• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
alright... so we're VERY close to the demo, I'm scared to get it and ruin the anticipation.

Can I ask what edge said was bad about uncharted? that makes me upset :(, this is supposed to be ps3s GOTY, and so far most of them have fallen a bit short according to edge.

Loudninja

msdstc said:
alright... so we're VERY close to the demo, I'm scared to get it and ruin the anticipation.

Can I ask what edge said was bad about uncharted? that makes me upset :(, this is supposed to be ps3s GOTY, and so far most of them have fallen a bit short according to edge.

Dude ITS EDGE

deepbrown

msdstc said:

Gears and Bioshock fell short as well.

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
Dude, you are going to for 48 hours? :lol

Dude I wish I can just go to sleep like that, that would be awesome. That and I would be well-rested for the demo. Stupid work.
Indifferent2.gif

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kittonwy said:
Dude I wish I can just go to sleep like that, that would be awesome. That and I would be well-rested for the demo. Stupid work.
Indifferent2.gif

Same here the only thing that stops me as well is work and School if only like you said.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PistolGrip said:
Well for one the guy tried to stop the camera from seeing it. I personally think they are toying with us. If you look at the recent Naughty Dog interviews they keep hinting at a Jack and Daxter game. I think they want us to speculate to create some excitement for fans. They know we are going to see that gamertv footage and go OH SNAP!!!!
They keep talking about it in recent interviews, because the interviewers keep asking about it. Their answers are no more than the normal "never say never" non-committal answers you here when a team isn't ready to announce their next project. They could be working on their next game already and it could be a J&D game, but that'd be ignoring the fact that Evan Wells has also said in multiple interviews that they like to work on one game at a time. But I guess we hear what we want to hear.

Pachimari

HomerSimpson-Man said:
You can unlock the ability to play the whole game mirrored? That's neat.
I'm pretty sure I saw two mirroring unlockables.

the_id said:
then it'll reach 50 pages easy. most posts would be from Loudninja and deepbrown and Pistachio. But honestly, a lot of us are hyped for this game which is a good sign...for GAF at least.
Please... Anastacio is my name. =(

Yoboman

kaching said:
They keep talking about it in recent interviews, because the interviewers keep asking about it. Their answers are no more than the normal "never say never" non-committal answers you here when a team isn't ready to announce their next project. They could be working on their next game already and it could be a J&D game, but that'd be ignoring the fact that Evan Wells has also said in multiple interviews that they like to work on one game at a time. But I guess we hear what we want to hear.
We're all very excited about the technology, engine, and development environment that we've created during the production of Uncharted. Believe it or not, even though the push to the end of this project took a huge effort, everybody is already champing at the bit to get started on what's next. We're doing a lot of post mortems to identify what worked and what could be improved across all departments so that we can achieve even more with our next project. As for Jak and Daxter, there are still a lot of people here who would love to work on the franchise again, especially using all of the cool tech that was developed for Uncharted. However, exactly when you might see that is still anybody's guess.

You think that sounds like they're working on it? Or even plan to?

antiloop

msdstc said:

For me it's just about how it stands up to the competition. Which is Tomb Raider as far as I am concerned. :)

and Tomb Raider sucks since part 2.

BatmanX

Loudninja said:
Dude ITS EDGE

Right now I'm quite sure that Uncharted is not gonna get high marks by at least three or four magazines, just like ratchet did.
I'm expecting some 9's but several 8's too. (edge and gamespot to be first of the list of the 8's) And I'm pretty sure that mass effect instad is gonna get *superalative* votes like bioshock and halo3. But first of all I hope to enjoy uncharted very much and that is gonna a great game for me just like it was Resistance and in minor part even heavenly sword that were both bashed by some sites and magazines.
I think that they start to show some love for ps3 with little big planet, MAYBE.

Pachimari

I'd say it's this: the bigger the treasure, the more perilous the adventure. Watch this season and see if you don't agree.

Obviously hinting at the Drake's Fortune episode. Maybe it'll indeed be about more than Sir Frances, Spanish gold and fortune, maybe something dangerous will be the treasure, somekind of life?

Honestly I don't think there'll be that many surprises or twists in the final game, as we have seen too much media for this game already. =/

They said that the environments were occaisionally inconsistent. Some vines you could climb, but identical ones were only decorative, and some large jumps triggered cutscenes when you attempted them, while others saw you plummet to your death.

Pachimari

RubberJohnny said:
They said that the environments were occaisionally inconsistent. Some vines you could climb, but identical ones were only decorative, and some large jumps triggered cutscenes when you attempted them, while others saw you plummet to your death.
They are pretty right about that. I had to run closely to the levels edges and pushing the action button all the time to find out, were to climb. There's some annoying jumping and the animation system caused me to get stucked at some stairs as he automaticly jumped to the side instead of just running down the stairs. But it's pretty rare as well.

deepbrown

Here's another part of the compass!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

waxseal_post.jpg

"if anyone comes across an image of this partial map or can photograph the map, I would be grateful if you could email it to me. In fact, I promise to share any information I find with whomever provides me with a copy of that map."

I suggest somebody emails her, sounds like there's more info there.

RubberJohnny said:

that sounds like a copy and paste of a preview they had several months ago...that I just read 5 mins ago...is it new, or are they just regurgitating arguments...because that old preview also had an hestitant air..Im getting deja vu here

Pachimari

nelsonroyale said:
that sounds like a copy and paste of a preview they had several months ago...that I just read 5 mins ago...is it new, or are they just regurgitating arguments...because that old preview also had an hestitant air..Im getting deja vu here
But that's how it was in the latest beta as well, though very rarely..

Yoboman

Yeah, jumps that trigger cutscenes? I haven't seen anything like that since the first build (which wasn't there in later builds of the same level).

FirewalkR

nelsonroyale said:

Indeed, exactly what I remember from months ago.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
Ahh a preview that takes a shot at the animation. I guess most developers had it right this gen, just reuse last generation animation and previewers are less likely to nitpick the animation.

it's def Edge

Woz

On the Sullivan's blog there's a map with a seal:

MAP-cut.jpg

On the Brothers of Drake's website, there's another seal:

brothers-seal.jpg

On the Helena's blog there are two wax seal:

Drake-Seal.gif

Every seal is different but with some strange text in it... i've tried to compose something:

seal.gif

Any clue? :/

deepbrown

Woz said:
seal.gif

Any clue? :/

We have a bit more than that, here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204610&highlight=uncharted

2jch9n4.jpg

That new seal means we only have two more gaps to fill. And we think it might be a decoder for the symbols on the map...the map which elena asks for on that website...so someone should send it to her, she might send back another clue.

ps. the IX is 9...and not the 1 that we original thought it was. Strangely there's only 8 sections...

Pachimari

Metalmurphy said:
Wait... did that EDGE preview just staded the animations werent fluid and "didnt control well"?...

What?
Yep, and based on the beta it's not true at all. You'll feel it yourself on the 8th.

Yoboman

Graphically, Drake’s Fortune is perhaps not so much a technical as an imaginative achievement.

Less impressive is the animation, which isn’t as fluid (or easy to control) as had previously been suggested: making leaps can be fiddly at times, and it’s possible to feel little kinetic connection to the scenery.

Drake’s Fortune is looking like it will turn out to be an extremely solid, if unspectacular, title.

and (un)worthy of those comparisons to Ms Croft.

Haha good lord really? Talk about being jaded for the sake of being jaded. Seems like somebody pissed Edge's cereal

deepbrown

Yoboman said:
Haha good lord really? Talk about being jaded for the sake of being jaded. Seems like somebody pissed Edge's cereal

Weather's shit over here. Clocks just changed, it's cold and the fireworks were lame.

BatmanX

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Gotta love the age old "is it innovative enough?" qualifier...

I laughed at that too. This preview sounds like a review, really. "Solid but unspectacular"
and they even says that is not quite a technical achievement (worse than heavenly sword that got a 6)
This will not end well :D (but hey, they're the same that gaves pikmin, conker and even gow2 a 7 if my memory is not faulty,so...)

Pachimari

Less impressive is the animation, which isn’t as fluid (or easy to control) as had previously been suggested: making leaps can be fiddly at times, and it’s possible to feel little kinetic connection to the scenery.
This one though could be right. I mean, when the camera were fixed at the side as a side/2d platformer, I mis-jumped some few times, but worse was a place were you have to be really precise at landing at a three-branch but I (without taking it out of proportions) had to try at least ten times to make the perfect jump. It have to be said that these moments are very rare though (in the beta).

When Drake is hanging onto a cliff or something else, I had trouble jumping off it as well and it took various efforts to get it right. At the stairs he simply grapped the side instead of jumping down the stairs, so I were stucked and didn't know how to get down to the stairs again. Frustrating but rare.

And just to list the unlockable skins, here they are:
Allies:
Naughty Dog Drake
Victor Sullivan
Cartoony Drake
Elena Fisher
Drake in baseball shirt

Foes:
Modern Pirate
Henchman (not sure if it was precisely that)
Eddy Rain
Gabriel Roman
Atoq Navarro

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
This one though could be right. I mean, when the camera were fixed at the side as a side/2d platformer, I mis-jumped some few times, but worse was a place were you have to be really precise at landing at a three-branch but I (without taking it out of proportions) had to try at least ten times to make the perfect jump. It have to be said that these moments are very rare though (in the beta).

When Drake is hanging onto a cliff or something else, I had trouble jumping off it as well and it took various efforts to get it right. At the stairs he simply grapped the side instead of jumping down the stairs, so I were stucked and didn't know how to get down to the stairs again. Frustrating but rare.

But isn't that the point? Platforming is meant to be difficult...not easy. It's not easy to jump in real life - he's an everyman remember. What do you want, the two step backs of Lara Croft?

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
But isn't that the point? Platforming is meant to be difficult...not easy. It's not easy to jump in real life - he's an everyman remember.
I know what you mean, but these were errors because of camera and control. It's not difficult to jump around normally and I can do it really fast, but when these faults orcursed it's because of the camera angle and control/or animation system.

Yoboman said:
It wouldn't be a platformer if there weren't mis-jumps
Of course. But you don't understand. These are not because the player are not good at it, it's because of the angle so you don't jump were you actually thought you were jumping, and the other thing is the control, which got him to hang from the side instead of jumping down the stairs.

But as said, it's very rare.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
so Ratchet is a too easy platformer because you can land every jump, and Uncharted is too hard because you have to time just right... and both are bad according to Edge :lol

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
I know what you mean, but these were errors because of camera and control. It's not difficult to jump around normally and I can do it really fast, but when these faults orcursed it's because of the camera angle and control/or animation system.

Well I'll have to see tomorrow.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
antiloop said:
and Tomb Raider sucks since part 2.
to be fair, both Tomb Raider Legends and Tomb Raider Anniversary are really good games. If you do like Tomb Raider 1, you should play them. They are everything that was great about 1 IMHO.

Although to be fair to Uncharted, it seems to not at all be a Tomb Raider clone. If they can keep an actual story flowing with excellent enemy/character interaction, it will provide a significantly different feel than the lonely spelunking for treasure of the Tomb Raider games.

Yoboman

Anastacio said:
Of course. But you don't understand. These are not because the player are not good at it, it's because of the angle so you don't jump were you actually thought you were jumping, and the other thing is the control, which got him to hang from the side instead of jumping down the stairs.

But as said, it's very rare.
You weren't playing a finished product anyway, so we'll see

Woz

deepbrown said:
We have a bit more than that, here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204610&highlight=uncharted

That new seal means we only have two more gaps to fill. And we think it might be a decoder for the symbols on the map...the map which elena asks for on that website...so someone should send it to her, she might send back another clue.

ps. the IX is 9...and not the 1 that we original thought it was. Strangely there's only 8 sections...

Man, I've completely missed that thread!!
Thanks for the headup :)

Top Bottom