• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I've read the books, but how long do we think Jorah has? If he really is adopting Connington's story, he's bound to make through the season, right? Guess you can't know for sure with how much the plot has been changed recently.

CoolOff

From the other thread:

Jorah's final stand will be as a petrified statue in Danny's bed chamber watching in silent anguish for eternity while Mr High Born and Dorito Najares pound his dragon queen till she squirts fire.

Dorito Najares...

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Great episode. I particularly liked the bit where Aemon said "A Targaryen alone. A terrible thing." and then Jon walks in. lol.

Jorah going to redeem himself then die a stoneman. Olly is totally going to stab Jon. I was wondering if Roose was going to say "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother", but I think that's probably coming soon.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dany's going the Mad Queen route right? I'm used to boring incompetent book Dany but she basically took complete charge and had that dude roasted alive (was she the one that pushed him?). That would be a huge improvement over her book arc.

Taking charge ≠ competent though.

Well, I never thought that the stone men would be important enough to make the cut, but here we are. Something big may go down at Oldtown. I don't think they're quite cruel enough to tease a plot like that that they still plan on cutting. If Oldtown is in, I would have to think that boosts the odds of some season 6 Greyjoy plot, since the Greyjoy invasion seems important to whatever is happening in Oldtown in the books. Things may not be quite as slimmed down as we thought, just a lot of things delayed to season 6.

I mean, anything is possible, I guess, but I have a hard time reconciling that with their whole 7 season plan (which, yeah, may not be a thing anymore). I can't see them spending the time establishing Oldtown (not to mention bringing back the Greyjoys) - in the penultimate season no less- when they're already struggling to properly juggle the storylines they have now. I mean, Arya's only been in two episodes this season and Dorne has been virtually nonexistent thus far.

Speevy

Banned
If the ages turned Dany's dragon eggs to stone, can she de-stone Jorah? Is it like a Han Solo deal or do you have to go crazy? Who were those maesters and apothecaries Stannis had?

Partition

Banned
image.jpg

Beautifully shot ep.

great shot but I can't be the only one that notices how similar the first Jorah/Tyrion scene leaving the shore is to the Jaime/Bronn scene arriving at Dorne's shore to the scene you pictured. It's like they put in zero effort in trying to make the locations look different lol

Speevy

Banned
great shot but I can't be the only one that notices how similar the first Jorah/Tyrion scene leaving the shore is to the Jaime/Bronn scene arriving at Dorne's shore to the scene you pictured. It's like they put in zero effort in trying to make the locations look different lol

Lots more weeds and other vegetation in Dorne, more sand too.

The promo for next weeks episode shows
Theon looking at something horrified. I'm guessing that's the Sansa/Ramsay bedding scene that we were talking about before.

duckroll

Really well executed for what is essentially a setup episode where nothing much happens. The Stannis scenes continue to dominate this season as far as character work goes, so yeah it really feels like he's not going to survive the season. The changes to the books continue to come fast and strong. The Valyria scene was surprisingly well done. Tons of atmosphere, great scenery and scope. Something the show usually doesn't do very well when showing large open areas.

So....

- Lots of Oldtown and Citadel foreshadowing suddenly, so I guess they'll be doing that after all at some point. Maybe not until next season, but they're setting it up.

- Jon is so getting stabbed at the end of the season. They're even making him go with the Wildings to bring even more Wildings back, so when he returns, it'll really feel like he has betrayed the watch and become one of them.

- Jorah is turning into The Thing. I wonder if Greyscale gives you any bonus attributes to close combat and strength. That should come in handy based on the production photo leaks during filming.

- The Dany and Grey Worm stuff were so terribly handled. She basically asked the last person who could give her good advice, and that person tells her that she is the last person who can give good advice. Then when the person tells her "follow your heart" (terrible advice for Dany!), she follows through with it and basically tells her enemy "You were right, now I will open the fighting pits, and I will open my legs for you." Great job, Mother of Dragons!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
More RLJ referances in this episode :D

Also poor Jorah he really has some of the worst luck I've ever seen in a tv-show character.

Speevy

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163487746]Hizdahr zo Loraq be all like "help gaf, my girlfriend locked me in the bathroom then came in at 5am to tell me she loves me what do?"[/QUOTE]

9244401_orig.jpg

Don't ask me.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah my friends and I were joking after that Mel could just be rocking a bikini and feeling fine she's hot actually and also magically but also good for her rocking those dope red threads.

Yo but for real Sansa needs to cover up that décolletage girl must be freeeezing.

Madness

I'm really over Ramsay Snow, Missandei and Grey Worm, and Gilly and Sam's storylines. I just can't stand listening to Ramsay speaking for some reason. Plus, the Grey Worm and Missandei love story added for some reason too. I also wonder how Samwell is still so fat in a place he has to do a shit ton of work, in near winter conditions with little food and rationing.

The Valyria/stone men scene was just what I imagined though. Wonder why they'd have Jorah get the grayscale. Is it integral to the story? I mean they cut out Griff so why have it? Unless Jorah ends up dead and they figure they'll give it an interesting death. Seems like Tyrion is shaping up to be Queen Dany's advisor role. Plus he finally saw Drogon too.

Olly I knew would be the one to stab Jon. From the first time Jon said free folk his face became all screwed up in anger, and then the subtle looks he's give when Jon fired an arrow into Mance or wouldn't really show hatred for the Wildlings. I think he'll come back from Hardhome, hear about Stannis not getting the support he needs or struggle to mount an attack, and want to join them with Tormund and the Wildlings and bam.

Tabris

So based on reading spoilers on wiki, it seems we're getting very close to the end of book content. I wonder if this season will catch almost everything up? Only stories that seem to still have a decent bit to cover are Arya and Cersei? Bran is totally up to date. Tyrion (just needs to have a slaver bring him to Dany) and Dany (some Slaver Bay politics, meet Tyrion, then fly Drogon) aren't that far. Jon, Stannis, Sansa are close (Episodes 7 and 8 for them I assume?)

NeoGiff

Amazing episode.

It's so apparent whenever Bryan Cogman has penned an episode - the writing steps up a plethora of notches and everything seems much more natural and smooth flowing.

Edit: I mentioned in a Watchers thing we did at the start of the season that I hoped scenes in this season would be allowed to breathe more and find their place. I was already happy in this regard after the first four episodes, but this one sealed the deal. Marvellously paced and plotted.

So based on reading spoilers on wiki, it seems we're getting very close to the end of book content. I wonder if this season will catch almost everything up? Only stories that seem to still have a decent bit to cover are Arya and Cersei? Bran is totally up to date. Tyrion (just needs to have a slaver bring him to Dany) and Dany (some Slaver Bay politics, meet Tyrion, then fly Drogon) aren't that far. Jon, Stannis, Sansa are close (Episodes 7 and 8 for them I assume?)

They are moving through material quickly, by the end of the season almost everyone will be caught up to the books. Hell, they might get through everything at this pace.

Madness

GRRM has his ass in high gear. Was reading an article how he's canceling convention appearances, chose not to write any episodes for season 5 and 6 of the show so that his book can come out by next year. After this season, the show will be all new.

I think a lot of damage being done. I'd imagine one of the big shocks of Winds of Winter would be Barristan, after having several PoV chapters, being assassinated in Mereen while Dany hasn't returned. But the show did it first, so it'll be somewhat hollow if he does indeed go in books now, no?

NeoGiff

I'd also like to point out that for the first time in the show's history, they showcased a dragon flying overhead and resisted the temptation to use either dragonscreech.mp3 or dragonroar.mp3.

It's about time. It was getting as bad as that stock horse whinny sound that filmmakers are obsessed with shoving in whenever a horse moves into frame.

Real Hero

I think a lot of damage being done. I'd imagine one of the big shocks of Winds of Winter would be Barristan, after having several PoV chapters, being assassinated in Mereen while Dany hasn't returned. But the show did it first, so it'll be somewhat hollow if he does indeed go in books now, no?
Why? You still don't know if that's going to happen so I don't see why it would be.

duckroll

It feels like the show is trying to turn Roose Bolton into the new Tywin Lannister. The scenes between Roose and Ramsey are being directed with increasing similarities to Tywin's scenes with his children.

GRRM has his ass in high gear. Was reading an article how he's canceling convention appearances, chose not to write any episodes for season 5 and 6 of the show so that his book can come out by next year. After this season, the show will be all new.

Twists and surprises aren't everything. Even if Barristan's book death is now known (which it isn't) it doesn't really matter.

Madness

Why? You still don't know if that's going to happen so I don't see why it would be.

Obviously it'll all be well written and exhilarating to read, but I just mean, I was a show watcher first, and so seeing Ned executed and that quick finality of it, and then later reading about it, just wasn't the same because I was expecting it. I didn't necessarily mean to say hollow, but just like, whatever GRRM has planned now for Barristan, I'm going to expecting he's going to die. Maybe it won't be the same way, maybe it will. But I'm going to assume it'll happen.

I didn't like they killed him last week, especially in that fashion, but Steelyuhas and others brought up the point, what a way to go, this legendary Knight, known all over Westeros, ordinary battles of his became tales of legend for others, gets shanked in a back alley by a slave owner wearing a mask in a shithole across the world. So now, reading about it, maybe GRRM had planned the same thing, maybe he didn't. I don't know maybe I'm just rambling on.

TTG

Don't remember the books nearly as well as a lot of posters here, but before this season is over, I'm guessing we get:

- Jon getting poked. I wonder if this will be a major divergence from the books or if they kill him.
- Tyrion is on the door step, maybe he gets a glimpse, but goes no further. Maybe reunited with Varys? If Dany's thing follows the book there may not be room for even a door step deal. Upheaval in Marreen etc.
- Brienne rescues Sansa from the Bolton/Stannis battle. Outcome of battle may be uncertain.
- Cercei's plot seems to be by the book, play that out. Maybe with Little Finger gleefully watching on, a surreptitious smile or something on his face.
- Maybe Jaime in Dorne gets resolved, maybe he spends another season over there
- Sam is off to Old Town.

For final shots maybe we see Dany back with her dragons and Whitewalkers behind the gate?

Moff

It feels like the show is trying to turn Roose Bolton into the new Tywin Lannister. The scenes between Roose and Ramsey are being directed with increasing similarities to Tywin's scenes with his children.

it's certainly not a conicidence that stannis had a similiar scene with shireen this season. with a different outcome of course.

and I agree that bolton is indeed somehow a northern tywin, we even talked about that briefly last season. I think that's generally a great idea, I just hope he lasts.

Madness

The end of the episode thanked the Provinces of Quebec and BC and Canada for film tax credit etc. Was anything in this episode filmed in Canada or something? I can't remember seeing that before. Usually you only see Croatia and Northern Ireland. Last week didn't have it either.

Joni

Yeah, this makes me think, if Melisandre isn't staying, who's gonna revive Jon?
Maybe they'll just kill him. Maybe they won't do it entirely.

Kit wants to leave so maybe they'll just kill him.
Or maybe it is all an act, the season ends with Jon dead, Melisandre at Winterfell, Kit cutting his hair and looking like he isn't coming back. Surprise around episode 3-4, she comes back and revives him.

NeoGiff

Kit wants to leave so maybe they'll just kill him.
Or maybe it is all an act, the season ends with Jon dead, Melisandre at Winterfell, Kit cutting his hair and looking like he isn't coming back. Surprise around episode 3-4, she comes back and revives him.

You're really entertaining the idea that Kit cutting his hair is a sign he wants to leave the show? Jesus...

Joni

You're really entertaining the idea that Kit cutting his hair is a sign he wants to leave the show? Jesus...
No, I'm saying it is a nice way to pretend. He complains he can't cut his hair because of the show, so if the show makes it seems like he is dead and he does stuff like that, it could work to convince people they aren't reviving him.

Ikael

Yeah, this makes me think, if Melisandre isn't staying, who's gonna revive Jon?
Maybe they'll just kill him. Maybe they won't do it entirely.

Why is everyone assuming that Melissandre needs to be physically near Jon in order to revive him?

As I see it, I think that it will go something along these lines:

- Stannis gets killed
- Melissandre sacrifices Shireen, hoping to bring back Azor Azahi from the dead but then... nothing fucking happens. Stannis stays dead, his soldiers lynch her, as she's just showed that the Light God is a scam and killed one innocent children in the process, too
- Meanwhile, in the other corner of the world, Azor Azahi does indeed goes back from the dead, as Jon opens his eyes, confusing and terrifying everyone

This could end up being a serious mindfuck like no other and a great way to close this season, me thinks

NeoGiff

In the absence of everyone's favourite buffoon, Face Tyrell, I was forced to gif something else for once.

irvCAF9.gif

Now that I mention it, it's pretty incredible that this episode lacked anything regarding King's Landing (which has always been the show's centrepiece), and still maintained its very high quality. Not that everything else is lesser than KL scenes, but it is the anchor of the show.

Why is everyone assuming that Melissandre needs to be physically near Jon in order to revive him?

- Stannis gets killed
- Melissandre sacrifices Shireen, hoping to bring back Azor Azahi from the dead but then... nothing fucking happens. Stannis stays dead, his soldiers lynch her, as she's just showed that the Light God is a scam and killed one innocent children in the process, too
- Meanwhile, in the other corner of the world, Azor Azahi does indeed goes back from the dead, as Jon opens his eyes, confusing and terrifying everyone

This could end up being a serious mindfuck like no other and a great way to close this season, me thinks

As much as I don't want the Mannis to go, that sounds amazing.

- Stannis gets killed

Isn't the Red Priests resurrection achieved via some sort of kiss?

CoolOff

- Stannis gets killed

Shiiii this needs to happen.

duckroll

I don't want Shireen to be a child sacrifice. That would really disgust me. :(

In terms of shock value, that idea works really well, but I just don't want it to happen.

Madness

I didn't even look closely but from the first time they show a little bit of that crumbled piece of Roman Colliseum looking Valyrian architecture, you can make out like 50+ Stone Men just sitting like stone Gargoyles all over. Obviously the one who moves forward is the most visible, but you can see some sitting at the very top. In the books, aren't they walking overhead some bridge and would wail or get angry when ships would pass underneath? But that whole scene played out almost identical to my imagination.

I wonder if there is some significance to moving the Stone Men to Valyria, giving it to Jorah. Maybe dragonfire cures their affliction?

Obviously it'll all be well written and exhilarating to read, but I just mean, I was a show watcher first, and so seeing Ned executed and that quick finality of it, and then later reading about it, just wasn't the same because I was expecting it. I didn't necessarily mean to say hollow, but just like, whatever GRRM has planned now for Barristan, I'm going to expecting he's going to die. Maybe it won't be the same way, maybe it will. But I'm going to assume it'll happen.

I didn't like they killed him last week, especially in that fashion, but Steelyuhas and others brought up the point, what a way to go, this legendary Knight, known all over Westeros, ordinary battles of his became tales of legend for others, gets shanked in a back alley by a slave owner wearing a mask in a shithole across the world. So now, reading about it, maybe GRRM had planned the same thing, maybe he didn't. I don't know maybe I'm just rambling on.

Selmy already has TWOW material released.
It looks like George is setting him up for a spectacular ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom