• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
I've beat the game twice already once on Normal and once on Hard.
Thinking of going a third time through on Crushing.. Should I?

Everybody should play it on Crushing, it's hard though, hard but still doable.
Indifferent2.gif

yes! on crushing the strategy changes up, stuff like ammo management becomes a hell of a lot more important and you have to use your weapons differently (and use weapons you might not have needed to use before) - it's just a great new challenge. and it's never frustrating. when you die, there's always the slight glimmer of hope, a bit of excitement because you can see exactly what you have to do next time

then, when that's done, play it in B-movie mode: black and white filter, flipped world, brightness way down and contrast way up, spanish audio with english subtitles - it's like a new game.

Well a friend of mine has just received a ps3 and he was asking me to suggest games to him. Course I went with Insomniac, but I had to tell him the crown jewel was Uncharted. He replied with "... what really? I thought that game looked stupid, I hadn't heard much about it. Figured it was lame."....

After oxgen returned to my brain, I told him he didn't know what he was missing and demanded he played the demo. He played it, and now plans on buying the game.

Did marketing fail somewhere?

Basch

Byakuya769 said:
Well a friend of mine has just received a ps3 and he was asking me to suggest games to him. Course I went with Insomniac, but I had to tell him the crown jewel was Uncharted. He replied with "... what really? I thought that game looked stupid, I hadn't heard much about it. Figured it was lame."....

After oxgen returned to my brain, I told him he didn't know what he was missing and demanded he played the demo. He played it, and now plans on buying the game.

Yeah. The PS3 can't have good games. At least, that is what every other media outlet is telling me. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Byakuya769 said:

It doesn't help that most media outlets were calling it duderaider, that probably turned some people off.

SRG01

Kittonwy said:
It doesn't help that most media outlets were calling it duderaider, that probably turned some people off.

Don't worry Kittowny. Forgive the reviewers that haven't watched Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I am playing through the game right now and it is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Uncharted totally got the shaft with lower than 9 review scores and non-GOTY nominations.

THIS is how you do a well directed story in an action game; SUPERB artwork and attention to detail. I am in love with Uncharted and extremely hope this turns into a repeating franchise.

Basch

blindrocket said:
I am playing through the game right now and it is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Uncharted totally got the shaft with lower than 9 review scores and non-GOTY nominations.

THIS is how you do a well directed story in an action game; SUPERB artwork and attention to detail. I am in love with Uncharted and extremely hope this turns into a repeating franchise.

Yeah, more 9+ reviews would have been nice, but I don't really stick by reviews. Nor Game of the Year awards. I'm finding that for both video games and movies I can't stand some of the older generation's views. They are not as open to different types of video games/movies as the younger generation. My brother and I were talking about this not long ago. I wonder when some of the newer generation hopefuls will break into the media scene.

I get wet dreams because of Uncharted. Its just too damn sexy. I must sumbit to its fiery passion. Its like a craving; I always go back for more. I discover new things with each playthrough. The pacing is just right too. Its not over too quickly nor lasts too long: that way I can always come back for more. When's it time to call it a night, I cry and wipe my tears. I know we'll be able to do it again soon. :D

TEH-CJ

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It doesn't have sticky aim on the crosshair.
gladtomeetya.gif

ok i thought so :(

damn it!, something went horribly wrong with my ps3 or controllers.

the crosshair gets really heavy when its near an enemy, and its extermely annoying.

hopfully when i get my new ps3 the problem will be fixed.

MercuryLS

Banned
I came here to say that this game is fucking awesome. I love the combat, moving from cover to cover isn't quite as intuitive as in Gears, but it's close. I like how the enemies mix up their tactics, sometimes they try to flank (some blindfire shots in their direction makes them retreat though, which is nice), and whenever they attack you they use different patterns as to not become predictable. Sometimes I'm waiting with the crosshairs on the area in which I expect the enemy will pop out at, and then the motherfucker lies down on his belly and unloads on me :lol

Loudninja

MercuryLS said:
I came here to say that this game is fucking awesome. I love the combat, moving from cover to cover isn't quite as intuitive as in Gears, but it's close. I like how the enemies mix up their tactics, sometimes they try to flank (some blindfire shots in their direction makes them retreat though, which is nice), and whenever they attack you they use different patterns as to not become predictable. Sometimes I'm waiting with the crosshairs on the area in which I expect the enemy will pop out at, and then the motherfucker lies down on his belly and unloads on me :lol

Yeah, thats why the game is AFW

Just moved this to the head of the backlog and started playing.

Very impressive. Definitely Dude Raider at the start . . . but that is a good thing.

I am bothered by the fact that I'm attracted to the female character . . . she's just polygons. But still . . .

Tieno

They just delivered my new 1080p TV and I'm probably going to replay Uncharted. So whats the best: in 720p or 1080i?
(wow @ planet earth)

Loudninja

Tieno said:
They just delivered my new 1080p TV and I'm probably going to replay Uncharted. So whats the best: in 720p or 1080i?
(wow @ planet earth)

People say 1080i on Uncharted has more tearing ,if that bothers you.

Grayman

SRG01 said:
Don't worry Kittowny. Forgive the reviewers that haven't watched Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I would never forgive someone for not watching Raiders.

TEH-CJ said:
Guys....stupid Q here

but did anyone take them a while to notice Uncharted has sticky aim on the crosshair?
uh sure doesn't feel like it does. if anything uncharted is tweaked to make the crosshair aiming difficult and inaccurate to suit drake not being a military man.

mileS

Well I just finished the game on Normal.

Don't know what all the talk about a bad ending was.. for what the games story was I thought it was excellent. No stupid cliffhanger ending (pretty sure its the new trend in videogames) Little hint to a sequel so that made me happy.. please god ND start working on it ASAP. I know some people probably complain that you don't fight the last boss, you just kill his guards a couple times and then go through the action sequence. I really didn't mind that because I can't picture them making you fight one guy with loads of health.. It wouldn't feel right. The game was going for a blockbuster movie feel so having the last boss "fight" any differently would have ruined it IMO

I was just checking out some of the extras after I finished and was quite surprised. They make most games "collectors edition" look pretty terrible, mainly because they aren't charging you $15 extra its just on the normal version of the game. Not to mention the fact they have more content than most collectors editions have. They have plenty of cool videos giving a behind the scenes look at the making of the game, really cool. Tons of pics and artwork/concept art as well.

Naughty Dog rocks!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
My Girlfriend just finished this last night on easy and she only asked for my help once. I am very impressed with not only her for finishing a game, but for being so in love with it that she didn't actually want my help at any point.

Niks

Finished the game on normal a few days ago.
And Ive gotta say this game is beautiful. A little bit short, yes, but really beautiful. The textures on the walls and overall feel of the game is awesome, it really felt like you were on a abandoned tropical island/fort. Naughty Dog really nailed it.

The main characters are likeable. Drake is awesome, and Elena is not your typical bimbo/damsel in distress character. Like others have said, the extras in the game are really great, and every game should have this included as standard. (loved the artwork concepts).

Had a couple of issues, though very minor. Twice through the game I got "stuck on a wall" and then fell to my death where there was no hole. And second (but I think this issue has to do more with my receiver than with the game itself) was playing in full DTS 5.1 surround when suddenly the voice channel would drop completely, had to put it in stereo to hear voice again. Weird, but it only happened a couple of times so no big deal.

Looking forward to Uncharted 2
:)

Baker

Banned
I beat it again on Crushing with a Shock3 last night. Now I can finally play through as Elena.

Even after catching up with all the holiday releases, I still say Uncharted was GOTY '07.

QUick question - my girlfriend wants to play it so I'll probably set it on Easy.

Now - the platforming and puzzles stay the same difficulty right? It's just the enemies correct?

Just beat the game:

First of all, while the story was not particularly original and the characters weren't per say...the whole thing was convincing and immersive, the characters were not confined to their stereotypes, but came across as believeable and likeable. Some of the best VG voice acting ever also helped.

The graphics were very impressive, especially exhibited in the diversity of locales, ND did a fantastic job here.

Gameplay was fun and tactical. Like everybody else the
zombie
section was definitley my least favourite, but on the plus side, it added even more diversity to the game. Again, I was very impressed by how much they packed into this game. It definitely didnt feel short.

Hmpth, now Im not sure what I want ND to work on next...this or Jak. Probably a Jak, but it is bloody close. This series is up there with MGS and FF with series that I keep a very close eye upon.

I finished Uncharted last night and loved nearly every minute of it. Just as soon as the game started to dip for me it picked right back up in the next area. The pacing was excellent and the graphics, story, voice acting, animation are all unmatched. Definitely the best game I have played this generation.

And this engine, wow, what a winner. It makes me want Sony to make another game based on the TV show "24", but this time use the Uncharted engine. The cover mechanics and gunplay would be perfect for Jack!

deepbrown

deepbrown

Any requests of who you'd like to ask questions? Dennis Dyak, Jaffe? :lol Might as well ask.

Everyone seems to like PJM...maybe they could interview Dylan Jobe.

ourumov

Just finished it.

Simply put the best game I've played this gen. A trully masterpiece in all departments and the final twist SIMPLY great. This games deserves a lot more sales than the ones it is going to have. Congrats Naughty Dog!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
ourumov said:
Just finished it.

Simply put the best game I've played this gen. A trully masterpiece in all departments and the final twist SIMPLY great. This games deserves a lot more sales than the ones it is going to have. Congrats Naughty Dog!

Yeah it does deserver more on sales wise and hopefully it will have long legs very long legs.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ourumov said:
Just finished it.

I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :D. Although Amy Hennig's explanation for the missing
kiss
makes sense (IGN interview) I still think I would have liked like a nice
romantic ending
for Uncharted better :p!!!!

Basch said:
Yeah, more 9+ reviews would have been nice, but I don't really stick by reviews. Nor Game of the Year awards. I'm finding that for both video games and movies I can't stand some of the older generation's views. They are not as open to different types of video games/movies as the younger generation. My brother and I were talking about this not long ago. I wonder when some of the newer generation hopefuls will break into the media scene.

What? I'm 36 (is that old enough) and I think uncharted is brillant. GOTG so far.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bearillusion said:
What? I'm 36 (is that old enough) and I think uncharted is brillant. GOTG so far.

We need to get a gif of the old dudes from one of the Beer commercials. They always say Brilliant! I don't know what beer it is.

AKS

Elbrain said:
Yeah it does deserver more on sales wise and hopefully it will have long legs very long legs.

Uncharted has sold well over 1 million worldwide. Most of the sales have been in Europe, more than the US and Japan combined from what I've read. Hopefully holdouts who are waiting for games like MGS4 or the DS3 to be released before they buy a PS3 will also pick up Uncharted.

good game up until the final fight - now get on with a new jak & daxter game because that is the better series.

one main thing i really like about the game are the controls. they are just about perfect and are a benchmark for all future ps3 action games.

i'd like to see a reworked getaway from sony put on psn - do it! :D

Top Bottom