• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Sandman7

Firewire said:
Its rumored another dev is doing the next Jak game, this rumored dev just finished a game for a certain hand held.

Anyways its just rumor's right now.

The rumoured company wouldn't be rumoured to have the words 'Ready' and 'Dawn' in their name, par chance?

Rolf NB

I agree. Finally got the full game this month, and loved it. It's so close to perfect. The segment where you have to ride the boat up the stream was shitty, probably placed onto the master disk by imperial saboteurs. Or something. Otherwise, it did everything right. Moar.

Sorc3r3r

bcn-ron said:
I agree. Finally got the full game this month, and loved it. It's so close to perfect. The segment where you have to ride the boat up the stream was shitty, probably placed onto the master disk by imperial saboteurs. Or something. Otherwise, it did everything right. Moar.

I love to drive the jet sky up stream....
At least is an original idea.
I understand , however, the difficulty of that section: we have to do and to think a lot of thing at the same time, but it is a fair challenge to me and is good to break the pace of the action.

sspeedy

I didn't love the jet ski bit, but like someone just said, it was a really original idea.

Question: I have a samsung lnt4661 tv. I had it set to output at 720p. It improved but I can still notice it. Especially when you're outside... the screen kind of 'stutters'. Like the top half isn't updating. It's like a quick wave. Maybe I'll take footage ha.

Anyone else notice this? Is it the game or the tv? I'm using an hdmi cable.

Matt

sspeedy said:
I didn't love the jet ski bit, but like someone just said, it was a really original idea.

Question: I have a samsung lnt4661 tv. I had it set to output at 720p. It improved but I can still notice it. Especially when you're outside... the screen kind of 'stutters'. Like the top half isn't updating. It's like a quick wave. Maybe I'll take footage ha.

Anyone else notice this? Is it the game or the tv? I'm using an hdmi cable.
It's called tearing. It's the game.

Matt said:

It's a shame too because I think the screen tearing holds the graphics back from getting the attention they deserve. For me, this is the best looking console game this gen by far. It's the only game in the same league as Gears but I give the edge to Uncharted for the amazing environments, unique textures, and water... also, color goes a long way.

Just finished the game, AAA title for sure, just didn't like that on some cutscenes the screen was too dark and IDK just looked weird.

Things they should improve for Uncharted 2
-Co Op online and offline (don't know how they would do that with the story and all but I'm sure they will find a way)
-8-16 MP Online

That's it lol, great game.

Does anyone else feel that ND would make a great horror game?

sspeedy

Matt said:
haha thanks. Duh! It'd happen fairly often esp. in the outside scenes.

I kind of noticed in Culdcept Saga, the beginning cutscene.... which is kind of sad.

Glad to know it's the game. The game's locales were just so beautiful and awesome :D

Maggot9

Banned
im glad this thread gets bumped regularly with good impressions from people who have just checked the game out. it totally deserves it.

Doc Evils

superfly said:
LTTP, but what the hell...AMAZING GAME

Nathan has to be one of the best contemporary protagonists in a videogame.

SUPERB!

agreed.

momolicious said:
I hope this game is a success for naughty dog, did it sell millions worldwide yet?

Threespeech confirmed it sold a million.

Sorc3r3r said:
I love to drive the jet sky up stream....
At least is an original idea.
I understand , however, the difficulty of that section: we have to do and to think a lot of thing at the same time, but it is a fair challenge to me and is good to break the pace of the action.

This part isn't as hard as people think. Just cruise on by the enemies while mashing the fire button. Don't worry about stopping to aim. Just tapping the fire button auto locks on barrels and enemies as you fly by.

Provider

I think I'm in love.
I've completed the game 3 times (I'm half way through the 4th on crushing mode).
I don't think I had ever felt like re-playing a game so soon after finishing it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Provider said:
I think I'm in love.
I've completed the game 3 times (I'm half way through the 4th on crushing mode).
I don't think I had ever felt like re-playing a game so soon after finishing it.

Uncharted is by far the smoothest replay experience I've had.
Indifferent2.gif

andycapps

Provider said:
I think I'm in love.

That was true of myself. I finished the game the first time and immediately started replaying it. I haven't finished it the second time through, but I have too many other games that I've never finished. For me to even finish Uncharted says a lot. :D

Joe211

I've finally found time to beat the game and just one word excellent I mean it's the most beautiful game on console the story is good and the gameplay is solid.
I have to find all the treasures and it'll be 100% complete.

antiloop

AranhaHunter said:
Things they should improve for Uncharted 2
-Co Op online and offline (don't know how they would do that with the story and all but I'm sure they will find a way)
-8-16 MP Online

I don't know how but they could do it. :D

-viper-

Banned
Ok so I just played Uncharted for the first time.

And I have to say WOW.

Fucking awesome. The graphics are sublime. This is EASILY the best looking console game out. Nothing comes close. The level design and art direction is fantastic aswell. I was shocked to see how good the graphics were. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's like this game has 4xAA aswell, and is way too smooth to be true.

The gameplay is well paced, storyline keeps you entertained and its a pretty well made game. The controls are fantastic aswell.

I love how precise and easy the aiming of the PS3 controller is, compared with the PS2 controller. I've noticed the x-hair moves very smoothly in PS3 games compared to PS2 shooters.

In the sequel they should include multiplayer. It's a shooter, so it will work. Split-screen deathmatch should also be an option.

-viper- said:
In the sequel they should include multiplayer.

i hear this a lot, but really, the game's value is so embedded in its narrative and cinematic flare that i don't see it working. the combat is exciting because of the fantastically choreographed set-pieces and charismatic enemy ai much more than the strength of the engine itself. i could maybe see co-op working with elena but i wouldn't push for it. i like the way naughty dog themselves described it - what's wrong with pulling down the curtains, turning up the stereo and enjoying a cinematic experience by yourself once in a while?

if these guys don't keep bringing that kind of game i can't imagine who will

Kittonwy

Banned
I could see maybe co-op for the next game but MP? For a game like this, MP is kind of an afterthought, especially with so many quality MP shooters out there, there's no reason to have the feature for the sake of just having that bullet-point.

justjohn

yeah, i would rather they concentrated 100% on single player. there's far too much emphasis on multiplayer this generation, even for games that dont need it. and this one certainly doesnt need it.

Pistolero

-8-16 MP Online

How about including those things when they make sense. Serisouly, some games are meant to be single player experiences...

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
I could see maybe co-op for the next game but MP? For a game like this, MP is kind of an afterthought, especially with so many quality MP shooters out there, there's no reason to have the feature for the sake of just having that bullet-point.
Oui. I want to see them concentrating on new gameplay mechanics and an improved animation system. eg. even more fluid animation, and more fluid water

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think multiplayer would fit quite well. It'd be like a new Syphon Filter... that shit was fun as hell playing against friends.

I think Naughty Dog is a good enough developer that they could do some multiplayer and it wouldn't hurt the single player stuff. Some of you guys need to give them a bit more credit than that.

Provider

deepbrown said:
Oui. I want to see them concentrating on new gameplay mechanics and an improved animation system. eg. even more fluid animation, and more fluid water

Talking about animations, watch Nate when he's climbing up that rope to the plane, there's absolutely no animation when you don't move the controller. The rope doesn't move, Nate doesn't breathe or anything. I found it to be weird since the game has all kinds of animations.

Gigglepoo

I smile whenever I think of this game. As soon as I get an HDTV (and maybe a Dual Shock 3), I'm going to replay it. Just a shocking first effort. It usually takes a sequel or two before a franchise becomes as fun and focused as Uncharted was.

Timbuktu

I'm going to replay this on crushing. Just how steep a jump is it from hard? I'm guessing that the difficulty levels only applies to the shooting elements.

Kittonwy

Banned
Timbuktu said:
I'm going to replay this on crushing. Just how steep a jump is it from hard? I'm guessing that the difficulty levels only applies to the shooting elements.

Basically you can take fewer shots before you die (3 I think), so it means you'll have to stay in cover longer, which gives enemies more time to try to outflank you, enemies still die the same way and by the same number of shots, they still die by headshots.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The only reason I didn't replay the game on crushing is because I didn't want to have to deal w/ the vehicle sections.

I barely made it through them the first time...

itxaka

Defeatist
Just got uncharted for my 2 day old ps3 and it´s awesome, a bit too much figths in my opinion and Nathan has little life but the game is awesome!!

-viper-

Banned
The cutscenes and dialogue in the game are superb.

I love it. I can see myself replaying this game a few times even though I'm only on Chapter 3.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I just started playing it and really enjoyed it so far, I find myself wanting a tad more exploring and adventure over shooting though. The shooting annoys me a little, it seems the enemies are stupidly strong and I'm only playing on normal. It seems the headshot detection is a bit off cos I'm sure I sometimes hit them in the head and they don't go down. and like sometimes it takes like 20 ak47 shots before they go down? wtf?

I hope the sequel makes the shooting a little more sophisticated, it resembles something like Goldeneye 64 right now, enemies can take loads of bullets to the chest or neck or what you thought was the head before they go down. They all enter the same dodging animation depsite having 4 bullets in their leg or hip. You should be able to demobilise them by shooting their foot or arm! I also always find myself trying to crouch like in gears of war, that would be nice.

Some amazing vistas, I really enjoy the dialogue and voice acting for once and although the faces look weird the facial animations really add to the cut scenes. I'm very glad the game is as linear as could be as it would be very frustrating to not know which way to go, get lost or backtrack cos you want to explore every nook and cranny. Not to mention enemies coming from all directions.

I wonder why they didnt use more sixaxis functions. When they make you tap triangle or move the analogue in a circle - they could have used the sixaxis to good affect there. Balance or grenade lobbing are pretty poor implementations otherwise imo.

Timbuktu said:
I felt like Hard was the sweet spot for a challenging difficulty. I played Crushing for a while, and then told it to fuck off.

-viper-

Banned
kaizoku said:
I just started playing it and really enjoyed it so far, I find myself wanting a tad more exploring and adventure over shooting though. The shooting annoys me a little, it seems the enemies are stupidly strong and I'm only playing on normal. It seems the headshot detection is a bit off cos I'm sure I sometimes hit them in the head and they don't go down. and like sometimes it takes like 20 ak47 shots before they go down? wtf?
Really? Not sure whether this applies later on during the game, but its 3 hits and they're down, with the pistol that is.

Gowans

just finished the game.

Took a break at Chapt 18 for about 4 weeks then came back.

Man the last halfs a grind, got sick of the encounters all the time and the last boss part chapt 23 blows!

Apart from that the game is great, characters, narative is supurb. It looks and plays beutifuly but the encounter after encounter blows as does the QTE's

Top Bottom