• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Azsori

In either case what Edge thinks, we will see how correct they are tomorrow. The demo is supposed to be ~20 mins and should include platforming and shooting. No need to get worked up over their preview now, let's get worked up tomorrow :D .

Between this thread and the Super Mario Galaxy thread, there are an awful lot of people calling for high reviews of a game they never played. I didn't realize how prevalent this phenomenon was until now.

TheRagnCajun said:
So are we getting worked up over previews now?

EDGE always do their own thing, and I try to accept that but "is it innovative enough" talk compounded with "unimpressive animation" just makes me roll my eyes so much.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Green Shinobi said:
there are an awful lot of people calling for high reviews of a game they never played.
I think the greater calling here is for reviewers to stop employing specious arguments to justify their desire to score a game lower.

Forsete

oo Kosma oo said:
Make an US account like everybody else!

I have one.. I just want to know if I should plan on staying up, the US store is usually updated around 23:00-00:00, and I work all week so.. I would rather not stay up, but for Uncharted.. its hard to resist. :D

Mesijs

Hey GAF'ers, wanted to give you a heads-up about my take on the EDGE preview. I played the preview version of Uncharted extensively and I'm now playing the review version.

The preview contains some untrue statements. Not a matter of taste, but just untrue things.

The Tomb Raider comparisons are warranted: the game alternates between combat sections where Drake (and sometimes a companion) faces up to a flow of tooled-up mercenaries, and environmental puzzles that range from opening a door to finding your way up a big wall. The latter elements can seem something of a throwback, with the main examples shown thus far involving rotating statues and pulling levers to raise water levels, although they at least provide some sedentary and none-too-challenging moments away from the gun fighting (and one illustrates a neat movement between shifting items and checking Drake’s journal, which seems to hold solutions that aren’t obvious from the game setup). The only worry is that, like some locations on show, they may be badly signposted. Some areas look like they should be accessible but simply aren’t, so you’ll find yourself running up dead alleys and around the same space searching for an entrance you’ve missed that’s hidden in a wall.

I want to say to you that this is plain, 100% bullshit, almost all of it written. I couldn't even think that a quality magazine like Edfe would come up with this.

There is ONE real puzzle in the game until now (I'm at 65% I think) and that's the one they are coming up with. There's no really 'puzzling' in the rest of the game, unless you consider platforming to certain not-immediately-obvious points or opening doors puzzling...

They give a wrong impression of the game, and I mean really wrong. The game IS NOT Tomb Raider, dammit. First, there's no real puzzling and second, the combat is 100% different. It really feels like a totally different kind of game.

And calling any point in the game 'badly signposted' is truly ridicolous. I'm serious, I did not have one problem at all about where I had to go in the entire game until now. They just talk bullshit, and I'm getting irritated aout it.

The combat is accomplished in certain respects, but can feel a little clumsy. It’s from the cover-and-fire school of videogames, and alternates between tense standoffs with one or two enemies and large onslaughts from groups. Moving from cover to cover and ducking out to fire is relatively smooth (though will hopefully be tweaked in the remainder of development to remove scenery sticking points). The enemies have a tendency to dance from your bullets, and don’t seem like the most intelligent of foes, but they’re good shots and will quickly take you down in the open. Your partner, on the other hands, hangs back and takes potshots but can prove a little useless.

It doesn't feel clumsy. :lol The enemies are quit smart. They do flank you, they do take cover and react on your movement. There's no scripting involved in the AI and it feels believable and dynamic at all times.

And they do not dance from your bullets, but they dodge, take cover and take different positions so you can't kill them by just keeping your gun pointed at one point... which is great.

My partner did kill quite some enemies and she doesn't hang back at all. She walks behind you, but in combat she will search cover and shoot at enemies, and will kill them.

Less impressive is the animation, which isn’t as fluid (or easy to control) as had previously been suggested: making leaps can be fiddly at times, and it’s possible to feel little kinetic connection to the scenery.

This is the biggest bullshit you could ever say about the game. Let's say it's just 100% opposite, and I'm very serious about that.

But is it innovative enough? If nothing else, it needs a little tightening up of the fundamentals to be really accomplished, and worthy of those comparisons to Ms Croft.

What? Why does the guy even start about innovation? And the last sentence is just plain retarded. I don't even want to talk about it anymore, it's absurd.

So, these are my thoughts after playing the same preview version as Edge and also the review version. This kind of articles frustrate me a lot.

Firewire

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Between this thread and the Super Mario Galaxy thread, there are an awful lot of people calling for high reviews of a game they never played. I didn't realize how prevalent this phenomenon was until now.

It really isn't about scores, if a site wants to give a lower than expected score, give us valid reasons for it. Not like Gamespot with R&C giving it a score of 7.5 because the game has "to much variety" That just smells of b.s.

Tieno

Firewire said:
It really isn't about scores, if a site wants to give a lower than expected score, give us valid reasons for it. Not like Gamespot with R&C giving it a score of 7.5 because the game has "to much variety" That just smells of b.s.
It really is about scores, with people predicting scores of the different websites. It ruins pretty much any official thread for the time being. It annoys me to no end.

Tieno said:
It really is about scores, with people predicting scores of the different websites. It ruins pretty much any official thread for the time being. It annoys me to no end.
As Sales-Age fades into the abyss, a new challenger approaches:

ReviewScore-Age.

Omeyocan

Yeah the fact that there is no real puzzling until the middle of the game saddens me a bit too.

Mesijs can you elaborate more on that without spoiling. Thanks.

Loudninja

Omeyocan said:
Yeah the fact that there is no real puzzling until the middle of the game saddens me a bit too.

Well you could consider some thing puzzles :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Too bad about the apparent lack of puzzles :( Can't have 'em all I guess. But why do you have that notebook/diary then, if not to solve puzzles?

Loudninja said:
Well you could consider some thing puzzles :p
That's true. Enemy encounters that play out creatively can be a puzzle in itself. I hope the game really plays on it's strength of being able to run+climb anywhere, to reach some strategic spot, while fighting your way through

Mesijs said:
The preview contains some untrue statements. Not a matter of taste, but just untrue things.
As I said earlier, for a publication that's supposed to be elitist, objective and 'definitive', they do that far too often.

Mesijs

Omeyocan said:

There's the one thing they are mentioning with pressing the right things. That's one 'puzzle'. Then you have some other things with Drake's journal, but the game tells you when to check it and you don't have to puzzle anything out anymore.

There are a few things like pushing objects and platforming to other things and opening gates with levers, but no real puzzles or something like that, like in Prince of Persia or something.

Omeyocan

There's the one thing they are mentioning with pressing the right things. That's one 'puzzle'. Then you have some other things with Drake's journal, but the game tells you when to check it and you don't have to puzzle anything out anymore.

There are a few things like pushing objects and platforming to other things and opening gates with levers, but no real puzzles or something like that, like in Prince of Persia or something.

Great then. The puzzle you encontered needs a lot of thinking to resolve it ? Was it quite hard to figure it out ?

Thanks a lot Mesijs.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tieno said:

I just wanna play teh demo until I pick up the game on day one rawr.
angry.gif

Mesijs

Omeyocan said:
Great then. The puzzle you encontered needs a lot of thinking to resolve it ? Was it quite hard to figure it out ?

Thanks a lot Mesijs.

I just encountered the second one. :lol The first one was extremely easy, a no-brainer. The second one I had to think a little but nothing you won't solve in the end.

Am at 69% now. Encountered some stronger enemies and stronger weapons. The combat is getting quite tough and I love it.

the_id

Mesijis, I don't mean to be an asshole, but weren't you the one who hyped Conan? I'm just worried my taste will be different than yours...

Loudninja

Mesijs said:
I just encountered the second one. :lol The first one was extremely easy, a no-brainer. The second one I had to think a little but nothing you won't solve in the end.

Am at 69% now. Encountered some stronger enemies and stronger weapons. The combat is getting quite tough and I love it.

I know I keep asking this, but how far you in hor wise now?and good news 2 puzzles!

Mesijis, I don't mean to be an asshole, but weren't you the one who hyped Conan? I'm just worried my taste will be different than yours...

Look around dude, he is not the only one who has a review code or prview code that really like the game.And no Conan was not that bad

Greg

the_id said:
Yeah, and if he likes the game, that must mean Uncharted is terrible.

the_id

Loudninja said:
I know I keep asking this, but how far you in hor wise now?and good news 2 puzzles!

Look around dude, he is not the only one who has a review code or prview code that really like the game.And no Conan was not that bad

I know i know. I'm just wondering if our tastes are the same. Well, the demo comes out tomorrow anyway so we'll see then.

oh and Loudninja, did you buy conan you seem to like it...played it, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.

Loudninja

the_id said:
I know i know. I'm just wondering if our tastes are the same. Well, the demo comes out tomorrow anyway so we'll see then.

oh and Loudninja, did you buy conan you seem to like it...played it, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.

Naw, just played the demo, it was not really that bad

Pachimari

Kittonwy said:
I don't understand, what do they want? The enemies to NOT dodge? Just stand there with rocket launcher like a rock, absorb damage and keep firing at you while yelling "BOOM"?
What people who hasn't played it, doesn't get is, that they don't only dodge bullet, they do it every time with the exact same animation over and over again, at start it's great, but in the end it looks weird.. I get a capoeira (eddy gordo-esque) feeling. It could be solved by now, but it was clearly there in the beta.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh, OK so there are more puzzles than just that one. Not bad, not bad :-D

Mesijs and others, please, please at this point, don't even tell anyone if there's some big surprise in the game. If there's a supernatural element or not, or something like that. Let's try to keep that a surprise if there is something, and even if there isn't, let's try to see if it will make the player guessing until the end.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Oh, OK so there are more puzzles than just that one. Not bad, not bad :-D

Mesijs and others, please, please at this point, don't even tell anyone if there's some big surprise in the game. If there's a supernatural element or not, or something like that. Let's try to keep that a surprise if there is something, and even if there isn't, let's try to see if it will make the player guessing until the end.

I didn't even want to know how many puzzles there were. Far too many spoilers here. 1up were talking about wanting to see puzzles like Soul Reaver. -1 confirmed

Omeyocan

What people who hasn't played it, doesn't get is, that they don't only dodge bullet, they do it every time with the exact same animation over and over again, at start it's great, but in the end it looks weird.. I get a capoeira (eddy gordo-esque) feeling. It could be solved by now, but it was clearly there in the beta.

Hey Mesijs ! Is he right since you have the final copy ?

Thanks.

Basch

Mesijs said:

By the way, Mesijs, if you could ramble on and on about Uncharted (good and bad), what would you say? Remember, no spoilers! What worked for you; what didn't? And for my last question, is it intense? :D Oh, and one more! Is Elena a very fun character to be around? Would you say she is one of the best female leads in video games?

Pachimari

Omeyocan said:
Hey Mesijs ! Is he right since you have the final copy ?

Thanks.
It's not about being right dude, it's about, if the final version has taken care of this animation. Every animation looks great, I'm just talking about the animation that occured every time they were hit once. I love Uncharted, it's the best game I have played this generation even though it was a beta - but critics should NOT be ignored. And I have praised the game over and over again and called it the best game I have yet played this generation, but I'm going to critise were it's due.

Let's say if we have to "nitpick" a little, what would you say are the "bad" points of the game so far?

G-Bus

Banned
Why don't you guys just import the game?

Trying hard not to get hyped up for this game. When ever i do they seem to fall short of my expectations.

Basch

Anastacio said:
It's not about being right dude, it's about, if the final version has taken care of this animation. Every animation looks great, I'm just talking about the animation that occured every time they were hit once. I love Uncharted, it's the best game I have played this generation even though it was a beta - but critics should NOT be ignored.

I think it is a good thing. Especially since a member of Naughty Dog could be reading these forums as we speak! They will want to hear things that they could work on for the next game. They are looking for this particular kind of feedback. Don't worry Anastacio, I'll be looking forward to your impressions as well when you get to play the final review copy this Friday. The more impressions the better: as long as it doesn't include any false statements (Edge, I'm looking at you! :D ).

Top Bottom