• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Well, if Littlefinger ignores a request from the queen mother, that would make her become more suspicious and investigate.

LF's undoing will be someone a lot smarter than Cersei I'm sure.

Speevy

Banned
Dany's guards should have grabbed Hizdahr Zo Loraq and walked a few steps towards Dany when she asked to bring the heads of the Meereenese families to her..

foxtrot3d

Banned
Gotcha.

I also never expected V to be full of jungles - more smoking and Badlandish but I'm guessing that no only for budget reasons but practical reasons (toning it down to be less fantasy-ish) they went there.

That's because if it was like the books they wouldn't be able to sail through it. Valyria basically looks exactly the way the ancient cities on the Rhoyne are described in the books. I'd complain but like I said they had to find a non-boring way to explain Valyria to show watchers so the only way to do that was to sail through it. Too bad Tyrion wasn't reunited with his long lost Uncle Gerron.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Best ep of the season so far. I'm glad things are actually starting to happen.

Couldn't help but think this though:

MRbfXLM.jpg

I don't mind moving the Stone Men to Valyria too much. Makes sense for TV show reasons. However, I'm not totally happy about it because 1) I imagined Valyria being grander, and 2) I expected smoking seas and all kinds of terribleness. Not just an old ruin.

eot

Banned
Dany's story doesn't play well IMO. That wedding idea came out of nowhere.
Not that it was good in the books either.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Oh was anyone else weirded out by that crappy stock fight music they played during the Stone Men scene and again in the credits? Usually the soundtrack is right on point but that was some garbage level B movie crap music.

Speevy

Banned
Oh was anyone else weirded out by that crappy stock fight music they played during the Stone Men scene and again in the credits? Usually the soundtrack is right on point but that was some garbage level B movie crap music.

This show's soundtrack is a huge missed opportunity all around, imo.

The way it just reuses house themes over and over just gets on my nerve snow.

bengraven

As far as anyone knows in KL Littlefinger is innocent and hasn't done anything. He's just been gone a long long time.

I was more distracted by the spastic editing. "Blurry arm" "blurry face rawring quick cut away" "something incoherent splashed".

The only thing soundtrack wise that bothers me is that the Winterfell motif is really really short. You get a very short, but brilliant piece of it in the pilot and it goes no where. Whereas something like Rains or the theme song has a longer more recognizable melody. Winterfell is literally five or six brilliant bars, then blah fantasy music.

As far as anyone knows in KL Littlefinger is innocent and hasn't done anything. He's just been gone a long long time.

This episode's Brienne scene suggested that everyone's keeping it a secret that Sansa is in Winterfell, even if the Boltons know about it. That point wasn't communicated very well before, and I still don't buy the idea of Cersei straight up not finding out about it, but yeah, that at least more sense than just sort of openly parading her into Winterfell.

Brakke

Banned

Lol nobody in all of Planetos would refer to Littlefinger as "innocent". I'm sure the show's Faith Millitant wouldn't have any trouble at all to justify giving Littlefinger a solid thwacking on the head, if only for running brothels -- which feature GAY SEX!!!, no less.

I do think that the positive upshot of the dinner scene is that Ramsay foolishly (out of his need to be sadistic) laid out basically all of the interests and divisions between him and his dad that Sansa can now exploit. I wonder if she's going to use his insecurity over the Walda thing to get him to do something stupid to really piss his dad off.

I noticed that when they toasted to the wedding she had nothing to say. She just kind've sat there, not even bothering to raise her glass.

But when the pregnancy was announced, she immediately congratulated Roose and Walda.

The wheels were definitely spinning in her brain.

bengraven

This episode's Brienne scene suggested that everyone's keeping it a secret that Sansa is in Winterfell, even if the Boltons know about it. That point wasn't communicated very well before, and I still don't buy the idea of Cersei straight up not finding out about it, but yeah, that at least more sense than just sort of openly parading her into Winterfell.

Hypothetically she could still be going by the name Alayne in Winterfell. No one in the castle proper are left over from Ned's time and I doubt she's able to leave the keep itself and go into the winter town. Like you said, it's a secret to some, hence the scene with Brienne and the man.

But I don't think anyone who knows she's there wants to tell King's Landing because they're either Bolton or Stark supporters and neither team can afford Cercei to find out.

Lol nobody in all of Planetos would refer to Littlefinger as "innocent". I'm sure the show's Faith Millitant wouldn't have any trouble at all to justify giving Littlefinger a solid thwacking on the head, if only for running brothels -- which feature GAY SEX!!!, no less.

I mean innocent of conspiring. Or successfully conspiring.

Kain

Two random thoughts

Hizdahr is another totally different character from the books, so I'll call him Hugh. Hugh is a weepy kid, totally different from the smiling backstabber from ADWD.

Kit's got it at last. Just like Lena he finally has the character by the balls and plays the part perfectly. It's going to hurt when they stab him.

Morts

[Fugo];163543330 said:
Valyria looked so bland, what a disappointment. They took away like 95% of its mystery aura it has in the books.

Really? I thought it looked fantastic. Very "life after people" thing going on.

[Fugo]

it's supposed to have volcanoes still erupting making impossible even for wildlife to survive, also Valyrian's architecture was supposed to be a lot more grandiose in scope and technique, not just some Angkor Wat-like ruins (which I love but make no sense with what Valyria was supposed to be)

Drazgul

I dug the overgrown ruins, but the sky was a real disappointment. Missed a real chance with that, would've made the place look a lot more sinister and foreboding with some dark red hues.

-griffy-

Banned
[Fugo];163544344 said:
it's supposed to have volcanoes still erupting making impossible even for wildlife to survive, also Valyrian's architecture was supposed to be a lot more grandiose in scope and technique, not just some Angkor Wat-like ruins (which I love but make no sense with what Valyria was supposed to be)

It felt more Roman to me, with aqueduct type structures and the like.
Maro-Roman-aqueduct.jpg

1000px-Valyria_5x05_%284%29.png

foxtrot3d

Banned
[Fugo];163544344 said:

Valyria at its height (from the World of Ice and Fire book):

tumblr_ndz7x40PU11qb9jfwo1_1280.jpg

Brakke

Banned
I thought Valyria looked great. Making it totally Roman would've been too on the nose.

The trip didn't really justify why everyone's so superstitious about it though. The only danger was Stone Men. But Stone Men aren't endemic to Valyria, they get shipped there by the Free Cities...

Arkeband

Banned
I didn't like how they made the Stone Men look.
They were just normal dudes with shit on their face.

The books made them sound like animated statues, their whole bodies petrified, their singular task being to grab onto people and drown them in the river.
The shaky cam also pissed me off. What's going on? They'd rather you not see because the choreography is shit!

bengraven

Sure. I always imagined it like a burning wasteland with Warcraft like fel demons walking around. I guess this was more accurate.

Fairly certain that's basically what it is supposed to be. Though the demons like Asshai might be more subtle horrors.

I didn't like how they made the Stone Men look.
They were just normal dudes with shit on their face.

The books made them sound like animated statues, their whole bodies petrified, their singular task being to grab onto people and drown them in the river.
The shaky cam also pissed me off. What's going on? They'd rather you not see because the choreography is shit!

Budget reasons I guess.

And yeah, they didn't want us to see them completely hence the shitty camera work during that scene.

Moff

valyria looked completely else than I imagined it, I always expected volcano landscapes, liefeless. but it was full of life. I didn't mind it though, I think it looked fantastic. and drogons appearance was just majestic. the stone men were indeed a bit goofy. but I never expected to see tyrion drown in this season, it is really odd to see few small scenes from the books in storylines that have departed so much from them. but I am actually fine with most of the changes.

Dysun

Seemed like Valyria in name only to me, nothing resembling the descriptions in the book. Could have told me it was the Rhoyne and I wouldn't have bat an eyelash

Kain

The thing about Valyria is that people say it's hell because of all the legends surrounding it, but no one goes close to it. I don't remember anyone but Euron saying they have seen Valyria with their own eyes. And Euron might be lying.

I always thought George would pull something with Valyria in the end with people living there or something.

mantidor

Oh man, I am not looking forward to the Ramsay Sansa wedding night >_<

Especially with all the warnings all these actors have been giving

I'm not a book reader but from what I read about fake Arya everyone had their way with her because she was a low born and no one really cared what happened to her, so I feel Sansa is not really occupying her story arch, am I way off? Even when Jeoffrey tortured Sansa he just beat her and even mentioned to "leave her face", and he responded to no one, not even her mother, Ramsey at least hears his father and he already reprimanded him for scaring Sansa at dinner.

Moff

thinking about it, it's odd that no one would go to valyria. I always imagined it as an abandoned island, but looking at the map, it's right there between two of essos' major cities. rich and powerful cities. it seems illogical that no one would ever go there.

He's always been good in his role IMO. This season he took a huge step as an actor

I will always rag on him for his confused dumb look but I'd say he's a solid actor.

I'm not a book reader but from what I read about fake Arya everyone had their way with her because she was a low born and no one really cared what happened to her, so I feel Sansa is not really occupying her story arch, am I way off? Even when Jeoffrey tortured Sansa he just beat her and even mentioned to "leave her face", and he responded to no one, not even her mother, Ramsey at least hears his father and he already reprimanded him for scaring Sansa at dinner.

Hopefully Ramsay isn't terrible to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom