• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

Why is everyone assuming that Melissandre needs to be physically near Jon in order to revive him?

As I see it, I think that it will go something along these lines:

- Stannis gets killed
- Melissandre sacrifices Shireen, hoping to bring back Azor Azahi from the dead but then... nothing fucking happens. Stannis stays dead, his soldiers lynch her, as she's just showed that the Light God is a scam and killed one innocent children in the process, too
- Meanwhile, in the other corner of the world, Azor Azahi does indeed goes back from the dead, as Jon opens his eyes, confusing and terrifying everyone

This could end up being a serious mindfuck like no other and a great way to close this season, me thinks

That would be great. but, you know what would also have been great?
The speculation about the last season ending

it was going like this:
- bran taps into tree-internet
- Music "the children" plays
- we zoom out of the place where bran is and fly over Westeros to the wall and see what jon is up to
- somewhere we could also include Rickon
- next we fly to Sansa
- then we fly to Arya, sailing away
- and in the last shot we get a zoom in on lady Stoneheart

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it was too cool, we didnt get it. So I dont have high hopes for "Fuck Yeah! moments as a Season ending.

bengraven

Drazgul: He's basically playing Littlefinger but with an Irish growl instead of the bad British growl.

Lol, how did you manage to quote someone else as saying what I said?

I've been bad about having multiple things selected on the far left next to "quote" even when I've already quoted them, so I had to delete everything. So I was quoting you both, but he was first. Since I was only referencing the last thing you wrote to keep from re-pasting a block I think I deleted everything up to the first "bracket quote equals" part which just so happened to be the thing I didn't realize I was quoting....if that makes sense.

Bottom line is I edited and did a TERRIBLE but funny coincidence. :p

Edit: playing 3DS and talking about GOT could have been another reason.

Timbuktu

Ever since I saw Deadwood, Ian McShane has been my #1 choice for Randyll Tarly.

Cocksucker would out-act everyone on the show. Just imagining a potential scene between him and John Bradley makes me one fuckin' happy dirt-worshiping heathen.

I had waited for years for him to be on Justified.

Put me on the Valyria was dull train. To be honest I don't think there's any need to make the magical land of death and doom low key when you already have fantastical elements like Dragons and magic. Valyria's meant to be where all the crazy comes from so it's pretty disappointing that it's just some ruins.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It was totally pointless to make that valyria.

Not pointless, they needed to drop back story on Valyria. We forget that Valyria is hardly mentioned at all in the show. And because it's film, better to show than tell. However, it is still a huge let down.

Description of Valyria now in the World of Ice and Fire:

The World of Ice and Fire: Ancient History: The Doom of Valyria said:
The Freehold of Valyria and its empire were destroyed by the Doom, but the shattered peninsula remains. Strange tales are told of it today, and of the demons that haunt the Smoking Sea where the Fourteen Flames once stood. In fact, the road that joins Volantis to Slaver's Bay has become known as the "demon road," and is best avoided by all sensible travelers. And men who have dared the Smoking Sea do not return, as Volantis learned during the Century of Blood when a fleet it sent to claim the peninsula vanished. There are queer rumors of men living still among the ruins of Valyria and its neighboring cities of Oros and Tyria. Yet others dispute this, saying that the Doom still holds Valyria in its grip.

A few of the cities away from the heart of Valyria remain inhabited, however—places founded by the Freehold or subject to it. The most sinister of these is Mantarys, a place where the men are said to be born twisted and monstrous; some attribute this to the city's presence on the demon road. The reputations of Tolos, where the finest slingers in the world can be found, and of the city of Elyria on its isle, are less sinister, and less noteworthy as well, for they have made ties to the Ghiscari cities on Slaver's Bay and otherwise avoid involvement in any efforts to reclaim the burning heart of Valyria

Timbuktu

I'm really loving STANNIS even more in the show now.

I'm just coming to grips now that I guess that means he'll die soon.

Fucking damn. He's the only one who deserves to sit on the throne, dammit :(

Stannis losing again would be anticlimatic, winning wars is what he's supposed to be good at but will just be made to look ridiculous.

I thought Valyria looked alright, feels loke they looked at some Capser Friedrich paintings.

Ian McShane for Randyll Tarly would be glorious. I still can't believe they haven't used McShane in some capacity yet.

Every couple of months I like to Google search Deadwood, on the miniscule chance we'll magically be getting a film/Season 4. It's like tearing open an old wound.

jett

D-Member
[Fugo];163551514 said:
Exactly, the ruins look NOTHING like they derived from this, which is a sort of a fantasy-futuristic place with magic technology, far more advanced than any current place in the ASOIAF world.

And where is the violent and continous volcanic activity? Where is the ominous sky? Where are the strong currents?

I'm not a nitpicker, I was ok with past changes in the show since at least they delivered something similar.

The show's depiction of Valyria is just bad and not up to par.

The only way they can amend this is retconning it latet saying that they just passed by the ruins of a slave city to Valyria at the very margin of the Doom area, and then show what the REAL Valyrian ruins are about.

Shouldn't really be a surprise. The show tones down and represses most of the more fantastical, "out there" elements of the books.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I would be really devastated if he'd lose another battle or losing himself out of desperation.

I'm not convinced he'll lose because usually people die and lose when they are confident in their plan that s explicitly laid out. At least right now in the books Stannis has everything going against him and we don't have a real idea of what his plan is, although there is a nice theory. That said, in the Theon TWOW Sample Chapter
I started to get a little worried because Stannis seemed so confident.

Theon said:
"Lord Ramsay is the one Your Grace should fear."
Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

Confidence makes me scared that a character will die, of course the show may end up killing Stannis while book Stannis continues on.

Snake

I'd imagine that a "volcanic nightmare Valyria" depicted on the show would look pretty bad/cheap and I liked the scene on its own merits so I won't complain. I'm kinda surprised that so much of JonCon's story is being condensed into Jorah though.

I'm not convinced he'll lose because usually people die and lose when they are confident in their plan that s explicitly laid out. At least right now in the books Stannis has everything going against him and we don't have a real idea of what his plan is, although there is a nice theory. That said, in the Theon TWOW Sample Chapter
I started to get a little worried because Stannis seemed so confident.

Confidence makes me scared that a character will die, of course the show may end up killing Stannis while book Stannis continues on.

It's that picture from a trailer where Stannis' wife is on the ground looking extremely worried. That's what gives some kind of dreadful feel that there's something bad is gonna happen

Speevy

Banned
It's that picture from a trailer where Stannis' wife is on the ground looking extremely worried. That's what gives some kind of dreadful feel that there's something bad is gonna happen

To Melisandre or Stannis.

Though I'm not sure how Melisandre gets back to anyone if Stannis is defeated.

I'd imagine that a "volcanic nightmare Valyria" depicted on the show would look pretty bad/cheap and I liked the scene on its own merits so I won't complain. I'm kinda surprised that so much of JonCon's story is being condensed into Jorah though.

I suppose what's especially interesting about it is that you've got [greyscale dude] going to Westeros in the books and [greyscale dude] going to Meereen on the show.

ALTHOUGH.

I could totally see D&D also condensing greyscale and the "pale mare" dysentery plague that is just beginning to hit ADWD into one thing.

Speevy

Banned
I could totally see D&D also condensing greyscale and the "pale mare" plague that is just beginning to hit ADWD into one thing.

Jorah's already confirmed for the fighting pits so there's your pale mare.

Dany will completely stop the sons of the harpy only to have her entire army turn into stone men.

This is her incentive to murder everyone in Meereen.

Will Varys rescue Tyrion somehow?

NeoGiff

I think it's poor Shireen being burned.

And then, when it's absolutely too late, Selyse finds some humanity in herself and finally cares for her daughter.

Snake

I suppose what's especially interesting about it is that you've got [greyscale dude] going to Westeros in the books and [greyscale dude] going to Meereen on the show.

Yup.

I would have just written it off if it had been the only greyscale thing to happen, but greyscale-chat has had more screen time than some main characters this season. It's never been more apparent that it's important to the endgame and I have no idea how this divergence is compatible with whatever is to come.

Though I guess Jorah could borrow Littlefinger's warp drive and make it Westeros in episode 10.

Yup.

I would have just written it off if it had been the only greyscale thing to happen, but greyscale-chat has had more screen time than some main characters this season. It's never been more apparent that it's important to the endgame and I have no idea how this divergence is compatible with whatever is to come.

Though I guess Jorah could borrow Littlefinger's warp drive and make it Westeros in episode 10.

Not necessarily the endgame, tbh. TWOW isn't endgame.

It's also arguably possible that JonCon's greyscale isn't important, but Shireen's greyscale is and so is the Meereen plague.

Any number of ways it could go, still. *shrugs*

Hell, it's even possible that JonCon's greyscale is important, Shireen's isn't, but that she'll somehow occupy some tiny greyscale-related part of his role in the show and serve as a replacement.

bengraven

At this point it could very easily be Mel, Pod, Brienne, and Sansa heading back to the wall. Probably will be dragging along Gendry, Balon Greyjoy, and fucking Moonboy for all we know.

I would have been okay with a few CGI smokes.

"Look Tyrion," the god-like voice of Jorah says, "It still BURNS."

End scene. Fans happy.

Speevy

Banned
You guys are forgetting that this show has a large group of fans who like to pretend its more fantastic elements are grounded in reality.

Having a crazytown Valyria would put off some people. Trust me. I'm related to one of them.

They like to pretend this isn't a fantasy show, just a show based on medieval stuff.

Patriots7

If they're diverging from the book, I wonder why not use Sansa's trip North to flesh out Howland Reed?

We know he exists, and this season would be great to introduce him (given his children were heavily featured last season and Jojen died).

ZeroRay

I can accept them going through the islands outside the mainlands of Valyria, the same ones Victarion and Co went through in the books.

Either way, don't really mind the depiction, just wasn't as imposingly scary as described in the books. (you could see the red hellsky leagues away from the coast while sailing)

Euron

If they're diverging from the book, I wonder why not use Sansa's trip North to flesh out Howland Reed?

We know he exists, and this season would be great to introduce him (given his children were heavily featured last season and Jojen died).
I'm not sure how they can do that when he's in King's Landing at the moment.

I don't actually believe that theory at all and would love to have Howland make an appearance up north. It has to be subtle though and they need to somehow mention him before the reveal.

-griffy-

Banned
Do we have episode titles and or synopsises for 9 and 10? If not, when can we expect them?

9 is supposedly titled
"The Dance of Dragons"
as per some jumble of HTML on the HBO website. 10 is still unknown I believe, and no descriptions for either.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I haven't seen this season yet, but I've been following both threads every Sunday and the difference between threads is rather amusing to me.

When it comes to how I view the books and the show, I see it this way: imagine you've made a grocery list for yourself. You total everything up, and it comes to about $150.

You check your wallet: you only have $50. So what do you do? You compromise and make sacrifices. Yes, Game of Thrones is a behemoth success for HBO, but there is only so much money they can throw at a 10 hour production. We were never going to get a 1:1 port of the books to the screen. A movie budget wouldn't have changed that either. They set a plan of a 10 episode season. Then the people with the money decide how much per episode they're given, and the entire crew has to work with it.

We were never going to get book Valyria. I guess they could have matte painted the fuck out of it, but that could have turned out worse. I saw the inside the episode clip that had some of the Tyrion Jorah scene in it, and it looked amazing to me. About what I could expect for a tv show with 5 more episodes to go for this season.

I know people have been praising this episode for focusing on only a few characters, but I imagine that had about as much to do with the budget as it did them wanting to let character arcs breathe.

Laconic

Banned
I haven't seen this season yet, but I've been following both threads every Sunday and the difference between threads is rather amusing to me.

When it comes to how I view the books and the show, I see it this way: imagine you've made a grocery list for yourself. You total everything up, and it comes to about $150.

You check your wallet: you only have $50. So what do you do? You compromise and make sacrifices. Yes, Game of Thrones is a behemoth success for HBO, but there is only so much money they can throw at a 10 hour production. We were never going to get a 1:1 port of the books to the screen. A movie budget wouldn't have changed that either. They set a plan of a 10 episode season. Then the people with the money decide how much per episode they're given, and the entire crew has to work with it.

We were never going to get book Valyria. I guess they could have matte painted the fuck out of it, but that could have turned out worse. I saw the inside the episode clip that had some of the Tyrion Jorah scene in it, and it looked amazing to me. About what I could expect for a tv show with 5 more episodes to go.

I know people have been praising this episode for focusing on only a few characters, but I imagine that had about as much to do with the budget as it did them wanting to let character arcs breathe.

But the show got Emilia and Kit.

So really, at most, you're looking at $25 spent, total, in that analogy.

Madness

So the old lady with Sansa is definitely a Ramsay psychological mind game right? Let's see if Naive Sansa buys into it or is smart enough to realize. I mean come on, Winterfell was burned, the people killed. Most of the Northern lords dead at Red Wedding and Roose and the Boltons leave the Dreadfort and come to Winterfell. They're not going to allow Winterfell people to have prominent roles. The old lady seems like original Reek's mother, all psycho and what not.

The showrunners and directors are smart to cut from Brienne scene asking for help back to the old Lady saying light the candle in the broken tower if you ever need help. If Sansa does it, Ramsay will see she's not loyal and probably will rape her there or something. I mean look at the mind games he played with Theon.

Obviously the North Remembers, which comes to my next point, Ramsay said the exact same thing during dinner. It's just too convenient for the show no? Anyone else thinking this? That it's all a ploy, Ramsay and Myranda will play games with her, the old lady will ingratiate herself with Sansa, blah blah. Theon is the only help she has at Winterfell. Thoughts? Or am I way off base?

Speevy

Banned
I think you can pretty much book on episode 10 being "For the Watch"

Jon defend the wildlings in 8, returns in 9, gets killed in 10.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Has GRRM ever alluded to him telling us what happened in Valyria, or is it supposed to remain a mystery?

TWOIAF book gives some details or rather theories as to what happened which in turn seemed to confirm a certain fan theory, mainly that the Faceless Men are responsible for the Doom. Based on the information in the book it seems that too any of the warlocks responsible for maintaining the Fourteen Flames were assassinated resulting in them all exploding at once. The book postulates that these assassinations could have been the result of the endless political fighting between the various Houses of the Freehold. So whether the Faceless Men actively and independently sought to destroy Valyria or the Valyrians essentially did it to themselves by hiring them to assassinate rivals is anybody's guess.

I doubt that the FM independently did it since what we know of their code they are only the instrument of death and do not go out choosing to give it freely. The idea that the Valyrians did it to themselves could also be supported by another seemingly unconnected historical description in the book, the forging of Brightroar the Lannister ancestral sword. It's said that the weight of gold the Lannisters paid to the Valyrians to craft it "would have been enough to raise an army." Thus, as the theory goes, the Valyrians used this new wealth to hire the FM who in turn killed too many of the warlocks, upsetting the magical balance and erupting all of the Fourteen Flames.

Massa

I can accept them going through the islands outside the mainlands of Valyria, the same ones Victarion and Co went through in the books.

Either way, don't really mind the depiction, just wasn't as imposingly scary as described in the books. (you could see the red hellsky leagues away from the coast while sailing)

You could think that Valyria is much scarier than what we saw but Tyrion and Georah were knocked out before making it to the first boss fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom