• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
VERY good episode. I'm glad they chose to focus on a few characters, and everything ended up being more compelling for that reason.

Also, guys, can you inform me as to that ending? I have mostly forgotten books 4/5, save for some big events, but who were those stone-like men again?

Nothus

Why is everyone assuming that Melissandre needs to be physically near Jon in order to revive him?

As I see it, I think that it will go something along these lines:

- Stannis gets killed
- Melissandre sacrifices Shireen, hoping to bring back Azor Azahi from the dead but then... nothing fucking happens. Stannis stays dead, his soldiers lynch her, as she's just showed that the Light God is a scam and killed one innocent children in the process, too
- Meanwhile, in the other corner of the world, Azor Azahi does indeed goes back from the dead, as Jon opens his eyes, confusing and terrifying everyone

This could end up being a serious mindfuck like no other and a great way to close this season, me thinks

This would be an amazing scene to end the season with. Bravo, sir.

jett

D-Member
Dany's scenes are a black hole of entertainment. Goddamnit. How sad really, after I liked them so much back in S1.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised they managed to include part of Tyrions' travelogue from ADWD. Show's making moves, making moves indeed. I wish they made more massive changes to Dany's storyline, like completely fucking changed. I can barely stand it anymore.

And yea, Jon's getting stabbed up the butt.

I thought "speculation" was supposed to be spoiler tagged? It seems dangerously obvious that that is what's going to happen.

Blatz

Help me out guys. What did Stannis say during the Night's Watch scene. According to WotW, he was correcting Othell Yarwick's grammar.

Also, since they've been laying the R+L=J hints so freaking hard this season, do you think they're setting us up for a twist?

Blatz

Why is everyone assuming that Melissandre needs to be physically near Jon in order to revive him?

- Stannis gets killed
- Melissandre sacrifices Shireen, hoping to bring back Azor Azahi from the dead but then... nothing fucking happens. Stannis stays dead, his soldiers lynch her, as she's just showed that the Light God is a scam and killed one innocent children in the process, too
- Meanwhile, in the other corner of the world, Azor Azahi does indeed goes back from the dead, as Jon opens his eyes, confusing and terrifying everyone

This could end up being a serious mindfuck like no other and a great way to close this season, me thinks

So we should expect a lengthy discussion about Azor Azahi in the next couple episodes to set this up, I suppose.

Like how they talked up greyscale the past few episodes and now it's a major plot point.

I'm ok with this.

As the deviations get greater, the books get spoiled less.

NeoGiff

I thought "speculation" was supposed to be spoiler tagged? It seems dangerously obvious that that is what's going to happen.

If speculation had to be tagged, this whole thread would be black/white bars.

The only stuff that need to be tagged is info based on filming leaks, insider knowledge, and specific references to episode previews.

Help me out guys. What did Stannis say during the Night's Watch scene. According to WotW, he was correcting Othell Yarwick's grammar.

Yes, that's exactly what he did. Yarwyck said "less" when the correct usage was "fewer". Stannis muttered "fewer" under his breath. It was an amusing little callback to Season 2 when he made the exact same correction for Davos.

Spoiler tagging speculation that isn't informed by leaks or such would be absurd. And while that line of thought about the sacrifices as been going around the internet for the past few weeks, it isn't based on anything that needs to be spoiler tagged.

Really strong episode with the exception of all things related to Meereen/Dany. One of my favorite episodes in quite a while, actually.

Can they make it two in a row? Preview makes it look like a possibility.

jett

D-Member
If speculation had to be tagged, this whole thread would be black/white bars.

The only stuff that need to be tagged is info based on filming leaks, insider knowledge, and specific references to episode previews.

Yes, that's exactly what he did. Yarwyck said "less" when the correct usage was "fewer". Stannis muttered "fewer" under his breath. It was an amusing little callback to Season 2 when he made the exact same correction for Davos.

Well, once upon a time a gaffer described the entire ending of Rome disguised as "speculation."

Patriots7

VERY good episode. I'm glad they chose to focus on a few characters, and everything ended up being more compelling for that reason.

Also, guys, can you inform me as to that ending? I have mostly forgotten books 4/5, save for some big events, but who were those stone-like men again?
They're people afflicted with greyscale. In the books, they attack Tyrion and Young Griff, Griff saves them both, being inflicted whilst rescuing Tyrion after he falls over.

I am really, really, really not looking forward to this wedding.

edit: Given my allegiances, I'm really not looking forward to anything in the back half of this season. My ONLY request is that they be done with killing characters that are alive in the books.

bengraven

Stonemen making an appearance could be just because it was a great sequence they wanted on the show, an actual action sequence, and because they wanted someone to get inflicted with it. "The one good part of Dance we can use" - B and B being snarky.

But I still wonder if we'll get a greyscale plague in Westeros and if this is setting it up.

Can Greyscale make you into "The Thing" temporarily? I'd like to see Jorah punch someone across the room with a boulder fist.

Jorah: "It's clobberin' time!"
Daario leading Dany to the bedroom: "you said that right!"

tumblr_mqhzf0YEal1r9jnr0o1_250.gif

I'd also like to point out that for the first time in the show's history, they showcased a dragon flying overhead and resisted the temptation to use either dragonscreech.mp3 or dragonroar.mp3.

It's about time. It was getting as bad as that stock horse whinny sound that filmmakers are obsessed with shoving in whenever a horse moves into frame.

LOL I meant to bring that up, too. It was played beautifully and eerie instead of powerful and "awesome yo". It reminded me a lot of The Mist and the behemoth at the end. Music was eerie and beautiful too. A great, non-offensive scene. :p

In the absence of everyone's favourite buffoon, Face Tyrell, I was forced to gif something else for once.

irvCAF9.gif

Now that I mention it, it's pretty incredible that this episode lacked anything regarding King's Landing (which has always been the show's centrepiece), and still maintained its very high quality. Not that everything else is lesser than KL scenes, but it is the anchor of the show.

That gif is going to get some major play here (Kill it with fire)

As for KL, it really did feel like a Dance of Dragons episode.

Weird way to push the Dany marriage forward.

Yeah, it was really quick and I was shocked.

The look on Hizdahr's face was great. It looked tortured and anguished with the thought, but then he turned and I swear I saw a tiny smile.

I enjoyed Stannis talking to Sam (who was scared as hell : ) ) and I like him looking into the Walkers but what else do they need to know? Fire for Wrights, dragon glass for Walkers. I would be surprised if they found another great way to kill them. Also, who gives a shit WHY dragonglass works, just use it.

I could see them sending Sam away and just having him be out most of next season. They don't really need to show the Citadel. He needs to not be there when/if/WHEN Jon get the Knife. I think Ammon will die before that happens though.

I've been expecting the Frey Pies to stick around for some reason, I don't know why. So I keep thinking Winterhell gets a few Frey visitors...but I don't know who would be killing them in secret. Unless they just have Sansa kill them which would be kind of cool but I don't see it.

Fookin' LOVED Jorah and Tyrion's scenes. Really well done even if it's expected that Jorah gets greyscale. I feel like Tyrion finally seeing a dragon and understanding so many things he never believed in was a huge moment that they played nicely.

bengraven

edit: Given my allegiances, I'm really not looking forward to anything in the back half of this season. My ONLY request is that they be done with killing characters that are alive in the books.

tumblr_no5f5hGjOs1u5wgjvo3_540.jpg

(and not looking forward to the wedding either)

Patriots7

RIP Sansa and her character development :(

bengraven

RIP Sansa and her character development :(

We'll have to see. There was a bit of "new Sansa" in her reactions at dinner and you can see she's taking a bit of pleasure in seeing them squirm. She's not hanging her head and "yes m'lord"ing much. I'm actually hoping to see a scene with her and Myranda where she slaps the shit out of her for what she did with Theon. I can see it now: "You're the fucking kennel master's daughter: go hang out with the rest of your bitches" just before she lights her candle.

bengraven

I wonder if George got goosebumps watching such a fantastic actor as Peter Vaughan saying one of his favorite written lines. "Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Kill the boy...so that the man may be born".

The whole dinner scene at winterfell was hard to watch.

I was a bit disappointed that Ramsay went full on creep on her. I was hoping he would wait to reveal it on their wedding night. "Guess what? I'm Joffrey 2.0!"

bengraven

Gotta admit, I loved Roose in this episode. He had two fantastic scenes with some great dialogue and he pulled it off fantastically.

Also during the dinner scene you see Sansa giving him the "are you fucking kidding me?" look directly to his face, so you know Ramsay's enjoying himself with her already.

Edit: was just thinking they HAVE to do a scene with Walda and Sansa alone together at some point. You know they have things to say to each other. Walda doesn't seem completely vapid.

Kain

Oooook, that was good. It's somewhat refreshing to watch an episode where most of the stuff is completely new, even the WF scenes feel right though I continue to say LFs plot is stupid. I see where D&D were going and I suspect the endgame is strong, but the premise is just bad.

The dragons were great but Dany is just terribad. Bad, bad, bad, bad. Not even Daario and his smugness can carry this ship now, something needs to happen: either she goes batshit insane and starts burning everything (I hope that is the case) or let her die, but she is killing the show. I'm not sure if Tyrion can set things straight.

Oh, speaking of WF, when Ramsay asks Theon to apologize I was expecting Sansa to say "And you, Lord Bolton, are you not going to apologize for killing my brother and my mother?". Maaaaaaaaaaan that would have been badass.

bengraven

I was actually hoping for Theon to not say "for killing your brothers" and to actually say "for you killing...I mean...for me killing your brothers..."

Also, is it just me or did Jorah and Tyrion become bros pretty fast?

It feels like the show is trying to turn Roose Bolton into the new Tywin Lannister. The scenes between Roose and Ramsey are being directed with increasing similarities to Tywin's scenes with his children.

Not sure what you mean there. Tywin's children never walk away from a convo with him feeling good about themselves.

He always finds a way to make them feel like shit.

Neifirst

I've been expecting the Frey Pies to stick around for some reason, I don't know why. So I keep thinking Winterhell gets a few Frey visitors...but I don't know who would be killing them in secret. Unless they just have Sansa kill them which would be kind of cool but I don't see it.
Walder Frey is still on Arya's list, so wouldn't that imply a season 6 appearance on she's finished her training?

graffix13

- Stannis gets killed

YES.

Now I'm going to be disappointed if something like this doesn't happen...

You think you're being funny, but you obviously have not seen the show.

I majored in history in college with a focus on Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo.

I've actually seen the show so I know many aspects of it are fiction, but you can still use history to predict what will happen in the major plot points. Similar to how we can use the ASOIAF books to predict what will happen in alternate reality TV Westeros.

Anyway, this is completely off topic.

Walder Frey is still on Arya's list, so wouldn't that imply a season 6 appearance on she's finished her training?

Well, the Frey pies got served and she is still in Bravoos in the books. It wouldn't mean the end of the Frey story line, it's just some small revenge on some Frey family until Walder Frey gets his face broken.

jett

D-Member
Did he read a history book? Lol

I've actually seen the show so I know many aspects of it are fiction, but you can still use history to predict what will happen in the major plot points. Similar to how we can use the ASOIAF books to predict what will happen in alternate reality TV Westeros.

Anyway, this is completely off topic.

Yes, you can totally use history to predict that (Rome spoilers but not really cuz history books amirite)
Vorenus dies and that Titus Pullo ends up rescuing the illegitimate son he had with Cleopatra

Dat history tho. Dat history indeed.

kirblar

- Stannis gets killed

If this wasn't the plan, it should be. Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom