• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
erlim said:
The story was bellow what I was used to seeing in a naughty dog game, but I did feel they did a good job in getting me attached to the characters. I missed the jumping puzzles by the end. Good times though.
Wait, you can't really think story in Crash and J&D games was better than what they have in Uncharted? Characters+Dialogues+Story in this game is on so much higher level than anything ND has ever done IMO.

wouwie

I'm a bit late as i finally got my neogaf account approved.

Anyway, i'm new to the world of consoles (excluding that Atari i bought in a previous life) so i finally decided to go for a PS3 (i was interested in it as media player, especially dvd and blu-ray, and as games console). So far, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank have really impressed me when it comes to console ps3 games. I had never heard about Naughty Dog before but it's already my favourite developer, with Insomniac.

I absolutely loved the graphics, the sound, the controls, the story and cutscenes, the characters, the high production values in general, the combination between shooting/stealth/platform/puzzles all blended together in one game (i admit: this mix is my preferred genre of game) that feels like a real interactive movie at times.

On the negative side, it was a bit short (like: it was so much fun that i would have loved more). The hand-to-hand combat didn't work for me (is there actually a way to block ?) and i hated the plot twist + gamplay change so much that uncharted actually stopped being fun there. This game didn't need this. The jetski levels didn't really add a lot to the game eitherl.

It's obvious how much passion Naughty Dog puts into making games. I really can't wait for the next episode. If i had to make one wish, then i'd hope for mixing shooting and platform more together, instead of platform - big shootout - platform - .... A good example of this is the waterfalls part in level 4 (where you shoot the truck).

All in all, a superb game that i really enjoyed playing.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Awesome, I was just going to bump this thread.

I'm kind of late fellas, and regretfully so. My friend let me borrow his copy of Uncharted after he beat it and of course, I'm blown away. For whatever reason, I had convinced myself that this game would be good, but nothing spectacular. I was wrong. I was also wrong about how long my COD4 addiction would go uninterrupted. There was no way any game anytime soon was going to take me away from the addiction of COD4 multiplayer. Uncharted did.

I simply couldn't put this damn game down. I had honestly expected a cliche ridden treasure hunter story that would take a back seat to insane visuals and action. Wrong again! I couldn't wait to see what happened next and what locations I'd get to explore.

Fucking amazing. Probably the most engaging experiences on the system.

:D

ascii42

Marconelly said:
Wait, you can't really think story in Crash and J&D games was better than what they have in Uncharted? Characters+Dialogues+Story in this game is on so much higher level than anything ND has ever done IMO.
Well, Crash perhaps not, but I felt the story telling in the Jak series was pretty good.

wouwie said:
I'm a bit late as i finally got my neogaf account approved.

Anyway, i'm new to the world of consoles (excluding that Atari i bought in a previous life) so i finally decided to go for a PS3 (i was interested in it as media player, especially dvd and blu-ray, and as games console). So far, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank have really impressed me when it comes to console ps3 games. I had never heard about Naughty Dog before but it's already my favourite developer, with Insomniac.

I absolutely loved the graphics, the sound, the controls, the story and cutscenes, the characters, the high production values in general, the combination between shooting/stealth/platform/puzzles all blended together in one game (i admit: this mix is my preferred genre of game) that feels like a real interactive movie at times.

On the negative side, it was a bit short (like: it was so much fun that i would have loved more). The hand-to-hand combat didn't work for me (is there actually a way to block ?) and i hated the plot twist + gamplay change so much that uncharted actually stopped being fun there. This game didn't need this. The jetski levels didn't really add a lot to the game eitherl.

It's obvious how much passion Naughty Dog puts into making games. I really can't wait for the next episode. If i had to make one wish, then i'd hope for mixing shooting and platform more together, instead of platform - big shootout - platform - .... A good example of this is the waterfalls part in level 4 (where you shoot the truck).

Welcome man glad you liked the game.

Paznos

I've been lurking these boards since November but I've finally been approved :) Uncharted was my GOTY for 2007 I loved everything about it I hope we get Uncharted 2 next year.

belvedere said:
Awesome, I was just going to bump this thread.

I'm kind of late fellas, and regretfully so. My friend let me borrow his copy of Uncharted after he beat it and of course, I'm blown away. For whatever reason, I had convinced myself that this game would be good, but nothing spectacular. I was wrong. I was also wrong about how long my COD4 addiction would go uninterrupted. There was no way any game anytime soon was going to take me away from the addiction of COD4 multiplayer. Uncharted did.

I simply couldn't put this damn game down. I had honestly expected a cliche ridden treasure hunter story that would take a back seat to insane visuals and action. Wrong again! I couldn't wait to see what happened next and what locations I'd get to explore.

Fucking amazing. Probably the most engaging experiences on the system.

:D
Awesome I like reading peoples impressions on this game. :D

Nizz

Ok, so I was just at Target picking up some Advils, and I went and decided to pick up Uncharted. I'm at extremely tight funds *between jobs right now :( * but I had to pick up something new for the PS3, plus get away from fps games for a while. All the love for this game I see/hear really pushed me to pick this up. Plus, listening to Amy Hennig on 1up today, it really came across how story is important to her. Plus from the demo I knew the game was gorgeous and controlled great! Gonna crack it open right now. Will post my impressions...:D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
fps fanatic said:
Ok, so I was just at Target picking up some Advils, and I went and decided to pick up Uncharted. I'm at extremely tight funds *between jobs right now :( * but I had to pick up something new for the PS3, plus get away from fps games for a while. All the love for this game I see/hear really pushed me to pick this up. Plus, listening to Amy Hennig on 1up today, it really came across how story is important to her. Plus from the demo I knew the game was gorgeous and controlled great! Gonna crack it open right now. Will post my impressions...:D
Do it, do it now!

InterMoniker said:
Awesome I like reading peoples impressions on this game. :D
Ditto. I am about 1/5 into another play through. Such a refreshing game. Bless all of our mothers.

Nizz

Haven't gotten far into the game but so far, I love it :D The dialogue between the characters, especially Sully and Nathan, is very well done
I didn't know Sully would bite the bullet so soon in the game :(
The graphics are very nice, some of the prettiest jungles I've seen in a game yet. It's been too long since I've played an adventure game and this game brings back memories of when I first discovered Tomb Raider. Though the control is a lot better. All in all, very nice looking and great playing game. Can't wait to see where the story goes next!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
wouwie said:
Hand to hand combat is very useful at times - remember that combos give you 2x the ammo as well. As for the block, no you can't block. It basically works like this: You run up to the enemy (or sneak behind) and if you're quick and skilled enough, you are rewarded with a quick kill. But if you're too slow to start hitting him, or miss the timing during the combo, you get punished by an enemy melee attack. After that you can run away and shoot, or you can stay there and try the melee attack again.

I loved the twist part and indeed think the game needed something like that (as to better emulate what happens in Indy movies) but there's people who didn't like it, and I hope the game didn't stop being fun for you even after the 'twist' was over and you were back to regular shootouts again at least.

Yeah, that section in area 4 is one of my favorite parts of the game as well :) The platforming, shooting, water effects (even though I liked a small river section earlier in that level even better from a visual/tech standpoint) - it has it all :)

jett

D-Member
This game is AWESOME FUCKING WOWSOME.

Oh man I sure hope ND is good for another adventure. Advice to Naughty Dog though: Your game look kind assy in SD, make sure the next one is displayed properly on SDTVs. :p Or make with the patch!

Zen

Banned
Uncharted looks worse in HD, you can see all of the edges and the clipping a lot more. I don't know what you're on, no offense.

jett

D-Member
Zen said:
Uncharted looks worse in HD, you can see all of the edges and the clipping a lot more. I don't know what you're on, no offense.

I dunno, it looks jittery as hell in SD when the screen's moving. When you're not moving, it looks real good. I don't know what's the issue here, other games like DMC4 and Resistance have nearly perfect image quality on my TV.

newsguy

jett said:

Oh man I sure hope ND is good for another adventure. Advice to Naughty Dog though: Your game look kind assy in SD, make sure the next one is displayed properly on SDTVs. :p Or make with the patch!

You posted about SD in the GTA thread too. You gotta upgrade, not because of you, but the further we get into this gen, the less developers will care about how their titles will look on SDTV's. Early 2009 is the official switch over to all HD and this time it's happening.

jett

D-Member
newsguy said:
You posted about SD in the GTA thread too. You gotta upgrade, not because of you, but the further we get into this gen, the less developers will care about how their titles will look on SDTV's. Early 2009 is the official switch over to all HD and this time it's happening.

nuuuuuu :(

Kittonwy

Banned
jett said:

Yep yep, that's what I've been telling people.
angry.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kittonwy said:
Yep yep, that's what I've been telling people.
angry.gif
:lol

Sidzed2

This is easily the best game on PS3, and I have a feeling that Uncharted 2 could be massive.

If they can deliver on the story front again, then I cannot see what will hold them back. Technologically, they could reuse the same engine and even in a year from now it could still look amazing. I do hope they make some technical improvements though, just to satisfy the audio/visual ho inside of me.

The main thing they need to work on, however, is PACING...

I loved the game, was addicted to the game, but there were some sections where I thought they could have mixed up gunfights with a few more interesting puzzles. It's almost as if they removed puzzles/platofrming sections and tossed in gunfights to save time, or something.

If they can make it a perfect mix, say 55 gunfights/45 puzzles/platforming, then Uncharted 2 will be almost perfect in my eyes.

Mau ®

I just finished this! YAY!

Pretty awesome game! Great story and gameplay. I really liked it!

Hopefully there will be an Uncharted 2!

Things that I want for Uncharted 2:

*Less shooting segments
*More exploration and puzzle solving
*Boss Battles!

I think Uncharted could very well become the next God of War for Sony (as in a big franchise). And remember! God of War 1 was awesome and then GOW2 came and it was OMFG AMAZING!

Uncharted could have the same fate! :D

Majmun

Can't wait for the sequel. One of the few games that made me sad when it ended.

I really REALLY want more.

And yeah, less shooting in the next Uncharted please.

I finished this game awhile back... but it keeps calling to me. I want to go through it again, and again! Not many games make me want to replay them, no matter how much I liked them, but Uncharted seems to be really different. I love it.

I've played through the game twice (hard and crushing), unlocked EVERYTHING and I still want to go back. DMC4 and Warhawk take me away but the game is a masterpiece. Maybe I'll go through it with the world flipped so it feels fresh.

What I find to be so great about this game is the characters' personalities that I haven't seen too often in videogames. Like when Drake tosses the skull to Sully. Instead of putting the focus on this gag, the developers chose for it to be subtle and in the background. It seems human and not scripted. Not sure if you get me.

Mau ®

MoonsaultSlayer said:
What I find to be so great about this game is the characters' personalities that I haven't seen too often in videogames. Like when Drake tosses the skull to Sully. Instead of putting the focus on this gag, the developers chose for it to be subtle and in the background. It seems human and not scripted. Not sure if you get me.

YES! Exactly. There were little touches in the cutscenes that made it seem more like a movie than a game storyline, where usually developers dont leave room for little details.

The characters were quite likeable. I was especially pleased with Nathan, who is not your typical videogame heroe. He is confident but not cocky, he's cool yet can be clumsy as well. I dunno, he just didnt seem forced.

Gowans

so many pages, anyway I just picked up a PS3 and have been playin git, upto chapter four and loving the way the narrative is told in the game throught the cut scences and the in game dialogue it really pulls you in. Will keep out of this thread for fear of late spoilers but if I get stuck I'll see you all again :D

Ceb

jett said:
I dunno, it looks jittery as hell in SD when the screen's moving. When you're not moving, it looks real good. I don't know what's the issue here, other games like DMC4 and Resistance have nearly perfect image quality on my TV.

What do you mean, "jittery"? Shimmering, smearing or what?

The IQ is really pristine on my TV, so I don't know what's up with that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zen said:
Sorry, but no. That's just ridiculous... I have played it for hours on my 42" plasma, and seen it on a nice 24" flat screen SDTV, and there's just no comparison. 2xFSAA the game has is just enough to cover aliasing nicely in 720p, unless maybe you sit close to a 60" screen.

Conclusion: Jett, buy yourself a 42" plasma :D

inthezone said:
Things that I want for Uncharted 2:

*Less shooting segments
*More exploration and puzzle solving
*Boss Battles!

I think the key isn't LESS shooting segments, just MORE exploration and puzzle solving. Enough to extend the game an hour or two.

I loved that temple/submarine stretch of adventuring, I'd like another couple of chapters like that near the middle of Uncharted 2, or just past it.

wouwie

I've been playing it on a 40 inch lcd and it looks amazing, imo. There is some tearing though but that is easily forgiven when everything else is so good.

The most exciting thing: Uncharted 2 could become even better. The potential is there, without a doubt. Reading a bit about development behind this game, Naughty Dog had to put huge resources in building everything up from scratch (code/engine/technology/animations/characters,...) and in getting to grips with the ps3 in general. Which makes it even more amazing that they pulled this off. And this for a first game in a new series. Now that the fundamentals are build, i imagine that for the next game, they will have more time to focus on the game itself.

Personally, for the sequel i would like to see some more animations that give it a sense of a real living world. I still found the world a bit too deserted. Even in the jungle, there is a lot of life.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
finished it. 9 hours and some minutes, worth every penny, loved every minute. great game naughty fog. thanks amy!

So a friend of mine who´s an xbot played the game and liked it. But he told me there are some 2d things in the game like some trees (?)

That true?

Kittonwy

Banned
Insane Metal said:
So a friend of mine who´s an xbot played the game and liked it. But he told me there are some 2d things in the game like some trees (?)

That true?

No.
Indifferent2.gif

Tell your friend to

gtfo.gif

with his lies.

Core407

Banned
Insane Metal said:

That true?

I'd assume the "walls" are all 2d. Also, the tall grass is 2d but it's 2d in all games. :|

Raist

Banned
Insane Metal said:

That true?

Yeah, the textures

lulz

Insane Metal said:
I knew he was lying. Idiot. >_> :lol

no, hes right...in some of the jungle sections, there 2d trees etc, beyond the tree wall in the background....its not really a big deal, though I hope they change taht in the sequel.

Game still looks amazing

Zen

Banned
The gun barrel flash is 4 intersecting 2D images that rotates based on perspective, the grass, and I think the explosions are?

jett said:

I don't know, I've found that simpler looking games tend to look better in HD. With Uncharted I keep noticing all the seams that were hidding in SD, like I can actually see like segmented shading parts in his hair and the shells of it, it's like totally annoying. I've even tried turning down my sharpness to like 25. :lol

I'm kind of frustrated, because I thought it would look BEATUFIUL.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nelsonroyale said:
no, hes right...in some of the jungle sections, there 2d trees etc, beyond the tree wall in the background....its not really a big deal, though I hope they change taht in the sequel.

Game still looks amazing
There are some 2D things in the game indeed but less so than in just about anything I can think of. Trees in particular are some of the most 3D and animated trees I've seen outside of Crysis. You're right however, I've seen what you described in certain parts of the jungle, but it very seldom and unintrusive.

jett

D-Member
Trying it out in Crushing. This is not hard. This is some cheap ass shit. Enemies gain superhuman aim, triple-kevlar and golden guns. The only new AI routine they get is the ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKE ability(which actually turns the enemies into mindless dumbshits). Meh.

Not really fun at all when the only choice you have is to find some decent cover and wait with your gun at the ready for everyone to come rushing down to your position. Or your fists if you're feeling lucky. Running from cover to cover is not really useful as enemies will fucking snipe you from afar with ease, and you'll die from a couple of shots. Sorry but no thanks.

bridegur

I rented the game a few days ago, and I'm about 3/4s the way through. This is easily the best looking game I've ever seen. I was afraid I wouldn't really like it as I thought Gears of War was a bit dull, but the addition of some great platforming and color have made it a lot of fun for me. My biggest complaint is the dialogue, which I've been able to fix by switching the voices to French and adding English subtitles.

Playing Uncharted makes me want:
-a new Jak and Daxter in the style of the original
-PS3 jet ski game (up-river races would be terrific)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Trying it out in Crushing. This is not hard. This is some cheap ass shit. Enemies gain superhuman aim, triple-kevlar and golden guns. The only new AI routine they get is the ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKE ability(which actually turns the enemies into mindless dumbshits). Meh.

Not really fun at all when the only choice you have is to find some decent cover and wait with your gun at the ready for everyone to come rushing down to your position. Or your fists if you're feeling lucky. Running from cover to cover is not really useful as enemies will fucking snipe you from afar with ease, and you'll die from a couple of shots. Sorry but no thanks.
Yeah, Crushing gets cheap in some spots, I finished it just so that I can have all 1000 points and to see if I can finish it, to be honest. The very last level was frustrating in particular. I knew every trick in the book for finishing it (hiding behind metal crates, shooting at Navarro's cover to destroy it) and it was still near impossible. Not completely impossible, but highly unlikely to finish unless you're quite lucky as well as skilled as hell.

I don't think they get any new AI routines btw, they are just a lot more aggressive at flanking or running towards you, which they do on easier difficulties as well, but not nearly as often or as quickly. Regardless of difficulty, whether they'll rush towards you or try to flank you depends on the level design, as well as the type of the enemy. Soldiers seem to be flanking more, pirates seem to be rushing towards you more.

Still, it gives you (forces you) a very different way of playing the game. You need to be a lot more clever in finding good cover, sometimes backtracking to a previous room so that you can channel them through the door etc. Stuff I never even thought about during playing on Hard. They also take one more bullet to die, and using Punch+shoot+punch combo becomes your friend as that's the fastest closeup combo move you have.

All in all there have been approx 4 or 5 spots in the game on Crushing with crazy difficulty spikes during the game where I felt luck was on my side when I finally finished them. Especially the last stage and the two open area fights against mercs.

Still, Doughnut Drake and the Golden gun were worth it in the end. Also, for the ADIOS ASSHOLE, I did it!, moment.

bridegur said:
My biggest complaint is the dialogue, which I've been able to fix by switching the voices to French and adding English subtitles.
It's funny I've been playing that way for maybe half the game on my crushing playthrough, but eventually switched back to English. They did a great job with French VA, but I still like English ones better. I don't know why you didn't like them, it has some of the best VA and dialogue writing around.

Gowans007 said:
so many pages, anyway I just picked up a PS3 and have been playin git, upto chapter four and loving the way the narrative is told in the game throught the cut scences and the in game dialogue it really pulls you in. Will keep out of this thread for fear of late spoilers but if I get stuck I'll see you all again :D
Gowans, now that I can see your avatar, your next PS3 game purchase needs to be SuperStardust HD! Done by the same team that did Stardust on Amiga, and just an amazing game in general :)

jett

D-Member
Yeah I've gotten used to Crushing now, it was so hard at first, especially on Chapter 4. I died so many times there that my current time is now higher than what it took me to finish it the first time. :p The end is near...

Dibbz

I never found crushing to be that difficult tbh. Only really part I got stuck on for a bit was helping
Sully right at the end of the game outside the Church.

Top Bottom