolutely never encountered during playing the game.

Happens before the UBoat to give a "cinematic" intro to the mini cutscene I believe. Obviously your not supposed to looked directly at the sun on that part but andrew here needs to find every single imperfection on the game, although It's not even an imperfection. it also happens, not as much though, on some other occasions where I actually thought it looked pretty damn awesome. I even stop at some places just moving the camera around to see the lighting effects.

bumpkin

andrewfee said:
The shirt is just three textures that blend together, it's not animated at all and looks ridiculous.

You've got the base texture and two wrinkle ones on top. Going left/right instantly fades between the two, and moving forward fades them in/out, it looks so bad.
http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF8966.MP4

The photo doesn't really show it off that well, but the glow just breaks up into lots of little blocks with the bloom/hdr.

DSCF8962.jpg

I thought you guys were all playing on big HDTVs and marvelling at how they weren't taking shortcuts on all the little details?
Are you serious? That was one of the first little details I noticed where I got my fiance's attention and said to her, "look! Watch his shirt.. It wrinkles as I walk." Uncharted is chock full of cool little details like that. I don't care how they did it or if they "took shortcuts." The end result looks cool either way.

Sheesh...

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Happens before the UBoat to give a "cinematic" intro to the mini cutscene I believe. Obviously your not supposed to looked directly at the sun on that part but andrew here needs to find every single imperfection on the game, although It's not even an imperfection. it also happens, not as much though, on some other occasions where I actually thought it looked pretty damn awesome. I even stop at some places just moving the camera around to see the lighting effects.
Actually, it was right at the start of the level, and then once Sully had lit the fires inside and finally the sunset. (that I just got to)

Something else I was wondering; he says they must've rolled the statue out on logs, yet there are three distinct track marks leading out which wouldn't have happened if they were rolling it on logs surely. (seems like the sort of thing you'd have if it were dragged, which would be really hard to do with a massive gold statue...)

Oh, and I like how he gives Sully the diary just as I'm about to go into the U-Boat so I don't get it wet, but had no problems diving into that water earlier. (right before the next set of conveniently placed barrels)

And whatever happened to the tearing being "minor" ? It's got to be some of the worst I've seen so far, it's tearing constantly in pretty much every room/area you get to.

http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF8972.MP4

My eyes!

andrewfee said:
Actually, it was right at the start of the level, and then once Sully had lit the fires inside and finally the sunset. (that I just got to)

Something else I was wondering; he says they must've rolled the statue out on logs, yet there are three distinct track marks leading out which wouldn't have happened if they were rolling it on logs surely. (seems like the sort of thing you'd have if it were dragged, which would be really hard to do with a massive gold statue...)

Oh, and I like how he gives Sully the diary just as I'm about to go into the U-Boat so I don't get it wet, but had no problems diving into that water earlier. (right before the next set of conveniently placed barrels)

And whatever happened to the tearing being "minor" ? It's got to be some of the worst I've seen so far, it's tearing constantly in pretty much every room/area you get to.

My eyes!
You gotta be fucking kidding me...

How you're not yet banned is beyond me...

Zen

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
This game is going to do fine. Even though Sony sucks balls at advertising a game before its release they really do a good job of continually promoting a game for a long long time. This thing will sell its million plus units it will just take a couple months. And can you imagine how awesome the sequel could be? I mean according to that interview they lost almost a whole year just because of development problems and they still came out with a game this polished. Just the idea of how much they could improve the next one in every way has me so giddy.

I was wondering if someone could repost the Uncharted interview this post in mentioning. I distinctly remember someone made a post that went along the lines of

Naughty Dog:

Only works with a Team of X many people
Only works with a budget of X million
Only takes 2 years...

etc.

I'd really like to see the interview but I can't find it anywhere in the thread.

Uh sorry, and thanks.

Balthier

Banned
the_id said:
How many bans has this thread handed out to trolls? Too many I think....

Considering andrewfee's latest shenanigans I'd say "not enough". I wonder how many PS3 threads does a troll like him has to fuck up until he gets banned.

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
You gotta be fucking kidding me...

How you're not yet banned is beyond me...
I should be banned? Sorry for listening to guys raving on about the game then.

"Tearing is minor, animated wrinkles/creases, no draw-in at all..."

I'm really enjoying the game so far - the lighting is really well done, the animation in the cutscenes is great, the audio sounds really good. But you Sony fans don't half talk some shit about exclusives. ("Resistance doesn't tear or slow down at all!"

patsu

andrewfee said:

If there is 2000lb of gold right in front of my family, you can count on us to move it one way or the other. Hard is not exactly a show stopper.

I thought that was the first time he dived into the water ?

My eyes!

andrewfee, you have a great TV. Don't waste it on useless trolling. Nothing you say will make the game looks bad, but it has started to make you look so.

If it's tearing constantly on your TV, then find the root cause. The game plays well on many of our screens.

If you don't like the game, or even the PS3, sell it/them. I am pretty sure the developers, Sony and us would prefer that than your misplaced comments.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm sure that was not his intention, but the "no draw in at all" video shows a really nice feature of ND's engines, something they've groomed and perfected since Jak 1 actually. Most other games still just have an abrupt pop-in where things appear instantly. Here detail fades in and 'grows' from the existing geometry, which looks so much better and less annoying.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
I'm sure that was not his intention, but the "no draw in at all" video shows a really nice feature of ND's engines, something they've groomed and perfected since Jak 1 actually. Most other games still just have an abrupt pop-in where things appear instantly. Here detail fades in and 'grows' from the existing geometry, which looks so much better and less annoying.
YUp

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, you're right it does look good. Oblivion looked a lot better for it too, once they patched the 360 version.

However it's hardly "no draw in" as people had been claiming. I'm not knocking the game for it, just that it seems PS3 fans will overlook anything if it's exclusive.

How anyone can call the tearing minor is beyond me, unless the game runs a lot better in SD or something.

andrewfee said:
Yeah, you're right it does look good. Oblivion looked a lot better for it too, once they patched the 360 version.

However it's hardly "no draw in" as people had been claiming. I'm not knocking the game for it, just that it seems PS3 fans will overlook anything if it's exclusive.

How anyone can call the tearing minor is beyond me, unless the game runs a lot better in SD or something.
I'm running it on HD and it is very minor, infact I only remember one part where it stood out and it was actually on that place where you made the video but only when I turned the camera fast.

Anyway you don't need to hide your agenda, your constant trolling of anything PS3 related in almost every PS3 related thread speaks for itself.

deepbrown

andrewfee said:

Go away and play, finish, then review it. please. All this dilly dallying is very frustrating.

JB1981

andrewfee said:

do you anal probe your own ass this intensely? just sayin ....

Dragon

Banned
andrewfee said:

What resolution are you running in? I saw minor tearing only at the start of levels in 720p. Some people have complained on 1080i. In either case don't compare this game to Oblivion again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
andrewfee said:
Maybe make sure the game is running in 720p? I dunno, I did, and still think tearing is rather minor, and I've finished the game twice already. The video you linked there is about as bad as it gets, and it not really that bad even in that video.

Banned
Genuine complaint about the game, rather than about GAF lies about the game.

How do I get rid of this popping up all the time?

DSCF8977.jpg

I turned off Game Hints before I even started, and I'm playing on Hard, so why does it insist on telling me these things?

(terrible photo as I rushed before it disappeared and the camera wasn't set right for it)

Marconelly said:
Maybe make sure the game is running in 720p? I dunno, I did, and still think tearing is rather minor, and I've finished the game twice already. The video you linked there is about as bad as it gets, and it not really that bad even in that video.
My PS3 has all the resolutions enabled, but I'm pretty sure it's running in 720p. (games usually only scale to 1080p if you disable everything else, right?)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dralla said:

Hehe funny thing is I am acutally on my 3rd try on and I am at the first 2 screen part really awesome game BTW I love the Eddy Raja outfit too bad it does not get wet once you go into water.

patsu

andrewfee said:
I suppose I should have expected that :lol

It keeps telling me the same ones though, like press circle to drop down a ledge etc.

Perhaps your PS3 noticed that you keep missing the point ? I must be pretty good then since the on-screen help rarely showed up.

Banned
dalyr95 said:
WTF, the start of the game is giving me hints on how to play the thing, what will they think of next...
I'm one of those people. You know, the ones that knows how to play games and doesn't want all this tutorial crap, turns off the guide in the Metroid Prime games etc.

Seeing as it's an option in the menu, it would be nice if it actually did something.

patsu

The "Hint" option applies to puzzle hints (e.g., where to look for solution). On screen help is on/available in case people such as yourself are lost on basic stuff I guess.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
the_id said:
This thread needs to die. Give us Uncharted 2 god damn it!

It shall never die never surrender here is hoping we make to at least 15,000 posts before they show anything related to Uncharted 2! :D

Basch

Elbrain said:
It shall never die never surrender here is hoping we make to at least 15,000 posts before they show anything related to Uncharted 2! :D

Me Gods. Its only been two months. They just got back from break. I'm betting it will be about four more months at least before we hear about their new project. And even then, Uncharted 2 may not be the one announced. Just wanted to make sure you guys were aware of that. Don't want anybody getting disappointed. :D

the_id

I'm hooked on this game but also getting tired of seeing the same thing too many times. Played the games 7 time. I need uncharted 2 god damn it!!!

Basch

the_id said:
I'm hooked on this game but also getting tired of seeing the same thing too many times. Played the games 7 time. I need uncharted 2 god damn it!!!

If I had to make a random guess, I would say you could probably beat the game 50 more times before the next one. The game won't be coming out for awhile. :lol You can always cross your fingers, but don't set yourself up for disappointment. ND may not dive right into Uncharted 2, or if they do, it may take longer than you expect.

Banned
So, I'm in chapter 5/6 now, and having a lot of fun with it, as I expected to after the demo. The combat gets a bit tiresome in places, and it's still giving me hints every now and then. The most recent one telling me how to aim grenades with the sixaxis while I'm in the middle of doing that. :lol (and for what it's worth, I'm now up to 6 dropouts so far, two of which have resulted in deaths)

Something that has surprised me about the game so far is the soundtrack though, I wasn't expecting anything this good. Is it available to buy anywhere? (CD)

Currently I'm
climbing to the tower to fine Elena
and it's basically ICO with guns right now - sounds absurd, but I'm really enjoying climbing around the ruins.

McLovin

Why do people complain about tearing.. I went through the whole game and didn't even notice tearing. They must have been looking for it really hard :/

Truespeed

McLovin said:
Why do people complain about tearing.. I went through the whole game and didn't even notice tearing. They must have been looking for it really hard :/

Certain people just need to find something to criticize, I guess. I also completed the game and I can't ever recall noticing the level of screen tearing or draw in that this person describes. Perhaps I was too enamored with the amazing visuals and actually having a good time playing the game to look for any visual flaws. I'm really not sure whether his claims are substantiated or not because we all have different displays and there are flaws with the majority of them. Before I upgraded my Samsung LNT series LCD to the latest firmware I experienced screen tearing in quite a few games. After the upgrade (have to love being able to upgrade your TV firmware with a USB key), the majority of the tearing issues went away and any further screen tearing I noticed was actually due to the game and not the LCD firmware.

Banned
Excellent, not only does my (fully charged the night before) Sixaxis battery run out, the game just crashed on me. :lol

(Chapter 17, running from the... undead?

Tearing isn't something you have to look for, in my opinion, it's immediately obvious and gives a lot of people headaches/sore eyes. I don't care how good your game looks, V-Sync should always be on.

Top Bottom