• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

I thought that was a pretty poor preview, content wise etc

keep tomb raider out of this...cant be bothered with that tedious series...eh Edge innovative spiel doenst always stick...they def have preference for certain games...hence they scored Halo 3 higher than Bioshock...H3 definitely offers alot more material, it is a refinement though, where Bioshock does bring somewhat of a new experience

deepbrown

nelsonroyale said:
I thought that was a pretty poor preview, content wise etc

keep tomb raider out of this...cant be bothered with that tedious series...eh Edge innovative spiel doenst always stick...they def have preference for certain games...hence they scored Halo 3 higher than Bioshock...H3 definitely offers alot more material, it is a refinement though, where Bioshock does bring somewhat of a new experience
They are interesting to say the least.

hmmm, the thing is I rate the jak games far higher than the TR games, so Im already expecting a far higher quality experience than that game... I dont deny that the first TR wasnt influential...but the substance has always been pretty vacant to me and Lara Croft or whatever was a rather corny digital ass

VonGak!

Banned
Anastacio said:
This one though could be right. I mean, when the camera were fixed at the side as a side/2d platformer, I mis-jumped some few times, but worse was a place were you have to be really precise at landing at a three-branch but I (without taking it out of proportions) had to try at least ten times to make the perfect jump. It have to be said that these moments are very rare though (in the beta).

Very true, bad camera angles can really screw up platforming which is a returning issue in the Tomb Raider games.

I just find it hard to imagine Uncharted having camera issues to the same extend in the final game considering that Naughty Dog handpicked the the guy who did the camera for Prince of the Persia.
One can only hope and I find reassurance in your very rare comment. ^.^

------------

Graphically, Drake’s Fortune is perhaps not so much a technical as an imaginative achievement.

Is there reasoning attached to the quote? Because as it stands it's just yet a jarring sign of how unqualified gaming journalism is.

I mean we all got eyes and can see that it simply isn't true. Simple undeniable logic and fact says that when a game features more polygons per character model, more geometry, better AA, state of the art shaders, state of the art particle effects, more characters on screen, more simultaneous animations, more bones per character model and also includes a ton of effects which other games (which can't even compete in the other aspects) do not include then it's clearly a technical achievement from the developer.
And it's not like anyone can put a finger on things which have suffered in Uncharted like low res textures or low bit-rate sound.

Perhaps the reporters who see them self fit to comment on technical achievements should be forced to make comparisons as it would force them to think and use reasoning.
After all "I think" =/= "I want/hope/have wet dreams about", though it does seem hard for many to comprehend.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
neorej said:
so Ratchet is a too easy platformer because you can land every jump, and Uncharted is too hard because you have to time just right... and both are bad according to Edge :lol

Ratchet is Daddy Bear
Uncharted is Mummy Bear.

Mario Galaxy is Baby Bear - juuuust right.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GoncaloCCastro said:
Demo tomorrow!!! PSN is going to get slaughtered!!
I am getting remote play working tonight for EXACTLY this reason. too bad remote power on wasn't enabled.. oh well, just have to leave my ps3 turned on all day tomorrow.

spwolf

neorej said:
so Ratchet is a too easy platformer because you can land every jump, and Uncharted is too hard because you have to time just right... and both are bad according to Edge :lol

yes

Madman

When all else fails, call out a lack of innovation.

Edge lost all credit with me with their GoW2/Conan scores. Even suggesting that Conan is remotely near God of War 2 is beyond my comprehension.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's a little unfair to say the game has been surpassed by Heavenly Sword in graphics, when Uncharted does seem to have much steadier framerate, even if it's skin shader may not be as advanced. Much like many other things in their philosophy, they didn't want to penalize performance and controllability for just eye candy. Besides, we don't even know what kind of framerate HS would have in it's most complex cutscenes, as they were often pre-recorded FMV, whereas in Uncharted they do all in actual realtime.

But yeah, "tightening fundamentals" so it would be worth of TR comparisons? I can't say for much more, but shooting in Uncharted (which is it's big fundamental) looks like it's on a whole another level of quality when compared to even best TR games.

Marconelly said:
It's a little unfair to say the game has been surpassed by Heavenly Sword in graphics, when Uncharted does seem to have much steadier framerate, even if it's skin shader may not be as advanced. Much like many other things in their philosophy, they didn't want to penalize performance and controllability for just eye candy. Besides, we don't even know what kind of framerate HS would have in it's most complex cutscenes, as they were often pre-recorded FMV, whereas in Uncharted they do all in actual realtime.

But yeah, "tightening fundamentals" so it would be worth of TR comparisons? I can't say for much more, but shooting in Uncharted (which is it's big fundamental) looks like it's on a whole another level of quality when compared to even best TR games.

hmmm, technically I would say Uncharted is at least on a par with HS though...sure, its not eye catching, but the whole game is seemless, and the detail is really fantastic...yeah, HS looks absolutely fantastic...with some tightening, the engine has to be one of the best out there

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't believe anyone would draw comparisons with Heavenly Sword. The engine produced some beautiful visuals at times, but the performance was so lousy that I could not possibly say I was impressed.

Basch

deepbrown said:
This article is by Edge...so here you should find what they say

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7816&Itemid=2

Wow, I thought they were previewing the next Tomb Raider game! :lol

Honestly though, that was a really poorly written preview. What's with all the comparisons to Tomb Raider? I just simply don't see it. They simply couldn't get over it. If you ask me, I'd say they're hoping that the game fails. The article tries to pigeonhole the game into two categories: combat and puzzels. Both of which they say are rather unimpressive. On the puzzeling side, they complain its the same old mechanics you've seen in, to my surprise, Tomb Raider. Because Tomb Raider was totally the only game to feature rotating statues and raising water levels (aka, Half Life 2: yeah, I went there! :D ). Lastly, they complain that new areas don't stick out too well when the whole goal for Naughty Dog was not to make it too obvious. I mean, because in reality, doors totally stick out five feet from the walls to which they are grafted too, and vines have red color to separate them from the green ones so we know which one to climb. Not to mention, just about anyone should be able to climb a vine, so why not just make them all interactive. :lol

Next, they say the combat is not entirely responsive. While it is smooth, it is clumsy. Wait, what?!? Sticky scenery spots?!? What are they talking about? It would help if they could explain the control issues they had, but they don't. They complain that enemies dance around your bullets and is too unfair because they are good shots. You know Nathan Drake is an everyman kind of person. He has probably never fired a gun before, but adapts to the situation regardless. The pirates on the other hand are pirates. If they have taken part in criminal acts, they have probably had experience with guns. And what exactly does this have to do with unresponsive controls? Yeah, I have no idea either. They even go as far as to say Elena is virtually useless when it comes to support when everyone else has been stating in previews she is surprisingly helpful. Was that everything now? Oh, now they think the A.I. is pretty unintelligent when all signs point to the contrary.

Now, what about the graphics and animations? Oh, forget about that. That is just yellow journalism: blatant lies. Now what? The camera? Oh, I just realized something. They must have been previewing the TGS build. Everything sounds oh so familiar. Regardless though, if this is representative of the widely acclaimed "best quality gaming magazine in the world", I'm very glad I wasn't suckered into that piece of... but I digress. :D I look forward to everyone's impressions tomorrow. One more day until the demo; twelve more days until the game: this topic is going to explode!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Elena's website contact page, and attached the map found on the Craig's list page. No reply yet.

dark10x said:
I can't believe anyone would draw comparisons with Heavenly Sword. The engine produced some beautiful visuals at times, but the performance was so lousy that I could not possibly say I was impressed.
Well, some of the best looking scenes in HS were also some of the smoothest. From that perspective, I think the game is still the most impressive looking thing around. But yeah, as a whole, there were spots where it was clear they didn't polish things enough. There was just no reason for that fight on the castle walls to be so sluggish, when it didn't look anything special, for example.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i started watching the GamerTV special...and i stopped....i too much spoilers....I MUST BE STRONG:lol

as for the HS vs Uncharted graphics comparissons, Uncharted gets it for me, simply cuz framerate does'nt look like its dropping, all cut senes are In-Game and amazing gameplay animation(HS is close in that one).

yes HS had tons of Characters on screen but...

Marconelly said:
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Elena's website contact page, and attached the map found on the Craig's list page. No reply yet.

Well, some of the best looking scenes in HS were also some of the smoothest. From that perspective, I think the game is still the most impressive looking thing around. But yeah, as a whole, there were spots where it was clear they didn't polish things enough. There was just no reason for that fight on the castle walls to be so sluggish, when it didn't look anything special, for example.

yeah, art + tech, I think HS is the most impressive looking game out there...bioshock is there as well though.

I expect Uncharted to impress as well though, perhaps more so...though not as much as HS artistically

Pachimari

Basch said:
Wow, I thought they were previewing the next Tomb Raider game! :lol

Honestly though, that was a really poorly written preview. What's with all the comparisons to Tomb Raider? I just simply don't see it. They simply couldn't get over it. If you ask me, I'd say they're hoping that the game fails. The article tries to pigeonhole the game into two categories: combat and puzzels. Both of which they say are rather unimpressive. On the puzzeling side, they complain its the same old mechanics you've seen in, to my surprise, Tomb Raider. Because Tomb Raider was totally the only game to feature rotating statues and raising water levels (aka, Half Life 2: yeah, I went there! :D ). Lastly, they complain that new areas don't stick out too well when the whole goal for Naughty Dog was not to make it too obvious. I mean, because in reality, doors totally stick out five feet from the walls to which they are grafted too, and vines have red color to separate them from the green ones so we know which one to climb. Not to mention, just about anyone should be able to climb a vine, so why not just make them all interactive. :lol

Next, they say the combat is not entirely responsive. While it is smooth, it is clumsy. Wait, what?!? Sticky scenery spots?!? What are they talking about? It would help if they could explain the control issues they had, but they don't. They complain that enemies dance around your bullets and is too unfair because they are good shots. You know Nathan Drake is an everyman kind of person. He has probably never fired a gun before, but adapts to the situation regardless. The pirates on the other hand are pirates. If they have taken part in criminal acts, they have probably had experience with guns. And what exactly does this have to do with unresponsive controls? Yeah, I have no idea either. They even go as far as to say Elena is virtually useless when it comes to support when everyone else has been stating in previews she is surprisingly helpful. Was that everything now? Oh, now they think the A.I. is pretty unintelligent when all signs point to the contrary.

Now, what about the graphics and animations? Oh, forget about that. That is just yellow journalism: blatant lies. Now what? The camera? Oh, I just realized something. They must have been previewing the TGS build. Everything sounds oh so familiar. Regardless though, if this is representative of the widely acclaimed "best quality gaming magazine in the world", I'm very glad I wasn't suckered into that piece of... but I digress. :D I look forward to everyone's impressions tomorrow. One more day until the demo; twelve more days until the game: this topic is going to explode!
It was bad journalism with all the heavy tomb raider comparisons and a lot of it I disagreed with, though it have to be said that he has some small points. About the sticky scenery spots, I think they refer to areas that lead to nowhere (weird complain honestly). And Elena is a really good sidekick, she knows how to shoot enemies down and impressed me a lot. Though, about the enemies dancing - that's completly on the spot. They do the exact same animation every time they get hit once, then they "dance" out of the situation, annoying but you'll get used to it. The game has to be critised were critics are due, even thought it looks to be the most impressive game this year.

dark10x said:

+1

Kittonwy

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
hmmm, technically I would say Uncharted is at least on a par with HS though...sure, its not eye catching, but the whole game is seemless, and the detail is really fantastic...yeah, HS looks absolutely fantastic...with some tightening, the engine has to be one of the best out there

Technically I think Uncharted is doing more than HS in terms of environments that you can access, and clearly higher quality character models, although HS renders a ton of enemies simultaneous.

Basch

Anastacio said:
It was bad journalism with all the heavy tomb raider comparisons and a lot of it I disagreed with, though it have to be said that he has some small points. About the sticky scenery spots, I think they refer to areas that lead to nowhere (weird complain honestly). And Elena is a really good sidekick, she knows how to shoot enemies down and impressed me a lot. Though, about the enemies dancing - that's completly on the spot. They do the exact same animation every time they get hit once, then they "dance" out of the situation, annoying but you'll get used to it. The game has to be critised were critics are due, even thought it looks to be the most impressive game this year.

Do you think this would be because of the animation layering? Then this might not be such a huge problem for physics gurus.

BatmanX

Kittonwy said:
Technically I think Uncharted is doing more than HS in terms of environments that you can access, and clearly higher quality character models, although HS renders a ton of enemies simultaneous.

Am I wrong or Uncharted has a full dynamic camera where hs had a sort of "semi fixed" camera that you can move with r1 and r2? (framedrops and tearing too sadly) If Naughty dog had fixed in the retail versione the vsync issue that I've seen in the preview videos, technically it would be a better effort than Hs even I think that the comparison is a little bit forced here.

calder

Madman said:
When all else fails, call out a lack of innovation.
Yeah pretty much. I'm very interested in this game, but even if I wasn't I'd like to think I'd recognize that preview as shallow and poorly argued... and a pretty compelling example for people who want to claim Edge still overrates games from the ol' homeland on principle.

Shit, it even says "solid, if unspectacular", he must have that there so he can just cut and paste that paragraph into his review and save even more time. ;)

Pachimari

Basch said:
Do you think this would be because of the animation layering? Then this might not be such a huge problem for physics gurus.
Nah, they do it every single time to dodge bullets. The thing is, that it is the exact same animation over and over again.

a little ot: I just noticed I signed up for the forums at my birthday, weird.. I must had nothing better to do, oh well hehehe..

Basch

Anastacio said:
Nah, they do it every single time to dodge bullets. The thing is, that it is the exact same animation over and over again.

a little ot: I just noticed I signed up for the forums at my birthday, weird.. I must had nothing better to do, oh well hehehe..

Well, in theory, its only as fair as Drake's uncanny super dodging. :D Hopefully, it won't be too distracting.

Ammount of dynamic shadows alone puts Uncharted above any other game released so far technically. Edge, because PS3 is just too curvy.

Pachimari

Basch said:
Well, in theory, its only as fair as Drake's uncanny super dodging. :D Hopefully, it won't be too distracting.
It is distracting but let's remember I'm talking about a beta code. I'll give my final impression when I have completed it this friday.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BatmanX said:
Am I wrong or Uncharted has a full dynamic camera where hs had a sort of "semi fixed" camera that you can move with r1 and r2? (framedrops and tearing too sadly)
True, but that's a stylistic choice more than anything. In HS you chould for example aim with Kai, or throw shields with Nariko, and in both cases, camera would go into the kind of view when you could look all the way around.

Ynos Yrros said:
Ammount of dynamic shadows alone puts Uncharted above any other game released so far technically. Edge, because PS3 is just too curvy.
I'd say quality of those dynamic shadows - even more. Remember HS had all dynamic shadows as well, but they were flickery sometimes.

Basch

Anastacio said:
It is distracting but let's remember I'm talking about a beta code. I'll give my final impression when I have completed it this friday.

That was precisely my problem with the Edge preview. They were judging on questionable parts when in fact the preview was just a beta. Silly Edge. :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I got the reply from Elena from her website. The image she sends is just the cleaned up version of the upper left portion of the compass - same thing we did long ago in Photoshop basically.

nelsonroyale said:
yeah, art + tech, I think HS is the most impressive looking game out there...bioshock is there as well though.

I expect Uncharted to impress as well though, perhaps more so...though not as much as HS artistically
Bioshock has awesome art direction but I dunno, it's engine wasn't all that impressive IMO. It's said to be some kind of UE2/UE3 hybrid, and that's exactly what it looked like to me.

Loudninja

The enemies have a tendency to dance from your bullets, and don’t seem like the most intelligent of foes, but they’re good shots and will quickly take you down in the open. Your partner, on the other hands, hangs back and takes potshots but can prove a little useless.

WHa? So many sites stated otherwise, on almost every negative point in the Edge Preivew, who the fuck wrote this?

Marconelly said:
I got the reply from Elena from her website. The image she sends is just the cleaned up version of the upper left portion of the compass - same thing we did long ago in Photoshop basically.

Bioshock has awesome art direction but I dunno, it's engine wasn't all that impressive IMO. It's said to be some kind of UE2/UE3 hybrid, and that's exactly what it looked like to me.

yeah I was just talking about artistically, though the final result was still very pleasing

That preview is retarded. It reads like a review of unfinished code rather than an expository article that tells us about the game. It looks like the writers just couldn't wait until the game was released to start bitching about it so they wrote a "preview" that reads like a review and then called it a preview to avoid being "dishonest." Wanna bet their review reads exactly like this preview and calls it out, saying that not much has changed since their last preview?

Basch

neverknowsbest said:
That preview is retarded. It reads like a review of unfinished code rather than an expository article that tells us about the game. It looks like the writers just couldn't wait until the game was released to start bitching about it so they wrote a "preview" that reads like a review and then called it a preview to avoid being "dishonest." Wanna bet their review reads exactly like this preview and calls it out, saying that not much has changed since their last preview?

That would make me laugh so hard. :lol

Loudninja

Edge Preview:

-They knock the graphics
The knock the AI
They knock the animations
-They compare it to TR

Wow, very bad preview, what build was the playing?

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
WHa? So many sites stated otherwise, on almost every negative point in the Edge Preivew, who the fuck worte this?

I don't understand, what do they want? The enemies to NOT dodge? Just stand there with rocket launcher like a rock, absorb damage and keep firing at you while yelling "BOOM"?

Basch

Loudninja said:
Edge Preview:

-They knock the graphics
The knock the AI
They knock the animations
-They compare it to Tb

Wow, very bad preview

Turkey baster? Well if their comparing it to a barbeque, that's a plus. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
BatmanX said:
Am I wrong or Uncharted has a full dynamic camera where hs had a sort of "semi fixed" camera that you can move with r1 and r2? (framedrops and tearing too sadly) If Naughty dog had fixed in the retail versione the vsync issue that I've seen in the preview videos, technically it would be a better effort than Hs even I think that the comparison is a little bit forced here.

Yes, you can rotate the camera in Uncharted and basically free-look everywhere, HS is pretty limited in that regard, you can pan the camera a bit with the sixaxis as far as I could remember. I don't know how a magazine can knock Uncharted's tech, it's just weird, there isn't any better tech on the PS3 right now, or on consoles for that matter in terms of the kind of graphics features the game is hitting.

Basch

Kittonwy said:
I don't understand, what do they want? The enemies to NOT dodge? Just stand there with rocket launcher like a rock, absorb damage and keep firing at you while yelling "BOOM"?

Let's not bring Halo into this. :lol I agree though, this just means a little more challenge for me, which I love. No complaints here!

Loudninja

I am still trying to make sense of this preview. :/

I don't understand, what do they want? The enemies to NOT dodge? Just stand there with rocket launcher like a rock, absorb damage and keep firing at you while yelling "BOOM

Yeah, i guess they not suppose to dodge, if they did not doge, that would be stupid AI

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
Firmware 2.00, Uncharted Demo and COD4(EU) within 24 hours of each other. Hold me.

zzzhugz.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:
Let's not bring Halo into this. :lol I agree though, this just means a little more challenge for me, which I love. No complaints here!

I was talking about Gears. Halo 3 has good AI, probably more annoying because of the regenerating shield (some brutes take too many head shots even with the sniper rifle even if you aim for the face and not the helmet).

Basch

Kittonwy said:
I was talking about Gears. Halo 3 has good AI, probably more annoying because of the regenerating shield (some brutes take too many head shots even with the sniper rifle even if you aim for the face and not the helmet).

I know, I didn't mean Halo's AI. I agree, it is not too bad. Rather, I was referring to the users who play it. :D

By the way, I completely agree with the brutes comment.

FabCam

So EDGE say it's pretty good but GAF users who have played it 4 times through say it's very good? Who to believe?
GAF FTW!

Geez, that's why I don't even bother with EDGE most of the time. Crap, talk about some arbitrary noncohesive set of standards, and the moment anyone starts spewing "innovation" I really start rolling my eyes, that's has become the most pointless overused buzzword this generation replacing the real question that's far more important....is it good? It's become the easy BS cop-out strike against games instead of being some praise (as opposed to somehow now being the single self-important praise) nowadays.

You can try to be as "innovative" as you want still doesn't mean it has good game mechanics because of it.

It's a good game but it's not innovative enough! Okay...

Top Bottom