• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, if you were to draw out a diagram for the books that connected major events you'd probably end up with a gigantic web of circumstances that have led to certain conclusions.

Now eliminate every instance of characters experiencing two things that are different from each other (like success and defeat) in a short time. Then remove all ambiguity. Then assume everyone dies. So every character who would otherwise live out a boring existence must die. Then assume everyone wants revenge for everything. Then throw in Loras having gay sex.

There's the show.

kirblar

1. Yep, rushed, but whatever it takes to speed up Mereen.
2.Yep, feels good. Oldtown, Citadel, more reading, Aemon's sick, Aemon worrying about the last Targaryen. Good good good.
3. Yep, there's no plot there, beyond making some interesting television between 2 plotlines that hadn't met before (Sansa and Bolton's Winterfell).
4. Guess it's a way to introduce more love and romance, but I find no reason to care for either of them.
5. I really feel that lady is a Ramsey Trap. Ramsey even mentioned The North Remembers line. Not liking that one bit. Don't think she's in the same messenger system as the old guy at the inn Brienne's at.
Ramsay wouldn't be stupid enough to use the line himself if he was trying to trick her. He's completely tone-deaf and ignorant of the precariousness of the political situation there.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Guys, if you were to draw out a diagram for the books that connected major events you'd probably end up with a gigantic web of circumstances that have led to certain conclusions.

Now eliminate every instance of characters experiencing two things that are different from each other (like success and defeat) in a short time. Then remove all ambiguity. Then assume everyone dies. So every character who would otherwise live out a boring existence must die. Then assume everyone wants revenge for everything. Then throw in Loras having gay sex.

There's the show.

What else did you expect, the show has limited resources and limited time.

Pkaz01

Arya is the alternate character. She's in every other episode or something.

She was on and off in other seasons as well but nothing close to only being in 2/5 and her scenes have been pretty short too

olly has gotten more screen time than her at this point. What a waste of Braavos

Speevy

Banned
What else did you expect, the show has limited resources and limited time.

No, that's exactly what I expect.

The show runners probably have a giant chart of red ink with things crossed out, and the red ink has been getting thicker as we have gotten closer to ADWD.

Someone in the Night's Watch said 'less', Stannis said 'fewer'.
Ah, thanks. That's funny! I wish I'd caught it.

It all makes sense now. And people thought they dropped the Greyjoy plot when it's been staring us in the face the whole time. Just wait, Jorah will meet Moqorro who will cure his hand so we can get Vicatarion in him as well.

imokaywiththis.jpg

So show really is going to show no Varys until Ep 10?
Varys has never been alone in a scene before, has he? He's only there to further someone else's story. Maybe Varys buys them from the slavers.

Tiktaalik

Not really on topic with your post, but you just reminded me that Randyll Tarly exists. I wonder how the show will handle that. I figure they want to get to him eventually just for his relationship with Sam, but it'll be interesting how they work him in without Aegon. Maybe he's part of the Varys-Illyrio-Doran cabal that seems to have been working for Viserys/Dany?

Interestingly this recent ep just bumped the fact that Randyll Tarly is a person that exists. Maybe he'll actually appear in the show and have some significant role to play in the near future.

Patriots7

I didn't like the Sansa/Bolton dinner scene much. Felt like too much of a reprise of Sansa just getting tormented by other people and being helpless to do anything about it. I was hoping we'd see her playing them.
Yeah...I don't see that happening.

I get the need to compress storylines. Fine. But why spend time creating a pointless love story that has no bearing on the overall story? Grey Worm/Missandei. Ugh.

So far this season has been the best yet
One and Two will not be touched in terms of quality. Mostly because they didn't get too creative.

One and Two will not be touched in terms of quality. Mostly because they didn't get too creative.

Haha, it's cool to see how different people have different opinions on Thrones, simply because how consistently good it is.
For me personally:

1. Season 4
2. Season 3
3. Season 1
4. Season 2

I think I would place Season 5 at either the 2nd or 3rd place about now.

Speevy

Banned
I'm liking Jon Snow a bit more this season than last one, and I feel like we're learning more about Ramsay aside from the fact that he tortures people.

Every season has had a channel-switcher though.

First season it was Dany's march.

Second season it was Qarth.

Third season it was Bran and Stannis.

Fourth season it was Bran.

This season it's probably the sand snakes.

However, I love that there are four major characters (Brienne, Stannis, Jon, and Sansa/Ramsay/Roose) whose paths possibly intersect at Winterfell, or at least they're meeting before everyone goes to Winterfell in Jon's case.

Pkaz01

How dumb was that sansa and theon scene in the kennels?

OH hey forget that im Ramsay's girlfriend who has been giving your dirty looks and I run the creepy Kennel go inside and you'll see a surprise.

Really?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I didn't like that one much, though I did appreciate the increased focus. The show has come a long way from being the awfully thin clip show it was a few seasons ago.

Unfortunately, this episode mostly focused on the worst characters - Jon/Sam, the Boltons, and Daenerys. Jon's stuff was okay, I guess. As good as you could hope for given the circumstances, but the latter two storylines didn't work for me at all. And speaking of Sam, I wonder if the mention of Oldtown was merely world building or if they're actually planning on doing that whole storyline from the books? In a season where everything is being streamlined to death, I'd be surprised if they went that route.

I liked seeing Tyrion and Jorah sailing through the ruins (it being the ruins of Valyria though...lol) - the atmosphere was very well done. I also thought that the scene where they both saw Drogon was handled well.

I get the need to compress storylines. Fine. But why spend time creating a pointless love story that has no bearing on the overall story? Grey Worm/Missandei. Ugh.

Season 2 is probably the worst one.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wish the show would take a page from Orphan Black season 3 and have
Theon hallucinate a little squid that talks to him like Helena does with the scorpion.
:3

Brakke

Banned
Yo those shots of Tyrion and Jorah on that causeway were beautiful af.

Also I'm all about the kinky/fucked up sex politics in Winterfell and you can't stop me.

Grey Word spitting game like whaaaaaat. Finally they smooched. I hope they don't waffle around and just commit to those two smooching all the time. I'm tired of people saying "but he's a eunuch??" And then looking bashful. Eunuchs smooch too whatever just deal with it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yo those shots of Tyrion and Jorah on that causeway were beautiful af.

Also I'm all about the kinky/fucked up sex politics in Winterfell and you can't stop me.

Grey Word spitting game like whaaaaaat. Finally they smooched. I hope they don't waffle around and just commit to those two smooching all the time. I'm tired of people saying "but he's a eunuch??" And then looking bashful. Eunuchs smooch too whatever just deal with it.
Someone should make him a golden cock like they made a golden hand for Jaime.

Speevy

Banned
Someone should make him a golden cock like they made a golden hand for Jaime.

wooden-cock-tyrion.gif

Dany's going the Mad Queen route right? I'm used to boring incompetent book Dany but she basically took complete charge and had that dude roasted alive (was she the one that pushed him?). That would be a huge improvement over her book arc.

Iksenpets

Banned
I didn't like that one much, though I did appreciate the increased focus. The show has come a long way from being the awfully thin clip show it was a few seasons ago.

Unfortunately, this episode mostly focused on the worst characters - Jon/Sam, the Boltons, and Daenerys. Jon's stuff was okay, I guess. As good as you could hope for given the circumstances, but the latter two storylines didn't work for me at all. And speaking of Sam, I wonder if the mention of Oldtown was merely world building or if they're actually planning on doing that whole storyline from the books? In a season where everything is being streamlined to death, I'd be surprised if they went that route.

I liked seeing Tyrion and Jorah sailing through the ruins (it being the ruins of Valyria though...lol) - the atmosphere was very well done. I also thought that the scene where they both saw Drogon was handled well.

Well, I never thought that the stone men would be important enough to make the cut, but here we are. Something big may go down at Oldtown. I don't think they're quite cruel enough to tease a plot like that that they still plan on cutting. If Oldtown is in, I would have to think that boosts the odds of some season 6 Greyjoy plot, since the Greyjoy invasion seems important to whatever is happening in Oldtown in the books. Things may not be quite as slimmed down as we thought, just a lot of things delayed to season 6.

Brakke

Banned
Ehh Jon has to go to Hardhome and come back. Plenty of time for Mel to leave for Winterfell and return to the Wall.

Dany's going the Mad Queen route right? I'm used to boring incompetent book Dany but she basically took complete charge and had that dude roasted alive (was she the one that pushed him?). That would be a huge improvement over her book arc.

She told an Unsullied to push him. Then she put her hand sexy-scary on Hizdhar's shoulder.

Speevy

Banned

If Jon is the hero, someone has to be the villain. It's either Stannis or Dany.

However, Dany needs a much bigger army to be a threat in the end game.

Mel going with Stannis makes me think Stannis wins but only because the wife burns poor Shireen while he's not looking :/ I'm not sure what that means for Jon yet. I can't imagine them not having the stabbing in there but I also don't know what happens if she's not around.

Beric Dondarion still needs to give up his life, if they have completely abanonded LSH

Brakke

Banned
Jon isn't at the Wall either lol. He's got at least two eps before he'll even be back near Olly.

Olly's going to stab him duh.

They could just not have him stabbed in the show and revive him in the books

I really don't think that things that happen in the show matter that much to plot points in the book when so much is changing

Moff

jon will be stabbed, there has been tons of setup
melisandre going away is indeed huge, maybe they freeze his body. maybe they make ghost eat him and melisandre can somehow work with the feces? who knows

anyway, completely fine with Dany being the endgame villain, the only problem is if Clarke can pull that off. she definitely has been best when being badass.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yeah, people seem to not really be talking about this much but it is HUGE.

It's too unclear where they're going with it to say much yet. It could blow up a ton of theories. I would say maybe she's leaving because they're dropping the stabbing altogether, so no need to revive Jon, but they've been dropping way too many hints about discontent among the Watch, and building up Jon's desire to strike the Boltons too much to not be going there.

The decision to move Shireen is what's particularly weird. Mel I could see them just wanting to keep her with Stannis since Jon will be going to Hardhome, and then they could move her back into place later, but why move Shireen? The assumption was that her sacrifice would revive Jon, but now she won't be anywhere near Jon. Maybe Brienne kills Stannis and Shireen is sacrificed to revive him? But in that case, this whole Shireen plot is a show invention rather than something pulled from future events, since none of those characters are remotely close together in the books, and we've all probably been wrong in assuming that the sacrifice of Shireen must be an upcoming book event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom