• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

zam

Bought a 40gb PS3 with Ratchet and Uncharted this week and zomg wow Uncharted is awesome, best looking game I've ever played.

My only gripe with the game is all the shooting, the game is at it's best when exploring and jumping and climbing around the ruins, the only thing that keeps me going through the shootout parts is the knowledge that after it I'll be platforming again.

Coop

zam said:
Bought a 40gb PS3 with Ratchet and Uncharted this week and zomg wow Uncharted is awesome, best looking game I've ever played.

My only gripe with the game is all the shooting, the game is at it's best when exploring and jumping and climbing around the ruins, the only thing that keeps me going through the shootout parts is the knowledge that after it I'll be platforming again.

That's my main complaint about the game too, it really becomes a pure shooter near half way through the game. Hopefully Uncharted 2 will have more puzzles(harder) and more exploring.

Coop said:
That's my main complaint about the game too, it really becomes a pure shooter near half way through the game. Hopefully Uncharted 2 will have more puzzles(harder) and more exploring.

it can feel like this at first but when you're playing it over again for the second or third time the platforming seems to drag and you just want to get into another stylin' shootout. i think it was balanced well - enough exploration there that at first it feels full of adventure, but not so much that afterwards you're forced to wander alone through environments you've seen many times

the game's replayability is one of its greatest strengths, especially considering the type of game it is - i think nd did a good job

Got Uncharted yesterday and finished it today.

The animation in this game is just ridiculous. I mean that in a very good way.

The whole thing with the Zombies was kind of retarded. Fighting them wasn't fun either. It sort of reminded me of fighting The Flood.

I also had a bit of a problem with how many bullets it sometimes took to kill a guy. I'm pretty sure that seven AK-47 bullets should kill a person.

All in all, it was a great game. I can't wait for the sequel.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have to ask, for those of you who didn't like that part in the game, would you prefer Uncharted sequel to not have any kind of
supernatural aspect
to it, or just that it's handled differently or what? I think it would seriously suck for a game like this to not have such a twist to it.

Coop said:
That's my main complaint about the game too, it really becomes a pure shooter near half way through the game.
There's a pretty long stretch of platforming level later on in the game though. Remember the big room with the swaying fire holders and other stuff? That was actually the most demanding platforming level in the game probably.

DubloSeven said:
I also had a bit of a problem with how many bullets it sometimes took to kill a guy. I'm pretty sure that seven AK-47 bullets should kill a person.
I thought the reason they made AK47 underpowered was obvious from the gameplay perspective. That gun has huge number of bullets, and if it would kill enemies with 2-3 shots, you'd never get into situation to need any other weapon or to run out of bullets. You're expected to use burst fire with that gun, that way you spend its bullets quicker, but you also kill enemies quicker than with regular pistol. Of course, you can still kill them with one shot, with a headshot.

Sandman7

Marconelly said:
I have to ask, for those of you who didn't like that part in the game, would you prefer Uncharted sequel to not have any kind of
supernatural aspect
to it, or just that it's handled differently or what? I think it would seriously suck for a game like this to not have such a twist to it.

I finished Uncharted a week ago and there isn't much praise I can give that hasn't been given already.

About the
supernatural aspect, I liked it from a story point of view. It reminded me of The Mummy which I think is a really enjoyable movie.

For the sequel, take it to Egypt, Atlantis, Easter Island - there are so many ancient mysterious/mythical places to go to.

tha_con

Banned
I'd love to see the sequel take place in Alaska, deal with some cool Native American back stories and rituals.

Or, as someone said, Egypt would be cool. The only reason I wouldn't like that, is we've seen it before. I want to see Uncharted actually go to an area that's 'uncharted' as far as movies / videogames for the 'treasure hunter' genre.

The biggest factor is finding an area that has a lot of history behind it, but isn't extremely populated. We've already seen a jungle setting, and while I loved it, I'd go nuts to see some icy plains, ever greens, caves, and some ancient ruins from generations of the past (you know, when alaska wasn't so cold). Or even the ruins of a civilization that lived in a mountain or something, who knows, go batshit crazy.

Lain

Joining in really late, but finally bought Uncharted today (tho it was an used copy and the only copy at the store, but I can't complain since it was 40€ vs 70€ for a new copy).
Haven't played much, but I'm having alot of fun with it and it looks so good. At least when the screen doesn't move. Boy is the tearing annoying for me. The first thing that happened when Nathan and the other dude entered the jungle was some nice screen tearing that made me cry.

Awntawn

DubloSeven said:
The whole thing with the Zombies was kind of retarded. Fighting them wasn't fun either. It sort of reminded me of fighting The Flood.
lol, you say that as if it were one of the worse aspects of that game XD

i didn't like the flood either ;/

Kittonwy

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
wonderful to hear people are still picking up this classic :D

UNCHARTED is AFW, every PS3 owner should own this game.
angry.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kittonwy said:
UNCHARTED is AFW, every PS3 owner should own this game.
angry.gif
This and Ratchet :D

tha_con

Banned
Lain said:
Joining in really late, but finally bought Uncharted today (tho it was an used copy and the only copy at the store, but I can't complain since it was 40€ vs 70€ for a new copy).
Haven't played much, but I'm having alot of fun with it and it looks so good. At least when the screen doesn't move. Boy is the tearing annoying for me. The first thing that happened when Nathan and the other dude entered the jungle was some nice screen tearing that made me cry.

I'll never understand this type of personality.

Lain said:
The first few levels are the worst for tearing; after them, it visibly reduces. Not sure why--the later levels look just as good or better--but performance definitely improves.

Esperado

Man, the Mirror World and Flip World options really help the replay value, and the rewards give you an even greater incentive for multiple playthroughs. There needs to be more games that do things like this, makes the single player campaign a lot more viable. I hope they make Uncharted 2 and do two player Co-Op though. It seems like it was at least on the drawing board, seeing how you almost always have an extra body with you. I'm gonna take a break for a few weeks from this game, but when I come back I'm finally gonna finish it on Crushing with Flip world turned on. Good work, Naughty Dog.

Lain

tha_con said:
I'll never understand this type of personality.

I'm not following. What does that mean/have to do with what I posted.
Is it because I had to get an used copy?
Because I'm finding the game fun and pretty?
Or because I was annoyed by the tearing?
Even tho not sure what my personality has to do with any of them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Kittonwy said:
UNCHARTED is AFW, every PS3 owner should own this game.<retarded emote deleted>

I only pay $60 for Ninja Gaiden games. Also, your endorsement is a strong argument against buying it, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

TAJ said:
I only pay $60 for Ninja Gaiden games. Also, your endorsement is a strong argument against buying it, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.
He's right about Uncharted, though. It's one of the best games I played last year.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
andrewfee said:
And I'll never understand how the screen splitting in two arbitrarily isn't a major issue for some people.
Oh andrew.

knee

Just finished it yesterday and it's the best game I've played in a long, long time.

I have so many games that are partially finished, but for some reason I couldn't stop playing this one. :D :D

OMG!!!

Just got the game (borrowed from a friend of a friend :lol) and although I´ve seen a lot of HD gameplay videos they don´t give any idea of HOW FUCKING GREAT this game is, Jesus Christ, I´m still horny for it :lol

I´m at chapter 7, and I think this is one of the best games I´ve ever played. Not only the graphics are great and a huge technical achievement, but the art direction is all sorts of awesome :D

The gameplay mechanics work perfectly and the animation is top notch. Played it 4 hours straight yesterday, got 4 medals for headshots already :D :D :D

Man, I REALLY want Uncharted 2!! :D :D :D

Dyno

When all is said and done I think Uncharted is the classiest game I've played in ages. When non-gamers come around the house and say "so show me what kinds of games you're playing" I pop in Uncharted and let them go through the first fifteen minutes.

They can't believe it.

FirewalkR

The latest issue of Game Developer has an Uncharted post-mortem, here's a few interesting quotes:

As we’d done for previous Naughty Dog projects, we used multiple rendering engines at once, which we wrote specially to handle different parts of the game world. Two of the major systems rendered our geometry and a third did water, while other renderers took care of particles, decals, and the HUD. All of these were very heavily optimized for the PlayStation 3 hardware, using the console’s SPUs in some cases to supercharge the RSX graphics processor.
Our water shader not only uses the same basic reflection and refraction techniques as other games, but uniquely models water flow effectively. Color is computed not from textures but by using optical and physical principles, some based on water depth, which helps give our water a very realistic look. We did all of our water effects—foam, water bubbles from churn, and silt—in the shader, which also helped our water “sell.”

...we set our goals too high, and had to bring ourselves down to earth in order to be able to move forward. For example, we had wanted to use a system of interchangeable body and clothing parts for our enemies in order to get a huge apparent variety of enemies and reinforce the reality of the world. We wanted the player to have the feeling that each enemy character was unique.
The problem was that this held up our whole enemy implementation process. We couldn’t start finalizing the enemies until we finally realized we didn’t have time to create our parts system, and simply got on with making the enemies that are in the shipped game.

We kept tweaking the enemy designs as we developed the game, and stylized them a bit with some success. In the end we felt that we could have pushed their visual design even more, as some players still had trouble distinguishing between some of the different classes, and we’ll continue to explore this issue on our next project.

anddo0

I'm finally on my second play-through after beating the game on hard.

Crushing is living up to its name:lol I've died at least 5x in each section so far.
I like it though, it adds some high tension to the game.

Aurelius

Finished it during the weekend. Terrific game, really gave me the feeling of "playing" a movie! Was worth the purchase of a PS3. :)

2real4tv

FirewalkR said:
The latest issue of Game Developer has an Uncharted post-mortem, here's a few interesting quotes:

good find...they've been so secretive about there next project I wonder what will it be...hopefully we will hear something @ E3

Kittonwy

Banned
2real4tv said:
good find...they've been so secretive about there next project I wonder what will it be...hopefully we will hear something @ E3

My guess would be they're working on Uncharted 2, Lemarchand is now Game Director and Amy is now Creative Director.
Indifferent2.gif

I've been playing back through the game again. This time, trying to get past Crushing. Boy, it's hard. I'm at Chapter 8, and I'm seriously thinking about dialing it back down to Hard, just so I can get my skills back again, and then re-trying on Crushing.

Even though this is like the seventh or eighth time I've played through the game since it's release, this game holds up so much better than most games I've played in the past few years and gone back to later. The last game I came back to like this after some months had past was Heavenly Sword, and even though I thought that game held up remarkably well from a gameplay perspective, (I liked the controversial "stylized, wushu-inspired" combat system) a did notice a lot of the minor graphical flaws in the cutscenes and stuff that I didn't notice when the game was new.

Now I know why. Uncharted totally spoiled me in terms of polish that every other game, even a pretty one like Heavenly Sword, just has a hard time keeping up. Playing this game through again, you notice so much more in terms of beauty and graphical detail--things you may have glossed over the first few play throughs--that the game really delivers again and again. The quiet moments in the game between attacks are just stunning sometimes. Clouds of gently floating, blowing leaves carried by the breeze under a waterfall, the occasional toucan or monkey or other jungle animal, the water (and the way your enemies dead bodies float on that water when you kill them) all blow me away.

Now, I just need to get good enough again to get through Crushing. I want that medal, but these guys are killers.

Goldrusher

I do hope the next game isn't censored on Japanese systems. Why is there parental lock in like a million different levels, when it's not used ?

No blood made the shooting considerably harder. And you only got English and Japanese languages for both menu/subs and audio. Even though the disc has French, German, Spanish, etc. on it as well. Never understood why they blocked the other languages...

But yeah, it can't be said enough that it was a great game. Perfect controls, a nice story, great storytelling, beautiful locations, so much attention to detail, great direction, perfect camera angles, amazing atmosphere, etc.
Some say the monsters were too much, but don't most adventure movies have some kind of supernatural power or strange creatures ? Indiana Jones did.

As for the sequel...

- no more censorship please, there's no reason not to have blood in Uncharted, seeing how other games can have gallons in one level
- no more tearing, which kind of ruined some of the views, especially the ones near water falls...I know there's a tearing defense force in here, but yeah, try to fix that or add some kind of optional vertical sync
- speaking of optional, let us turn off that camera turning motion blur

jepjepjep

I kinda wish I hadn't sold off my copy of Uncharted. I got really annoyed and discouraged near the end when
it turned into a generic zombie shooter
and turned it off.

Hopefully the moustaches at Sony will get off their asses and release a Greatest Hits lineup with Uncharted for $20-30.

jepjepjep said:
I kinda wish I hadn't sold off my copy of Uncharted. I got really annoyed and discouraged near the end when
it turned into a generic zombie shooter
and turned it off.

Huh? It was never
generic. The parts where you have to fight both the zombies and the SWAT guys, while the SWAT guys are having to fight the zombies and you, while the zombies are just trying to kill everyone, were AWESOME.

Sounds like you jumped to conclusions and made a really, really stupid mistake to me...

Also, the overuse and misuse of the word
"GENERIC"
has truly become annoying on GAF. I wish it was bannable or censored. If people are so limited in their vocabulary that they have to use it, f*** them.

Pimpwerx

Pristine_Condition said:
I've been playing back through the game again. This time, trying to get past Crushing. Boy, it's hard. I'm at Chapter 8, and I'm seriously thinking about dialing it back down to Hard, just so I can get my skills back again, and then re-trying on Crushing.

Even though this is like the seventh or eighth time I've played through the game since it's release, this game holds up so much better than most games I've played in the past few years and gone back to later. The last game I came back to like this after some months had past was Heavenly Sword, and even though I thought that game held up remarkably well from a gameplay perspective, (I liked the controversial "stylized, wushu-inspired" combat system) a did notice a lot of the minor graphical flaws in the cutscenes and stuff that I didn't notice when the game was new.

Now I know why. Uncharted totally spoiled me in terms of polish that every other game, even a pretty one like Heavenly Sword, just has a hard time keeping up. Playing this game through again, you notice so much more in terms of beauty and graphical detail--things you may have glossed over the first few play throughs--that the game really delivers again and again. The quiet moments in the game between attacks are just stunning sometimes. Clouds of gently floating, blowing leaves carried by the breeze under a waterfall, the occasional toucan or monkey or other jungle animal, the water (and the way your enemies dead bodies float on that water when you kill them) all blow me away.

Now, I just need to get good enough again to get through Crushing. I want that medal, but these guys are killers.
That's all I have left to do is beat it on Crushing. I still haven't though. I don't know when I will either. I've still yet to put any real time into Folklore, and I want to keep that from becoming like Eternal Darkness. I owned that game for the life of my GC and only put in about an hour or two of playtime.

I forget where I left off in my Crushing playthrough, but I think I'd finally made it past the frustrating crash site encounter. On Crushing, that stage is downright evil. Blindfire, blind 'nade tosses, desperate sprints from destroyed cover....I have never and will never play this game on Easy. :D PEACE.

Goldrusher said:
I do hope the next game isn't censored on Japanese systems. Why is there parental lock in like a million different levels, when it's not used ?

No blood made the shooting considerably harder. And you only got English and Japanese languages for both menu/subs and audio. Even though the disc has French, German, Spanish, etc. on it as well. Never understood why they blocked the other languages...

No blood is no big deal in Uncharted, IMO. I have only played the NA version, WITH the blood, and I can tell you, you hardly ever see much of it. The very expressive animation cues coming from your enemies when you hit them are awesome, and that's where you get most of the satisfying impact of hitting your enemies, not the blood effect.

In harder difficulties, where you have to take out enemies at longer ranges, you really don't see much blood. It's all about the animation for the most part, unless you have to shotgun someone at close range. Also, as I'm playing it through on Crushing now, you really are shooting so quickly and moving from one kill to the next that it doesn't register with me that much at all.

I could have played this game without blood at all, and I doubt I would have missed it unless someone pointed it out to me.

My two main gameplay wishes for the next game would be:

-a "quick zoom" ability with the AK, for taking enemies out at a distance, like you've got with the carbine in Resistance, (but hopefully not using the R3 like Resistance).

-MORE MAGNUM PICK-UPS. No weapon was more satisfying that that pistol. I want MOAR!!!

Mamesj

Banned
Probably not the most unbiased thread to ask this in, but help me gaf:

Uncharted or Ratchet?

Replayability isn't really a factor. Both seem awesome and I will play them both eventually, but what should be next? How long is each game?

Pimpwerx said:
That's all I have left to do is beat it on Crushing. I still haven't though. I don't know when I will either. I've still yet to put any real time into Folklore, and I want to keep that from becoming like Eternal Darkness. I owned that game for the life of my GC and only put in about an hour or two of playtime.

I forget where I left off in my Crushing playthrough, but I think I'd finally made it past the frustrating crash site encounter. On Crushing, that stage is downright evil. Blindfire, blind 'nade tosses, desperate sprints from destroyed cover....I have never and will never play this game on Easy. :D PEACE.

Yeah, the crash site was tough, and so was the area after that, just before the Fortress climbing scene,
in the field with all the tripwires that trigger the swinging spike booby traps.
Just waves and waves of dudes there, and you really have to make aggressive charges to pick up ammo, or you'll run out, which is NOT easy to do in Crushing.

That's one of the cool things about Uncharted. Most games, when you play through the first few times, you can kinda blaze through, and don't have to learn much defense until you get to the most difficult mode. The most difficult mode in most games is where you have to really learn to block or dodge or use cover, ect. You get into that higher difficulty mode with most games and think "OK, I'm going to have to learn how to play defense now..."

Not in Uncharted. If you go into this game with that "defensive mentality" that works in most games' most-difficult mode, YOU WILL DIE. Uncharted flips the plot, and forces you to learn the crazy run-and gun techniques instead to conquer Crushing. Being defensive fails here, as enemies flank like crazy, and you will run out of ammo unless you go out and aggressively capture an ammo drop. It's a neat change of pace to most games.

Mamesj said:
Probably not the most unbiased thread to ask this in, but help me gaf:

Uncharted or Ratchet?

Replayability isn't really a factor. Both seem awesome and I will play them both eventually, but what should be next? How long is each game?

I'm a huge fan of Insomniac and Ratchet, but even I will say Uncharted first.

The only reason I would recommend Ratchet over Uncharted would be if you have kids.

You must eventually get both though. (Good call for you to know that already.) They're both top-notch.

andrewfee said:
I can't remember how long it took me the first time, but Uncharted certainly felt longer, and unlike Ratchet I found it had a lot of replayability. I know that's not a factor for you, but I found that Ratchet, while a good game, only really made me want to go through it once, whereas I went through Uncharted 3x to get all the achievements.

I would have liked the option to simply take off my armor in Ratchet for subsequent play-throughs. That option would have helped the me craft the difficulty more to my liking. Either that, or provide a genuine super-mega-hard "badass Lombaxes only" mode. Hopefully this will come in the sequel.

jepjepjep

Pristine_Condition said:
Huh? It was never
generic. The parts where you have to fight both the zombies and the SWAT guys, while the SWAT guys are having to fight the zombies and you, while the zombies are just trying to kill everyone, were AWESOME.

Sounds like you jumped to conclusions and made a really, really stupid mistake to me...

By
generic
, I mean that
it felt like I was playing Doom 3 or one of its clones. The monsters in Uncharted are very similar to the Imps that come up to claw you in Doom 3

Pristine_Condition said:
Also, the overuse and misuse of the word
"GENERIC"
has truly become annoying on GAF. I wish it was bannable or censored. If people are so limited in their vocabulary that they have to use it, f*** them.

Generic: characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific
. That's the definition and it fits the context in which it was used. So if "people" have a problem with my use of the word "
generic
", f*** them.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah, the crash site was tough, and so was the area after that, just before the Fortress climbing scene, in the field with all the tripwires that trigger the swinging spike booby traps. Just waves and waves of dudes there, and you really have to make aggressive charges to pick up ammo, or you'll run out, which is NOT easy to do in Crushing.

That's one of the cool things about Uncharted. Most games, when you play through the first few times, you can kinda blaze through, and don't have to learn much defense until you get to the most difficult mode. The most difficult mode in most games is where you have to really learn to block or dodge or use cover, ect. You get into that higher difficulty mode with most games and think "OK, I'm going to have to learn how to play defense now..."

Not in Uncharted. If you go into this game with that "defensive mentality" that works in most games' most-difficult mode, YOU WILL DIE. Uncharted flips the plot, and forces you to learn the crazy run-and gun techniques instead to conquer Crushing. Being defensive fails here, as enemies flank like crazy, and you will run out of ammo unless you go out and aggressively capture an ammo drop. It's a neat change of pace to most games.

I toldja guyz Uncharted on crushing is AFW RAWR!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:

Crushing is teh best way to play Uncharted.
angry.gif

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sorry for the silly question guys but does Uncharted support the DS3 with rumble?

Top Bottom