• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Xabora

Just wondering....
Does Nathan seem to remind you of Shepherd in SG:A?

18420506.jpg

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Cant get over how beautiful this game is, and now that i found out i can turn the hints off (makes the puzzles at least somewhat challenging now) this game is shaping up to be wow.

AKS

Variable said:
I hope this game gets released with a new PS3 bundle, I would pick one up in a second.

Maybe you can add this component to the $299 white PS3 rumor mill? White PS3 bundled with Uncharted for $299? :lol :D Every iteration of that $299 rumor seems to add great stuff (that I doubt we'll see in reality).

I would think Ratchet would be the best choice for a bundled game given its rating and universal appeal, but I think Uncharted is the best game on the PS3 (and my GOTY for 2007). Definitely a must buy game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FootNinja said:
Cant get over how beautiful this game is, and now that i found out i can turn the hints off (makes the puzzles at least somewhat challenging now) this game is shaping up to be wow.
What exactly are the hints in this game? Can you give an example? Isn't it already a hint that you have to open the diary to see, well the hint for the solution of every puzzle. I had hints disabled in options, and it still pointed out that I have to use the diary every time a puzzle came along.

SappYoda

Marconelly said:
What exactly are the hints in this game? Can you give an example? Isn't it already a hint that you have to open the diary to see, well the hint for the solution of every puzzle. I had hints disabled in options, and it still pointed out that I have to use the diary every time a puzzle came along.

That a special case because you are only allowed to use the diary in some places.

Marconelly said:

With hints on, it'll usually show you where you need to go if you linger too long in one area. For example, if you need to get up on a ledge where there's a door to the next area, it'll give you the L2 icon (or whatever button it was for hits) and holding down that button will zoom the camera to where you need to go. I don't think it actually has anything to do with the puzzles.

Chris R

First stage was easy enough, second one was fine until I got to the pit with the ledges and spent the next half hour killing myself to hear Vic scream and cry about me dying :lol

How many # stages am I looking at here, and how does saving actually work in the game? Is it only at the stage ends or can I save at any time and it will get me close to where I was?

rhfb said:
First stage was easy enough, second one was fine until I got to the pit with the ledges and spent the next half hour killing myself to hear Vic scream and cry about me dying :lol

How many # stages am I looking at here, and how does saving actually work in the game? Is it only at the stage ends or can I save at any time and it will get me close to where I was?
It's checkpoint based, there are several checkpoints through each chapter (21 chapthers btw). Just save and exit, you'll never be too far behind when you load.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Struct09 said:
I completed the game today, and you pretty much nailed my thoughts. The only point I would disagree with is about hand to hand combat - it was useful at times (and fun to pull off).

By far my biggest complaint is
the "zombie" like creatures near the end. That really took me out of the cinematic experience, and killed the pacing of the story for me.

Still, great game, will play the sequel(s).

Did you watch the Indiana Jones movies? I played the game expecting an Indiana Jones-like-movie-game experience and under that point of view even that made sense (the story seemed to build up in a way that would have left some big plot holes or a cliffhanger, but it did not and I was not disappointed by the ending... just that
they should have let Nathan kiss Elena!!!!
).

AKS

Panajev2001a said:
Did you watch the Indiana Jones movies? I played the game expecting an Indiana Jones-like-movie-game experience and under that point of view even that made sense (the story seemed to build up in a way that would have left some big plot holes or a cliffhanger, but it did not and I was not disappointed by the ending... just that
).

I agree. It was perfectly in synch with the themes of the sources that influenced it. Awesome job by ND.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Panajev2001a said:
).

Yeah I agree with that it should of happened oh well hopefully a
full sex scene in the sequel!
:D

Rolf NB

Elbrain said:
Yeah I agree with that it should of happened oh well hopefully a
full sex scene in the sequel!
:D
"With the Sixaxis, you're not controlling the action directly, but rather you're holding the reigns."

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just beat this game, and wow.. Orange box aside definitely my GOTY 07.

Graphics, Story, Gameplay, Presentation, even the achievs all added to an amazing experience and i did NOT think there was too much gun-play.

I enjoyed just about every gun-fight in this game, and the ending was just great :).

Kittonwy

Banned
FootNinja said:
Just beat this game, and wow.. Orange box aside definitely my GOTY 07.

Graphics, Story, Gameplay, Presentation, even the achievs all added to an amazing experience and i did NOT think there was too much gun-play.

I enjoyed just about every gun-fight in this game, and the ending was just great :).

I thought the gunplay was great, just the way the difficulty was tuned, they just nailed it. The jetski sections were alright but I liked the jeep section way more. There's still alot more they can do with Uncharted 2, now that they got the tech, characters, art and basic gameplay system nailed they can simply go nuts on the gameplay content and scenarios. I finished another playthrough last night, definitely my favorite game on the PS3 along with Resistance.
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

Kittonwy said:
I thought the gunplay was great, just the way the difficulty was tuned, they just nailed it. The jetski sections were alright but I liked the jeep section way more. There's still alot more they can do with Uncharted 2, now that they got the tech, characters, art and basic gameplay system nailed they can simply go nuts on the gameplay content and scenarios. I finished another playthrough last night, definitely my favorite game on the PS3 along with Resistance.
Indifferent2.gif

Not a Ratchet lover? :D

J-Rzez

Panajev2001a said:
just that
).

Nathan is the man's man,
he wouldn't kiss her, he'd back off saying she could use a shower or something funny, then spin her around and bend her over, g'nite!

I'm replaying on Hard. I got to Sanctuary? in Ch. 13, and there's a 'mash Triangle to open the gate' thing. Except that every time it gets about 70% of the way up it bangs back down. I think I'm hitting it pretty fast, and I even set the controller down on the table and pounded Triangle as fast as I could, old-timey Nintendo style, and it still does it. It's in the same place every time, too, and I've never had a problem with those moments in the game before, hitting it much slower.

Glitch? Has anyone heard of this?

Edit: I even quit and re-started the game, but no help.

Captain Glanton said:
I'm replaying on Hard. I got to Sanctuary? in Ch. 13, and there's a 'mash Triangle to open the gate' thing. Except that every time it gets about 70% of the way up it bangs back down. I think I'm hitting it pretty fast, and I even set the controller down on the table and pounded Triangle as fast as I could, old-timey Nintendo style, and it still does it. It's in the same place every time, too, and I've never had a problem with those moments in the game before, hitting it much slower.

Glitch? Has anyone heard of this?

Edit: I even quit and re-started the game, but no help.

If that's the part I'm thinking of, you have to
get Elena in there to help
. There's
a wall with a bunch of explosive barrels in front of it
. You should be able to figure out what to do from there.

Edit, or wait, you're REPLAYING it? So you should already know that. Maybe you did find a glitch :(

ThirstyFly said:
If that's the part I'm thinking of, you have to
get Elena in there to help
. There's
a wall with a bunch of explosive barrels in front of it
. You should be able to figure out what to do from there.

Edit, or wait, you're REPLAYING it? So you should already know that. Maybe you did find a glitch :(

Smacks forehead.

Not a spoiler, but I'm so embarassed. I had just turned on the 'next gen' filter, and the barrels were nearly invisible with that on. And I played it first in November, so I'd forgotten all about it.

Thanks.

Captain Glanton said:
Smacks forehead.

Not a spoiler, but I'm so embarassed. I had just turned on the 'next gen' filter, and the barrels were nearly invisible with that on. And I played it first in November, so I'd forgotten all about it.

Thanks.

haha. No problem :) Glad it wasn't a glitch.

AKS

Captain Glanton said:
Smacks forehead.

Thanks.

Can't say I didn't get a laugh out of that, but these things happen. :lol

Also, are you a big fan of "The Hammer" (in pic)?

quetz67

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Uncharted passed a million in sales according to PS3Fanboy.com
Hope it is true, if so my predicted 2M lifetime shouldnt be a problem.

slowly I get the impression US american gamers have no taste.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
quetz67 said:
Hope it is true, if so my predicted 2M lifetime shouldnt be a problem.

slowly I get the impression US american gamers have no taste.

What the whole buying the games in millions with bald space marines with 10 inch thick armor not enough evidence?!?!?!

mrpogi23

whoever has a ps3 or planning on getting one... PLEASE do yourself a favor and buy this amazing game... this game deserve to be one of best games on ps3... and imo the best graphics on any console in its genre.

I held off buying this game because of the demo. While visually impressive and admirably fluid, I was really turned off by how much it seemed like a third-person shooter. It seemed a waste of those lush environments to pin the player down with gunfire and force them to narrow focus to a reticle.

After all the praise, though, I went ahead and got it. I'm through Chapter 9, and the game is phenomenal. I still think the firefights tend to last too long--smaller engagements could have been adjusted for the same tension but less over-the-top murder simulation--but the whole package makes up for it. You get plenty of time to look over the environments, which are even more stunning than the demo indicated. What's more, the pacing is absolutely top-notch. Nothing in the game leaps out as novel or unique (which might account for the low sales given its pedigree), but everything is buffed to a high luster. It's like a lucid dream. I'm very happy I bought it.

Sanjay

just beat this game, what the hell were they thinking there at the end? the Aimbot aiming drove me mad. i actually liked the ending story,
nice little twist with the gold not being the goal but the disease inside, most likely was going to be sold to the highest bid to terrorist, never saw that coming at all.
game was great overall really liked the jumping platforming about.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
darkressurection said:
A little LTTP here, but I just got Uncharted. All I can say is that it is AFW. I just
saved Sully in the monastery
how much more do I have?

A good chunk I think 3-5hrs depending on your pace.

mileS

I was quite surprised how smooth and easy the aiming is. I've been getting tons of headshots with the pistol so far, and the amazing death animations make it extremely satisfying when you pop a dude in the face.

Miburou

Finished the game a couple of days ago. Great graphics, but textures sometimes take a couple of second to load (not sure if it's just my machine). Also, since my system is a Japanese one, no blood for me (no great loss).

The shooting didn't feel as satisfying as I hoped, but the gameplay was still fun. And the sound is amazing! Best use of my HDMI 7.1 sound system yet.

BPK

Uncharted is certainly a great game but at times it feels redundant when you're fighting wave after wave of pirates. When Nathan says "You've got to be kidding me" or "Where are these guys coming from," it's almost as if Naughty Dog recognized that the game leans perhaps a little too much on the combat mechanic.

Mifune

Mehmber
I've been pretty lukewarm on Uncharted so far, but after giving it and every other game a rest for a couple months, I picked it up over the weekend. And I think I'm coming around.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the jetski up the river sequence. Yeah, the shooting was lame, but the ride itself was beautiful and oddly calming.

SRG01

Mifune said:
I've been pretty lukewarm on Uncharted so far, but after giving it and every other game a rest for a couple months, I picked it up over the weekend. And I think I'm coming around.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the jetski up the river sequence. Yeah, the shooting was lame, but the ride itself was beautiful and oddly calming.

Up the river or up the
rapids and waterfalls
. The second one made me so nauseous that I paused the game and nearly fell out of my chair!

Mifune

Mehmber
SRG01 said:
Up the river or up the
rapids and waterfalls
. The second one made me so nauseous that I paused the game and nearly fell out of my chair!

The latter.

Seriously gorgeous graphics in that segment.

calder

I would have LOVED to have the jetski up the river be a simple race against the current or something. Trying to find a route up the rapids with some sort of time limit, or even just a tricky river to navigate with visual cues to follow or floating debris to avoid or risk capsizing and drowning, but mainly no enemies shooting you, no barrels floating down the river... that would have been great. As it is the 2 jetski sections were both pretty disappointing imo.

There was something extremely realistic about dying in that level though, the ragdoll slumps as you both hit the water all limp while Elena yells in pain, yikes. :lol

Top Bottom