• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wax Free Vanilla said:
good game up until the final fight - now get on with a new jak & daxter game because that is the better series.
one main thing i really like about the game are the controls. they are just about perfect and are a benchmark for all future ps3 action games.

i'd like to see a reworked getaway from sony put on psn - do it! :D

:lol :lol

come on , I don't want Amy Hennig to stay or old series maybe New IP or Uncharted 2 but no more Jak , also Jak and Daxter trilogy is finished and PS3 don't need new platform game right now ( there is already LBP /and that Ape Escape team's PS3 game ) we don't need 2nd K2/R2 war .

near

Gold Member
Just finished the game, and to put it simply it was breathtaking. :lol It surpassed my initial expectations, now leading me to believe it is the best title currently available on the Playstation 3. I'm definitely going to play through it again on Crushing!

Kittonwy

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
good game up until the final fight - now get on with a new jak & daxter game because that is the better series.

one main thing i really like about the game are the controls. they are just about perfect and are a benchmark for all future ps3 action games.

i'd like to see a reworked getaway from sony put on psn - do it! :D

Jak isn't a better series, more importantly Uncharted is the series by the people who are now at Naughty Dog, this is probably what they want to work on more, there will be a time when they will revisit Jak but the IP needs to sit for awhile after four games.
Indifferent2.gif

I just finished. I loved the part when
the zombies/ghouls showed up .
. . I didn't expect it but in hindsight, it was perfectly obvious. The game is a huge rip-off of Indiana Jones & Tomb Raider, but I say that as a compliment. I loved it.

Nit-picks: The platforming was too easy and the puzzles were waaaay too easy (They barely existed). But the gunplay was so well done, I guess that was what the game was about. Perhaps they felt some people would be turned-off by the puzzles, but I think they should have a way of setting the puzzle difficultly like they way they have of setting the gunplay difficulty (Easy, medium, hard).

I did run into a few couple bugs. I got stuck on a wall once and had to restart. Drake also froze once with the map floating in front of him. But the bugs were nothing that would cause me to take points away from game though. Just a quick 'restart at last checkpoint' and I was back in the game.

I'm glad they switched Elena to a blond, she looked much better than the brunette version.

I've got a big backlog of games but I know I'll be playing through this again.

I hope Naughty Dog is working on a sequel to this game, it really deserves one. Fuck Jack & Daxter, they are played out.

The PS3 NEEDS MORE GAMES LIKE THIS!!!!!

Snah

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Jak isn't a better series, more importantly Uncharted is the series by the people who are now at Naughty Dog, this is probably what they want to work on more, there will be a time when they will revisit Jak but the IP needs to sit for awhile after four games.
Indifferent2.gif

Agreed.

Jak = old news.

Uncharted >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jak

Kittonwy

Banned
speculawyer said:
I just finished. I loved the part when
the zombies/ghouls showed up .
. . I didn't expect it but in hindsight, it was perfectly obvious. The game is a huge rip-off of Indiana Jones & Tomb Raider, but I say that as a compliment. I loved it.

Nit-picks: The platforming was too easy and the puzzles were waaaay too easy (They barely existed). But the gunplay was so well done, I guess that was what the game was about. Perhaps they felt some people would be turned-off by the puzzles, but I think they should have a way of setting the puzzle difficultly like they way they have of setting the gunplay difficulty (Easy, medium, hard).

I did run into a few couple bugs. I got stuck on a wall once and had to restart. Drake also froze once with the map floating in front of him. But the bugs were nothing that would cause me to take points away from game though. Just a quick 'restart at last checkpoint' and I was back in the game.

I'm glad they switched Elena to a blond, she looked much better than the brunette version.

I've got a big backlog of games but I know I'll be playing through this again.

I hope Naughty Dog is working on a sequel to this game, it really deserves one. Fuck Jack & Daxter, they are played out.

The PS3 NEEDS MORE GAMES LIKE THIS!!!!!

I'm glad you liked it.
gladtomeetya.gif

Elbrain said:
Yeah it does deserver more on sales wise and hopefully it will have long legs very long legs.
Well apparently Sony is gonna use it as a pack-in . . . that is good. The game will see a wide audience and it is a good game to show of the PS3 to others.

Kittonwy

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Jak is not finished!

Well it is according to Barrelama. Jak should just get busy with Keira and start pumping out those young'uns, while Daxter and Tess should start repopulating the world with ottsels.
Indifferent2.gif

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD!

Adamrogo said:
Game of this gen so far for me, I absolutely love it!
Here's a couple shots of my favorite scene:
UDF1.jpg

UDF2.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I like the way he strikes that pose when the game senses that you are looking at the scenery. Nice touch.

Another thing I noticed about Uncharted . . . I pays tribute to the almighty GoldenEye. The animations of the enemies are much like the ground breaking GoldenEye animations. Shooting legs and having them grab their legs, shooting their helmets off, etc.

MercuryLS

Banned
Snah said:
Agreed.

Jak = old news.

Uncharted >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jak

Agreed. This game has changed a former ND hater into a ND lover. I've hated all their games, Crash, Jak, etc. But Uncharted is just awesome. All I want with the sequel is a longer adventure, more streamlined cover controls (it's pretty good right now, but could be a bit better) and more varied, harder platforming and puzzles.

speculawyer said:
Another thing I noticed about Uncharted . . . I pays tribute to the almighty GoldenEye. The animations of the enemies are much like the ground breaking GoldenEye animations. Shooting legs and having them grab their legs, shooting their helmets off, etc.

Yeah I notices that too. The enemy tactics and reactions to your characters actions is above and beyond any game I've played in recent memory.

SaitoH

After an almost two month hiatus I finally picked it up again and finished Crushing difficulty. Everything's unlocked!

Huzzah!

Still talking about Goldeneye, I noticed that a piece of a song from Uncharted has the same melody from one of the main songs of Gondeneye 007 ( the movie). A part of it plays exactly like Natalia's theme from that movie. Anybody noticed?

Yoboman

In retrospect, I think I liked Jak better than Uncharted. I think they missed the mark in many ways with Uncharted, so I'd prefer that they continue with this franchise. Make it more open and up the length and better platforming/puzzles

Just finished it on normal. This is right now the best game on PS3 bar none. However as a consumer, I wouldn't recommend people to purchase this though simply b/c it's length. You can easily cruise through this game within a week so rent it if you can. I took my time and clocked in at under 10 hours ( 4 sessions, no more than 2.5 hours a session). What I hope Sony does is to make this game a pack in. The gameplay, graphical prowess and cinematic style showcase the PS3's capabilities perfectly.

Well I finally completed Uncharted in a marathon gaming session today (I didn't start the game today but played about 4 hours straight to finish it). I played it on normal and found 16 treasures.

While I agree that Uncharted is a great game, I had fun playing through it, but is it nowhere near the amazing game people here make it out to be.

Cons.

Simplistic platforming, never once was it difficult or tension filled.

The barrels, no game set in a ruins filled jungle should have a shitload of barrels like Uncharted did. It ruined a lot of the immersion for me. Nothing like exploring deep ruins, then having to shoot barrels to open up pathways.

Any chapter in which the
mutated spainairds
were involved. They almost ruined the game for me. I liked them when they were used in context of the story, but not for gunplay. Especially when they were mixed with
humans

Lame puzzles, they lacked originality.

The last chapter on the
boat
for some reason once I got to that part it seemed like the enemies all of a sudden took more damage than before, and I took less. It felt way too cheap, plus a boss battle finale that was terrible the context sensitive actions never felt like they really connected.

Pros.

Fucking amazing looking game, was in awe the entire time. I loved all the animations Drake was capable of, sometimes running tiredly, taking his time down steps, and all the different cover animations. The expressions during cutscenes were believeable The tearing was over exaggerated by many people here it never hindered the game for me.

Awesome gunplay, the cover system was great, and the AI was challenging, always moving around, trying to get the best of you, always making you be on your toes.

Good story, I'm a sucker for old legends and I was sucked into the Francis Drake story from the beginning. Had a decent amount of twists that definitely kept me sucked in. Even the ending didn't feel forced to try to segue into a sequel.

Fun driving sections, wether on the jeep or jetskis it was never too short or too long.

Actually good buddy AI, not once was that hot blondie ever in my way or make me frustrated.

The pros definitely outweighed the cons. I will buy a sequel day one. Nice job Naugty Dog.

Zen

Banned
Totobeni said:
:lol :lol

come on , I don't want Amy Hennig to stay or old series maybe New IP or Uncharted 2 but no more Jak , also Jak and Daxter trilogy is finished and PS3 don't need new platform game right now ( there is already LBP /and that Ape Escape team's PS3 game ) we don't need 2nd K2/R2 war .

Jak/Ratchet/Sly did just fine, and really, Uncharted still has a ways to go to be better than Jak, but they're still only on the first game. As it stands, Uncharted is barely a platformer, or it's platforming is barely a platformer, to be more accurate, and it uses a Gears of War shooting system without any online multiplayer component. Really they should open up the level design in uncharted 2, because the game is in this akward place of not really being a good platformer, but having platforming elelements, and not being a really good TPS, but being a TPS without any online component, and sort of being an exploration Tomb Raider game, without nearly as open level design.

Jtrizzy

Yeah I have to agree on the barrelz. I worship this game as much as anyone, (have played through it 6 times) but driving the jetski up river while shooting barrelz is especially stupid. The whole jetski thing is kind of broken to me honestly. Why not either just drive or shoot? The whole stop and pop thing just sucks and is completely unrealistic. Drake and Elena are just sitting ducks when you have to stop and shoot.

and definitely don't do some cartoony shit like Jak. With a powerful system like the ps3, go for realism.

jax (old)

Banned
Im playing through again now on crushing. And having a GRREEAAT time with it. Buy this game. I'm going to finish it on crushing and then try to get all the "rewards". Best $79 AUD I spent!

lovely graphics
fun game

love it!

mysticstylez said:
Any chapter in which the
mutated spainairds
were involved. They almost ruined the game for me. I liked them when they were used in context of the story, but not for gunplay. Especially when they were mixed with
humans

I thought that the part
where you have to deal with both was zombie spaniards and pirates was awesome. Get them to fight each other and then get rid of the the survivors. I can see how you don't like the zombie spaniards b/c it switches up the gameplay but to me is was a refreshing change of pace.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone listen to 1up yours on Friday? I'm glad that Flynn from gaygamer.com took a moment to call out Uncharted to praise it.

Jtrizzy said:
Yeah I have to agree on the barrelz. I worship this game as much as anyone, (have played through it 6 times) but driving the jetski up river while shooting barrelz is especially stupid. The whole jetski thing is kind of broken to me honestly. Why not either just drive or shoot? The whole stop and pop thing just sucks and is completely unrealistic. Drake and Elena are just sitting ducks when you have to stop and shoot.

and definitely don't do some cartoony shit like Jak. With a powerful system like the ps3, go for realism.

You could shoot those barrels and enemies without holding L1 you know. Thus making it more realistic and fun. I ended up doing this on the third time through. Just floor it and keep firing. Don't stop and aim to kill the enemies.... fly right by while popping off some shots.

Core407

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
You could shoot those barrels and enemies without holding L1 you know. Thus making it more realistic and fun. I ended up doing this on the third time through. Just floor it and keep firing. Don't stop and aim to kill the enemies.... fly right by while popping off some shots.

Elena shoots while Drake drives?

ElyrionX

So I just bought a PS3 (and Uncharted) and have just started the game. I'm reading GameFAQs to see if there are any noteworthy unlockables and have found none so far. I did see the FAQ (written by our very own YYZ) about treasure locations. What are these treasures and does finding them all do anything in terms of gameplay?

ElyrionX said:
So I just bought a PS3 (and Uncharted) and have just started the game. I'm reading GameFAQs to see if there are any noteworthy unlockables and have found none so far. I did see the FAQ (written by our very own YYZ) about treasure locations. What are these treasures and does finding them all do anything in terms of gameplay?(x3) lol

finding all treasures, including the "secret" treasure, awards you with medal points. Gaining points unlocks a bunch of skins, filters, and slo-mo/fast-mo option.... and also a weapon select and infinite ammo. Are these not "noteworthy" enough?

Jtrizzy

MoonsaultSlayer said:

I did know that, but didn't realize you could get by the enemies that way. She definitely won't hit them that way. I figured you had to stop and kill them...My point applies to the other jet ski sections where she has the grenade launcher though. Why would you ever stop to shoot?

MercuryLS said:
Agreed. This game has changed a former ND hater into a ND lover. I've hated all their games, Crash, Jak, etc. But Uncharted is just awesome. All I want with the sequel is a longer adventure, more streamlined cover controls (it's pretty good right now, but could be a bit better) and more varied, harder platforming and puzzles.

Yeah I notices that too. The enemy tactics and reactions to your characters actions is above and beyond any game I've played in recent memory.

play HL2 after this...the enemy AI in that game is very poor, such a contrast.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I finally caved in and got a PS3, I really wanted to play this game.

Picked one up today with Uncharted,Rachet and DMC4, just need to calibrate my tv then I can have some of that awesome barrelton sauce.

IzumiK

Banned
Deacan said:
I finally caved in and got a PS3, I really wanted to play this game.

Picked one up today with Uncharted,Rachet and DMC4, just need to calibrate my tv then I can have some of that awesome barrelton sauce.

Welcome to the cave.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
so I just bought this game. on stage 4 or 5 I think. I have to say, I really like the writing. characters are funny and very likable. gameplay is great so far. found the bad guys a little easy so I upped the difficulty and I've already had quite a few OMFG moments. the platforming is also excellent so far.

gotta say, I'm glad I bought it.

GOD FUCKING DAMN! Finally finished it! The last single-player game i played was Assassin's Creed. I thought it was pretty alright until i played this beauty. Jumped straight to hard since my bro said that it's pretty easy even on normal. Words cannot describe how badass this game is!

Gotta start playing it in Expert (or whatever they called it :p).

Naughty Dog! *bows*

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I just got back from my nearest best buy in Houston. Got Cod4, R&C, DMC4 and was going to get Uncharted but the damn store was completley out so i asked a clerk and he says they cant find them. Their system says they should have a bunch but they either never got them or they "misplaced" them.

Dont hate me, i was going to get the game, and still will! kittonwyangryface.jpg

Airkiru said:
Just finished the game, and to put it simply it was breathtaking. :lol It surpassed my initial expectations, now leading me to believe it is the best title currently available on the Playstation 3. I'm definitely going to play through it again on Crushing!

I finished it a week ago. Best game i have played this Gen.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Finally beat it.
I thought the last part of the game would have been really stupid if it was a movie, but I did really appreciate them switching up the game play. The story was bellow what I was used to seeing in a naughty dog game, but I did feel they did a good job in getting me attached to the characters. I missed the jumping puzzles by the end. Good times though.
It will be really interesting to see where naughtydog takes uncharted for the next installment.

Defcon

Banned
I got it along with my PS3 a few weeks ago. I think it took me 3 days to beat it. I was absolutely hooked from the beginning. Best single player experience since RE4 for me.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Defcon said:
I got it along with my PS3 a few weeks ago. I think it took me 3 days to beat it. I was absolutely hooked from the beginning. Best single player experience since RE4 for me.

Yeah well the last part of the game
really reminded me of resident evil 4 a lot
and I realized just how much I missed that since beating it on
gamecube.

Top Bottom